“Relaxing, great food, awesome service!”

Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
“Relaxing, great food, awesome service!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful experience here! The staff was incredible, food delicious! Always a fabulous sunset during dinner. We had a great time renting a golf cart for a day and exploring the island, did it twice. Just a short walk away you can swim with the dolphins and manatees, what a blast that was!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Loulag81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago
Reviewed November 6, 2013

If possible I'd want to give a 3.5 rating and not a 4. I wouldn't say it's "very good" but it was good, and above average. I really wanted to love this place because it has amazing reviews. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
Beautiful swimming pool
Tasty pizza and fresh fish
Private beach
Nice hot tub
Extremely clean (minus the cockroach)
Very good service

Cons:
-Our hot tub in our room was broken, and it took a few hours for them to fix it. Annoying.
- HUGE cockroach in the bathroom. GROSS.
- They played terrible music.....like 80's love songs. I wanted something upbeat, something with local flavor! They were playing like Phil Collins and Michael Bolton!
-TINY beach. Could not walk anywhere. Would have preferred a bigger private beach. I've been to much bigger before.
-Extremely overpriced food. Some of the items were pretty good but most were average
-the massage was BAD. The spa was clean and they were friendly but the actual massage was terrible. They also told me one price on the phone but charged me another price

I probably would not go back here, not that it wasn't nice but I would want to try other things.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NBADancer
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel is adequate with friendly staff and a decent restaurant. The location is out of the way and if you like to explore different restaurants, etc., you will need a car or a cab (we tried to rent a golf cart at the hotel and only once was one available). I purchased a Living Social deal for this hotel, which included round-trip transportation from Cancun to Isla Mujeres. The hotel manager, however, charged us $80 for the return trip to Cancun. Neither the hotel nor Living Social would honor the conditions of the deal, with Living Social simply washing their hands of the issue. I certainly could find a comparable vacation spot within the same price range without these deceptive practices.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Clare G
Pinehurst, Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We went last week and stayed for 7 days. The hotel staff was great and the food was excellent (as some may say a little over priced) but they go out of their way to please. They were out of lobster one night and the Chef made a couple of calls after 9pm and by 10pm we had 4 lobsters ready for us.
Rooms were nice, staff was great, and service was great epically by the pool Jorge and Jorge! 10 of us traveled together and the staff didn’t miss a beat.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Greg W
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is our second visit to Casa Villa Rolandi and once again most enjoyable. We booked our stay several months ago with Dalia the Reservation Manager. From the beginning Dalia was most helpful and prompt with any inquires we had. We dealt with Victor last year however he has moved on to travel and was also very helpful to us then. This leads me to the point that indeed employees in any business come and go, however, the staff at Casa Villa Rolandi pretty much stays the same. It's our second stay however when discovering the hotel 4 years ago and going for dinners while visiting the island, not much has changed with the faces and names. You can tell that the company, who owns other restaurants, treats their employees very well.

As usual the flight from NY landed in Cancun and our transportation arranged by the hotel was prompt and drove us to the private yacht. We waited only ten minutes and off we went to Isla Mujeres. The yacht tenders guest coming and going from the hotel so there may be a couple minute wait from time-to-time and they advise you of this before hand. The hotel's private yacht service is extraordinary as they motor through the crystal blue waters en-route to the hotel's private dock. Once docked we were immediately greeted by hotel staff. A front desk employee (greeting with warm face towels), bellmen (luggage), dock hand,(assistance off the yacht) and restaurant server (two glasses of mimosa) were all there to offer first-class arrival service.

This time around we reserved 6 nights and opted for the dinners included. The American breakfast is always included and it's very good. There's so much to choose from and you can have it delivered to the room or you can stay in the restaurant. We did both during our stay and it's nice to have it on your balcony but by no means is the restaurant a bad way to go. While I'm on the subject of food and the restaurant at Casa Villa Rolandi I must say that it's extremely exquisite stuff! We are from the NYC area and I know a thing or two about food. I've never been away and experienced such great service and food! Some reviews will suggest that this restaurant is overpriced. I think everything in travel is relative to your expectations. This is some of the best food I've ever had including at NYC eateries. And as far as food in the islands and Mexico, this is the very best! Chef Fabrizio "that's right, from Italy" dazzles you with fabulous dishes from around the world including tender Angus beef filet, Red Snapper, Sashimi, and lobster (yes, not a Maine lobster from the states but grilled and super tasty nonetheless) just to name a few. Jesus, Juan, David, Johnathan, and so many other hard working smiling personalities all combined to succeed in their culinary and first-class service endeavors to provide you with an exceptional dining experience each and every time. This is simply worth every penny and is still more reasonable for the same food and service in the states. They simply "WOW" you from start to finish. While there look for these amazing dishes: Mixed Ceviche, Sopa de mariscos con langosta a la "Sandro" con un touque de Anis, Fish Tacos, Filet de res Angus con salsa Bearnesa, 8 oz. By the way, even the espresso is excellent.

Service: I pretty much summed that up already but one last thing. The service is top notch! They are at your every request without ever being overbearing. Swat a pestering mosquito away from your arm at the far end of the beach while enjoying a sunset glass of champagne and you can guarantee someone saw this and will later walk over with a spray bottle of "Off" folded in a white linen cloth. There's also very few times you'll find yourself pouring your own wine or champagne. They have this down pat and again are never in your space. The service is well paced. We always liked ordering and eating our appetizers first before ordering the main course. Take it slow or fast. They will go at your speed so don't be afraid to set the tone with the servers by letting them know what YOU want. They will deliver with grace and the appreciation of your presence.

Pool: The pool is fantastic. Great drink service and excellent calming views of the ocean and Cancun in the distance. Yes the party boats sail by every so often however this is really not a big deal. If you're looking for total solitude you may want to try a private island far far away. Otherwise, Isla Mujeres and the Casa Rolandi location is pretty great. I wanted peace and quite and I got exactly that. A passing party boat is no worse than a group of "louder-than-you" guest staying next to you. There's also an extremely large salt water jacuzzi tub beside the main pool great for soaking your sunned skin.

Beach: The beach is small but who wants a beach that's sprawling inviting hundreds of others to lounge with you. Small, clean, and private! Staying at Casa Villa Rolandi is all about small, personalized, and exceptional accommodations. There's a small beach pool that sits under the main pool and is proceeded by two tiny foot pools to clean the beach sand from your feet before entering. Egress from this pool of sanctuary bliss greets you with falling cascades of warm water from the main pool above. Some other reviews have spoken about seaweed in the area of the hotel. While it's true that this beach area doesn't give you hundreds of yards of sandy bottom sea real estate it does offer some shallow areas of clear blue swimming water. This is true for most of the island except for the area near town where you'll find some great blue water but must also share this with other people. Still worth a trip to town on your golf cart however.

Transportation: Although it's true that all the hotels will offer you a golf cart for a higher price than town keep in mind that it's right there for you. You don't have to go to town via taxi to retrieve the golf cart and then go back to turn it in. We were lucky enough that Prisma Golf Cart Rentals delivered it to the hotel for $135.00 for three full days. Definitely worth it! Don't expect a shinny new golf cart. This is an island, not a golf course. They're there to get you around and sometimes in some rugged areas.

The Room: The room as always is very nice. The bedding is quality and construction of the room sound. The side wall wooden furniture is custom made and of Mexican design. We actually observed some of the lower rooms getting there wood furniture sanded over and stained. The authentic and unique style carries itself to the vaulted red brick ceiling accompanied by a Casablanca ceiling fan which moves the cool air-conditioned climate throughout. The maids come around every evening around 7:30 for turn-down service. They were most appreciative of the $50 pesos I handed them each night and kept the room looking sharp and well stocked.

The only problem with Casa Villas Rolandi is that the experience leaves you with little room to try other places. We will of course return and encourage those yet to experience this hidden gem to give them a try.

I'd be remiss if I didn't also extend a thank you to Giancarlo the GM. Thanks everyone at Casa Villa Rolandi for making our stay again so special. You all clearly distinguish yourselves and set a high bar for others in the hospitality business to follow. Bravo!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Travler1242
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I are not extremely picky. We got what we thought was a reasonable deal on this hotel until we reached there. Had the price been lower...these issues wouldn't be worth a mention. Due to the 5 star charge I think they should work harder to make their guests more comfortable.

Cons:

Too much seaweed in the water. It's hard to enjoy the beach.

Breakfast- SLOW and uninspiring

Food was very overpriced...more expensive in NY in some cases. The lobster is spiny lobster so the meat is tough and not sweet like what we are used to in the States. The price however is exorbitant!

There weren't enough lounge chairs around the pool to accommodate a quarter of their guests. The service was extremely slow for drinks.

I was locked out of my room and it took someone a half hour to get the key to let me in. I got extremely sick as a result bc I was only in a bathing suit and towel and there was .

The party boats which come in and out from Cancun cause a lot of noise which take away from the sanctuary of this location.

The price of golf carts in front of hotel are the highest priced and oldest! Ours could only go 15 miles per hour.

The decor of the room was by far the cheesiest and weirdest I have ever experienced. I felt like I was in a bad 80's movie!

The steam in shower never worked!

The only pros would be the dinner I had at Villa Rolandi and the massage in the spa.

Maybe this place used to be a 5 star back in the late 70's but I think it's past it's heyday!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EllenBurgues
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This place is amazing. Luxury at its best. Amazing customer service. I believe that is what they do best. You get to meet their staff, they take really good care of you. The only bad encounter I had was when the GM talked loud to one of his best workers in front of people at dinner. He looked really bad.

• Stayed October 2013
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
Paradisus Cancun
Paradisus Cancun
#23 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun? Share your experiences!