“Hit and Miss - Be Aware of Ferry Schedule vs. Flight Times”
Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed at the Privilege Aluxes from Nov 5th - Nov 12th. Upon arrival, we learned that the ferry off of the island (back to Cancun) does not run between 12:00am - 5:30am. We had a 7:00am return flight to catch back to the U.S. and there wouldn't be enough time to make it by leaving on the first ferry out (5:30am). So we had to leave a night early and book a cheap hotel in Cancun near the airport. The hotel would not refund us for that lost last night. Jesus at the front desk helped us (at least tried to) book that hotel room (Comfort Inn) in Cancun, but unfortunately we found out when we got there it was for 2 weeks later, and not that night. Luckily they had an empty room for us anyway.

I must say, that the hotel and the property it is located on is among one of the cleanest on the island. We did a lot of exploring on our trip, and a good 80% of the island just seems to be in ruins. We stayed in building 2 on the 3rd floor (really the 4th) in a deluxe ocean view suite. It had beautiful views looking over the pool/ocean. It was very spacious, with a seperate living room and kitchen.

Here is a basic list of pros and cons:

Pros:

1. Staff is friendly & helpful. A big shout out goes to Rosa who was our maid. She cleaned our room daily like a pro and attended to all of our needs.

2. Peacful. The hotel is quiet for the most part. I never heard my neighbors talking or watching tv. Only on one night did I hear some banging around above me.

3. Hotel grounds & atmosphere is superb. The staff is constantly cleaning, trimming the greens, painting, sweeping, etc. The beach is gorgeous!

4. Safe - The hotel is constantly patrolled by hotel security. We came back to the room one night, and the door did not shut behind us. About 5 minutes later we kept hearing a security guard outside speaking in spanish on his walkie-talkie. I got up and noticed my front door was open and closed it. Five minutes after that the front desk was calling me to tell me that my front door was open. Very nice.

5. Hidden Jacuzzi's - there are 2 behind the pool area, near the spa and the gym. We went in these almost every day. They were almost always empty... I heard one guy walk by and say "I've stayed here 6 different times and never knew these were here." Great place to get away from everyone and relax.

Cons:

1. Hot water is spotty. I took a few ice cold showers, and on more than one occassion when we went to use the outdoor jacuzzi, the water was luke warm at best.

2. Smelly rooms. I'm not sure exactly what we were smelling in our room. At times it smelled like raw sewage. Other times it had a very musky, damp smell. The hotel is obvioulsy aware of this since your room will come equipped with incense to burn. Could it have something to do with the graveyard next door? (We did take a tour of the graveyard by the way, where all of the bodies are buried above ground, and my wife and I both smelled a strong sense of rotting corpses).

3. Wifi isn't the greatest. I've read worse reviews on trip advisor about not having wifi at all. Our room was pretty good... but the connection did slow to a crawl at times.

4. Bed is hard as a rock. The pillows are even worse, and the sheets are like wrapping yourself in cardboard.

5. Alcoholic drinks at the hotel bar(s) are watered down and have no flare. There is a great little bar on the beach, right next door on the other side of the rope which divides the property. The drinks are cheap and they put big pieces of fruit with umbrellas, etc... on the glasses which just makes you feel tropical. They have these little swings you can sit on at the bar. The only issue is that they close at 5pm... and be careful bringing the drinks back to your side of the beach... the hotel has signs hanging up that says they frown upon you bringing in outside food/drinks (but what are they really gonna do???)

Suggestions:

1. Avoid booking day trips through the hotel. Guillermo is the only person in charge of this and he messed up pretty bad with the one day trip we booked. We wanted to go to Isla Contoy which is a nature preserve about 45 min away by boat. We left a deposit with him the day before and were told to be at the front desk by 8:00am. He said he comes in at 7:00am and he would 100% be there. We arrive at the front desk around 7:50am the next morning... No Guillermo. We wait 40 minutes and this guy still doesn't show up. We also never received a reciept to even prove we had left a deposit the day before. It's our last full day on the island, and the boats going there are very limited, leaving only early in the morning. Guillermo had promissed us he could get us on a larger boat that went directly to the island (We wanted the larger boat because my wife gets very sea sick). So after waiting around forever, we decided to run down by the ferry where we were just able to jump on a small boat heading out to the island for $30 cheaper then what the hotel was going to charge us. Unfortunately, this boat rocked around so much that my wife got really sea sick. They also stopped in the middle of the ocean to go snorkeling which my wife and I didn't want. We both got really sick at that point. After the trip, and back to the hotel we confronted Guillermo. He said he had been running all over the island trying to find a boat for us that morning. Yeah... ok. We got our deposit back, and Guillermo promised us champagne and fruit with chocolate to be delivered to our room for our troubles. We waited for it but it never showed up. After asking for it a 2nd time, he came through and I must say, it was thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you for that Guillermo!

2. Don't go all-inclusive. We had just the breakfast option which was more then enough. We filled up each morning enough to skip lunch... and then would go pig out at the local restaurants for dinner. The local food on the island is increddible. We didn't have a bad meal the entire time. Hidalgo street is 1 block away and you will find some incredible dishes there. Try Faynes, Ronaldis, Lola Valentina, Oliva and for a quick bite - Don Cheppo's. All-inclusive option in my mind is just not worth it. If you really want to do the all-inclusive, or at least try it when you get there, you have that option. They told us it would be $80 a day for our room, and if we wanted to upgrade we could at anytime, but it would have to be for the remainder of our trip... like the last 2 days, or last 3 days, etc...

3. The island is completley safe. I was a little paranoid going to Mexico due to all the stuff you hear on the news. Not once did I ever feel unsafe on this island. Rent a moped for 2 and go explore! It's almost half the price of a golf cart. Get it for 24 hours. Most places want $400 pesos, you can talk them down to $350 pesos easily. They hold your drivers liscense until you bring it back. Don't worry about it... it's safe. We rented from 2 different places without any issues. Drive it over to the southern end of the island and check out Punta Sur. Some of the greatest views you will ever witness.

4. If you're seeking a massage, there are people on the beach that will do a great job for 1/3 the price that people at the hotel will do it for.

Room Tip: Go for the honeymoon / deluxe rooms that have a hot tub on the balcony. Make sure to request a highe...
5  Thank Mitch V
There are newer reviews for Privilege Aluxes

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This was our 17th time to visit Privilege Aluxes in Isla Mujeres. We were treated very special beginning with the helpful front desk staff (Jesus). This atmosphere continues throughout the entire hotel thanks to Maria overseeing all areas. We especially loved the Satay Restaurant, Hector is the best and the food was delicious. We did the all-inclusive this time but sometimes we do the bed and breakfast. Speaking of breakfast Hosea really knows how to make a "mean omelette". He is very friendly as are all the staff. The restaurant at the beach Cafe del Mar's food is delicious and the right portions for lunch. Jorge, Edwardo and Miguel were especially helpful every day. The beach and pool are well kept, we definitely will return probably in the spring.

Room Tip: We always pay the extra for the deluxe suite. Especially like building 6 but all are good.
2  Thank Inas H
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your comments, we really appreciate it and it was a pleasure to read your review.
It is very flattering to read from loyal guests as you are, we are very thankful for your preference and your trust.
We hope that Privilege Aluxes will always be your home away home because for us it is a pleasure to see you and we feel honored everytime we welcome you back.

Looking forward to Spring!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We recently spent a week at the Privilege Aluxes. It was a great vacation. Our first room wasn't the greatest but when they had another one open up they moved us and that one was very nice. The staff was amazing and we were well taken care of. We'd especially like to mention Reyes...he went out of his way to make our stay the best it could be. Thank you Reyes.

Also, the beach service was excellent!! All the servers were absolutely top notch and it made our vacation so much more relaxing.

Good food, nice accommodations, wonderful beach, fun little island, and GREAT service. We will most certainly be back. Thank you!

Room Tip: It was worth it to get a room with a jacuzzi on the deck.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review for us, we really value your feedback.
We are delighted to see you mention the food, accommodations, beach and our great customer service, we will forward your compliments to our staff.

It was a great pleasure for us to welcome you at Privilege and we look forward to the next time!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We were here October 19-26th. We have been to the island 3 other times for day trips. This was our first time staying here. It was an easy ferry ride over and we rented rickshaws to bring our luggage to the hotel. Check in was a little busy but they brought us cold towels and a welcome drink while we waited. We booked room 626 which was a platinum suite. It over looked the rotary and the ocean. Loved it! The only down fall was I couldn't connect to the internet in our room. The food was good. Isla Mujeres Night at the buffet was my favorite. Satay was good and Cafe Del Mar was too. The coconut ice cream is the best!
Service was touch and go at the beach and the pool. Some days they were quick and efficient other days it was very slow. Mind you we are very good tippers and we always tip big in the beginning of the day and then more through out the day. The beach is beautiful but there was always trash in the sand, like limes, straws, butts and condiment packages.
The girls all went for massages one day which were very nice and the price was affordable. I paid $55 for a 50 minute message. They run specials everyday.
I wish there was a place you could hang out outside out of the rain. It rained the last day and we were stuck in our room. They have a nice area outside the buffet with a bar but its not sheltered. :-(
We rented a golf cart and went to Punta Sur, Soggy Peso and the Turtle Farm one day which was fun. My husband and cousin went deep sea fishing another day. They didn't catch much! LOL I went to Nabalm and took a yoga class which was awesome. So different to the gym yoga I'm used too. My cousins girlfriend and I went Paddle Boarding down by the Fenix while the guys snorkeled under the bridge and by the reef that was near there.
We went during off season so the night life was a little quiet for us but that was ok for me because I was totally relaxed coming home from this trip.
Make sure you go bar hopping! I made sure we visited the top 6 bars according to trip advisor!
Just beware there are a lot of stray animals on the island.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Medegrie

Thank you for posting a review and taking the time to share your experiences, we will take your comments into consideration in order to improve our work.

We are glad to inform that the wi-fi signal will be improved soon and we are already planning an option for rainy days to offer to our guests.
We are glad that overall you had a pleasant and relaxing stay and we would love to welcome you back again.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Felt like a movie star. Drinks are handed to you at checkin, staff are very friendly and the grounds are beautiful. Would recommend the all inclusive pricing but do travel out into the town. We always felt very safe on the island.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank SBCgrad14

Sincerely thanks for your kind words.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Privilege Aluxes and felt special as our valued guest are the main objective so we are delighted to read your mention.

We hope you visit us again and we also hope that your next stay with us will always be as pleasant as this one.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed here in Nov for a week to celebrate my husband's birthday. The hotel is modern and quite lovely, although there are signs that maintenance is not quite up to par.

We had a standard room and overlooked the lighthouse and had views over elementary school and out to the water. The school children can be very noisy on weekdays and they start very early, presumably to avoid the heat later in the day. I generally like the sound of children playing but several times we heard the teacher talking on a megaphone as well. Very loud and very annoying. We asked to be moved and a couple of days later we were given the option to do so. We didn't bother as we are early risers anyway, but it is something to consider if you are a late sleeper. The room we were offered overlooked the cemetery, which is really spectacular, a riot of colour and well worth a look. Staff seemed to think this would be a problem for us, but not for me. And at least you'd be assured of quiet neighbours...

The hotel advertises accessible rooms but this is not true. The public areas and restaurants are generally accessible for someone in a wheelchair, but the pool area is not. There was an elevator up to our room and there was room to move around the bed, but the bathroom was not accessible at all, nor was the shower. My husband is pretty flexible and we asked for a plastic chair for the shower, and he was able to manage fine using his crutches. However, i don't think they should advertise the hotel as accessible because it really is not. Also the elevator was closed for maintenance one day and we had to wait 3 hours before we could get to our room.

The location is great, right near the town, which is a lot of fun to wander around in. We did not have the all-inclusive option as we find buffets are usually pretty bland and disappointing, and this one was no exception. Having the breakfast only option worked well for us and we found no shortage of great spots to dine each evening.

The beach and water and pool is really beautiful, and there was never any shortage of lounge chairs by the beach or pool.

On the whole staff were very helpful and accommodating and we were very happy overall with the service. For some reason they ask you to sign for everything meal/drink you purchase, even when there is no charge. I can understand it if there is a charge but wasn't sure why we had to sign the bills for $00. We found we were forever waiting for someone to come along with the bill. There must be an easier way.

I heard others complain that there is no wifi in all the rooms but we had no problem with that at all.

The mattresses are very firm, bordering on hard, so beware of that. My husband's back bothered him a bit by the end of the trip.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street and the elementary school are very noisy on weekdays, and they start ea...
3  Thank Jamuca

First of all, we thank you for your time making these valuable comments which are the best assistance in our daily improvement to get the highest standards.

We are sorry for the inconveniences regarding the accessibility, at Privilege we do not advertise the hotel as accessible as we know that not all the areas are, we are checking with the third parties companies we work with that they have the correct information.
With reference to the fact of signing the bills this is due to our different plans (All Inclusive or Bed & Breakfast) and allow us to have an internal control.
It is great that you liked our location, beach and pools an we are glad that you found the staff very helpful and accommodating.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed again at Privilege Aluxes, for the fifth time, and had another wonderful stay. The rooms were clean and maintained well each day. The front desk was very helpful and we were particularly thankful for Adrian's unconditional help during our stay. Edguardo's attention each morning at our Breakfast buffet made it an enjoyable time each day. A perfect location on the island with a short walk to all the very fine restaurants near by.

1  Thank Mark D
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

We are so grateful for your preference and for sharing your good comments.

As you know Privilege Aluxes seeks to provide experiences and services based on criteria of excellence and we are delighted to read that you had another wonderful stay!

We will always be at your disposal and we hope to see you soon in this wonderful destination for the 6th time!