“A One-of-a-Kind-Experience!”

Lolo Lorena
Ranked #5 of 228 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: reservation only Please tell the chef of any special needs, dislikes or allergies when you reserve and she will accommodate you
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Going to Lolo's is not your usual night out for dinner at a restaurant. This is something to savor, a unique experience. Having dinner at Lolo's is more like going to a gallery to see art than going to a restaurant to have a meal. Choose an evening that you want to be special, and give yourself time to anticipate the adventure. You will not be disappointed. Thank you, Lolo!

1  Thank Arlakaleli

Reviewed March 13, 2013

What can I say about Lolo, as a person, as a bed and breakfast, and as a restaurant that hasnt been said before? Simply put, she truly enjoys what she does, and the guests that she hosts. We learned about Lolo before our last visit in 2011, but were not able to arrange meeting her or eating with her. So this year, even before my wife knew we were officially going to Isla, I contacted Lolo and made arrangements to stay with her in March. Shortly afterwards, we booked our dinner with her as well. More on the accommodations in a separate review.

Dinner started at 8:00pm Isla time. So really, 8:00 was a starting point as other guests arrived, and shmoozed, and uncorked their wine. Dinner was served as a 5 course meal, as others have noted. Each course was well timed, with enough time to chat with other guests, or just enjoy the beautiful courtyard. The food was gourmet, unique, and delicious, consisting of polenta gnocchi with vegetables, chorizo and artichoke risotta, maple glazed pork or chicken with Thai slaw, filet with mushroom bourbon cream sauce and dauphinoise potatoes, and a pretty plate of delectable treats. Lolo is very proud of what she serves, and seeks to give your palate both a sophisticated touch, as well as the taste of comfort. I certainly was not disappointed.

To be honest though, while the food was delicious, it was the rest of the evening that really set the night apart. Decorated in natural greenery flowing down all over the place, and carefully placed "antique store" finds (although most items were doubtlessly found at an antique store, but rather by Lolo's observant eye everywhere she goes), colorful lights hung around the courtyard, nestled between her kitchen/guesthouse and her own residence. The ambiance cant be beat. Her staff was attentive, polite, and quite diligent at their job, all with a smile. They knew dietary restrictions, likes and dislikes of the guests, and made sure everybody had exactly what they wanted. The evening concluded with a fire dancer on her pool deck, which was a perfect way to end the evening. All 18 guests gathered around in the back to watch the stunning display.

All in all, as everybody else agrees on Trip Advisor, Lolo puts on quite a night. Definitely make a reservation, and if you want to bring the kids, she now does Wednesday night family nights earlier in the evening. Expect a fun group to come together and enjoy a one of a kind dining experience. The evening doesnt end until the last guest leaves... enjoy the experience, and make a night of it.

1  Thank Aaron A
Reviewed March 13, 2013

After a poor dinner a couple of years ago, we thought we would give it another try. Where do I begin? First...there were too many people crammed into the space and it was too warm. Second...Lolo served a French onion soup that was about 2 tablespoons per person. Third...the main course of this 5 course meal was a Shepherds Pie that was essentially ground beef with mashed potatoes on top without any kind of seasoning. No one at the table liked this dinner as a whole. I won't be going back.

4  Thank angelokid
parislola92, Owner at Lolo Lorena, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

I am very sorry you did not enjoy your evening at Lolo Lorena.
Several diners joined another group at the last minute (which increased the number to 25) in hindsight, I should have not accepted the additional guests. Two items on my menu had to be changed n the middle of my prep to accommodate the additional guests. If you happened to be one of these additional guests, please know that I did my best to make your evening enjoyable instead of turning you away.
My Shepherds pie was made with, beef & pork tenderloin and duck. I do admit it was too dry to my liking as well.
The French Onion soup is meant as a teaser, not a main course, thus the small portion, which I explained when serving.
With the inclement weather, I had no choice but to serve dinner indoors. I am planning to build a larger area indoors in case of bad weather soon.
Again, I am very sorry you did not enjoy your experience at Lolo Lorena.
I appreciate your comments, as well as I appreciate the excellent reviews made by others who were here the same night.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a must do on the island if you're a foodie. Lolo and her staff are incredible & make you feel so welcome. The food was outstanding. Lolo even gave us a tour of her property after dinner. This was definitely the highlight of our trip.

1  Thank Tonya S
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Each course shows the love that goes into each morsel she cooks. Not only is the food creative, fresh and delicious, you go away knowing you've had a special night out with a warm and welcoming hostess.

1  Thank 1uvthe5un