All reviews beach side plunge pool playa norte beach beds yoga studio beachfront room continental breakfast palm trees best beach on the island great beach laid back beach location hotel restaurant white sand hot water lobby area an umbrella
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I choose this hotel for the beach. I stayed in Isla two years ago at Secreto but didn't want to pay the price again and I wanted to be right on North Beach. I saw the Groupon deal after I booked but unless they upgraded your room I didn't think it was a great deal. We stayed in room #5 on the beachside. It was on the 2nd floor and had a large patio but I think I would have preferred the bottom floor with the beach beds off the patio.

Our room was basic. No clock, hair dryer, or fridge. The rooms are spacious so they could add a mini fridge. They did provide warm bottled water. The bed was beyond hard but the pillows were ok. I though the lighting was fine in the room. When we were in the room, we watched movies on the IPADs. Wifi is at the restaurants or reception which is a nusiance.

Reception was hard to find as the hotel name wasn't marked. I actually walked around the hotel along the beach and found a waiter at the beach restaurant to take me to reception. They are doing work around the grounds. Pool was empty. I thought they were cleaning it but from another post it sounds like it's out of commission for a while. I was glad I didn't book a pool side room.

Beach is awesome. They have day beds set up. It was a little on the breezy/windy side when we were there but when the wind did die down and the sun was out it was awesome and that is why I booked at this place.

We ate dinner one night at Fenix and it was really good.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I booked this hotel through a groupon. I had visited Isla Mujeres twice before and I was going to stay at the hotel I had stayed in on both prior visits. I happened to see this deal before I booked the other hotel, and as the regular room rate at this hotel was more expensive, I was excited to try somewhere new that I thought might excede my previous experience. I was disappointed on almost all levels.
The reception area was confusing and difficult to locate.The first room I checked in to had small bugs all over the bed coverlet. I asked for a new room and was given another one. The air conditioning was turned very low and later that night I learned why- the room smelled horribly of the smell of the sewer. The bed was also extremely hard and very uncomfortable. I asked for another new room the next morning and after the rooms were cleaned I was given my third room. All three of these rooms were on the "pool side".. imagine my disappointment when I realised that the pool was drained of water while improvements were being made. Ironically, my cousin stayed here many years ago and the pool was out of commission on his visit as well. Overall, I would say that the rooms are tired and past their prime. The beds are horribly uncomfortable and there is a very pervasive odor of mustiness (more so than is regular for a humid beach local). There are no amenities in the rooms, which didn't really bother me, but might not work for some. No tv, no phone, very dim lighting. On the plus side, the grounds are nice and they have a nice raised palapa where they teach yoga twice a day. The staff was friendly and accommodating.The continental breakfast (included!) was very nice and the freshly ground coffee and homemade bread was delicious. The beach is pretty and the location is okay. The rest of my family stayed in a different hotel that was less than half the price and the rooms were much much better. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Serah D
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I've been to Isla a couple times now, and I can tell you by far my favorite hotel. I love the island vibe of the hotel and rooms! White stucco walls, dark wood beams, private patios with hammocks and chairs on the sand. In my case, we got a room with a plunge pool (room 14) and paid the extra $10 a night to have a fridge. There is no TV, clocks, or phones in the room, but that's exactly the point. Go to an island and stay at a tropical resort to relax!!! We had an amazing time here and I will stay here from now on! The Beds are super comfortable, the staff and restaurants have amazing food and they even have the option of setting up a private romantic dinner on the beach for you with candles and flowers... Stay here, trust me..

Room Tip: Get a room on the ocean side, not the garden side of the resort across the street if you want more luxury. The Plunge pool rooms are amazing and not a lot more, so opt for those if you can swing it. ;)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed poolside in a little bungalow upstairs. First impressions were good however upon night fall we quickly learnt that there were rats in the straw roof. We could see them running around all night. Sleeping in such conditions was very difficult. They dropped straw all over the room. Not a pleasent stay! Staff did offer to move us rooms but were reluctant and denied any infestation. Rude service! Also pool and spa was closed entire trip. Staff didn't seem to care that guest were inconvenienced. Never again.

• Stayed: November 2012
SalesNMarketing, Director of Sales at Na Balam Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Evn Soph we're really sorry for the problems encountered during your visit, we can assure you this was an isolated issue that had never happened before and that we have taken all measures to prevent from happening again. Hopefully you will give us a chance to make it right and prove to you that this is not an issue at the property; again, we have been in business many years, always striving to make our guests vacations memorable ones and this had never happened.

We will contact you directly to speak further on this matter.

Best regards.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

when I think of a place to relax Na-Balam hotel come to my mind ,you don't nee to go anywere
there is a restaurant bar by the beach so close from the water you can hear the the sound of the waves breaking against the sandy beach.for the evening they offer another restaurant-bar
that is so beautifull it make you fill like dancing under the stars.
the rooms are very spacious the staff very frendly the sand white the ocean turquoise color.
the beach service, launge beds it is all excelent i truly enjoy it,I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: rooms near the beach are quieter
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo