“I want to go back and never leave”
Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed September 14, 2010

This place was soooooooo great!!!! We went with the All Inclusive plan from Sept 9-13 and loved it! No problems checking in and we had the right room. I recommend the AI just because I figured it out and it was only about $30 a person per day...which I had easily used up by noon with drinks and lunch. The beach was the most amazing beach I have every been to!!! The sand was so fine and the water was so clear, it was absolutely perfect! The waitors actual bring you drinks (water or alcohol) right up to the water. Miguel was my favorite waitor, he truely enjoyed his job and did and was excellent at it, tip him well!!!! I have all good things to say about Satay, the sushi was wonderful and you must try to tempura icecream...DELICIOUS!!!! The drinks are a bit on the weak side but ask for "mucho rum" and no problem. My favorite drink was the miami vice which is a strawberry daquiri and pina colada...yum yum. I had a couple Memosa's in the morning with breakfast. If you are at the pool bar ask for the Alex special, I don't know what is in it but it is delicious. The island is beautiful and I definitely recommend renting a golf cart and driving around the island. The best price is from Jesus, he wears an orange helmet and usually can be found hanging out beside Sabor (which is the breakfast buffet place). I had read alot of review raving about the breakfast buffet, it was ok, nothing to write home about. We choose to sit outside because there were these cats that would be sitting around and we would feed them...they are picky and don't eat beef but love ham and sausage. If you don't like them than don't feed them. I loved this resort and will definitely go back!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank ahmeidi81
Write a ReviewReviews (3,037)

Reviewed September 13, 2010

I think \i have had enough of this hotel, when you 1st arrive you will be impressed with the rooms, AND THEY TELL YOU ABOUT THE FACILITY AND ROOM SERVICE AND THAT YOU CAN ORDER ANYTHING YOU WANT 24 HOURS A DAY AND YOU WILL GET IT IN 15 OR 20 MIN. BUT THAT IS ABOUT WHERE IT ALL STOPS, EVERY TIME WE WANTED TO ORDER ROOM SERVICE WE HAD TO WAIT ON THE PHONE UNTILL THEY FOUND SOMEONE WHO COULD SPEAK ENGLISH AND STIILL YOU WOULD SPEND TEN MIN TRYING TO EXPLAIN WHAT YOU WANT. IT ALWAYS TOOK AN AVERAGE OF 45 MIN TO 1 HOUR BEFORE YOU GET WHAT YOU ORDER, EVEN IF IT WAS JUST BEER. THE ''mini bar'' is a joke, there is 3 beers in there, some POP and three bags of ''3 for a dollar'' chips in there. they said that it gets restocked every day, well that did not happen in our case, we always have to call and ask for beer and they tell you that is only available in draft for room service not bottles nor cans. we got a platinum package ''all inclusive'' with a pool in our room, there was always things floating around in the pool so I had to close my eyes every time I went in it.
The food is OK but not great, their buffette had very limited choices. The Beach restaurant was not bad neither was SATAY. you would have to sign for everything you eat or drink and if you dont they will follow you all over the place.
In general this place was a lot worse than any of the other ''all inclusive '' places we have been to all around the carribean, here they have more managers than regular employees, not very freindly staff and you dont get what you paid for or expected. they only look good on the outside but the real experience was not good. Maybe it was just our luck, but I think that since we were here in september ''low season'' that service and everything else would be better but it was not. hopefully you may have better luck than us, that is if you decide to stay here.

Reviewed September 12, 2010

I booked both my sons honeymoons at the Privilege. One in August and the other in February. They both had a wonderful time on the island but a few things were missing from the Pivilege experience. First son did not get their private dinner that was part of a honeymoon package. I just learned of this or I would have taken that into consideration on booking the second sons honeymoon. For my second son, I happened to noticed in the pictures that the bed only had white sheets and white blanket. I questioned my son about this and they stated that the first day it had a duvet on it but no matching pillow shams as would be displayed on the room pictures. The rest of the week it was only made up with white sheet and blanket, no duvet or pillow shams. I purchased the romance package for them and they did get their private dinner and the bed had a towel decoration and rose petals as you can see in the picture, but still just the white sheets and blanket. Imagine this bed without the rose petal and towel decoration. It would look pretty blah! Buy the way, the dinner made them both very ill so my first son and daughter-in-law were probably pretty fortunate. I wrote the hotel and told them that since I had told them on several occations that this was a honeymoon and I purchased the romance package which is extra, I would have expected that the bed presentation would be more than white sheets and blanket. They arrived on a Monday and there special dinner was served on Friday, so all week it it was just made with white sheets and white blanket--very dissapointing! As you can tell from resort pictures, the room is very plain and without the bed being made properly the room then more resembles a Motel 6. I received absolutely no response to my email from the hotel. I had told them I was also planning a 25th wedding trip there this month, but have since changed my mind and will not be staying at Privilege. After booking two honeymoon trips there I really think they owed me some sort of explanation, but absolutely no response. BTW, if you do book, both of my sons said the all inclusive is a complete waste of money unless you plan on drinking all day. They stated the food was much beter elsewhere. So disappointed, because this was suppose to be a special occasion. I understand that something can be forgotten, but no response is completely unacceptable.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cwisch1
Reviewed September 9, 2010

My husband and I just returned after spending a week in Isla. Our stay at PA was more than we expected and we can't wait to go back. Prior to booking our trip I read many reviews from other travelers and want to provide a summary of my experience. First I want to start by saying my husband and I are pretty low key travelers - we were thrilled to visit Isla and experience the many joys the island has to offer.

First the hotel: We booked the 2 story grand platinum suite with a private pool and loved the room. If you have an option - ask for room 626. 'Nemo' our trusted PA employee told us this is the best suite on the property - after viewing several others, I would agree. It has the largest private pool and a great view of the ocean. The room was large with a separate kitchen area (not sure what purpose this serves), living room, bedroom and 2 bathrooms. One bathroom is off of the bedroom and the other is on the 2nd floor off of the pool with a private shower. The room does get a little stuffy/musty but it is a tropical island - they offer incense and after a day we didn't notice it. In my opinion the best part of the room was the 3 private decks - I didn't go on vacation to be in my room and when we were there, we were outside. It was great spending time in the private pool after the sunset. Yes, it is next to a cemetery - I personally thought it was kind of cool - there is a school across the street, and yes it gets noisy when they are outside - they are kids! Get out of your room and go to the beach, you won't hear it.

Beach: located on the prime playa norte - the beach is amazing. Crystal clear waters and perfect place to watch the sun set. As a hotel guest you get free access to the beds and chairs - all others have to pay. We never had an issue finding a spot. There was always room. Walk to the right and you will find more amazing beaches and waters. If you are in the mood for a massage get one on the beach! Several vendors have tents set up - $30 for an hour! Can't beat it!!

Food: We did do the all inclusive option - it made the most sense for us as we enjoy the opportunity to try many different things without worrying about the cost. They have a strange armband system that I still don't understand. They have gold bands, which we had, blue and white bands - the staff knew the difference we did not. Just knew that we could somehow get 'top shelf' liquor with our gold bands. The breakfast at Sabor was good - fresh fruit, usually some traditional Mexican options and made to order omelette's. They had french toast/waffles/pancakes as well, but I didn't try those. They had a lot of bread/muffin/roles as well - but I didn't try those either. We usually ate lunch on the beach at Cafe del Moar - and were always pleased with the options. The ceviche was great, as were the shrimp skewers. We tried just about everything on their menu and were never disappointed or hungry. We did eat lunch at Sabor once and was surprised to see it was not a buffet but rather a menu of Italian food. We were both very surprised that we enjoyed our pasta dishes (usually I don't care for restaurant pasta). I have to say by far our favorite was Satay. Again - go with an open mind, try new things and enjoy. One night we had red snapper and it wasn't great - I don't think it was red snapper. Another night I had the 'mixed Satay' and this was amazing. We talked to many diners who agreed this was great. Others stated the beef was good - I didn't try it. We had the tuna and it was cooked perfectly - rare in the middle. The shrimp appetizers were again very tasty and don't forget dessert! We left extremely full every night!!! If you ordered something you didn't like - order something else. The service was a tad slow, but who cares, you are on vacation - I didn't have anywhere else to go! Plus, take some time to chat with the staff - they are very kind. Ricardo in Satay was a delight to talk to.

Service: We didn't have any issues with the service, in fact we found the staff to be increadibly friendly and willing to do just about anything to get you something. I have to give a shout out to Ponce who was not only attentive but fun to hang out with! Quick with a joke and willing to run around for whatever we needed/wanted. David at the beach was also amazing. We were never without a drink in our hands on the beach - it was extremely hot and he always made sure we had plenty of bottled water. One note to anyone traveling to PA - PLEASE tip your service staff. From your waiters to the maid, these people work so increadibly hard and for little pay. It pained me to see people throughout the resort demanding things of the staff without tipping in return. $5 goes a long way and is greatly appreciated. We brought $100 in 1's and $100 in 5's and went through it all with the staff and feel it was well worth it. We didn't ever need a thing.

MISC: We rented a golf cart one day and would highly recommend it. Toured the island several times over. Loved it. Went to the Ruins at Punta Sur and really enjoyed this. Paid $3 to walk to the end and walked through the trails and took some amazing pictures of the surf. Walked a lot and had dessert at several places. The Neapolitan gelato at Ronaldi's was to die for... my mouth is watering thinking of it! Had coffee and pastries at a great place just down from our hotel - can't think of it - but also great. We had heard from a lot of people that garaffon just isn't what it used to be. We drove past it and the water in front of it is amazing - but decided it wasn't for us. Even with the AI option we got out a lot and sampled food from many of the local places. Jax across the street is closed for remodeling -

Whale Sharks: we were very excited to go out on a tour and booked with a local reputable company. What we weren't prepared for was the terribly unsafe excursion we went on. Our captain said the waters were 'rough' but what we experienced was more than rough. It was reckless. We had 10 people on our boat and headed out into 'deep' waters. When we left the island we headed into very choppy waters. Lets just say every wave we hit dumped gallons and gallons of water on us. It was very unsafe and uncomfortable. Several guests became ill and scared from the water crashing into us. After 45 minutes we all agreed to turn back. The captain did not want to turn back. It took great convincing from us to get him to turn around. It was simply unsafe. We did't have life jackets on and getting hit with wave after wave in the face is not fun for anyone. We found out that on a typical day 45 boats took this journey, on this day we were one of three that had dared to go out. I now know why. Do you homework, ask questions and if you feel unsafe, like we did - act on it. The channel was shut down for the next two days due to dangerous conditions. I hope no one has to experience what we did. Alas, this did not ruin our trip by any means - we joke about it now saying we survived and were never happier to have land under our feet.

All in all - this was a trip to remember. I can't wait to go back. There is an energy and sweetness to this island and I am a forever fan. If you are someone who likes a bit of pampering - consider PA. The staff is wonderful, the rooms are comfortable and the location on Playa Norte can't be beat.

5  Thank EJV32012
Reviewed September 9, 2010

A friend and I stayed at this hotel based on all the reviews. Boy, were we surprised! First of all, if you are looking for quiet...this is the place. If you want any kind of entertainment other than what you bring with you, this is NOT the place for you.

This is a very picturesque place and everything is kept very clean. There are jacuzzi tubs on many balconies and the top floors have private pools. The problem for us (I was there with a friend) was that either people didn't realize you could see them on their balconies or didn't care. It would have been kind of humorous if there weren't children there. But you will definitely see EVERYTHING at this hotel.

There are no activities whatsoever. No snorkeling equipment, no pool activities, no games, no live entertainment at night....just lots of quiet.

It advertises that you will have a fully stocked bar in your room. What they mean is there is a mini fridge stocked with Diet Coke, Fanta, Water, Dr. Pepper, etc. But not liquor, so not what I would call a stocked bar.

The 3 restaurants share 1 kitchen. So there are 3 different places to eat, but not 3 different restaurants (they all have the same food). Most of the food was inedible (and I am not a picky eater), and we didn't care for most of the drinks. The beer is fine!

Should we go back, we would opt for eating and drinking in town and just using this as your hotel...but again...don't bring the kids unless you need to give them a lesson on the birds and the bees!

This might be a better hotel once they get the kinks out...(It is only 1 1/2 years old).

Reviewed September 8, 2010

We have already booked our trip to the PA again for next year! We LOVED it! Service was great, room was awesome (especially the view, the sunsets!), and the food was delicious! Definitely recommend the all inclusive. Breakfast at Sabor, lunch at Cafe Del Mar (shrimp cerviche), and dinner at Satay (you have to try the banana fry!). This was the most relaxing trip we have ever had and we are counting down the days til we return!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank childog
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I wanted to take a moment to leave a review. We stayed at this resort back in July. The staff was very helpful and friendly. A+++ on that. Isla Mujeres is beautiful and amazing. However the hotel is one of the newest on the island and it is already falling apart and beginning to show it's wear and tear. We stayed in a Platinum Suite with private pool. Supposedly one of the best rooms in the resort. The ceiling in the living room gave way and began to leak on night #5. The staff would not offer anything for this happening. It was awful and an inconvenience. The A/C continued to freeze up and blow hot air. When it was turned off the access panel in the bathroom would leak all over bathroom flooring during the melting. We had severe rain one night and water came all in the master bedroom via the latching window. The elevator broke in the building so we had to walk to level 5! The food was great and the staff was excellent once again. The drinks were WEAK on the all-inclusive plan we were on. I would not recommend this hotel. They are other options that are not falling apart. The Satay Restaurant was AMAZING !!! A+++ to there and the waitstaff. That is all I have to say. I will include some photos of the damages and leaking room / water issues.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GABERTTRAVELER
PrivilegeIslaMujeres, Quality Control & Spokeperson at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2010

On behalf of hotel management we would like to apologize for the inconveniences caused during the strong rainy season last July (according to CONAGUA, National Commission of Water in Mexico last months of July & August have been reported as the most rainy months in the history). It is very unfortunate that your suite, penthouse located, has been affected by the rain during your stay. We are extremely ashamed about the situation & take full responsibility for this. We are fixing the problem and currently also refurbishing the terrace deck in the suite to assure & guarantee that a situation like this never happen again.