“Totally renovated and the best fish on La Isla” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Playa Lancheros

Playa Lancheros
Ranked #101 of 201 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Cuisines: Seafood, Mexican, Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Montreal, Canada
“Totally renovated and the best fish on La Isla”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is my fourth time to La Isla and, last time I was here, was in August 2011. I already knew Playa Lancheros but, this time, I barely recognized the place which has been entirely renovated. It looks soooo much better and they even have 2 new palapas and grass by the beach !

I complimented the staff because the transformation from when I was there was amazing. They added long chairs on the beach but the best part was the restaurant, which I also knew before.

My mother was here for the first time and I wanted her to try the Tikinxic fish, which is a speciality of La Isla Mujeres. So, I took the roasted one on the grill and she had the special receta secreta ( special secret recipe). That latter came with a special sauce which Mom loved ! I tasted it too and it was delicious eventhough I prefered mine. They serve the fish cut in half and it's red.

The waiter was very nice and smiling all the time. She did confirmed that the place was renovated last year and was happy to see us so happy ourselves. This is A MUST if you go to La Isla. The prices are also very reasonnable. Great memories !

• Visited September 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Was alright, but overrated, in my opinion”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

When researching about what to eat on the island, we came across "tik-n-chik" as a speciality of the island. We then asked around where to have this dish, and almost everyone recommended this restaurant.

The last day of our stay there, we specifically took a taxi there just for the fish.

We ordered the special grilled fish, a seafood-stuffed fish dish, and large Jamaica magarita

The magarita was very strong and didn't have much taste. I could also feel chunks of ice in it. Not cheap either.

There was a long wait for the "special" fish, which we were fine with it, assuming it was really that special. We sat on an outside table during the wait, and I was feeding the mosquitoes the entire time. Please remember to bring mosquito repellent. The view of the beach was very nice though.

Service was alright. Our waiter was pretty expressionless, can't say he was unfriendly, but he was pretty much just doing his job mechanically.

As far as how the dish go, I would say it was so-so (and definitely not worth the price, also factoring in the cost of taxi). It was dry and not too flavorful. I actually liked the seafood-stuffed fish better.

Overall, I would say, if it is on the way and/or you are around the area, you can check this place out if you want to check off eating the "specialty" of the island. If not, you might want to think twice about going out of the way to try this place

• Visited August 2013
West Point, New York
“Good food...just not great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We wandered into here while touring the island on a golf cart for lunch. Overall the food was just "ok". However, the shrimp skewers were really good. Drinks were small for the price. Having the beach access and ability to swim in the ocean was a plus but the sand was a bit rough with a fair amount of coral chunks.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Arlington, Texas
“July 2013”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Went for lunch. We ordered the "special" fish. We knew it would take about 30-45 minutes to get our order. While we were waiting we ordered guacamole. A little bland, had to find a waiter to get some hot stuff to add to it. We checked out the cook house (where the fish is cooked). When we got back to the table the waiter was standing there fanning our fish, because the flies were all about the fish. Well the "special" fish wasn't so special. It was dry, no flavor, & oh did I tell you about the flies? We had to fan our plate while we ate, we finished in about 5 minutes.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank vincebc
Sachse, Texas
“Awesome beach bar and grill!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I do Cancun every year and always day trip to Isla. We stumbled into Playa Lancheros about 5 years ago and now eat there every trip. The whole deep fried fish is amazing! The skin is crispy and delicious, the meat inside is tender and tasty. And the fish is right off of the fisherman's boat, so you know it's fresh. The setting is perfect. We sit at a table in the sand and cool our feet while we eat. And it is very affordable. We have never spent more than 40 bucks there, including cervezas and tip. Definitely worth spending a couple of hours of your vacay there!

• Visited September 2012