“#1 Stay in 10 Trips to Mexico/Caribbean”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Chicago, Illinois
“#1 Stay in 10 Trips to Mexico/Caribbean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I am hesitant to write this as I don't want too many to know of this secret oasis. We stayed in honeymoon suite, and it was huge. Bathrooms were awesome. First time away without kids as just a couple in 5 years and we LOVED PA and Pool and beach are just perfect. Quiet but with a bit of energy. Get the AI, worth the money. Rent a cart and tour the island for 1 or 2 of your days. Miguel was the best. He took such great care of us. A couple rude fellow Americans complained about stuff and didn't tip him at all, so we tried to make up for it. This hotel has great staff. Go here, and appreciate it for its perfect size, it's character, the proximity to awesome Hidalgo and the ability to,take a ferry over to Cancun if you'd like to go on a bender one night....my bet is, you'll decide to just stay on Isla M the whole time.

Room Tip: Great place, rent a cart and explore on a Sunday
3 Thank Bryce B
PrivFD, Reception at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
It is a pleasure to know that you had a great time with us and you enjoyed your couple getaway. We are happy to know that you will keep good memories of your stay with us.

We are looking forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (896)
  • Hebrew first
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We got a room with a nice view, so that was good. At the reception desk, there's one older woman who's a bit sour. She's the one who checked us in, and she just doesn't know how to give that "Welcome to your vacation!" vibe. When I went to check out, I had to hand over the paper bracelet they give you (trick: when they ask you how tight you want it, get it extra loose, so that way you can take it off whenever you want by pulling it across your wrist.) So anyway, I give back my bracelet, and go back to my room to retrieve my belongings, when a guard stops me to ask me what my room number is and what I'm doing on the property. When I told him I'm checking out he became super friendly, and I suppose it's good to have guards there, but it was awkward to feel like I had snuck in, even if for just a couple of moments.

The bad thing is that the bathroom area smelled of sewage. At first I thought my partner was having a really bad day, but then it became obvious that the stench is coming from the bathroom itself. And it lingered on for days. Not the end of the world, we closed the bathroom door and opened up the sliding door, but it's still a letdown. We never complained, so maybe we should've.

I must say that I think I'm spoiled. We usually reserve the hotel next door, Ixchel, one of the penthouse rooms is comparable in price to PA but with a superior view.

All in all, a good experience but not a great one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BocosTravels
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at PA Jan 19-27. It was our first time to Isla though we have been to the yucatan about a half dozen times. After spending 8 days at this beautiful hotel on the wonderful Isla Mujeres we have finally found our vacation home.

The service was outstanding. Every waiter and bartender on the beach were there at the palapa when ever you needed anything. I don't want to name any names for fear I would leave someone out.

Our flight was early so the front desk stowed our luggage and gave us our wristbands so we could relax and enjoy the resort until 3 o'clock check in. They were very friendly and professional. Went back at 3 and check in was a breeze.

The room was huge! Large terrace with hot tub, living room, seperate bedroom with bathroom, and even a small kitchen with well stocked mini bar. The room was spotless everyday when we came back from the beach.

I left the island without seriously 1 complaint. I sit here in Buffalo,NY missing it every day. We have already booked another trip back. See you in November!!!

• Stayed January 2013
PrivFD, Reception at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Get good opinions about our services, facilities and care provided during your stay is the best prize we can receive.
It is a pleasure to receive your congratulations, we try our best to fulfill your needs.

We look forward to seeing you in November!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We have stayed at the Priviledge twice, once in Feb 2011 and once in Nov 2011. We had a great time on both occaisions. In Nov we encountered the weddings. The wedding parties seem to think that they own the place. Luckily, the Staff informed them otherwise. The beach is controlled by the hotel and is very soft white sand, very clean, and they provide chair/loungers for the guest. They also have waitstaff that provide drinks and food. Watch out for slippry floors and sometimes the elevators don't work.

Room Tip: Look for last minute deals at AAA. But watch what room they try to give you, they may try to give yo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark L
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel. Based on what we had learned the previous year, we booked with our travel agent and were very specific with our requests. We wanted the black wristband and ocean view balcony. Our travel agent thought we were a little nuts, because we requested twice before arriving that this was in place. We arrived Jan 14 and were told we needed to pay an additional $450 USD for the black wristband we were told that had already been paid for. We got to our room, it was not an ocean view room. We demanded that our travel agent be called. 90 minutes later, we were put in an ocean view suite. We really love the location of this hotel, and are grateful that our travel agent saved our trip. We most likely will not stay at Privilege again due to the inconsistent package structure. I go on vacations to destress, not to have to fight to get what I paid for. Three other couples we met there said the same thing had happened, but they couldn't get the room they had booked. The common denominator is Priveilege Aluxes. I find it hard to believe that every booking company is that incompent and that this hotel is a victim. The poor service rating is based on the handling of our check in process.Our room was clean, the grounds were well kept. The food is nothing special; I think its better to eat off the resort.

Room Tip: We were told that if we called the hotel directly that they would assure we would have no problems...
5 Thank Melissa F
Carmel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

It was our first time visiting the hotel as well as the island. The location of the resort is perfect. We were located right across from the ocean and within walking distance to the ferry and downtown. We stayed for three nights and had a beautiful view of the pool and ocean. Our room was huge...almost too big. We spent very little time in our room so we did not take advantage of the kitchen or the tv room. If we were staying for a week we might have made use of these rooms but we spent all our time on the balcony, bath and bedroom. Our room was very clean, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. We spent most of our free time at the beach. They have a beautiful pool but the water was so cold that it was impossible to get in. We sat at the pool bar for maybe 10 minutes before we had to get out. Our bartender Ponce was excellent. He made great drinks was accommodating and very friendly. The best part of the vacation was our experience at the spa. My husband and I both received deep tissue massages TWICE. The first time was so great we had to go back a second time. Rossana, Maria and Natali were fantastic! It was the best massage I have ever had. The spa was clean and relaxing. We did not do this on the beach but at the spa and it was perfect. My only complaint was the food quality. I had nachos on the beach one day and they clearly used canned nacho cheese. Seemed kind of silly seeing how we are in Mexico. The breakfast was fine. A wide variety of Danish, eggs, locs, etc. I am not a huge breakfast eater so in retrospect it was foolish of us to spend money on a resort where our money is going for "all you can eat.". We did not eat dinner at the resort because I wanted more authentic food. The resort was great but I enjoyed venturing into the town the most. We rented a golf cart and rode around and that was great! There is a great outdoor sports bar right across the street that had super cold bottled beer and we could watch the NFL playoffs in English. That was nice because the resort only serves draft beer. :(. All in all it is a beautiful resort with a very friendly staff. If you are looking for an all inclusive vacation Privilege Aluxes is a great place.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank RebeccaWCarmel
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was my 2nd time to Mexico (the first time being to Puerto Vallarta in 2010) and my husband's first trip out of the US. We stayed from 1/19/13 - 1/27/13, and this was the best vacation we've ever taken. No hyperbole at all. I can't fathom giving this hotel less than a 5 star rating. From the very attentive, polite staff to the proximity to a gorgeous, swimmable beach to the comfort and cleanliness of the facilities, this place is great.

We did the AI plan, which, if you drink even lightly to moderately like we do, pays for itself, and the food is good for an all-inclusive. A word of warning... I think word has trickled down that a lot of people complain that AI resorts water down their alcohol. Not true here. I rarely drink (like once a month maybe) and my husband drinks only slightly more than that. Here they will make you a double or triple on the house and hand you the strongest drink you've ever tasted. You will NOT get a watered down drink at this resort. Oh, and there's real pieces of coconut in the blue hawaiians. Amazing. Mmmmm. Also, we thought the breakfast was best -- I'd rate it excellent for an all-inclusive. Lupe makes the best breakfast omelets!

The service here provides a very cozy atmosphere. Once we failed to visit Cafe Del Mar (the beach restaurant) one day, and we had a server spot us, come over to shake our hands, called us by name, and teasingly asked where we were the night before. That's what I mean by a welcoming, polite, friendly staff. It's not a put-on. At least we didn't think so. :)

Our room was a suite, and it was immaculate. Cleaner than a vast majority of US hotels I've stayed in (and I don't make a habit of staying in dives. Ha.) Some people complain about the hard beds, but it's a matter of taste. For me, I love a firm bed, and I slept like a baby throughout the whole stay.

Check-in and check-out were simple and quick for us. We got in and out quickly, and we had no issues with extra charges, being issued the wrong room, or anything like that.

Shout out to Yudit, Sergio, and Jaime, all of whom went above and beyond for us during our stay. We can't wait to come back asap. We're addicted to this lovely island and this beautiful hotel. :)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 523 (building 5, floor 2, room 3), and we faced inward, toward the resort and the...
3 Thank JBB07
PrivFD, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
It is a pleasure to receive your congratulations, we try our best to fulfill your needs and we will do it again on your next visit.