“Old Faithful”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa el Pio

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Casa el Pio
Holland, Michigan, United States
“Old Faithful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We have stayed at Casa for quite a few years now. Still clean, quiet and quaint. A huge thank you to the interim manager, Steve, who was very kind and helpful! He offered valuable insight about our trip to Merida, hooked us up with great Casa El Pio tee shirts, and even left a Christmas card on our door. Casa El Pio is known as a gem, but so is Steve! We will see you in the next year or two!

Room Tip: Room 1 has a great private patio!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

The first time I visited Isla was as a backpacker in 2005, having a break from junior doctor shifts. That time my budget ( and drinking habits) allowed me to stay at poc na which was awesome but I reckoned I was too old for that now. So I was a bit nervous about returning with my partner, they say it is never as good second time around. Well it was better to be honest. Casa el Pio was quiet and full of character. Room 3 I would choose every time due to the ocean waves. The jet lag allowed me to watch the sunrise from my bed. Fridge had courtesy tequila which was a lovely touch. More importantly the coffee maker also allowed for our tea bags, very important for us Brits.

I strongly recommend this place for its cleanliness, discrete staff and peace. Zamas was again our favourite as it was quiet, Olivia's for Turkish pizza and fruit salad/ nutella +mango crepes from cafe hildalgo. Bally hoo and mango cafe all as good as I remembered. Tried induna charters as well which was fab. I will return and I will seek this place out again ( if it is not booked up already!).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

After booking my trip to Isla Mujeres, I realized my time there in early September would be during the rainy season. However I was still excited since it usually doesn't rain all day long and I had reserved the ocean view room at tiny Casa el Pio. I had never been to Isla Mujeres and couldn't visualize the location but the small hotel is located at the south end of Isla's town center. My room at Casa el Pio was quiet, exceptionally clean and the ocean view was fabulous. Even when the weather was stormy, it was exciting to see the wind and waves right outside my window. I loved the intimate environment of a place with only four guest rooms which was very close to the main street, the ferry dock and restaurants. Since the owner of nearby Casa Sirena, Steve, was managing Casa el Pio, I was able to join their happy hour and have delicious breakfasts at Casa Sirena for a small extra cost. After my first convivial happy hour, I decided that it was worth the money since I was traveling alone and enjoyed meeting other travelers. Can't wait to return to the island and stay here again.

Room Tip: No fitness or room service but this doesn't matter to me since I wanted a small hotel like this...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JeanneMarie2013
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic decor, very clean and great location, close to ferry terminal and main tourist street yet very quiet. Rooms are big and clean - only drawbacks are that wifi can't be received in the rooms and slightly overpriced - but overall great stay!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank AndrewNg1982
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Casa el Pio far exceeded our expectations. The rooms were very spacious, with 2 areas- the bedroom and a large lounge area with comfy day bed perfect for naps. The rooms were very stylish, with locally made furniture and linens and tastefully decorated. Rooms were clean and fresh towels including beach towels available. Drinking water, complimentary beer and tequila for 2 and organic toiletries were very nice touches. The hotel is about 5-10 mins easy walk to plays Norte (the main beach area) however it is a very hot walk during late July (our stay) so the shady plunge pool at the hotel was very nice! its around 50m from the start of the main restaurant area and a supermarket which is fantastic. Staff were fantastic, particularly the host, Jill, who was very friendly and kindly helped us organise a great tour to nearby isla contoy and provided advice about nice places to eat out and the need for sea sickness tablets for the whale sharks trip (much appreciated!). We left casa el pio feeling very well rested and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if we return to isla mujeres!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Alextheaussie
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Casa el Pio is a great choice for a stay on Isla Mujeres. The rooms are super clean, with nice soap and shampoo, and hand built furniture. They are all very spacious and pretty, but Room 3 is by far the best because of the ocean view and the mini-patio that comes with it. The bed in Room 3 is divine, you will not want to get out of it. Each room has notebooks with previous guests' suggestions for things to do, and places to eat, which is very helpful, as well as an informational booklet written by the owners which is also quite helpful. Jill is very helpful too.
We stayed a night in Room 2, but it does not have much natural light.
All in all, Casa el Pio is great.

Room Tip: Room 3! Ocean view, and ocean breeze. Mini-patio. Wonderful bed.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alamito
Hurst, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I spent 4 nights at Casa el Pio, upstairs with a beautiful ocean view and breeze. I was able to sit in the morning, have my coffee and see the Carribean side ocean. You can also hear the sound of the waves when you open the window and at night,the ocean provides a wonderful breeze, to the point you don't need the ac. Loved, loved the charm and peacefulness of the courtyard. The room was very clean. All the furniture is locally made and very comfortable. The location is a block from the oceanview boardwalk for a nice walk or run. It is located near the local grocery store and central to many fantastic restaurants. Easy walk to almost anything on the North end of the island. Perfect for learning the island. Will stay there when I return in October

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends