“Awesome Return Visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
staten island, ny
“Awesome Return Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Return visit from 9/27 - 10/4 and this time we were a group of 22 family/friends. First trip in 2012 we were 9. Cannot say enough about this property--the rooms, staff, grounds, restaurants all wonderful. Special shout outs to Raoul, Pedro, Eguardo, Jamie, Angel, Roz and others who made 18 New Yorkers and 4 Californians have a very special time. Will return again!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to suite deluxe or suite premium
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary L
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
We are pleased to greet you and at the same time we would like to convey our gratitude for your preference and your contribution with your comments.

At Privilege Aluxes Hotel, we know that loyal customers are largely responsible for our success and we are grateful to you.

We remain at your disposal and we hope to see you soon at your home in Isla!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Hebrew first
Baytown, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We spent a week at Privilege and it was much better than we expected! After reading reviews I was a little skeptical, However as soon as we arrived That was all gone! I do recommend that you get a deluxe suite, The upgrade is well worth the money. At check-in Adrian was there with a cold drink and we then requested a room with a pool or ocean view! He was so VERY helpful and our room was perfect. On the 4th floor with view of the pool! Beach was wonderful with the staff making sure while you are relaxing in the sun you wanted for nothing. I highly recommend the Shrimp Cocktail on the beach! Also the Bloody Mary's are wonderful! Food was great. We did walk into town one evening for dinner which was great and VERY safe! The pool bar was also excellent! If you the bartenders your service will be excellent not to say it isn't if you don't, But one evening we had been there all day and tipped them often, the next day we didn't have to ask for a drink they knew exactly what we wanted! Even got doubles without requesting them! I highly recommend this resort! We went the first week in September! No children and no drunken young adults or teens to deal with like on the mainland!!! WILL GO BACK! Get your Golf car from the front desk, they will have it brought to the front and you just park it outside for as long as you want to keep it. Only cost about $2 more than if you walk into town to get one but you have to take it back to them. The convenience was priceless!!!!

Room Tip: Get a Deluxe Suite! When you arrive ask the person that is checking you in for a room on the 3rd fl...
2 Thank Delynn C
Thank you for your time letting TripAdvisor readers know about your stay at Privilege.

We are happy that we exceed your expectations getting the best service provided by our staff and also enjoying the food and the gorgeous beach where we are located.

We would love to have the opportunity to give you more relaxing moments with your special one!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I recently had the "privilege" to spend a week in Isla Mujeres with my family. Although admittedly hesitant at first--fearing that Privilege would be just like any other all-inclusive throughout Mexico--I was absolutely blown away by the hotel, the service, and the beauty of Isla.

The hotel has an excellent setup between the pools and the beach. It is very easy to hop between the two. The pool is large, warm, and has a great swim-up bar. Drinks at the pool bar were a little strong...but in a very good way. The rooms are modern and reflect the laid back surroundings. Our room had a hot tub on the balcony, which we enjoyed during brief evening showers. We even had some rum punch delivered to our room during the storm!

Food is excellent. I'm not a "foodie" by any means, but consider myself fairly knowledgeable on decent and diverse eats. Even the breakfast buffet at Sabor was on point. The daily offerings ranged from local flavors to made-to-order omelettes, antipasto bars, loads of fruit, and some delicious green juice made partially from cactus. Café del Mar became our nightly gathering spot. We ate in town a couple nights, but found ourselves wanting to try new things and eat our favorite dishes at the Café. The weekly special dessert of mango crème was so good that I got it every night and had two of them our last night! Unfortunately, we never tried Satay, but the offerings looked great.

Spa offerings are plentiful and the services are excellent. There is a special that changes daily, ranging from 20% off all services to lowered prices on specific services. I took advantage of one for an aromatherapy massage and they ended up giving my sister's massage at the same price. Rosanna at the spa is super friendly and willing to give that extra special touch. My sister and I purchased a surprise couple's massage for my parents, and Rosanna helped us keep it secret and even created us a special certificate to present to them.

Although everything was amazing, the best part of Privilege is the service. From check-in to check-out, Privilege is full of people who work from their heart and go above and beyond to make guests feel at home. A special shout-out to the crew at Café Del Mar who made everyday on the beach and nights in the café a truly unique and fun experience. Marcos, Enrique, Jorge, Raul and others made us feel more like friends than guests.

The favorite memory of our trip could not have happened without the staff at Privilege. In honor of my parents' 29th anniversary, my father "proposed" to my mother again and surprised her with a vow renewal ceremony on the beach. We celebrated the special occasion with a private dinner on the beach, complete with a five-course, five-star menu, and five-star service. Elba did wonderful work helping us keep the plan a secret and coordinate the dinner prior to arriving in Isla. Guillermo was instrumental in the execution of the proposal and our dinner, even surprising us with rose petals and flowers all over my parents' suite. A big thank you to Jaime for running out last minute to pick up our forgotten boutonniere. The best part of the night involved our server at the private dinner, Sergio. While the food, view, and company was amazing, Sergio added a special touch to the night with his big personality and kind heart. From start to finish, Privilege helped create a memory for our family that ranks as one of the best in our lives.

If I could recommend Privilege for ten stars, I would. There is honestly not much that to improve upon at this resort. I only wish the menu changed more often at Café Del Mar so we could enjoy more of the chefs' wonderful creations. I also highly suggest taking a yoga class on the beach with Carolina. Not only is it a calming experience and great start to a day in Isla, Carolina is a wonderful instructor who adjusts her classes to the various knowledge levels of her students.

Thank you again to everyone at Privilege for such a magical, enchanted, unbelievable experience. Our family is already planning and plotting ways to spend that just one week on the island at Privilege in 2014!

Room Tip: My mom was able to score upgrades for each of our rooms' prior to our arrival. Upon check-in, my...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Natasha D
Thank you very much for your review that was so flattering to read.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the laid back atmosphere at Privilege Aluxes and you received the best service from our team, we will forward your congratulations.
It is particularly fantastic that the vow renewal was a magical and enchanted moment and the whole time of your stay was an unbelievable experience.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!
Irving, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

My vacation was a duration of 5 days. It was raining when I landed on the island, so we had to stay all day at the hotel. But the weather got tropical the next 4 days. The hotel was very nice, We had a very nice experience. The location was great right in the middle of the town. You could walk to restaurants and the town. The rooms were nice and clean. All of the staff were nice. Food was excellent, Cafe del mar - was our favorite restaurant where we can sit on a beachfront had have dinner and drinks. Sabor - best place to have your breakfast. Satay - we could only reserve for one evening and food was great too. Staff was very friendly. They have took really good care of us and decorated my room on my wife's B-day (which was a surprise). I would sure recommend this hotel for someone who wants to have there vacation in a nice and calm place.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amr0321
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
We thank you for choosing us as your holiday destination and for posting your kinds comments.
It is very encouraging to know that you enjoy the whole experience at Privilege Aluxes.

We really appreciate your recommendations to future travelers.
It will be our pleasure to see you again at this beautiful destination.
Pocono Manor, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Privilege Aluxes, the premier Isla Mujeres

I only stayed at Privilege for one evening as a site visit for a large group travel next year. Unfortunately I think my expectations were higher than they should have been as I felt a little let down. I was in the area for 14 days between Cancun and the island. Have traveled all over Mexico and wanted to check out these two areas. The hotels itself is located in a very convenient area, close to the ferries and across from a beautiful beach and as you know walking distance to many places. Note if you are coming from Cancun and go to the ferry make sure you only buy tickets for the Ultramar…not Mexicano…slow, slow, slow boat. If you go out of Playa Tortugas look for the big bungee jump and go there for tickets, do not fall trap to people trying to lure you to Isla Ferry, Mexican 5 or 8 boats…big mistake I made.
Check in was pretty smooth, note to travelers if you decide to stay here as a side trip to the island, bring your passport. I was staying off the island at another hotel (I had two different hotel rooms booked for the same evening, as I did not want to check out of one and into another then check back in) so my passport was at my other hotel. Luckily Angel at the front desk, who is superb, took my driver’s license instead.

I upgraded to the Grand Platinum Suite room on the 5th floor with the private pool, as well as upgrading to all inclusive. The room was beautiful..on first inspection; however, a few things soon dropped my rating. The mini bar was not filled and when I spoke to the manager on my way out to dinner he said it would be filled in the morning, however, since I was only there one night it would have been nice to have some selections in there for the evening I was staying, which I did mention to him. I also spoke to the manager regarding lots of ants in the upstairs hallway of the penthouse going out towards the pool as well as in the kitchen sink. The ants were taken care of in the hallway but the next morning I had to drown close to a couple hundred ants in the kitchen sink, we did not have any food in the room and fruit was in fridge and we were on the 5th floor did not understand ant problem. In consideration of management we did upgrade at the last second and the room probably had not been inspected, so will chalk issues up to that in the benefit of doubt, but with the cost of the room should have been better maintained.
The view from the room was SPECTACULAR and the layout was wonderful. The only suggestion is that the top floors there is no cover from rain on either balcony, upper or lower, so if it rains you cannot sit on the balcony, would be nice to have some type of coverage as the lower floors have, as it did rain.

Complimentary champagne and chocolates and fruit were brought up which was wonderful..very nice touch, but again a slight slip up as they were going to be delivered by 6:30pm so could enjoy with the sunset in the pool with the champagne, however they were delivered closer to 8:00 when we were heading out to dinner. Still was very lovely and we had them with orange juice in the morning.

Room service; ordered breakfast two orders of French toast and bacon and two orange juices, received two orange juices and only one order of French toast and bacon, no butter or syrup..Again my mistake did not request it just figured it came with french toast, but did request two orders.

Dinner one restaurant had buffet... Asian mostly sushi and the other had mostly Asian on the menu for the evening as well…so across the street we went were we had lunch. Seeing as though it had rained earlier your options may be very limited if it is raining and you did not make reservations at the other indoor restaurant.

The beach…ahhhh wonderful as is the layout of the chairs and tables. Each set of chairs has their own table as well as a hook on the pole to hang items…shirts, hats, etc. Best idea I have seen. The service is a bit slow but that is not an issue, you are there to relax. No vendors harassing you and a cute tiki bar with swings right next door…beer and drink specials too. Some of our friends that crossed to the island with us for the day hung there as Privilege would have charged $20 per seat for them to sit on our side of the rope, of course free to hotel patrons. Seats at that tiki bar are $10 per seat.

Would I go back.. Would like to give them another try as we still had a marvelous time.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
We would like to thank you for reviewing our hotel.

We are glad to read that you found the location to be very convenient right next to the finest beach.We would like to offer you our sincere apologies for the inconveniences with the minibar and the ants in your room, this is an atypical situation as we assure you that we fumigate on a regular basis, it was fixed immediately and we are sorry that you could not stay longer to give us the opportunity to fulfill your expectations.

We take note of all your comments and are already working on it. It is great that you enjoyed you room and the breathtaking views and we would love to see you again and provide you a memorable vacation.
worcester ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

my wife and i just returned from a stay at Privlege Aluxes (PA) that was from Oct 1-7th. this will be a long review so if you just want to read the first few lines this place comes highly recommended.
first a bit about the type of property my wife and I seek out- i read tons of reviews- look at hundreds of sites seeking a deal- and finally when i see a place that is on sale- and i think will fit what we are looking for I pull the trigger- my wife and I are in our late forties- no kids- travel frequently- but we look for a place that is bit more relaxed, as long as it is near water and safe . we don't care for too many drunks- or loud music being blasted in the pool area and staff trying to get you to play pool vollyball. in fact we don't drink and when on vacation i prefer to stay at a place that either has fewer kids running around or none at all. most parents from the US think that their kid is the cutest and since they are on vacation they do not have to watch their little gift to us all run around screaming at the top of their lungs and hitting us with their blow up toy.

so here is the good- the property is stunning- well maintained- the rooms are big- bathrooms are big, all marble. the beach is the best- talcum white sand- nice beach chairs, warm water that you can see your feet six feet down. nice pool . the property is clean- the rooms are clean. no noise from the rooms next to us as the walls are nice and thick. we did the all inclusive even though we don't drink because we were unsure of how many places and their location on the island for us to eat outside of the hotel. i have been to many islands where eating out is very expensive ( think Bemunda) where the cost savings of going to that island is gone by paying for a couple of decent meals. the food at the restaurants is good- not great but certaining there is plenty of things you can find. we ate at the thai restaurant twice- very good. we ate on the beach for lunch a couple of times and again very good. breakfast was good as well. on the beach the staff did a great job of walking thru the sand to ask if you needed a drink or food. you never waited too long and if you needed them they were there. the other great asset was the staff. they were great. in fact the two gals at the front desk orphila and rose did a great job all week telling us where to go- what to see etc. a great staff can make or break a resort and they were tops.

the bad- i only can think of two thigns that keep this resort from being five star. the gym - well there really wasn't one. i saw the picture online of the gym and saw that it has two treadmills and a rack of dumbells. i can manage to get a workout in with a few dumbells as long as they have a few diffrent weights. at the PA the stack of weights ranged from 2 pounds to a whopping 14 pounds. not really going to give me a workout benching 14 pounds. they should invest in a few more weights like up to 50 or 60 pounds. the second comment is the beds- worse bed i have ever slept on. we read in past reviews that the beds are hard and you can request a topper so we did as soon as we got there. it hardly did the effect. my shoulders were actully sore if you slepted on your side the bed was so hard. i found you got up two or three times per night to rearrange . it did give you a reason to nap on the beach becasue you were tired though

couple of other comments- - the resort is close to downtown but very quiet- nice just what i like- but you can walk downtown. downtown is very safe. many restaurants there as well so if you choose not to do the all inclusive you can walk to many options. if you are looking for a party place this is not for you- very quiet at night- again that is the type of place we enjoy. if your looking for a wild night life perhaps you will find downtown but not on the resort. some of the rooms have jaquizzi's on the balcony. not very private however and the lights on the balcony can not be turned on or off . last comment and the reason i'd give this resort a 4.5 rating- beside complaining about the gym and food- the price. we got a smoking cheap deal. for what we paid i really have to rave. if you want a true five star stay there are plenty of places around the world to stay but be prepared to pay for two nights what we paid for our entire stay- plus the all inclusive option. we really only wanted to get away for five days locally but for what it would have cost us to go to Nantucket - we went to PA for six days and that inlcuded food and drink. great deal. now it may be more during the high season but for OCt it was a steal. thanks to all the staff .
last comment- i left tips for each meal even though it was all inclusive. the staff work their tail off and i notice that not all left tips. i'd bring a stack ones and fives and that way you have plenty of small bills to leave. i will be back as long as the price is not jacked up when i would like to retrun in Jan.

Room Tip: try to get a room facing the ocean not the city
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank stevemlok
Thank you for your comments that help us to improve the services that we are offering, your recommendations are the best assistance.

We are glad to get your good opinions about our property, rooms, beach and care provided during your stay by our staff, this is the best prize we can receive.

We would love to welcome you back.
Madison, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was our first trip to Mexico and first trip to an all inclusive resort. This resort is beautiful, relaxing and was a perfect fit for us! First things first- this is a very quiet resort, not a loud, party atmosphere. We loved that about it though! Pros: staff (especially Angel at front desk) were exceptional, the grounds were immaculately groomed, beach was clean and water was an indescribable blue, and the spa was wonderful! Cons: the pool closed at 8pm every night, wifi signal was very weak, the dinner buffet was mediocre at best, the pool deck surface got extremely hot and would burn our feet before we could get back in our shoes, and the pool bar staff were slow making drinks and getting food out. Overall very minor complaints. Biggest complaint would certainly be the food. Cafe Del Mar was great for lunch but changed the menu for dinner, and not for the better. While there, you must rent a golf cart and cruise the island for at least one day. Dolphin Discovery is also a must do. Spend the extra money to do VIP experience there. I'd love to visit Isla Mujeres again some day but may give another resort a try just for a new experience.

Room Tip: It's true that you'll either be looking at the cemetery or the school if you have a superior...
1 Thank Ashley G
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback.
We always try our very best to meet our guests requests as we feel that the little things really make the difference so we really appreciate your comments.

It is great that the staff met your needs and you found the grounds, our beach and the spa to your liking.

We would love to welcome you again to offer an impeccable stay.