“Best Vacation!”

Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Vacation!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for a week at Na Balam at the end of May, 2013. It was the best beach we've been to yet! There isn't a nicer part of the beach to stay on anywhere on the island. The rooms were simple, no wifi or tv, but it was exactly what we wanted to get away from everything. The staff was nice and helpful, the restaurant served great food and brought drinks to you on the beach. No, you can't charge to the room, but just bring a little cash! The breakfast, again was simple, but so delicious, and you're going to want to go out and eat at all the great restaurants for lunch anyway. We stayed in a dunk pool room and though the privacy was nice, we didn't use the pool once. It was a little dirty - just from it being outside - so I'd say spend the money elsewhere. I got this on a groupon so was a little nervous, but hands down it was the best place on the island to stay, and we're trying to find the time to go back already!

Room Tip: Plunge pool probably isn't worth it. You're going to want to be out on the beach, not in the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We got this holiday on a groupon and I was a bit nervous before going, because I read some negative reviews on here. I have to say, despite the fact that we visited during three very rainy days, my boyfriend and I had an amazing time at this resort.

Service: It seems that they've really worked hard on their customer service since some of the prior reviews were written - the service at the restaurant was excellent (and I'm a picky new yorker). Most servers spoke decent English in addition to Spanish, and were extremely attentive and helpful. I would be surprised if anyone found rude service here anymore - everyone, down to the chambermaid cleaning our room, was incredibly helpful and polite.

Rooms: When we arrived, we were first shown to a smallish room (#17) that had one queen bed and no balcony. If the cost is the same, I'd ask for a room with a balcony and/or hammock (I believe these are the ones numbered 1-12... though you should ask as I'm not positive). Our room had two queen beds, was large by NY standards, and had a lovely balcony and hammock overlooking the ocean. Incidentally, I wouldn't worry too much about the ocean views - you can't really see the ocean from the rooms as they're set back a bit, so if you want to go for one of the rooms by the pool because they're cheaper, you aren't really losing out on much.

Atmosphere: I definitely didn't want to stay in any kind of a traditional resort, and the place was lovely in this regard - little pathways with vegetation growing all around, natural materials... I didn't feel like I was staying at someone's timeshare, and it was beautiful. I would recommend this resort to all my friends on this point alone - and I think it's definitely a cut above the other resorts on the same beach in this regard. The beaches by the way are gorgeous, and we had a great time there.

Food: The food was great. Everything was flavorful, and care was clearly taken with ingredients, spices, etc - I enjoyed just about everything I ordered. I liked the drinks too - everything was made freshly, including the mixed drinks - no soft-serve premixed sugary crap here.

My only complaint/suggestion is regarding breakfast. I can't understand why, for the price they're charging, they don't just throw in some eggs or something (the cost of which to make would be under $2, since the cooks and waiters are all already there anyway). It made me feel like we were being nickeled and dimed, and we ended up taking the 10-minute walk in the rain to eat at Red Rooster (which has really great food btw - the glowing reviews are right) instead. I'm not sure if this policy is to encourage people to do the all-in option of unlimited food, but it doesn't totally make sense to me. Incidentally, a tip regarding the unlimited-food option - before we left, my boyfriend was informed it cost $75/day, but when we arrived we were told it cost $60/day... so it may be worth waiting to make the decision until you arrive. In my opinion, I'm not sure it is worth it unless you're planning to drink a lot and/or spend almost the whole time at the resort - $20 per person per meal is a lot of $$ in Mexico, but worth it if you just want to sit by the pool and relax, and/or drink a lot, since the drinks are verrrry watered down (seriously - they are good, and I'm not a big drinker so I didn't mind the lack of alcohol, but they are made with almost no alcohol whatsoever). If you do plan to eat every meal at the resort, however, I'd say it's totally worth it - the meals we did eat there usually came to about $40 per meal for the two of us.

Room Tip: When we arrived, we were first shown to a smallish room (#17) that had one queen bed and no balcony...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ariana Annie S
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife for our honeymoon,
The +
- best location in playa Norte !
-amazing beach
-friendly staff

The -
- no facilities in the room ( no tv for example if it's important for you)
- room are ok but for that price should be better, the beach front plunge pool suite for example is a joke: the private pool is dirty and very small the only good thing was the great view while sitting on the chairs, don't pay more for that!
- very hard bed, really!
- breakfast very minimalistic for that target price hotel, I was expecting more than a fruit plate (or some bread with jam...) really I was very disappointed especially when comparing with the others hotel in Mexico that proposed plenty option
- bring at least 2 mosquito repellent!!! Too much insects in that zone...

To summarize nabalam is a charming 3 stars hotel , if the location is important for you and you don't need to be really spoiled in your room, breakfast go for it otherwise you have some others amazing boutique hotel in isla (rolandi, Los suenos...) .
Don't forget to take a golf car for the entire day to check the island

• Stayed May 2013
Harlingen, Texas
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We spend ten days at Na Balam for the second time, and we sure shall return again. This hotel constitutes a refreshing deviation from the standard upscale hotel architectural landscape. When enjoying the crystal clear waters, all you see from the hotel is its palapa-roofed open-air restaurant/bar area appropriately termed Zazil Ha (for clear water in Mayan) and coconut palm trees. It is a dream with lots of positive energy. The rooms are beautifully appointed following an individualistic and clean design with no frills. We stayed in a beach view room in which the turquoise color of the sea is echoed in the ceramic floor tiles. Many subtle touches are to be enjoyed in the grounds as well. Wonderful staff members pamper you and are always respectful and attentive. We'll be back for more.

Room Tip: Choose the beach view rooms if you wish to be close to the real treat.
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This has been our favorite place to stay on Isla Mujeres for the past 20 or more years. While other reviews identify the accommodations well, I'd like to draw attention to their restaurant. The food is quite good -- freshly prepared, made to order and attractively presented. Several times they accommodated me by adapting menu items to better suit my taste. Shrimp tostadas are superb! The chili relleno stuffed with seafood and corn is very tasty -- they limited the seafood to shrimp and scallops for me. The salads are crisp and refreshing, even with a sauteed filet of fish on top. I asked for shrimp to be added to the Fettucine Alfredo -- no problem! "Eggs over easy" doesn't translate, so don't waste your time trying -- they come cooked extra-well-done even on a second try! But, generally, we liked everything we got there. And, unlike most restaurants on the island, this one DOES accept credit cards.

2 Thank Upbeatlady
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed May 12, 2013

my partnet and i went on an 8 days vacation at Isla Mujeres without knowing where we would stay. at our first night we came across Na Balam hotel. Israel, the desk manager gave us a really good deal on on of the beach rooms.

the location is excellent, located on the northen beach part of the island. the services of the place were great, beach staff was there all the time to assist and help, free wi fi at the lobby area.

highly recommended for a romantic and hill out vacation and gay friendly.

Brianna, on of the girls working at the desk, was great as well, gave us resommendations on where we should go, eat etc.

we're definately planning on resturning. best place on the Island!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: rooms on the beach level are the best but more expensive. if you're looking for cheaper ones go...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank avivbertele
Higginsville, Missouri
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Beautiful resort, large comfortable room, steps from the beach. Nice garden pool, but pick room 11 or 12' so close to restaurant and beach. Staff terrific, gave us ice for day trips, taught us mixology. Island was so cozy, many dining choices, great snorkeling and fishing. Water was so clear and beautiful.

Room Tip: 11 or 12. Try groupon for good price.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends