“FABULOUS !!! We will be returning !!!”

Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week at this wonderful, small boutique hotel. It was everything and more than we expected. I had requested a third floor room for the vaulted ceilings and the spectacular view of Cancun. We were in room 306, looking out over the center of the main infinity pool. We have a gold standard we set for service, food, and accomadations and Villa Rolandi met them all. A few years ago we stayed at Casa Que Canta in Zihuatenejo which is also top-knotch. The resorts are comparable , yet different due to location and overall setting.
The service at this hotel sets them apart from most resorts of similar size. Sergio, Ariel, Miguel, Jesus and Mary went far above the normal service given at any hotel. My husband came down with food poisoning the second night we were there. We had ventured into town for a bite, and he became violently ill in the middle of the night. (We have traveled to Mexico many times and this is the first time this has happened.) I approached the front desk at 3 a.m.and they could not have been more caring and kind. Two staff members followed me to our room with a thermometer and blood pressure cuff, ( I am a registered nurse ) .Later that morning they phoned the on-call Dr. un-prompted for sound advice. An associate was sent to town for Pedialyte, arriving back at the hotel in 20 minutes with 2 bottles. The gardner even cut down fresh coconuts and delivered them to the room so he could have the benefit of the milk for his dehydration!!!The restaurant staff prepared a wonderful chicken soup for him as he slowly got better over the course of the next 3 days. They went above and beyond and we were able to enjoy the remaining few days we had thanks to their TLC. It is nice to know you are in good hands so far away from home.
The food is beautifully prepared , varied and delicious. The hardest part was deciding what to eat because it was all so outstanding. I had the best Osso Bucco I have ever had the last night we were there...We thought the prices were reasonable considering the quality. The wine was on the expensive side., but a nice treat if you so desire. They offer a very romantic beachside dinner that several couples said was well worth the extra cost. We did enjoy a beachside massage that was delightful.
Snorkeling at Castillo Garrafon was excellent. Catch a cab from the hotel, around $5.00 minus tip. The same price to get in and the beach is yours. Manta rays, sea cucmbers and probably 50 types of fish to wonder at. We had planned on doing the whale shark tour, but ran out of time. A golf cart to putz around the island is fun too.
If you want excellent service, outstanding food and a relaxed atmosphere, this place should be a MUST. We are already planning our return next year if not before. ENJOY !!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank vacationerforlife
Write a ReviewReviews (1,522)

Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed there from May 23 -30 and The VR was everything we hoped it would be. Very attentive staff, a very nice room, and a great restaurant with impeccable service. Our room (3rd floor) was very comfortable and offered a great view of the resort and over the water towards Cancun. The beach isn't very large, but certainly adequate and it is also very private. If you're looking just to relax and unwind without being bothered, this is a perfect. They have 3 pools, none of which were ever crowded. The best "value added" perk is the transportation to / from the island. A private van met us at the airport, took us right to the harbor, and we boarded their private boat right to the resort....perfect! We've been to several resorts in the Cancun / Playa de Carmen area, and this had the best combination of everything we were looking for. We would definitely consider a return trip in the future.

5  Thank RAMLAM
Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at Villa Rolandi for four nights in late April and it was divine from start to finish. What I liked best was that the hotel is small and indulgent. It isn't schmancy, but it is totally the kind of place where you will be coddled. I loved the low key feel that VR embodies, especially given that everyone made it very clear that we were to ask for anything we wanted and they would do it. It's the kind of place that wants to make you happy and knows that you are the best person to tell them how to do that.

Rooms: as I said, not fancy. Very clean and quite nice bones, though. (Lots of marble and heavy tile) The bed was king size and extremely comfortable, with a couple of slightly cheesy/sexy Charlie's Angels-esque touches. For instance, a big mirror next to the bed (made less obvious by the fact that it was recessed in a niche). Also, there was an abundance of dimmable lights, including in a tray ceiling over the bed. The view from the bed is of the ocean, and two of the balcony doors slide into the third, creating this dream vista and letting in the sound of the waves-- sleeping here was not a problem. The balcony was private; I have no idea how, because they're all side by side, but I used ours plenty and never heard anything except Rhianna music from the occasional party boats from Cancun.

The dressing area was more than adequate with space and hangers, and the bathroom was quite nice. Oh, there's a phone in the toilet room-- another Charlie's Angels kind of touch. Bring your own conditioner; if you need conditioner, theirs won't cut it, especially after a swim. The shower is fabulous-- to all the people who were confused or distressed by the little window to the bedroom, you need to keep looking. It gives you a view of the ocean from the shower; I loved that. The steam thing works really well. Definitely try it, but stay away from the steam spout!

One nice thing about the property being so small is that it was a two minute walk to the pool, beach, bar, or restaurant. And they're all wonderful.

The beach was lovely. Not huge, but I grew up going to the Florida panhandle, so anything less than Sahara size stretches of sand underwhelm me. The water was clear; the sand was soft; and there were plenty of beach chairs. Drink and snack service to the beach and pool was constant and prompt. And the staff here was so friendly, warm, and professional. We wanted for nothing.

The warm saltwater infinity pool was amazing. Perfect when the weather isn't hot enough for the pool or ocean. And the main pool was great for lounging around. Better chairs than at the beach. I think they were teak-framed, with thick cotton mattresses. I tried to adjust mine once and someone came running over to do it for me. The service was just wonderful.

Any request was handled smoothly. For instance, my boyfriend needed an eye doctor on Sunday morning. He talked to the front desk staff as we walked into breakfast and they had a doctor at our room when we left the restaurant. Fifteen minutes later, he had a prescription and the address of a pharmacy that would be open. I doubt it would have been handled this quickly and seamlessly at a bigger place. And small requests were the same. Once, I went to get ice; two steps from my door, someone stopped me, took my bucket, and asked what room to bring it back to. Five minutes later, we had ice.

Everything we wanted was "perfecto," including our frequent desire to have dinner in the exquisite restaurant, drinks in the aptly named Cozy Bar, and dessert brought up to our room half an hour after we left dinner. "Perfecto," and it was done. And set up beautifully when we got upstairs.

I have to mention the restaurant. First of all, the design and setting are dreamy. It's built onto the rocks over the water, and a large part of it is open-air. We sat right next to the water every meal except when it stormed. Every view is beautiful. Food was fantastic, too. Most nights that we were here there was a local family having a big celebratory dinner. Of the breakfast items, I really recommend the chilaquiles and the other Mexican option (whose name escapes me-- frijoles something). For dinner, the ceviche was crazy good, as was the octopus carpaccio. The risotto was great, too, and the fish baked in the clay oven. Tiramisu and panne cotta were my favorites of the desserts.

When we tired of all this coddling and gourmet food, town was a quick and cheap cab ride away. I'd found a couple of local restaurants that I wanted to try, and confirmed one choice (Poc Chuc) with our cabbie as a good local Mexican spot. The ceviche, tacos, and guac were amazing. He steered us to a different seafood place than I'd had in mind: Justicia Social. It was fantastic, too. More guac, more ceviche, margaritas, and shrimp. Lobster wasn't in season, so they butterflied my shrimp and cooked it with butter, per my request. Both places were much cheaper and way more casual than the restaurant at Rolandi. The town is very laid back, full of ex-pats, backpackers, day trippers from Cancun, and Mexican families who lived or were vacationing there. Given that the drive through Cancun reminded me of Las Vegas, I was very pleased with the more authentic feeling here. (It's a beach town, so as authentic as those can be.) We never used the hotel's spa, but did get massages on the beach in town. Beach massages double as scrubs when it's windy :)

Last tip: I highly recommend paying for transfers through the hotel. For one thing, most other drivers will take you to the public pier where you have to take the ferry into downtown Isla Mujeres. For another, the driver they work with has the phone number of the guys on the boat, and has an interest in making sure you connect with them. It was about a 45 minutes wait when we got there, and we were able to relax at a beach bar until he found us and took our bags to the boat. That set the tone for the whole trip; we relaxed and wanted for nothing the entire time.

• Stayed: April 2012
10  Thank Sarahthebold
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We have been to Isla many times,Have stayed at Media Luna,Posada Del Mar,Avalon,Aluxes, Na Ba Lam, but never on the leeward side before our last trip, finishing a eight day stay on Isla with five days at Villa Rolandi and I must say, it was great! The staff were always so warm and friendly.The room was big,with a couch, very nice. Great candies on pillow at turndown.pool area can get crowded, but always had a spot on the beach area, or by the far pool. Loved the cozy bar. Watched some great concerts with Hilario,He was a great bartender.I would advise a golf cart, as eating every meal there may get expensive. The food was excellent though. I am still thinking about the procuitto wraped melon,so good! Really enjoyed this place,very low key. Espically liked the ride on the cacoon to the pier in Cancun,but had a $45.00 ride to the airport. Not sure if that was typical or not, did'nt look for a price guide before getting in. Still, I loved this place and can't wait to go back! Carrie & Jim

2  Thank Carrie M
Reviewed June 9, 2012

This was a beautiful hotel, excellent service, had all the "bones" to be first class amazing. Somehow, it just missed the mark sometimes. Not in big ways.....but it was odd. Restaurant was absolutely NOT up to normal Rolandi standards, but the service was. The room was lovely with a hot tub on the balcony, but the hot tub really didn't work, heat and jets weren't up to making it relaxing. The pool and outdoor salt water jacuzzi were beautiful and the views spectacular, but wait until you try to get in and out of that pool, not easy. The room had HEAVY down comforters and no top sheet, the comforters were for Montana or Taos in ski season... that is why I say interesting....I live in Mexico, so for me, these odd things were very natural.....an attempt to be international and first class without having sufficient ???? can't use logic in Mexico!!!! As in all of the Yucatan in my experience, the staff were beyond first class, helpful, warm, responsive, just perfect. Clean, absolutely. Beautiful, absolutely. Comfortable, most of the time (just watch getting into the pool, and turn your A/C on max). Oh! They call it Villa Rolandi, a Gourmet and Beach Club. any idea what that is??? :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We arrived in Cancun Sunday morning and was picked up by the hotel van and traveled on the hotel private boat to Isla Mujeres. We arranged van and boat transport prior to arrival via email, they can include it on your bill which makes it easier, no hassle.
Upon arrival, you are greeted by Juancarlo the general manager along with champagne mimosas. The overall feel and aesthetic of the hotel is similar to European style accomodations but with amazing customer service. The rooms were comfortable and clean. It seems that they were slowly updating certain parts of the furniture with new upholstery and noticed some minor construction happening throughout the hotel which to me is a good sign that they are constantly improving their accomodations. All rooms have balconies overlooking the ocean. Food and drinks were delicious...5 star pricing but expected at any typical hotel restaurants. The breakfast was included in our rate so we took advantage of eating at hotel every morning. The breakfast menu was stellar, not your typical "continental breakfast" that are included in other hotel rates. Vast selection to choose from so if you are staying a couple nights you have lots of choices.
The huge plus for me for this hotel was the boutique size nature of only having 35 rooms which I prefer to large 100+room resorts. The size allows the management to focus on great customer service and consistent property maintenance.
The small private beach had lounge chairs and just a few steps below the large pool and jacuzzis. Sergio at the pool, provided top notch service and gave us great tips for dining locations and suggested an awesome day trip to Playa Norte for a beach day. Playa Norte beach has amazing sand so soft and water you can walk a couple hundred feet from shore and still be waste above you (mind you I'm 5'3"). The view is picturesque, worth the 15 minute cab ride from the hotel.
If you like seafood, dont miss out on Mininos on Ave Hidalgo where the locals eat. super casual not fancy, white plastic chairs, shackstyle bathroom (I did not have to use, thank god) but great fresh seafood at affordable prices.
Overall, great first time trip experience to Isla Mujeres and will definitely comeback and stay at Villa Rolandi.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I spent a week on Isla Mujeres, May 20 - 27, 2012. After many trips to Cozumel, we decided to give Isla Mujeres a try, primarily because of the opportunity to swim with whale sharks. I knew virtually nothing about the island and did not expect the diving to be very good. I was pleasantly surprised both on the quality of the island and the diving.

Isla Mujeres is a sliver of an island located about 8 miles directly off Cancun. There is a ferry running every thirty minutes from the island to Cancun so access is easy, but Isla Mujeres is completely different. It is small, friendly, and has a very attractive "downtown" area located on the north end of the island. There are many reasonably priced restaurants, 30+ hotels, and golf carts for rent to get around the island.

We stayed at an excellent hotel located on the bay (west) side of the island, the Hotel Villa Rolandi. The rooms were very nice and the service was about as good as it gets. The hotel has an excellent restaurant with expertly prepared fish and other dishes. There a beautiful swimming pools and a very nice beach area with great service.

This hotel is not located in the "downtown" area on the north end of the island, but about 1/3 of the way down on the bay (west) side. Cabs are always handy, with a modest cab fare to the downtown area. The downtown area has sort of a Bahamian feel to it, and it is easy to get around.

1  Thank Scubagolf