“not as good as I had hoped.....”

Hotel Posada Del Mar
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“not as good as I had hoped.....”
Reviewed January 13, 2007

This was our 3rd trip to Isla Mujeres, and our 4th different place to stay. On our last trip, we checked out Posada Del Mar and it was on the top of our lists of places to stay. For background, we've stayed at Hotel Playa Media Luna, Casa Maya, and a large condo on the southern tip of the island. I had immensely enjoyed each of these other three properties.

The things we liked about PDM were the restaurant, we enjoyed the pool area and bar, maid service was good and the
rooms were good size and clean. We knew the rooms did not have a refrigerator or coffee maker before, but that was a real inconvenience. I'd prefer a place with a bit more conveniences such as these. We stayed in the main building which is the older part. Decent view of the ocean from there, but the a/c was directly on the small porch, so you really could not sit on the patio and enjoy anything for the noise. I may have been more satisfied if we had not paid $100 per night (with taxes). This was not a $100 night hotel. Also, I prefer to stay off a main street.

I had Josephine, a local estician come to the room and do a very nice facial for $35.00. She is opening her own shop in town and will be ready for business in June or so. Lots of construction on Isla. There are many new hotels and houses being built since our last visit pre Wilma.

Food contiunues to be as good as ever, but a bit pricier than I recall. I guess it's because of Islla's increasing popularity. Still a fantastic vacation spot and among my favorites, but I would stay at a different hotel next time. I'm seriusly considering one of the $35 night places just to try it out.

• Liked — pool area/bar/restaurant
  • Disliked — lack of amenities such as fridge, coffee maker
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank Can_we_go

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Hebrew first
West Bloomfield Michigan
Reviewed December 26, 2006

Hotel Posada Del Mar Isla Mujeres
Travelers the Marsh's from West Bloomfield Michigan USA

Dec. 8-15th was a little rainery than our past second week of Dec. trips in and around the Cancun area. We wanted something different and we got it at the HPDM. This was our best vacatiion in 10 years of travel in and around the caribean. We are going back for the next couple of years. We spent less than going all inclusive at other resorts. The room was good, but the beds are to hard. The views are excellent, and the staff was great with the exception of the front desk woman mentioned from a previous review. Roger who runs the beach was very helpful and a real friend was made. We went Baracuda fishing and caught 10 in 3 hours and it was the thrill of a life time. The food in the HPDM was great and priced right. Each day when we returned from the beach the maids had turned our very thick towls into works of art. HPDM thank you for a wonderful vacation ,you can bet we will be back next year!

The Marsh's

• Liked — Location away from Cancun
  • Disliked — Hard beds
  • Tips/Secrets — If you pay your room bill in cash they knock off another 10%
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank CaptianDave
Minnesota
Reviewed November 22, 2006

I went to Isla Mujeres in early November to Dive. I was by myself so I just wanted basic accomidations. I checked out the local hotels on Tripadvisor and from the reviews it seemd that most of the hotels on the island fell into the same catagory- Motel 6 of the Caribbean. I decided that Posada Del Mar was definitely one of the hotels that I wanted to stay at. I had looked at several other hotels, but for some reason they never returned my emails to book a room, where as the staff at PDM always replied quickly.
I had never been to Isla Mujeres before so I wan't sure where to stay on the island- do i stay on the south end and take a cab into town or rent a golf cart, or do I stay downtown? I decided that downtown would be the most convenient and PDM was definitely downtown.
I flew into Cancun and grabbed a shuttle to Puerto Jaurez where I caught the ferry to the island. PDM is only two blocks from the ferry dock so I opted to walk.
Check in was painless and they gave me a room on the ground floor. I did have issues with my first room (which I won't get into here) and after several day I ended up moving to another room. The staff was polite and when I asked for another room they allowed me to change. There were two people that worked the desk during my stay, a man and a woman, I did not get their names. The man was helpful and friendly, the woman just did not seem to that happy about working the desk.
Here is the deal, I am writing this review about the second room that I had at the hotel, I could not recomend the first room.
The room was in the newer wing of the hotel. When I checked in was asked if I wanted a beach view room or a room in the new wing. I almost felt like this was a loaded question. Having never stayed there before I decided that it would make more sense to stay in the newer wing, I might have been wrong, the ocean view wing of the hotel did not seem to be any older that the wing I stayed in, my room over looked the bar and an abandoned building. I did not really care about overlooking the abandoned building, I had read about it in other posts and was well aware that was going to be my view. I was more concerned about what I was going to see underwater than the view out my window.
The room was fairly large, it had a 20 inch TV with cable, the furniture was in good condition, the bathroom had a large shower, the towels were thin by US standards but they were large. I had just stayed at a Motel 6 in Green Bay WI several weeks before and the rooms were definitely comparable.
The food at hotel restraurant, Penguinos, was good. I had lunch and dinner there, the chicken tacos I had for lunch were especially good.
PDM is definitely in a prime location, the beach is across the street from the hotel, there are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance. I used Skype (this is a computer based phone system that only chages $.02 per minute for internationl calls) to call my wife from the local internet cafe, they only charged me 15 pesos for 30 minutes internet use.
The hotel worked out great for what I wanted, a cheap room, you can't beat $52 per night (plus tax). There were tons of good restaurants near by. Everything was within walking distance, I never had to pay cab fare.
My trip was in November so it was definitely off season, the restaurants were not busy at all, the only down side to my trip was I had to suffer through remnants of hurricane Patrick that had hit the west coast of Mexico and made its way across the peninsula, so there was a fair amount of rain while I was there.
I can recomend the PDM with this caveat, do not stay on the main floor.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location
  • Disliked — My first room has serious issues.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay on the main floor.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
5 Thank penguinpete
St. Croix
Reviewed August 9, 2006

I booked our stay at Posada after reading reviews and deciding a couple of important things -first, I'm a student on a budget - but still wanted to do something special. Second, I was going to be on the Island at the hottest time of year so I wanted a pool, beach, air conditioning, celling fans - or as many of the combinations as possible.
Posada Met my needs.
When we arrived, we were booked into a room in the NEW building - king size bed, ac, balcony... BUT - we were on the first floor and our room looked into a building that had been long ago destroyed and since, just covered in a couple of tarps... NOT the view I w as hoping for.
After a few days (and after the weekend) we were able to change rooms and get a room on the 3rd floor of the OLD building - apparently all those rooms have 2 double beds, no kings.. but the view was great and I actually liked the room design more than the other.
The staff was really accomidating when they could be, my boyfriend felt like one of the guys from the front desk was only there to watch his TV - rather than be helpful. But, I didn't have much issue with him. We had to ask for extra Towels, pillows, and a TV remote. Also, you should know that there are Beach/pool towels at the front desk, just ask for them.
The last day - as we were checking out, we wanted to get our stuff out of the "safe-deposit" box, but apparently the Master-key had broken in half... and they Jimmyed the box open so we could get our stuff - leaving me to wonder how safe the box was in the first place.
The pool - nice, comfortable, but smaller than expected from the pictures.
The Bar - Very Nice, Romy and Beto (bartenders) were great company when a storm nocked out the power on the island... they gave us shots of "Mayan Sacrafice" to light up our night. Just be aware that drinks can get pricey when it's not happy hour.
The Restaurant was good too - we only ate breakfast there though, inexpensive. (Huevos Rancheros was our favorite).

• Liked — proximity to North Beach, Downtown and the price to match
  • Disliked — the empty, shelled-out building in the middle of the property
  • Tips/Secrets — stay on the upper floors.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
16 Thank SherainLB
toledo,ohio
Reviewed July 27, 2006

Stayed at Posada July 20-23rd on my first trip to Isla. Excited to go but shocked as I had never been to Mexico before in July and it was so HOT!
Posada was clean, no roaches, no spiders, only a gecko and iguanas outside on the tin roofs you could see from my hotel door. Bed was hard as a rock like most Mexican hotels it seems, it was made daily and I made sure I tipped well, but the sand on them was never shook out except by myself.
Hot water, a large loud air conditioner(which I personally dont mind at all) which was ice cold(yippee!), cable tv. There are snack machines and someone at the desk 24/7. I felt safe there as a single female traveler and there were many other women there alone also. Pinguinos restaurant is in the front and Romi's bar next to the pool.
Decent location at Posada for the beach, the ferry from Puerto Juarez and a short walk to downtown. Overall, not bad for only $52 + tax in the summer.

Stayed June 2006
11 Thank hnus730023
Columbus, OH
Reviewed June 5, 2006

This hotel has 3 definite positive things about it-central location, across the street from the beach, and excellent maid service. Request a room in the old building (the old faces the ocean, the new building faces the pool area at an angle) on the 3rd floor. We paid $49 USD/night. Each room has its own balcony, two chairs and a table. It's fun to people watch-there is a lot of activity at the beach in the day and evening. This weekend of May 19th there was a big fishing tournament where they were giving away a pick-up, a car, and 3 scooters, so it was loud until after 11-12 at night. But I suppose that is the price to pay for being centrally located.
PDM is 4 blocks to the left of the ferry, and around the corner from Playa Norte. Just follow the beach in front of the hotel around to the right.
While the front desk staff was not blatantly rude, they don't offer up any additional information unless you ask for it. They speak english just fine-they just seem very dry.
The rooms are large, with huge closets and shelving. Tip the maid staff a dollar or 2 a day. They do a great job and fold the towels into swans, flowers, etc on your beds. They always know when you leave and are in and out while you are gone-no annoying at 7am "housekeeping!" They always smile when you pass them and greet you with "Buenas dias!"
We ate at the hotel just once at breakfast-only because there are so many restaurants to try in town. Pinguino's has yucatan, carribbean, american, and mexican style breakfasts. No complaints. I would stay at PDM again for its location, cost, and cleanliness.
Two activities I would recommend: Go to Isla Contoy with Captain Tony Garcia. His home/office is the first street on the left from the hotel going toward the ferry dock. A block down on that street you will see a painted wooden sign that says Isla Contoy tours outside his door. For 50 bucks (9-4) he takes you out to a reef to snorkel, to Contoy which is a Mexican National Park, fresh fruit after snorkeling and grilled fish, rice, chips, and guacamole for lunch. He grills the fresh fish under a palapa on the beach (lagoon), while hermit crabs wait impatiently for leftovers. You can also the pet the resident stingray in the clear shallow water at that beach-he loves attention! Our group of about 10 were the only ones there aside from the park rangers on the island. It is protected and the amount of visitors is limited. So quiet and peaceful.
Also, head down in a golf cart to Garrafon Beach Club on the south end of Isla. It is 3USD to get in, (12 dollars cheaper than Garrafon Nat'l Park next door), and it is on a shared reef. You can rent lockers ($2USD), see iguanas sunning themselves, eat/drink at their little beach restaurant, rinse off in beach side showers, bathroom facilities, lounge in a beach chair, and snorkel from the beach. It is great, quiet and relaxing. Nobody selling you various goods at this beach.
Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed May 2006
39 Thank keysgirl7
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 15, 2006

We just came back from Isla Mujeres and stayed at the Posada Del Mar. I was ready to leave after the first night because the outside bar backed up to our room and we had a couple of drunks that kept us awake until about 1:00 am. However, after that there were no more problems at night. The hotel is clean and the rooms are nice. We received good service while we were there. The front desk clerk was not very friendly, but maybe he doesn't speak much English and that he why he comes across that way. We only used the pool once, it is clean, even though it appears to be dirty on the bottom. It is not, it just needs some concrete work and could use some paint. The same deposit boxes in the lobby are very old and rusted, but worked fine. There is a beach across the street, but the North Beach is only about a 5 minute walk and is much nicer. The hotel is in a great location and is reaonably priced. The beds were comfortable. I wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel for $50 a night. I origianally thought about the Nabalam at $150 a night and I am glad I didn't. What I saw of it, I liked Posada Del Mar much better, even though, Nabalam is on the beach. Very good restaurant in front of hotel Pinguino's - had breakfast and lunch there. Nice to watch the ocean from there. I don't think we had a bad meal at any restaurant that we ate at. We had a grat pizza at Rolandi's, great coffee and banana bread at Aluxes, good waffles at Cafe Cito, good lunch at Sunset Grill & chairs and umbrella are free if you eat or dring there. We had a good lobster and fried fish at Picus Cocteleria. If you need to call home, Digame has great prices - use their phones and no hassle with a phone card. We rented a golf cart and toured the south part of the island and that was fun. I would stay at Posada Del Mar again and I think it is a good family place in a good location. I did check out Roca Mar and I also like that hotel.

• Stayed May 2006