“Great modern rooms on best beach spot in Isla”

Na Balam Beach Hotel
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
“Great modern rooms on best beach spot in Isla”
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Service is average but the clean modern rooms are spacious and nice. The beach is the best on the island....good lounges, umbrellas & beach service. Not too crowded on this brach. Excellent piña coladas on the beach. A little pricey for what it is but if you want to be in Isla, this is probably the right place.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank blackska

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Hebrew first
Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by Na Balam after reading a few rather negative reviews of the property. The hotel staff, including the front desk, were all very courteous and helpful. Anything we requested (an additional lamp, a hammock) were provided with a smile. The beds were hard, but it seems that is a given in Mexico. The room was spacious, 600 square feet. We had a room overlooking the pool with a lovely balcony. We were very pleased with the accommodations. A continental breakfast was included in the hotel rate and was more than enough food to start the day. The bar and restaurant served good appetizers and adequate drinks. The absolute best thing about Na Balam is it's beach and waterfront. The best location on the island for beautiful crystal clear water views. It is a short quarter mile walk to Hidalgo street, the main drag. If we return, we will stay at Na Balam again.

Room Tip: We liked the pool side, which is across the street from the beach side. The beach side may have bee...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FloridaTravelernow
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I love this place. The location is paradise right on the best beach on Isla Mujeres and the hotel is beautiful, low level and designed in the Mayan style, including flaming torches at the entrance in the evenings. The Service is good, the food is excellent - try the Mango Lassi or Balam drinks, the people friendly and i can't wait to go back! The rooms are clean and there is a lovely pool in a tropical garden with a huge stone jacuzzi too

Room Tip: I have stayed in many of the rooms at this hotel and liked them all, very tropical surroundings
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I had heard some negative reviews on this place and must say I found them to be totally unfounded. The staff was very nice and hard working.Not a day went by that I didn't see 2 or 3 workers cleaning or doing maintenance.The rooms were big and in good repair. We were given fresh towels and 2 bottles of water every day with our room cleaning. And you could take your beach towel to the front desk at any time for a fresh one.The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that there was some confusion with the reservation,but it was taken care of quickly.THE BEST PART- you are on the best beach of the island where beds and chairs are provided free of charge to guest.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The staff was great and very helpful. The beach was very clean and gorgeous. Our thatched roof hotel room leaked from the down pour that first night, but they were very quick to switch our room and even upgraded us. There is no tv or wifi in the rooms but there is so much to do in Isla Mujeres that you really don't even need them! Overall we loved our stay here and highly reccomend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for a week at Na Balam at the end of May, 2013. It was the best beach we've been to yet! There isn't a nicer part of the beach to stay on anywhere on the island. The rooms were simple, no wifi or tv, but it was exactly what we wanted to get away from everything. The staff was nice and helpful, the restaurant served great food and brought drinks to you on the beach. No, you can't charge to the room, but just bring a little cash! The breakfast, again was simple, but so delicious, and you're going to want to go out and eat at all the great restaurants for lunch anyway. We stayed in a dunk pool room and though the privacy was nice, we didn't use the pool once. It was a little dirty - just from it being outside - so I'd say spend the money elsewhere. I got this on a groupon so was a little nervous, but hands down it was the best place on the island to stay, and we're trying to find the time to go back already!

Room Tip: Plunge pool probably isn't worth it. You're going to want to be out on the beach, not in the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We got this holiday on a groupon and I was a bit nervous before going, because I read some negative reviews on here. I have to say, despite the fact that we visited during three very rainy days, my boyfriend and I had an amazing time at this resort.

Service: It seems that they've really worked hard on their customer service since some of the prior reviews were written - the service at the restaurant was excellent (and I'm a picky new yorker). Most servers spoke decent English in addition to Spanish, and were extremely attentive and helpful. I would be surprised if anyone found rude service here anymore - everyone, down to the chambermaid cleaning our room, was incredibly helpful and polite.

Rooms: When we arrived, we were first shown to a smallish room (#17) that had one queen bed and no balcony. If the cost is the same, I'd ask for a room with a balcony and/or hammock (I believe these are the ones numbered 1-12... though you should ask as I'm not positive). Our room had two queen beds, was large by NY standards, and had a lovely balcony and hammock overlooking the ocean. Incidentally, I wouldn't worry too much about the ocean views - you can't really see the ocean from the rooms as they're set back a bit, so if you want to go for one of the rooms by the pool because they're cheaper, you aren't really losing out on much.

Atmosphere: I definitely didn't want to stay in any kind of a traditional resort, and the place was lovely in this regard - little pathways with vegetation growing all around, natural materials... I didn't feel like I was staying at someone's timeshare, and it was beautiful. I would recommend this resort to all my friends on this point alone - and I think it's definitely a cut above the other resorts on the same beach in this regard. The beaches by the way are gorgeous, and we had a great time there.

Food: The food was great. Everything was flavorful, and care was clearly taken with ingredients, spices, etc - I enjoyed just about everything I ordered. I liked the drinks too - everything was made freshly, including the mixed drinks - no soft-serve premixed sugary crap here.

My only complaint/suggestion is regarding breakfast. I can't understand why, for the price they're charging, they don't just throw in some eggs or something (the cost of which to make would be under $2, since the cooks and waiters are all already there anyway). It made me feel like we were being nickeled and dimed, and we ended up taking the 10-minute walk in the rain to eat at Red Rooster (which has really great food btw - the glowing reviews are right) instead. I'm not sure if this policy is to encourage people to do the all-in option of unlimited food, but it doesn't totally make sense to me. Incidentally, a tip regarding the unlimited-food option - before we left, my boyfriend was informed it cost $75/day, but when we arrived we were told it cost $60/day... so it may be worth waiting to make the decision until you arrive. In my opinion, I'm not sure it is worth it unless you're planning to drink a lot and/or spend almost the whole time at the resort - $20 per person per meal is a lot of $$ in Mexico, but worth it if you just want to sit by the pool and relax, and/or drink a lot, since the drinks are verrrry watered down (seriously - they are good, and I'm not a big drinker so I didn't mind the lack of alcohol, but they are made with almost no alcohol whatsoever). If you do plan to eat every meal at the resort, however, I'd say it's totally worth it - the meals we did eat there usually came to about $40 per meal for the two of us.

Room Tip: When we arrived, we were first shown to a smallish room (#17) that had one queen bed and no balcony...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple