“Great dive shop”

Aqua Adventures Eco Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: Come Dive With Us! Swim with the Whale Sharks mid May thru Sept! Explore MUSA, the underwater museum. Enjoy the crystal blue waters of Isla Mujeres and Cancun. We are a family owned dive center offering daily tours for certified and uncertified divers, and PADI courses through divemaster. Our goal is to provide you, your friends and family with safe fun aquatic adventures and education! Now you can train/dive with our Ocean Reef Full Face Masks! English speaking staff, Dive, train, whale shark tours, snorkeling, inspected tanks, oxygen on the boats!! Book your adventure today! PADI resort #19146 since 2004.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked our whale shark encounter thru Aqua Adventures, and a 2 tank, 2 spot dive. Jim and Daisy run a great business, and hire a fantastic dive crew. Accommodating to all skill levels, including OWD certification and Discover SCUBA divers. The entire shop has a great atmosphere and they are all quiet professionals; as a retired USN diver, I was very comfortable and confident. As far as customer service, when the "standard" sizes of fins were not sufficient, Jim loaned me his own drysuit fins. When you get on the boat, Oscar will make sure you don't lift a finger setting up your own gear (even if you're used to it), everything is waiting for you on the boat, ready to wear. Divemaster Wilbur is a great guide who knows both his diving, and his island. Cannot recommend highly enough - book with confidence. Excellent value, reasonable prices.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I spent a week in Isla Mujeres diving. We loved the dive shop and their staff. Wilbert, the dive master and Oscar, the sailor were wonderful about handling equipment and making our experience a good one. Jose’ always helped me put on my gear. He knew I was picky and he never pushed me to get in the water before I was ready. WOW! What wonderful diving. We were on the Punta Sur afternoon dive where the dolphins spent several minutes playing and putting on a show for us. They never complained about taking only two divers out on a trip. Mating turtles, playful dolphins, beautiful night dive, magnificent dive-throughs , and an incredible deep wreck were part of our trip. Thanks Aqua Adventures Eco Divers. WOW! A fabulous time. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you go to Isla Mujeres in the summer, go swimming with the whale sharks. It is an amazing experience and there are lots of companies that do it. We went with Aqua Adventures because they were recommended by our hotel and they were ok. A little slow on the email communications and they seemed sort of flaky. We were also one of the last boats out there. However, the guides were great and they served us beer and ceviche at the end of the trip so I can't complain too much. Bring long sleeves if you burn easily because despite 50 spf sunscreen, there isn't much shade on the boat and we all burned.

1  Thank scru_ball
DiveIslaMujeres, Owner at Aqua Adventures Eco Divers, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

We've certainly been working hard this season and finally found the right person to join our team! Our new ( as of late July ) PADI Instructor, shop and operations team member Carlos ( with an ASU CS degree to boot ) has become a huge asset in helping us provide even better experiences for our guests. Carlos has experience in dive shop and resort management in Central America, has traveled the globe working in the dive industry and exploring!

Regarding our arrival time at the site of the whale sharks.....leaving a little later that some of the other boats allows us to get the GPS coordinates of the pod in transit. We also stay at the pod later, when many of the earlier boats have departed.

Even with forward and aft awnings on the boat, there is always to chance to get sunburned. Sunscreen is extremely important for skin health and a comfortable experience during a tropical vacation. Whale shark swimmers are required to use biodegradable sunscreen and apply it prior to arriving at the pod to avoid it sloughing off into the water during swimming/

Reviewed July 7, 2013

In March 2013, my wife and I were making our way home from a one-week visit to Cozumel. Since our flight home was very early out of Cancun, we decided to leave Cozumel and get ourselves back to the Cancun area a day early. Once we arrived in Cancun, we needed an activity for the day. The concierge at our hotel recommended a visit to Isla Mujeres since it was just a short ferry ride away. Since we had never visited the island before, we decided to go for it. After a short and beautiful ferry ride, we arrived at Isla Mujeres. From the very moment that we arrived, we both knew that we were somewhere very special. Since Isla is only five miles long and a half-mile wide, we decided to rent a golf cart and make our way around the island. Golf carts are plentiful and a common mode of transportation for persons visiting the island. I could fill many pages describing the beautiful things and places we visited while touring the island. But since this is actually a review for Aqua Adventures Eco Divers, let me just say that the island is breathtaking, extremely charming and very safe…now to Aqua Adventures Eco Divers. My wife and I are both certified scuba divers, so obviously while walking around in the downtown (centro) area, I had my eyes open for scuba facilities. I was very interested in knowing what scuba diving was like around the island. We were most certain by this point that a return trip to this special place was coming soon. For no other reason than great luck alone, I now see a sign for Aqua Adventures Eco Divers. We decide to walk in and see if we could get some information on diving Isla Mujeres. This is where we meet Jim and Daisy for the first time, the owners of Aqua Adventures Eco Divers. Jim and Daisy kindly spend at least the next hour explaining what scuba diving is like in the surrounding waters of Isla Mujeres. They answered our numerous questions, showed us some pictures and filled us in on special things that Isla Mujeres has to offer. Things such as the underwater museum and the beautiful whale shark migration that takes place close to the island a few months of every year, one of only a few places that this happens as I understand it. Jim and Daisy are very passionate about diving and it shows in their excitement as they speak with you about it. Their upmost concern is providing their customers with a wonderful diving experience and their safety as the number one concern. Now loaded with tons of information about Isla Mujeres and the great diving that it offers, we were ready to plan our return trip. For various reasons, we settled on June 26th through July 3rd 2013 to return. We decided to schedule a reef dive, an adventure dive and a whale-shark tour. Originally we had elected to schedule these every other day or so throughout our week. On day one of our return trip, we almost immediately went to Aqua Adventures to discuss our upcoming dives. Daisy was in the office and happened to be monitoring the weather conditions. We discussed how I originally wanted our dives scheduled, but then Daisy showed us the absolute best days regarding weather and water conditions. We scheduled per her recommendations, and boy, are we glad we did. Perfect weather and the best water conditions I have personally ever dove in. I love to take underwater photographs/videos and the ones I took on these dives are absolutely the best I have ever taken. So far, we have dove areas such as Aruba, Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, Turks & Caicos and the Florida Keys. Although all of these were great dive locations, my photographs and videos were always similar in regards to the fish and other creatures photographed. Only in Isla Mujeres did we see, not one or two, but numerous Sea Turtles, huge Whale Sharks, Manti Rays and a wonderful underwater museum. I’m well aware that most all of this can be seen in other areas as well. My point is just that I’m extremely pleased with our diving experience at Isla Mujeres and especially with Jim, Daisy and the crew at Aqua Adventures Eco Divers, it’s right up there with other great diving locations. If you are considering a dive trip to Isla Mujeres I highly recommend Aqua Adventures Eco Divers… their shop, boat and crew are top rate.

Honestly, my review was completed at this point. But before I could post it, I see there is yet another response to “Long Wait For Nothing” posted on June 29, 2013. My wife and I were not diving on this particular day but we were diving this same week. Here’s my two cents for what it’s worth. If you read my review to this point there should be no doubt that our experience with Aqua Adventures Eco Divers was perfect to say the least. The numerous people that dove with us throughout the week were also very happy. They may not submit a review, but I spoke with most of them and even stayed at the same resort as some and we discussed in detail what a great time we had. This also seems apparent from the numerous positive reviews they have since becoming the new owners of Aqua Adventures Eco Divers. Having said that, did this group have a bad experience on June 29? It appears that they did and I feel badly for them because they apparently left with a negative view of Aqua Adventures Eco Divers and Isla Mujeres in general and that’s a shame because they are both wonderful places. All I can say is that being in a business myself that deals with the general public, I know that I give a 110% to satisfy all of my customers all of the time. Have I satisfied all of them 100% of the time? Unfortunately not…. there are just those days that no matter how hard you try, things just won’t go right for one reason or another. I think we all have had one of those days. I’m not familiar with every detail of that day so that’s all I will say. I just wanted to address it because getting to know Jim and Daisy throughout the week, I know that their full intentions is to satisfy everyone and have them leave with wonderful memories…such as ours.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is in response to "Long wait...for nothing" and "Rolling with the punches". First and foremost, there was no getting out of the shop a little late. It was very late - 2 hours to be exact. If you have a scheduled time to leave, then stick with it. If there are divers that are very late, then they should go out with the next boat. We planned this trip for several months with Jim. He knew that we coming for a very specific dive on a specific date - a little thing called reservations. Not only did he not have enough paperwork for us, some of it was outdated. He also knew we would be renting equipment from him for the dives, so it shouldn't have caused issues getting us geared up. To make things worse, we had to sit on the boat another 30 minutes waiting for him to show up. Again, had we left at 8:30 instead of 11:00, we would have been able to do our reserved dive at the museum and Punta Sur. His poor planning is what stopped us getting to do our dives.

We were told by Jim that he would "skew the schedule back 30 minutes that day if there are 4 of you coming" but we had to make the 8:00 ferry to the island. We arrived in plenty of time to get the paperwork done and get our equipment. Yes, we chose to get up early but that was our choice. We did what was needed to arrive at the shop on time, which we did. The fact that we got up early, took two ferries and a shuttle has nothing to do with the boat not leaving on time. We had planned on doing our dives and then spend the day exploring the island. We are all experienced divers and understand about the weather changing. However, had he been prepared for us and had everything ready, we could have gotten in both our dives before the weather changed. I don't feel that the unexpected student diver showing up wanting to take AOW classes should have trumped our reservations.

When Jim asked everyone what they wanted the second dive to be, we all agreed we wanted to do Punta Sur so we could see the sea turtles. At some point Jim changed what we wanted to do because of the incoming weather. I know the first dive is a deep dive then the shallow dive. However, since we got such a late start, which again was not our fault, I feel that we should have done the museum instead of the adventure dive we did so the student diver could work on her AOW certification. The current was beyond horrible that day. You had to grab rocks to advance in the current. This is something that should never be done. There was no kicking "upstream". There was nothing exciting about this dive. I am glad the student diver had a better experience where she was than what we experienced. My husband and I are the type of divers who believe as long as you are in the water, it is good dive but I can honestly say this one was not. The boat ride back was more exciting than the acutal dive.

Yes, Jim offered to wait a while to see if it was going to clear up so he could take us back out but the harbor was closed for the remainder of the day and all the next day. It was not possible for us to make a return trip after the harbor was reopened a few days later therefore we opted to take a refund and left.

I am glad that others have had a wonderful experience with the dive company. However, I do not foresee returning to Isla Mujers to try this dive company again.

2  Thank Love2Dive2011
DiveIslaMujeres, Owner at Aqua Adventures Eco Divers, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

This is our second response to the group of 4 divers who came from Cozumel that day to dive the museum. A front from the south came in, we abandoned dive 2. Not an electrical storm, but wind, chop, and rain, unpleasant for divers and crew.

Our ( as a dive shop ) takeaway from this day of diving is:

1) for a group of customers traveling from an off island location to visit a specific dive site we will recommend a private boat. This will avoid the compromises that sometimes occur when working to meet the needs of different groups of divers during one boat trip. This boat had 7 divers aboard, a single person, ( the AOW student who submitting the "Rolling...." review, and a married couple.

This is not normally an issue for our customers, let's say this experience has made us a bit more sensitive.

Note: we don't mix students and non-students under one dive leader/instructor. On that day, the AOW student had a dedicated instructor.

2) We will be streamlining our credit card process. We processed three charges that morning, which no doubt slowed things down. Our options include adding card swiping technology and collecting balances due for dives prior to the morning of the dive.

We will continue to do drift dives at La Bandera, Canonero, Punta Sur, Grampin and Punta Negra. We love them. Current will vary from visit to visit. At Punta Sur, sometimes we swim cross current early on to position for the swim through 1/3 of the way in, or to take a closer look at a turtle. At La Bandera, we swim upcurrent if gentle enough so that we can explore more of the two reef structures. Canonero ( at 80 feet ) gets abandoned if the current is too strong to dive safely, always considering the skill levels of the divers on the boat.

We will continue to respond intelligently to weather conditions with the goal of providing our divers the best experience possible. This happened yesterday when we rerouted from Pailas to the North to Manchones, to avoid thunderstorms moving over waters north of the island. We had two fantastic dives at Manchones 2 and Atlantis, sunshine streaming down from the surface, over 60 feet of visibility.

On occasion, we will be delayed as we wait for the Isla Mujeres and Cancun Harbor masters to make decisions about port closure due to inclement weather.

Safety first, then FUN and ADVENTURE!!