“Update to last year's review”
Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have been asked to post some pictures of the view from our balcony last year. We were in room 441 overlooking the school. It was a Room Deluxe with the hot tub on the balcony. We have been to PA several times now and have never had a bad room. I actually find the city view more lively and interesting for morning coffee on the balcony than the ocean view.

Room Tip: Here are some views from our 'town view' balcony in response to questions. Hope these help.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jerseymariner
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Thank you very much for your preference and your kind words.

We are glad that you have always enjoyed your different rooms and views as our commitment is to offer memorable stays and unforgettable experiences.

Looking forward to welcoming you back where we will always try to cater for all your needs.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I had a weeks vacation at Privilege Aluxes.We were on the fourth floor with a superior room and a jacuzzi on the balcony overlooking the colorful graveyard(which I loved).Our room was well taken care of cleaned every day while we were at breakfast.Always lots of coffee,instant and perked, creamers, lots of shampoo and conditioner etc.We cant say enough about this wonderful resort.The people at the desk,the cleaning lady the waiters and waitresses they all were wonderful always a smile and Hola every day.There was always lots to eat although not great but good food in the buffet. We enjoyed Cafe Del Mar the best and we spent a lot of time there.The waiters there were always on a dead run never had to wait to long for food or drink and they also served the people in the loungers on the beach and anyone that came of the street..The resort itself is very clean.The pools are crystal clear, and the grounds are very well taken care of as is the beach area.We rented a golf cart one day and went all over the Island to Punta Sur and back.We didn't want to see everything because we definitely want to go back.We also did a lot of walking around to the shops which were plentiful.We even had the honor of taking in christening and first communions at mass on Sunday.The little church was packed with beautifully dressed little children and very proud parents and friends to take this in We loved the ferry ride to Isla and were very excited to get there . It was a wonderful holiday and we hope to go back next year.It truly is a beautiful Island and the beach is the best.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wandalyn

Thank youo for your review and yor kind words.

We are very pleased to know that you had a nice stay with us. We would like to express our sincere thanks on behalf of the employees, your recommendations will improve their motivation to work better day by day.

Looking forward to welcoming you next year to this slice of paradise.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

PA's location is ideal as it is on the best beach on the island, walking distance to downtown shops and restaurants and the ferry. There was construction at the ferry terminal and the roads/sidewalks are a little congested so walking it with all your luggage can get tricky. If I had to do over again, would have opted for a taxi. I found PA on LivingSocial and purchased for my husband and I for a much needed mini-vacay but he was unable to take time off and asked my sister in his place. This resort is really best for couples although we did see a few families and they are kid-friendly. Knew there were limited activities when purchased but initially I just wanted to lounge pool/beachside and rest and if that is what you are looking for this resort is perfect! I knew all along I wanted to upgrade to a jacuzzi or pool suite so was unhappy at not having that option. The hot tub poolside and behind spa were always cold and the two behind spa while private were very very dimly lit. Romantic, but not conducive to reading while bubbling. The property gets very dark and quiet as soon as the sun sets but the music on beach was very nice. Liked seeing the security on beach in evening, very safe feeling.
My sister and I would definatly be considered "foodies" and we were very happy with the dining selections. Given the limitations the resort must have with being located on such a small island, we were impressed with the variety of options. There were always light and fresh options along with traditional Mexican cuisine. Satay was our least favorite option, sabor was great for breakfast/lunch and cafe del mar was our favorite. We loved dining on the beach, great views. Edgardo's habanero margaritas were delicious and unexpected treat for two veteran bartenders and he and his staff were top-notch. If I lived on Isla I would eat lunch here daily! The times we lounged poolside we had to get up to go to pool bar when it was open(hit or miss)or bring beers from our room. We occasionally saw other pool guests get waited on but no one ever approached our lounge chairs or beds. Could use improvement there but that's about the worst I can say about property. Other complaint was that was a little confusing weather bars were actually open or not and hours for restaurants. A pamphlet in room explaining options would be helpful. The other real standout was spa staff. Part of our package included a couples massage and the spa manager really listened to our concerns. For a small upgrade our massages were amazing and we left the spa feeling like we were truly on vacation. Really regret not having enough time to indulge in the 90 minute holistic massage! Next time.
Review has gone on long enough so I will end by saying that PA is a lovely resort, seems to be among the best and newest on the island. The property is very clean and safe. Enjoyed enough that I plan to return with my husband in April for our eight anniversary. This time I will take others advise and try to email ahead of time with room requests for a platinum, honeymoon or presidential suite.

Room Tip: Try to guarantee your room ahead of time instead of waiting until arrival if you have your heart set...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank adrian t
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you very much for your comments and observations that help us to improve our guest satisfaction and quality service. We want to do everything in our power to satisfy all guests so your words are really hepful.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed enough your stay that you plan to return for your eight anniversary.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in April to celebrate such a special ocasion!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was a great location. We were really close to Hidalgo Street where we did mot of of our dinners because we were not overly impressed with the food at the hotel. The food on Hidalgo street was a great price too so I didn't feel bad eating out. The hotel was good for All inclusive drinks though during the day and breakfast and lunch. Rent a golf cart. That was the highlight of our trip! That was so much fun. Hotel rooms were smaller than I thought, but you don't need that much room anyways. We overlooked the school so it was incredibly loud in the morning. Try to stay away from that if you want to sleep in. I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the school side if you want to sleep in
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica H
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Thank you for choosing us as your travel destination.
We very much appreciate your opinion regarding your stay at Privilege Aluxes.
It is important that we keep growing to do our best to meet your needs, we assure you that your comments do not go unnoticed.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed at PA bed & breakfast with a girlfriend in March 2013 - room was clean but had a little sewage smell in the bathroom, our room was on the 1st floor by the lobby, although I requested a higher floor. Breakfast was wonderful!! Beach is across a small street which OK, but what I love the most of this hotel is the location, which is walking distance to every single shop and restaurant - Qubano for authentic Cuban food and best mojito!; met the owner too! Across Qubano is Angelo's - their old school baked bread with olive oil/dipping sauce made us go back!!! Delish fresh seafood!

This hotel is also walking distance to the most beautiful and calm water North Beach; snorkel off beach from Avalon Reef hotel and you will see plenty of fish where the water is chest high and fishies come to you, fish everywhere in ankle high water!!! I Love North Beach! Rent a golf cart all day and see the South side of Isla Mujeres!! Already planning my next trip!!

¡Feliz y Prosperous Año Nuevo!

Room Tip: Higher floor is probably better...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kenkoy

Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor, we really appreciate your feedback.
We were glad to see you enjoyed breakfast and found it wonderful, we would agree we are in a fantastic location to enjoy the best beach and local life on Isla including shops, restaurants, night life and activities like snorkeling.

We are delighted to read that you are already planning your next trip and we look forward to it!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

It might be less expensive at another hotel, eating elsewhere or renting chairs on the beach but it was nice to have it all. Did the all inclusive. Had drinks and food when wanted. Didn't have to pay extra to have a lounge chair in the sand. Has a small work out room. Nice pools. Great service. Big clean rooms. Once here looked at other locations for future options, but think this was the best choice.

Room Tip: I always ask for an ocean view and balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sari T
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

We really appreciate when one of our guests spend some minutes letting know their good experiences in our property to the TripAdvisor readers.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoy your stay.
Thank you very much for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

So, I went to Isla Mujeres with my girlfriend and her family during Christmas break. Overall, it was a decent vacation because I got to spend time with great people. I only had two issues with hotel.

I just wish the hotel room were a bit cleaner, I found these little bugs on the counter top and bed (not bed bugs). I would have asked to move to another room but this was our second room already and they said that they were already at full capacity (think it was a white lie).

Second reason, the food needs to improve. Three restaurants in the resort and the best one is the cafe which is outdoors and right on the beach. Lunch time menu was the best. I truly enjoyed the food there, fried fish, fried calamari and chicken fingers stood out to me the most. Keep in mind, this was an all inclusive and I promise I tried about 90% of the things on the menu. I'm also not a picky eater and I welcome all sorts of food to my belly.

Sabor (restaurant within the resort) is an American buffet, nothing special here EXCEPT Christmas evening which they had a steak station where you go and pick your own cut of meat. So, you pick and they grill it right in front of you. Warning, these steaks were quarter inch thick.

Last restaurant, Satay (Asian), if you are familiar with Asian foods you will be disappointed and if you are Asian you will definitely be disappointed (hint: I'm Asian). Only thing I can recommend from this place was the dumpling, pork spring roll and deserts were okay. Biggest thing they need to improve here is the sushi section.

As for the beach, water was clear and temperature was good but couldn't swim out because there were nets closing off the water but not a big deal. The staff were kind and pleasant and always willing to help. Beach was not crowded which was nice, always can find a beach chair for the 5 of us. Also, something to keep in mind, the all inclusive does not provide transportation to and from airport!!!

Overall, I had a good time. Warm weather and quality time with the people I care about. This is a low key place and pretty quiet, if you like that sort of thing, this place is it. Would I come back... If they improve the quality of the food, I probably would come back.

Room Tip: Top floor have this water running noise through the whole night, I heard it the first two nights. Al...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jun_Ya11

We are disappointed to learn that our restaurants did not meet your expectations, we are taking your comments into consideration in order to improve the product that we offer.
We are glad that overall, you had a good time and you enjoyed with your family in warm and relaxed atmosphere.