All reviewsbeach sideplunge poolplaya nortebeach bedsyoga studiobeachfront roombeautiful beachcontinental breakfastpalm treesbest beach on the islandlaid backbeach locationhotel restaurantwhite sandhot waterlobby areaan umbrella
Reviewed May 21, 2005

We were there May 10-14-2005. Cannot say enough about the service, beach, and just great people. We had one of the deluxe master suites with hot tub overlooking the beach; clean and confrontable. Our first trip to Isla Mujeres and will be back to stay at the Na Balam. The hotel has a great beach, which my wife enjoyed while I sat at the bar in the shade and cheered her on; I'm not a beach and sun guy. Chewey, sure his name is not spelled correctly, is a great bartender. The hotel is in walking distance of town. Ok guys I'm not a kid I'm retired and it wasn't too far for me. Stay at the Na Balam if you want the flavor of Mexico otherwise stay in Cancun. We left Isla Mujeres for Cozumel to a villa we have rented before for seven more days. Great trip.
Dannie & Rita
ps. great bunch of other guest there also

• Stayed: May 2005
4  Thank Discover15793
Reviewed May 11, 2005

My husband and I stayed here from April 30-May 4, 2005. Our first room was on the side of the hotel near the pool. No big deal but they are currently renovating a few of the rooms on that side of the hotel. The workers were sawing and hammering until 730-8pm our first night. ANd they were right outside our room so I couldn;t use the lovely hammock to relax. I asked the front desk if there was another room on the beach side of the hotel. He told me no but that the crew doesn't start working until 11am. Well the next day at 8am they started working. I was not happy. They were able to move us to a much better room on the beach side. But the manager pulled a bit of an attitude with us about it. Kind of blaming me for booking the room on the pool side. As if I had a choice! and he asked me "did you book through a travel agent?" as if that might have been the reason but I actually booked directly through the hotel.
the location on Playa Norte was excellent. The staff at the beach bar and restaurant were great. The beach is beautiful. If I were to go back to IM. I would stay on Playa Norte but might try another hotel first.

• Stayed: May 2005
4  Thank lhs624
Reviewed March 8, 2005

We've been to Isla Mujeres many times before and love the beach Playa Norte. That is one reason we decided to try out the hotel Na Balam. The whole experience got off on the wrong foot from the very begining! When we checked in and went to our room I thought they must have given us a key to someone else's room by mistake, the whole room was a complete mess!! When they did come and clean it, they never gave us new soap (the old used ones from the previous people were left for us as well as a dirty razor on the edge of they shower), or changed the bedpread from the previous guests (unless all of their bedspreads have a hole in the exact same place!) We paid for one of the most expensive rooms that they have (king suite with a private pool/jacuzzi) but the pool was also very dirty, cloudy water, full of sand and cold. When we asked the front desk about it they said that they would take care of it, but failed to do so until the morning of our departure 3 days later. On the 2nd day our hot water went out so we had to take cold showers until they could get maintinance to fix it which took 1/2 a day. At check-out they tried to charge us for room charges that were not ours. I kept all our reciepts and explained that some were not ours. When they showed me their copies, it was obvious that they had made a mistake. Someone with a different name was charging things to our room.

• Stayed: February 2005
10  Thank jcnurse
Reviewed January 6, 2005

We stayed at Na Balam May of 2004- We loved it!
We walked from the ferry- wouldn't have been bad except we were dressed in Michigan winter pants and shirts. As soon as we arrived the front desk clerk greeted us with cool towels, I think we looked like we needed them.
The first night we stayed in a room with a thatched roof. Great unless you like to sleep in- the birds can be noisy, in fact I thought they were in the room they were soo loud. The next morning we asked if another room was available and they gave us one on the beach #2- We loved it!
Ate at the resturant - the food was great- especially the breakfasts.
The staff was very friendly everyone gave us great service.
The beach is wonderful, there are some people selling souviners on the beach, but they never hassled us if we said no thank- you. Brought our drinks to us on the beach. The pool was small, but refreshing.
Rented a golf cart and toured around- check out the island.
We will defenitley go back! Relaxing, laid back and the best place can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2004
6  Thank BoardingPass29866
Reviewed January 1, 2005

Our family of four spent 3 days at Na Balam over Christmas. The staff were wondrful, plenty of them and very professional and helpful. The setting is gorgeous - lush gardens and the best strip of beach on the Island. Breakfast can be ordered the night before and delivered to your room. An easy 5 minute walk to town gave lots of options for restaurents. Be aware that the standard rooms vary greatly even though they are offered at the same price. Room 14 (our original room) was so small we could not enter the bathroom if someone was by the closet. It had a beautiful ocean view but was extremely humid the sheets felt damp. We asked for and were moved to a bigger room (twice the size) the next day and given a discount off the first night. We lost the ocean view but had a patio over looking the pool and set among the lush tropical gardens and it was not humid at all. We noticed other large rooms on the ocean side but set further back which would have been the best rooms. We had booked our room back in May so we should have been able to select a better room had we known.

• Stayed: December 2005