Na Balam Beach Hotel
Casa de los Suenos(Isla Mujeres)
$269
Hotel D'Gomar(Isla Mujeres)
$62
$59
  • Free Internet
Hotel Kinich(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
$91
$68
Hotel Bucaneros Hotel & Suites(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
$65
$63
  • Breakfast included
Isla Mujeres Palace(Isla Mujeres)
$570
$498
Hotel Bahia Chac Chi(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
$94
$86
  • Breakfast included
Ixchel Beach Hotel(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
$277
$207
Travelocity
Hotel Plaza Almendros(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
$76
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Hotel Isleno(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
$61
Orbitz.com
All reviewsbeach sideplunge poolplaya norteyoga retreatbeach bedsbeautiful beachbeachfront roompalm treesbest beach on the islandlaid backbeach locationhot waterhotel restaurantwhite sandlobby areaan umbrellaocean front
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on July 10, 2011 after doing much research and trying to find the perfect paradise. The pictures on the internet and reviews were good so this was my first choice, yet we were disappointed with several things about Na Balam. First, do not believe the beautiful pool picture. In reality, the pool is so filthy that you'd be scared to jump into that water and become another statistic in "monsters inside of me". I did express concerned regarding the pool at the front desk and the attendant acted as if she wasn't aware that there was a problem with the pool. I'm sure she wouldn't use it either. It was just stagnant water without a pump. (Try not to get a room with pool view please; choose beachfront view instead if you do decide to stay here). Well, I decided to make the best of it and go to the beach instead. The beach was lovely and the beautiful gardens were very relaxing. Make sure to take insect repellent and not to freak out with the lizards inside the room. We stayed in room 11 beachfront view. The room was simple and I was okay until I had my first experience with bed bugs. Besides this, my next not so great experience was eating breakfast at the Na Balam Restaurant. The restaurant staff act as if they are doing you a favor to serve you and leave you waiting for a longgggggggggggggggggggg time until they finally decide to serve you and overcharge you. Save yourself the disappointment and walk 5 blocks to town and eat at any of the restaurants downtown. I recommend the Argentinian Grill. Food there is to die for. I could only take 2 days of NaBalam. I moved to the Avalon Bacarra (Cancun)instead and loved it (It cost half the price and truly was exceptional). So overall, Na Balam is over price and needs improvement. Find yourself another place and don't be mislead by the pictures. Ohhhh, the beds are as hard as rocks! To us, it was truly a disappointment with the exception of the gardens and the beach.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank marsa18
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights at Na Balam's and got here from maria's Kan-Kin. The rates were very reasonable - under $100 - for poolside rooms. I had been in touch with the hotel staff prior to arrival and they were very helpful, assuring me they would hold a room for me although I had not made reservations ahead of time.

The room we got was very large. I repeat, very large. This was very enjoyable. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. We got a room on the ground floor with a patio in the front, and a hammock which was lovely. Yes, there were tropical insects around like lizards and iguanas and the hotel has a very indoor-outdoor feel to it.

The lobby area has lots of seating and a large gazebo with comfortable seating and a TV. Free wifi is available in the lobby area. Room rates included breakfast at the beach-side restaurant. The food was amazing - homemade granola and homemade yogurt!

I also went to a yoga class ($12) that was supposed to be for an hour but went to 90 minutes. With only 4 students and a knowledgeable instructor, it felt like a private lesson.

I loved the vibe of this place. And it's within walking distance to all the restaurants and beaches on the north side, and one could easily walk to the ferry port too.

Room Tip: Take a look at rooms first to see if you want poolside or beachside.
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank slowtrav
Reviewed June 30, 2011

The hotel is so peaceful and it's in a prime location. However, the room we got was very uncomfortable for us. Be prepared it's definitely off the beaten path. I'm talking about the rooms that are int he pool side area which is away from the ocean, I can't say much about the other more expensive rooms. We got a room upstairs with a high ceiling palapa roof (made out of palm leaves). We had a 1 year old baby and I was always afraid of bugs or lizards coming in from the outside. We also had a leak that got some of our luggage wet. There is Wi-fi only in the lobby area. You might see a lot of lizards and iguana's near your door. There are not TV's coffee makers, irons, etc. so you'll relax for sure. Keep in mind that I'm talking about the "poolside" rooms, they seem to be different than the ones on the ocean side.
On the bright side, the restaurant food was delicious, but pricey. The beach is calm and the tanning beds make it so beautiful out in the ocean. The people are friendly. The feel of the restaurant is very rustic and peaceful. Taxis from the Ferri should charge you about $30 pesos (or about $2.75 USD), but you can also walk to the Centro or downtown, it's close enough for a nice walk.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms first before you decide.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank LovesIslaMujeres
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We loved this property. It was everything we were looking for to celebrate our 25 anniversary. Perfect location on a quiet beach but only a short walk to the "downtown" of Isla Mujeres. The restaurant was excellent, the service terrific and the view was beautiful. Take an upper level room on the beach if you can. You are steps away from the beach, very private. The room was not luxurious but very nice and the staff was accommodating. I needed milk but there is no way to cool it so they very graciously put it in the fridge at reception and got us ice to cool it in the morning. We spent the next five days in Cancun at the Beach Palace which was very luxurious but we yearned for the simplicity and quiet of NaBalam.

Room Tip: Ask for beach side, upper level
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank more4travel
Reviewed June 8, 2011

The beach next to Na Balam is incredibly beautiful and romantic!! Would recommend room #5-has private balcony, is upstairs (downstairs rooms share patio with room next door) and the BEST view of the hotel, can see straight out to the beach between palm trees. As many other reviews, and travelers we met on the beach mention, this hotel does not wake you up when asked for a wake up call. Because of this, we didn't get to do the snorkel tour and were not very happy. We also switched rooms into one of the private pool spots, I would recommend just choose room #5. My boyfriend got bed bugs in #13 and you could tell the room had been smoked in as it smelled of stale cigarettes. Regardless, the property is gorgeous, the food-not to mention the restaurant view-is insanely good, and Isla Mujeres was wonderful!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple