“Great Location!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
New York City, New York
“Great Location!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

More than anything, step a way from always calm white sand beach is best of all.

When I enter my room ( second floor of nearest beach bldg), I smelled... I can't describe what was it, so I kept left open the top window.

Room is old but did all what it suppose to do.

I had nice balcony, but... uh... next door guest can step into my balcony so easily...
Though I felt hotel was very safe, and I can see some ocean because of there is no wall between our balconies, I felt awkward to go to my balcony when my next guest is in their balcony... It's like we have shared balcony, and maybe that how we had to use it...

Staff is ok. breakfast they provide at beach hotel was ok, but I prefer to go to the small comidas at nearby market.
The comidas food is sooo good, I couldn't wait for their open in the morning and hurry to eat lunch. ( comidas are close 3 pm or so)

Overall, the beautiful water overwrite everything. If you love to swim in the ocean and stay in the beach with budget in Isla, this is good place to stay.

Oh!
I love the iguana they had in property!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank consumeraffair

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a week with our two kids 5 and 7. Super location! Service rough at first but by the end if the week we were on a first name basis with Buho servers. Highly recommend this hotel tried to book again this year same time period but completely booked in early June. We loved the chill vibe here.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank peanutbutterPortland
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in the tower block in July 2012 and had the most amazing time there. The hotel room was nothing special but it had a little balcony where we could just about see the sea through the trees that separate the hotel to the beach. It had a fridge in the room which was so handy and it was clean. Reception area is nice. You have breakfast in an outdoor restaurant which is literally on the beach. We had the sand between our toes every morning, literally amazing sipping on juice being on the beach overlooking the sea. There's a little bar there with swing seats which we loved too, barman was friendly! Playa Norte is the best beach on the island, absolutely stunning. Further down the beach is a lot busier and covered in sun beds but the beach just in front of Maria Del Mar is quiet, unspoilt, sun beds are only put as and when people want them. The water is really shallow for a long way out which is nice for a float around. If you come out of the hotel grounds and turn right there are a couple of lovely restaurants right on the beach. Otherwise for eating head out the back of the hotel walk to the end of the street turn right and then turn left and you'll come across a strip of restaurants and bars where we had many nice meals and evenings.

As I said, the hotel is nothing special but it is clean and very cheap, the grounds are pleasant and breakfast and lunch is in a little outdoor restaurant on the beach. Most importantly it's in an amazing location, it is sat right on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean, it has such a nice relaxing atmosphere. Would love to return.

Room Tip: Tower block are very simple but have fridges, perfect for a cheap holiday in a lovely location. C...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Traveller1990
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

So this hotel is right on north beach. We stayed in the castle building which is only 20 paces from the main building but castle is closer to the beach, so we liked it. Nothing swanky about the rooms and a bit basic but good for 55 USA per night. If you book online in advance it's more expensive. The rooms however are cleaned every day and they do a great job.
The breakfast is coffee and bad toast so we gave it a miss, especially since you had to go to reception first to get your voucher.
Which brings me to the next point...the service at reception is INCREDIBLY slow and bad, therefore lining up for anything is absolutely frustrating and ridiculous. Renting gold buggies, swapping beach towels, checking out and in or getting breakfast vouchers takes ages.
My bath towel also dropped off by balcony, so I went to swap it in reception and the lady accused me of taking it to the beach. I explained what had happened and she actually SMELLED my towel! It took ages and an argument to get a new towel, something I think I have the right to as a paying customer, without being interrogated.
Anyways, good location, clean rooms with aircon and a little fridge is worth it if you can tolerate the poor poor service. Oh and wifi is slow and only at the back of the kitchen. Water coolers are nearly always empty and you have to pay over 10 USD per day for a beach chair and umbrella.
I think I'm a reasonable person who is easily pleased - read my other reviews- but this took the cake for paying to be insulted.

Room Tip: Go the castle rooms near the beach in another building. the tower are supposed to be out dated, and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank smarty1809
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

the hotel located in playa norte...the best beach in playa...beside that the place is not clean..the reception guys are not nice at all...tgey dont provide towels for the hands..the tv is 14"......they change the beach towels only every two days

• Stayed October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great location for the price, but the hotel is just ok.

The water coolers around the place were always empty, the walls were thin, and the free continental breakfast was literally just toast.

The bed was comfortable enough, but had some small stains on the comforter. A/C worked fine and had a great view from the balcony. Didn't have a chance to check out the pool.

Stay here for the location, right on north beach, and the price but don't expect much more than very basic accommodations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Brooklyn_Victoria
Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We arrive after sunset on Isla Mujeres, we ended up at this hotel relatively well-reviewed on trip advisor. Let me share with you the experience. The location is extraordinary. It's next to Playa Norte, a wonderful and most commercial place on the island. The room on the ground level look clean (the bathroom look like brand new) but there's highway of ants on the floor and a hard smell of humidity... We ask for a room on the second floor. No ants this time but the room is older and we agreed that is not so bad. On the internet, we saw the room at 52$ on low season and get it at 48$ if paid cash in mexican pesos (650$) It was a very quiet stay, the hotel was empty, breakfast was basic continental, no smile from the staff, the pool was unclean (too much sunscreen at the surface)
The beach, however, was fantastic, free access (you just bring the towel from your room) If you want sunshade and chair, you have to pay for it but we didn't ask for the price... Playa Norte is the most beautiful beach of the island and the more commercial too... If you want some cheap beverages, get to a small local convenience store (the one on the street, without glass door and hold by an old mexican, you will get the ice and beer you need for your thirsty afternoon :) We believe that is important to encourage small local business!
For the ambiance, the place is not so hot for low season, go to Poc Na Hostel instead! It's cheaper and crowded by young people and the ambiance is perfect for meeting other travellers. And you are 5 minutes of walk from Play del Norte :)
Overall Maria del Mar is a good place but we will not returned at this hotel on Isla Mujeres. On low season, you can get something decent with AC for 350$ pesos. Hope it will help ;)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple