“Great Location”

Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Location”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at PA for 10 days at the end of January 2013. This was our first trip to Isla but not our last. We have stayed at many AI resorts before from high end to somewhat lower. We are a middle class couple in mid fifty's.

We loved PA for various reasons, but mostly the westward facing beach and being able to sit and watch the sun set from our loungers. The Suite Deluxe was very large compared to any resort we have stayed in the past. We like having a balcony regardless of the view. I liked have the living room as a place to go that wasn't a bedroom. I could get up in the morning and make coffee without disturbing my wife. Even watch TV if I wanted. The water pressure was great and hot, but really not enough to fill the large jetted tub in the bathroom, typical of most hotels.

The bed was hard as expected and the linens were not a really high quality.

Our bedroom window overlooked the loading dock and old water tanks at the back corner of the cemetery. We really didn't hear much noise from the loading dock or the cemetery. The balcony faced the other direction overlooking the spa area and since we were on the second floor didn't have much view other than palm tree. This made our balcony somewhat private. It would have been nice to have a higher room as requested but understand that not everyone can have those rooms.

We ate most dinners and lunches at Cafe Del Mar and enjoyed almost every meal but eating on the beach was the best. Breakfast at Sabor was fine, I've had better and worse but it suited us just fine. We also had dinner one night at Satay and all enjoyed that meal. I think on our next trip that we would try to explore the island more and eat out a lot more.

We used room service a few times without issue and it came pretty quick. You can also order just coffee if you like.

The beach was always clean, service pretty good but the drinks lacked in quality. You need to ask for your drink to be made with a name brand alcohol. I had some of the worst drinks in my life here, to the point I could not drink one of them and that's not expected of me! This my only complaint with this hotel / resort but would not stop me from going back. I enjoyed the red and white wines with dinner. Coffee at all the restaurants was really good.

The hotels was reportedly full when we were there and never had a problem getting four beach chairs at anytime of the day. Later in the day you would have to move them around but they were there.

We had a few minor issues with the room but didn't let it bother us. The strangest was the toilet would get HOT, this happened a few times during our stay. It seemed to have a tank behind the wall and it kept running and the toilet would get hot. On the last morning my wife went to take a shower and could not get any hot water, I jiggled the toilet button and she immediately got hot water, and the toilet was hot. Strange. We told the front desk as we checked out.

Check in and out went smoothly and all staff was friendly, happy and seemed like one big happy family. They wait staff always seemed to care and make sure you were satisfied with your food.

We would recommend PA to others because of the location near town, the beach, room size and the food. I knocked off a star just for the drink quality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Knothead
PrivFD, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor since your opinion is of great help to us in our efforts to improve and achieve our main objective, which is the full satisfaction of our customers.

We are glad that you enjoyed the unique sunsets in the best location that Isla Mujeres offers.
We hope to see you in the near future at Privilege Aluxes Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Hebrew first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 21, 2013

First, I'd like to make a disclaimer that neither my boyfriend nor I are high maintence travelers. We don't expect to be treated like Royalty, we just like to get what we pay for. We don't try and find the worst in situations, but there were too many mistakes at this resort not to complain.

My guess is that because we bought an all-inclusive package (and upgraded to the black wristband that got us "premium" liquor) the management must assume that you already paid and they don't need to satisfy the customers.

The most glaring problem at this hotel is the service, or better put, LACK of service. The front desk was basically clueless on any questions. They never had change for cash (bring small bills). It took close to an hour and a half for us to get dinner through room service on our first night.

Pros:
-Our room was great. We got the Suite Deluxe with Ocean View. The living room faces the beach, while the bedroom faces a cemetary. Believe it or not, the cemetery was not creepy at all and the view was actually nice. Our bathroom was a very good size and had a great layout with shower and tub. We went with 2 other couples and their rooms were not as nice as ours and they had the Platinum suite with plunge pool. DO NOT BOOK THE PLATINUM SUITE. The plunge pool is not worth it (not private at all). The bathroom in the their suite was considerably smaller than ours and the room was not worth the extra cost.
-The grounds were well kept and beautifully lush.
-Nice pool area with swim up bar (Ponce the bartender was the only one that gave good service)
-Great access to the beach and plenty of chairs
-Lunch at the beach restaurant was better than any buffet option
-Drinks are made strong

Cons:
-LACK OF SERVICE.
-Also, be sure to bring a lot of small bills because every where you turn you are expected to tip. This might make me sound cheap, but I don't like feeling obligated to tip every single person that touches my bag or to have to tip the bartender EVERY time we get a drink, especially when we tipped well ($20) on the first day. If the service was better, we wouldn't mind tipping.
-Be prepared to be stalked if you don't sign your check with your room number EVEN THOUGH IT'S AN ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT. We had a waiter come to our friend's room just to sign a tab for a few drinks...I'm assuming this is so they can get tipped again.

It's unfortunate because the resort itself is pretty nice without the staff getting involved.

Room Tip: Deluxe Suite is better than Platinum. Plunge pools and "private" hot tubs (there are at le...
4 Thank MalPal10
PrivilegeIslaMujeres, Quality Control at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear traveler, We would like to thank you for your extensive review. We thank you for your remarks and suggestions that will be of great assistance to improve our service. At Privilege we offer guests the option to do all inclusive or book a room with breakfast instead, we only ask our All inclusive guests to sign for their consumptions. We apologize if this may cause you trouble. Thanks again for sharing with the travel community.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Ahhh Mexico….the center of the universe of all inclusive. Experienced travelers know that all inclusive can range from awful to opulent. Mexico in general does a fantastic job of hiding a bad resort behind grand furnishings and buildings. Just about every resort in the Cancun area is covered in marble, has a huge hot tub in the room and looks like a million bucks. The truth of “all inclusive” is in the details. Is it really clean? Is the food good? The drinks stiff? The AC and plumbing working properly? The staff warm and accommodating?
Privileges Aluxes is on the Island of Isla Mujeres (IM). It’s a little island a 30 minute ferry ride from Cancun. The Island itself has a small main downtown area that is all easily walkable from the ferry. Its very safe and populated by about as many snow bird Canadians and Americans as it is locals. Many restaurants and hotels are owned by folks who decided to move to Mexico for retirement. The influence of these folks is noticeable in the quality of restaurants, hotels and such. Its both touristy but funky in a cool way. Think yoga studios and a great New York Deli type restaurant next to the typical cheapo stores full of sombreros. Food is safe, tastes and looks just like stuff you can get at home. Service can be a mess but as the locals say “its Mexico”. If you want quiet and subdued go to the big all inclusive resorts south of Cancun, if you want busy, crowded streets full of mopeds, golf carts, music and commerce, IM is the place.
Most of the IM hotels are smaller and grubbier than those in Cancun. There are very few large hotels on Isla. Privileges is the only all inclusive, fancier hotel in downtown Isla. It is an oasis of manicured gardens and lawn, modern clean buildings in what is otherwise a cute but shabby typical Mexican town. Its literally on the corner of the beach and the downtown. You could not be more centrally located. About 25 great bars and restaurants are within a two minute walk of the Privileges lobby.
The hotel is 5 stories in an L shape around a pool facing the ocean. Most rooms face the ocean and beach which sits just a few steps beyond the pool. The rooms on the rear of the hotel look over a cemetery, a school and the downtown area. It’s a small cemetery of crowded brightly painted tombs and the area is shabby looking. If you care even a tiny bit about your view then pay for and insist on the ocean side.
We were in a larger suite on the third floor of the second building with a pool and ocean view. The suite was huge! All marble and modern and very clean. It was almost too modern and lacked a bit of personality. All the walls were bare except for one picture in the living room…Spartan Modernity.
The kitchen had a small fridge and a hotplate and TONS of cabinet space. A bar separates it that four adults could sit and eat at. No dishes or any pots to cook with, so if you were to use the kitchen, bring your own. It felt like the kitchen was designed for moving in type living..not for a few nights of a hotel. The living room had leather couches and a large ottoman around a big coffee table. A flat panel TV got lots of stations in Spanish but some in English with subtitles. The deck was huge with a big hot tub outside the bedroom sliding glass door. The drapes were thick and the room cool. The drapes did a good job of keeping out the light and the noise of the late night partiers in the hot tub. The room was very big, clean and modern. I thought if I had brought my kids I would have been very pleased because of the size and closet space. Tons of cabinet and closet space. The bathroom modern and clean. Our shower head fell off but they fixed it while we were gone at the beach the same day it broke. It’s the Caribbean ocean and so like ALL hotels in Mexico it can get a little island smell. They provide incense which fixed that issue and I liked the smell.
The rooms are good….the pools and beach were excellent! Spotless, modern with dark teak wood, tons of day beds, hammocks, A small but pristine swim up bar, hot tub and a second pool designed in a cool way to look hip and modern but provided a shallow kid friendly area. Walk 10 feet and you are on more dark teak walkways to the beach. Thatched umbrellas were plenty and the beach is private and roped off with security guards visible. Next to the Privileges section of beach is the public beach. On one side is a big loud bar that plays music all day. We sat next to the louder side to people watch and the music wasn’t so bad that I didn’t enjoy a perfect siesta in the afternoon. I wondered how their drinks cost in comparison. There are tons of people walking and selling stuff but the guards and ropes keep them away. The beach is pristine white and no rocks. The water perfect blue. I like people watching so it was fun to lay there and watch the parade go by all while being in my own quiet, clean and guarded section. The waiters worked hard and it was easy to get drinks and snacks.
I did not do the all inclusive option and bluntly, I was glad. There are so many great restaurants literally 25 steps away…I like the variety. The breakfast is included and was good every day. A lot of local and heavily Mexican choices but you could always get eggs, pancakes and typical stuff if you aren’t adventurous. We ate snacks and lunch items on the beach from the Privileges restaurant and we drank…a lot…but we found our bills were totally reasonable just ordering off the menu. I think the town has so many options and since Privileges is just one restaurant I think all inclusive is silly. We spent roughly fifty bucks a night indulging on lobster almost nightly along with tons of drinks and apps etc. Prices in IM are very, very reasonable.
On our last night due to a snafu with our reservation (caused a lot by my own actions), we were upgraded to the premium penthouse suite. Right on the ocean, two stories of hotel room with two bathrooms (one of which had an indoor/outdoor shower). A huge private deck with couches and lounges (think music video party suite) and an infinity pool of our OWN looking over the ocean. Since I am not a celebrity hip hop artist with my entourage, I opted for ordering two bottles of red wine, plugging in my Ipod to some jazz and watching the sunset with my boyfriend and parents…It was utterly awesome from the edge of the infinity pool balcony.

This place is not the Ritz Carlton but nothing in IM is. Even so, I had been at a 5 star diamond resort just days earlier and to me this was quite good in a different way. Completely worth the money! A fun, energetic and classy resort!

Room Tip: Get the mac daddy premium suite if you are a group...you will be amazed! Avoid the backside if you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank travelsharkali
First of all thank you for choosing Privilege Aluxes as your travel destination and for your ample description of the island and the hotel.

The consistent feedback we get from you help us to progress in our daily work.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We just returned from The Privilege Aluxes in Isla Mujeres, our all inclusive experience was fantastic! The entire property is beautiful, especially the beach! The rooms were spacious and the bathroom huge! The staff were all friendly and very helpful. The wait staff were super, especially the guys working at the Cafe Del Mar. We booked a deluxe ocean view suite and were not disappointed, we had a beautiful view of the ocean and pool area. The buffets while not excellent were a good value. The food at Cafe Del Mar was very good. The Aluxes is in town, so it is close to shopping and other places to eat if you wish to explore the local fare. If you want to experience Mexico, stay away from commercialized Cancun and head to Isla Mujeres and The Privilege Aluxes you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Anything with an ocean view, if not, you may overlook the island cemetery.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
PAluxes, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
We thank you for your comments and we are glad that you find a fantastic experience with us and that the property, location and staff were to your liking.

We look forward to providing you with the best of our attention and service excellence.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was the third time we have visited Privilege Aluxes in nine months. We can't say enough about this hotel. As you can tell, we just love this place. Each time we have gone the employees have gone way beyond what we could have ever expected. We were there during the first week in March. We requested a room with a view. We had booked a Suite Deluxe for our stay but when we arrived we were shown our room. Premier Suite Deluxe on the 5th floor with a jacuzzi on the balcony. You talk about a view..Incredible. All we can say is a big thank you to whoever made this happen. We chose the AI plan, and we were not disappointed. We were able to purchase the AI plan very reaonably, so it was a no brainer for us not to purchase it. We are planning another trip before the end of the year and you can be sure we will be returning to the PA once again. Cafe del Mar on the beach - wonderful, Service - impeccable, Beach - unparalled, View - out of this world. We can't wait until we can reture, believe me it won't be long. Thank you PA for another unforgetable vacation.

Room Tip: The suites have better views on a higher floor. Last year had 625 - Near beach and wonderful view...
3 Thank Shamro1958
PrivFD, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thanks always to you for your preference.
It is so flattering to read about experiences like yours. Thank you for giving Privilege Aluxes the chance to offer you such a wonderful experience.

The Privilege Aluxes team will be waiting for your fourth visit!
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I loved it so much, I got married there! It is truly a hidden jewel. everyone that came to out wedding fell in love too! Isla Mujeres is my favorite place in the world and Priviledge Aluxes is my favorite hotel anywhere! Everyone is so friendly there that they became friends. We loved that it is small so you really become comfortable knowing the people there (employees and other guests). When my husband and I left to honeymoon in Riviera Maya, we almost left there to go back to Isla Mujeres! We will hopefully be back next year!

Amanda K

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank AmandaKout
We are pleased to greet you and at the same time we would like to convey our gratitude for your preference in Privilege Aluxes and your contribution with your comments.

We really appreciate your trust and we hope to see you next year to continue giving you the kind of service you deserve.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Quiet, tranquil, and totally relaxing.

I can never say enough about this place! Just ask all of my friends, family and coworkers - some of whom I've convinced to come to isla, too!

We always request and stay in the same premium suite - #242 - with a perfect overview of the pools, beach and bright turquoise waters.

It's become a twice-yearly ritual for us. Can't wait, only 38 days until our next visit! Get those Mango Tangos ready!

Room Tip: room 242!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank douglassm
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
At Privilege Aluxes Hotel, we know that loyal customers are largely responsible for our great success and we are very grateful to you.

The efforts of our team worthwhile when it results in your satisfaction.
We look forward to seeing you soon!