“Once again, our favorite meal on the island”
Review of Lolo Lorena

Lolo Lorena
Ranked #4 of 220 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: Lolo Lorena will not be taking reservations until December 2015 while she is recovering from surgery. we are very sorry for any inconvenience. Dinner in a private garden around a communal table. Chef Lolo creates a different menu each night. Please tell the chef of any special needs, dislikes or allergies when you reserve and she will accommodate you
Reviewed April 28, 2013

By this point, I feel like I've reviewed Lolo Lorena's so many times, and told so many people about it, that I feel like I'm a commercial. Every time we go, it's simply a fantastic experience.
Amazing food, beautiful setting, fun people, and of course, Lorena herself, who I simply adore.

The basics:
One seating a night. Make a reservation. Communal table. No menus (although if you have special dietary needs - she's very good about accommodating). many small courses (5, 6, 7 - I tend to lose count). Plan on being there for over 2 hours.

Tips: Bring your own wine. My wife and I normally bring two bottles, which carries us through the evening (and allows us to share a glass or two with new friends). Open yourself up to interact with new people, and to try new foods.

It's not just dinner - it's an entire evening experience.

Our favorite place to eat on the island, and Lorena is one of our favorite people. Hard to top that combination.

1  Thank gsherman

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I love this place, it's the 5th time I've been to Lolo's over the years and it's always a highlight of my visit. Lorena has such a warm and generous spirit and it comes through in her food and how she hosts her guests. It's a beautiful space, dining al fresco in her courtyard - it feels like a secret garden. You get course after course of beautiful looking and tasting food, I wish all my meals were this long and luxurious. Bring your own wine and be prepared to have a social evening. The mojito's are really good too. Loved the entertainment, she had a fire dancer performing poolside. You never know what surprises are in store at Lolo's but I have never been disappointed.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We live on Isla for several months a year, so we do not dine out as much as vacationers. However, we always seem to find ourselves at Lolo Lorena when we want a memorable dining experience. Lolo has never failed to please us with her unique, delicious menu choices. On our recent visit, there were a total of 4 couples for dinner. This made for a quite intimate dining experience. The conversation flowed all evening, and the food was, as always, absolutely scrumptious!
Lolo was the perfect chef and hostess. She welcomed each guest individually, then as a group, explaining the menu. The courses consisted of cheese stuffed baby zucchini, followed by a thai salad topped with grilled shrimp, wild mushroom risotto, then cucumbers with yogurt and fresh dill (served as a palate cleanser). The main course was tenderloin of beef with a green peppercorn sauce, atop dauphinose potatoes. Everything was incredibly delicious as well as beautifully presented. I wish l could pick a favorite course, but everything was so good l really couldn't choose one. Dessert was also fabulous! Lolo served 9 mini desserts, all completely decadent. We had another incredible dining experience with our favorite chef on Isla. We will be back!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

After visiting Lolo's last year, we knew to make our reservation well before we left for Isla. I say "visiting" because that is what dinner at Lolo's is --a visit to a private home with dinner prepared and served by a superior cook and hostess. We enjoy the entire experience -- dining with adventurous locals and vacationers from all over the world, having a meal unlike any other on the island, and chatting and sharing with a wonderful, warm, charming personality in her well-appointed abode. The generous and lengthy reviews about the food and experience speak for themselves -- we'll be visiting Lolo whenever we are lucky enough to be in Isla.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

When I finally heard about lolo's I was already on the island and afraid I would not be able to get reservations during my week-long stay. I was delighted to get same-day reservations via posting on her facebook wall due to a cancellation. She's frequently on facebook and responds quickly to posts.

Dinner was at 8 and bring your own wine (Or anything else you would like to drink). Prix fixe meal for four courses is $35 USD. You can pay via paypal or cash. They also serve mojito's for $5 US. Seating is communal. This was a bigger group so there were two seperate tables. My travel companion and I were with some expats, locals and vacationers. Everyone was cordial and friendly and it quickly felt like we had become good friends.

There is no menu here but Lolo does accommodate food allergies, preferences, etc and it changes everynight. She announced the menu shortly after everyone had arrived and been seated. It was an eclectic mix of cuisines, with an emphasis on fresh ingredients. There are four courses. Food was fantastic and perfectly sized portions. First course was a polenta chip, second course a thai salad with shrimp, third course was a steak, and fourth course was a mini dessert platter. Mini desserts included strawberry soup, frozen tiramisu, rosewater creme, and a candied grape. Really eclectic!

I enjoyed my dinner so much that I made another last minute reservation for my last night in town without my travel partner. I soon forgot I was traveling solo because the dinner group was so accommodating. Because this was a much small group of people, the chef came out and talked to us for a while and after the meal was finished. By the time I left, I felt like I was leaving an old friends house. I cannot wait to go back to Isla and I cannot wait to visit Lolo's again.