All reviewsbeach sideplunge poolplaya nortebeach bedsyoga studiobeachfront roombeautiful beachcontinental breakfastpalm treesbest beach on the islandlaid backbeach locationhotel restaurantwhite sandhot waterlobby areaan umbrella
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Paradise on earth...we really enjoyed our recent stay (July 2012) at Na Balam. Staff were very friendly, room comfortable and white sand /blue ocean at your doorstep. The neighbouring Fenix Restuarant and Bar are not to be missed...chilled, waterside location and fantastic food. Cocktails on a balmy night courtesy of the expert bar staff. We also went game fishing and the restaurant turned our catch into a 3 course banquet. Wonderful memories.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ambrosia p
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I read mixed reviews prior to booking at Na Balam, but we decided to give it a try. I'm so glad we did! Yes, it showed its age in spots, but it was more than comfortable.
We spent 8 nights in a beachside room at Na Balam (room 12). I wouldn't hesitate to return and to recommend it to others. We booked thru an Orbitz package, our room was well under $100/night, including breakfast. Our room had two queen beds with pillow top mattresses, sitting area, hammock, and small safe (large enough to hold wallets, passports and cell phones). AC worked great. We had a private patio with two lounge chairs and were a stone's throw away from breakfast and the beach. Snorkeling area was a short walk away. Town with countless of restaurant options was a 5-10 minute walk.
Service was friendly. Everything was a relaxed Caribean pace. Enjoy the pace and you'll enjoy the place!
And the beach! If you imagine yourself swimming in the crystal clear water, this is your beach. Beach beds, chairs,umbrellas, and towels are available for guests at no extra charge. Restaurant/bar service is available on the beach. Outdoor showers are available for rinsing off before returning to your room.
We weren't bothered by mosquitoes at all during the day. We put bug repellant on before heading off to dinner and were fine. We used Ben's wipes with DEET. I got them on Amazon and they travel well.
I can't say if they have room service per se, but on Sunday we picked up some takeout chicken and ribs from Tinos and brought them back to our room. We got a bucket of beer from the bar, and they said it was fine to brig it to our room.
Yoga classes were offered 2x per day, for $12. I thought I'd give it a try, but was too busy enjoying the beach to try one.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bsgro

Dear Guest,
We are so happy that you had such a great experience during your stay. We hope you visit us in a near future.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at Nabalam for about five days and stayed in three different rooms. Loved them all. The view is amazing. The green smoothies are...well...really good as far as green smoothies go. Super healthy (which to me does not always mean tasty but my friends loved them). The staff was extremely accommodating. I was, am, a bit needy since I changed my flight three times (welcome to the island) and had to amend my reservation each time (even going as far as walking to another hotel just to see...but came right back to Nabalam). The staff was patient and flexible. The room above the reception area did not have a view but the room itself is soo amazing that i did not mind (and you get wireless access IN the room instead of having to go to the restaurant(s) or to the reception area. They even provided divinely scented and refrigerated towels on super hot days for their arriving, or current, guests. I had an issue with a smell emanating from the plumbing in the bathroom but they sent a handyman to look at it immediately. This is an island wide issue. Nabalam is not the only hotel where it happens.
I can't say enough about the hotel. Just go see for yourself. I have stayed at other hotels on the island, which I like very much. However, Nabalam is truly a gem. Treat yourself! You deserve it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AubadeWashingtonDC

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments and we appreciate them all, we hope you come back to our beautiful island and of course to Na Balam.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I feel a bit conflicted about Na Balam. On the one hand the resort has a fantastic location, excellent bar and restaurant, friendly staff, and our room (beachside with private pool, massive bed) was really special. On the other, it was very expensive for what was offered (i.e., $170ish with no breakfast). I praised the place highly in the comment card at check out but when I had finally got my head around the conversion rate (being British, neither Dollars nor Pesos mean much to me), it started to sting a little. The same amount of money bought us 4 nights in an equally nice hotel in Valladolid. It is annoying that the prices in Isla Mujeres (and probably Cancun) are so inflated because we tourists are too dumb to realise that we are being ripped off.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rsm45

Dear Guest,
I'm sorry to hear that you felt our hotel was over priced but, we do have different room categories with different prices. You choose one of our highest categories at the hotel. Hope that next time being a repetitive guest you can contact us directly and I can give you a special rate for your stay.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our 8 day honeymoon at Na Balam and it was absolutely wonderful. We were sad to leave!! We stayed in a plunge pool room and even though we didnt really use the plunge pool very much we really enjoyed the extra privacy of our little courtyard and felt that we could enjoy having our curtains open without being on display at all.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a small issue with our sliding door lock and it was fixed within our first hour after arriving. The grounds are beautiful and lush. We just loved that the beach in front of the hotel was quiet but if you want a little more action or people watching it is just a short walk south on the beach to several beach bars and restaurants.
The hotel does not have t.v. and ours didnt even have a clock in the room. They do however have a television in the lobby area (which we never used) and WiFi access in the lobby and the zazil ha restaurant. We enjoyed checking our email over coffee in the morning and then putting our phones away for the day. The continental breakfast at the hotel was delicious. A plateful of beautifully arranged fresh fruit, granola and fresh yogurt and a basket of toast with butter and jam. Yes the service is a bit slow, but it is nice to have life slowed down for you. Why be in a hurry...linger and enjoy the beautiful view. Also, in Mexico you have to ask for the bill. It is not America where they are trying to kick you out and re-set your table asap.
Yes, this type of hotel may not be for everyone. It is small, very quiet, and it does not have a plush over the top room. But it was perfect for us and if you understand that you come here to really get away and relax you will be amazed. The a/c worked great, the rainfall shower was luxurious and the maid kept our room spotless. Keep in mind...you can't flush any paper anywhere on the island so wrap your mind around it and get over it. Its not that big of a deal.
The beach was amazing you can walk out well over 100 yards and just be chest deep. The water is calm and the sand is like sugar.
All in all, if you are ready for relaxing and something different from one of those Mega hotels and are seeking a unique hotel with a lot of charm this is the place for you. We cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JamTX_82

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your comments, we hope to see you soon let me know when your coming back and I'll make sure to provide you with an extra discount.