“Amazing!”
Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Wow, what a place! I had a superior room with a jacuzzi on my balcony which was gorgeous, room 451 had the most incredibly almost 180 degree view over the island and across the beach and sea. Something I hadn't banked on was being up so high on a coastal front meant it was really windy at night and I had to move the furniture inside as it was banging around which in the middle of the night is a tad spooky. Room is stunning, room service and the whole hotel pretty inexpensive, had a lovely club sandwich on the beach. The area Privilige has on the beach is perfect, gorgeous sun loungers and four poster beds. Sand is so white and the sea is warm. Service was great, breakfast buffet pretty good. I also ate in their Satay restaurant without a reservation and the staff and food were fab. If you visit Isla this place is a must. I know some people mentioned an issue with WiFi access up high, I didn't find this an issue at all. Its an easy walk into town and if you want to explore further hire a golf buggy, it's a great way to get about and really fun.

Room Tip: 451 was great for me. It's over looking a school below but you can see the entire island and I...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank NaomiScott32
PrivFD, Reception at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

The aim of Privilege Aluxes is to provide positive and unforgettable experiences.
We are glad to know that you enjoy your stunning room and our service.

Hope to see you soon and keep adding unforgettable moments in your life.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,035)

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed here for a week in early November. Everything was perfect, arrival was quick & friendly, greeted with champagne & a cold towel. Taken to our room which was lovely, I booked a standard but when we looked out on our balcony we had one of the jacuzzi baths, I wasn't told at reception and I'm sure it's not in their standard rooms. The room was clean, huge bed, beautiful bathroom with a lovely strong shower. Seriously couldn't fault it at all. Breakfast was great and varied each day, fruit, cereal, toast, pastries, eggs, pancakes etc etc etc, always something. I have to say some of the items on the hot plates weren't always hot so I took items from the bottom of the dish to get the hottest ones. Service was good and waiters always nice and polite. We booked breakfast only because there are so many restaurants close by and the standard and value of food is excellent. The beach area was beautiful and very well kept, nice to have your own little enclosed area to keep the beach sellers at bay!
ps for the people who are bothered by the graveyard behind the hotel, it's ridiculous, at least you have quiet neighbours!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oxford-globetrotters

Thanks for sharing your experience and allow us contact you.
The efforts of our team worthwhile when it results in your satisfaction.

We would be happy to welcome you again.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Let me start by saying I had watched reviews of this one for several months before we booked and even continued to watch them after. I thought I knew what to expect, but was blown away by the noise and I don’t mean from the school. We had been deciding for the last 5 days of our trip to either go here or back to the Valentin Imperial Maya which we love. If you’re deciding the same thing I suggest you run back to the Valentin, Privilege Aluxes in no way compares. The other big let down was the area itself. For a very detailed review read on…

First, we arrived by ferry and did use the guys with bikes who work for tips. We arrived about 1:30 and with the street as busy as it is at this time I highly recommend the bike guy. He actually walked and talked with us. He took us a few blocks back, parallel so we ended up coming out right at the cemetery entrance. On the way he pointed out where he recommended to get cheap groceries, pharmacy etc… On our return to the ferry at the end of our vacation we walked it ourselves with our suitcases but at 9a.m there was little foot traffic and not so much heat. It’s a 10 minute walk pulling suitcases.

Check in was fine, of course the room wasn’t ready (which was typical in the months I been reading reviews, apparently all maids leave just one thing to finish in each room so that none can be released till precisely 3.) No big deal we had lunch at the Del Mar. The concierge guy walked us there and while walking told us something about he saw it was a special occasion for us (I emailed telling them it was our 24th anniversary.) He said he thought he had a special bottle or something for us. Just so I don’t forget, there was no note, bottle, no anything special as far as I could tell. Why bring it up if you’re not going to do anything? He also told us he would come get us as soon as our room was ready. We ate and lingered as long as we could. The guac, chips, and margaritas were great as well as shrimp taco’s by the way. When we could wait no long we headed back to the lobby, now about 2:45 and our room “just became” ready.

He walked us to our room (334) and it was very small, which we expected. We had a superior with hot tub on the deck. The deck was spacious but low and behold we had not only the school but the cemetery as well and the city smack in the middle. In my opinion it was the worst view/location possible. I told him and he didn’t offer to do anything or check and said all rooms faced the city unless you have a suite. We could see the ocean in the very far distance both directions. After just coming from Akumal where we’d had ocean front view for 5 days figured we’d just make the best of it, at least it was private (no other rooms could see in though possibly could look up from the street, it was 3rd floor.) My husband started the tub and I unpacked a few things then thought I’d pull up a chair and sit by him while he enjoyed the tub. It was not to be….I couldn’t hear him from the noise of a jack hammer from the city. I now was about ready to cry. Not only do we not have a view but the deck is totally unusable unless you enjoy hearing constant noise. When the jack hammer did stop we could hear each other a little but that was over the sound of honking horns and loud music going by.

My husband trying to save our vacation tried to get a suite which we were told there was a waiting list for (we never did get told if one was ever available though I don’t know that those would have been better for the noise issue, read on….)

That night we were awaken at 3 a.m by barking dogs, then around 4 the beeping noise started presumably from the adjoining room or the hall way. It was like electronic beeps. After that we could hear the water in the pipes from the room above flushing their toilet (apparently the noise woke them up too?) Needless to say we did not sleep well and I had a horrible headache the next morning from lack of sleep. We went immediately to the front desk and asked for a room change, same category even, just a quieter location. They didn’t know if they could do anything, this was like 7a.m. Check back they said, well if you’ve been reading review you know this is the standard answer from the reception desk. We had breakfast, checked back, again told to “check back”.

We tried to find a quiet place where I could sleep and ended up at the beach beds by the pool, which by the way are the quietest place to spend time although you can still hear the music in the distance and screaming people from balcony to balcony along with a once in awhile noisy cart going by on the walk behind. While there my husband was at the swim up bar getting drinks when one of the employee’s there was delivering some supplies and asked how our stay was going. I believe his name was Carlos and he was the manager! If he had not run into him I’m not sure if we would have ever got a room change, seriously! He told my husband he though there should be no problem getting that done.

Around 2-3 in the afternoon I went to the front desk to check emails or exchange money or something, can’t remember and while I was there asked again, any news on a different room. They responded they were working on it and me being irritated by this point (after at least 3 come back laters….) said well that’s not going to help me get to sleep tonight is it! I went back to the pool and told my husband he’d have to deal with the front desk, I wasn’t going back again.

Around ½ hr later we ran into another manager on the walkway, front desk manger I believe, he asked how our new room was. We were like “what”, I had just been there and got the run around ½ hr before?! He said no, it’s all set. He walked us to the front desk, showed us on a clipboard they had it all assigned with our new number and everything. I’m not sure what the communication, or “authority to do something” issue is here but this seems to be a common problem and again I’m not so sure if we hadn’t run into the manager if we’d have gotten a change.

So now the new room, it was fourth floor 441, really only down maybe 150 ft or so from the last one but up one floor. We were smack in front of the school but had excellent ocean view including Cancun in the distance. The deck on this one is not private at all as 4-5 rooms can view it plus the stairwell. It was unbelievably somewhat quieter. We were able to converse and hear one another! I’m not sure if being up a floor or moved closer to the ocean instead of the city where the barking dogs are on the roofs did it or what but it was better. The room on this one is a bit bigger but the bathroom not quite as nice, although just fine.

Now on to the rest of the noise, noise, noise…

This hotel attracts wedding parties and lots of groups. I think because of the proximity to the city you get more “party” type groups. I was not expecting this of a 5 star hotel. We were there from a Thursday-Tuesday so we had one wedding the first three days and another coming in Monday and Tuesday when we were leaving. I’ve got nothing against weddings or groups but there were a lot of people hosting balcony parties with loud yelling as well as shouting at one another across the walkways. This is why I’m not sure that the inside of the hotel may give you much quiet either. It will really depend on whose hosting the balcony party that morning, afternoon or evening. Seriously it was breakfast and they were shouting up to balconies about who has Bailey’s to put in the coffee. We have been at other hotels with multiple weddings even and have not found this atmosphere like we did here.

Our last night in our new quieter room we also got to hear a one and ½ hour fight (starting around midnight) with slapping right outside or door. It went on for 45 minutes or so, security came, then quieted then started again. I mean the doors and walls are thin, you can hear it all. It sounded like teenagers (though I’m sure they were probably early 20’s), finally it ended, she got the room and told him to go with the friends. Really, my husband can give you pretty much a transcript of the fight, it was that clear.

The beach is free of noise and nice till about 11 a.m. They have some quiet music emanating from the Del Mar. About 11:10 a party boat from Cancun comes and drops 50-60 noisy people and ramps up the music at the beach club right next door. Think they leave around 5.
Despite all the noise we did try to enjoy our time.

Food: We did do the all inclusive and we found it fabulous, not sure what people are complaining about. The Thai, Satay was probably our favorite. The spring rolls with plum sauce were incredible, they could bottle that sauce and sell it, it was that good. We were also VERY impressed with the Teriyaki Beef, we thought it would be strips but it was a whole thick steak with fabulous teriyaki sauce. It was probably the 2nd best meal we had in our 10 day vacation (beat out by Turtle Bay Bakery and Café in Akumal.) We ate there twice, had some other things 5 Satay (skewers of chicken, shrimp), miso soup and more I can’t remember but it was all fine. We don’t do sushi so I can’t comment on that.

The beach restaurant was fine, nothing that made the top of our list but it was good. The portion on the coconut shrimp we felt was small and a bit disappointing. They have two different dinner menu’s here and it changes on Monday so we ate there once with each menu.

We also did the sit down lunch at the other restaurant (Sabor I think, the one the buffet is in for breakfast and dinner), it was nice to sit in the air condition after being out in the hot sun for awhile. I had the chicken fajita which was great and I think my husband had a steak. Can’t remember what we had for appetizer etc.. but it was all fine.

We only ate one night at the buffet for dinner. It was Mexican and they did cook to order things, I had a quesadillas , it was good. Can’t remember what else but it was fine. On Day of the Dead they had an outdoor party with tons of seafood buffet which was excellent; Shrimp, Calamari and Fish grilled along with homemade Tamale’s that were incredible. Lots more that was all very good. The waiters all had their faces made up and they had a shrine set up etc… Very nice.

Actually, though the breakfast is okay, it was my least favorite meal here. Try as I did, I couldn’t get them to make an omelet that wasn’t brown. I saw other people with yellow omelets coming away on Sunday (there was a lady cooking) but I had given up by then. They had lots of choices, especially in the sweet breads and fruit every day.

We thought we’d end up eating a night or two out in the town which would be very easy as it’s only a couple blocks away but we never did. We were too full and had what we wanted at the hotel. If Olivia’s had been open on Sunday or Monday we “might” have been tempted away but it was closed. Most of the other restaurants are street side with lots of noise and we were craving a more quiet atmosphere.

Snacks are also available to be brought to your poolside bed or lounge chair as well as the beach beds and lounges. My husband had chicken wings brought nearly every day and I either choice pizza or chips with guacamole for my snack.

Norte beach was a huge disappointment and the beach in front of PA is MUCH nicer. We walked from the PA area down towards the Avalon (didn’t get quite that far), it is the worst beach I’ve ever encountered in Mexico. We have been to Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Akumal, and Puerto Moreles. There is competing music blaring from every hotel and beach club every 100-200 feet, sand bags (lg. black and small white) stick out every couple hundred feet as well as jetty’s, not to mention sand flea’s. It is not a runnable beach and not very “walkable” really either, very disappointing. We walked it the first day and after having our feet and ankles all bit up we didn’t venture that way again.

We did go down to the Avalon area beach which is nice but we took the street behind the hotel past the cemetery to get to it. (Much quicker anyway!) There are fish there that are fun to see if you have snorkel gear and we even saw a barracuda under the bridge. Not too much snorkeling area, but if you’ve got your gear anyway, why not? There is nothing in front of the PA to see though it is nice for cooling off and swimming. It gets deep quickly which we liked.

Oh, and while talking about the beach I will just mention what others have said about the massages. The lady in the white tent to the left of the PA area my husband also felt was the best massage he’d ever had for $35 U.S. He highly recommends it, her name was Aleeshia.

The island itself was nice. We enjoyed talking with many of the shop owners and bargaining for our souvenirs. My husband especially enjoyed the day we rented a golf cart. Watch out for the speed bumps, they are not all clearly visible but sure make for a memorable ride, we had a riot! I recommend the turtle farm first thing. I think we were the first ones there in the morning and got an incredible tour from the guy who takes care of them. From there we went to Punta Sur that was also worth a stop. Just keep in mind their safety standards are not like the U.S., not sure I’d want little kids there with all those missing railings. Other than that we had a blast driving around the island at least twice, making different turns and just taking it all in.

The staff especially at the restaurants and bars were all very accommodating and really seemed to care if you were pleased.

I could go on and if you have other questions please ask.

I’ve thought about how in the world I could have misread “quiet, laid back etc…” that I have read for months about the hotel and island and the one conclusion I can come up with is perspective. If you’re used to Cancun I’m sure it does seem “quiet and laid back” if you’re used to quieter places in the region be prepared for noise and busy. It reminded us a lot of Playa del Carmen. We had stayed near town in Cozumel and not encountered the same noise level. We have not ever stayed “in town” in playa so I can’t compare that experience but the town itself had a playa feel to us.

We made the best of it and had a good time. No, we would probably not go back, too loud and busy of a hotel/area for us and not nice enough beaches. If we did go back to the island we would probably seek lodging “out” somewhere and rent a golf cart for the week or maybe in one of the hotels near the Avalon. We love all inclusives however, and that limits your choices on this island. PA still might be your best choice for this category if you’re wanting all inclusive.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank tlpgina
PrivilegeIslaMujeres, Quality Control at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

We would like to thank you for your extensive review and for all your recommendations. They are of great assistance to improve our work and hotel offer. Thanks for sharing.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed October 22- 29,
The pros:
Nice rooms with Jacuzzi, really like the shower, TV mounted on the wall
the food was very good at the Satay,service was excellent
The Sabor for lunch was good, breakfast was good Could use some more fruit and juices.,service for breakfast ,not very good,and I only say that because,the coffee is not self serve, and you need to hunt someone down to get a cup.
The pool was nice ,clean and large
The beach was excellent, plenty of seating, with great drink service
Food at the beach was also very good.

Cons:
We were on the third floor,the elevator was out of operation for three days.
The swim up pool drinks we very low quality
The beach did not have medium level booze ( oh they had some higher grade booze,but that was EXTRA).

Overall, I would return ( this was trip 14 ,to the Cancun area)

Room Tip: The higher floors have a better view
1  Thank mexijoe
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful white beach, cristal clear water, big hotel rooms, good service (TV didn't work, they changed it within minutes!!), big breakfast buffet, beach club very nice & staff very friendly!
I'm glad we didn't book all inclusive as there are many restaurants in the main street (we had the best fish ever!!)
Go for a motroller and explore the island! Very nice!!

Annoying is only the constant request about tips but this is normal in Mexico... :-)

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank christensimone
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We absolutely loved our experience at this resort! We stayed Oct 25th for 7 nights...its never long enough! The food was fantastic, weather at the pool bar, the buffet , or our favorite on the beach! The breakfast buffet was our favorite meal but we are just breakfast kinda people anyways.. many choices on the buffet, will even take my very picky family with me next year and I know they will be satisfied.. The service was outstanding! I had my doubts after reading some other reviews, and maybe they stayed during the peak season? Im not sure, because everyone from front desk to pool bar (YAY Miguel! ) to the waiters and staff on hand were superb! I cant remember the last time we went somewhere and were treated so well even with our all inclusive bracelet.. Room minifridge was stocked daily with our favorites, and we took advantage of the once daily room service probably 3 times, and was always happy with it! Room was clean , and although if looking directly down we were over the graveyard (it was a beautiful and colorful one), we were ont he 5th floor and had ocean views in every direction. We were in building 2, room 254. Although not required a very small tip for the housekeeping gave us fresh flowers in our room each day and cute towel animals as well as all our requests were met! We never felt rushed to get a "good seat" at the pool or on the beach.. Beach palapas were awesome and great service out there as well ! The beaches were the cleanest I have ever been to! They have a group of people that go around the entire island every morning at 5am and rake/clean the beaches! The location was excellent.. we were close to some great snorkeling areas (in front of the Avalon Hotel) that were totally safe and had nice fish, close to the "main street" activity and stores, and within walking distance of the ferry dock.. I am in recovery from a broken back and struggled to walk upon arrival with our luggage to the resort, so someone elderly or with physical issues may need a taxi (only $20 pesos fyi) to the resort, but the average person could easily walk the distance..also they have men that will carry your luggage for you via bicycle cart while you walk for very cheap as well... To get your money converted (you can bargain MUCH more if you pay in pesos) use the HSBC bank across the street from the ferry dock on Isla via ATM machine, the fee we found to be much lower than other places for conversion.. Highly suggest renting a golf cart for minimum 24 hrs.. we rented for 3 days of our stay and loved the freedom of roaming this beautiful little island.. always felt safe no matter the time of day! DOnt pay the high fees for Garrafon Park.. about $58 US dollars, when you can go right next door to Garrafon de Castille and pay $5 US dollars or equiv in pesos to US $3.00 and you can snorkel the same reef.. VERY WORTH checking this out..fish were amazing.. buy the fish food or take some with you, you will be very pleased..the fish are VERY friendly there ! ALso we booked our airport transfer thru expedia and was ALOT cheaper than I have seen posted elsewhere just FYI...
OVERALL will highly suggest going here to anyone NOT looking for a PARTY PARTY atmosphere like Cancun.. you want an all night party, stay in Cancun.. looking for relaxing beaches and calm atmosphere, great service.. then stay here! You can always take the ferry over to Cancun $70 pesos one way if you need a "night on the town" or to visit other places.. ALSO thru the resort you can book the snorkel tour to the underwater museum..its only $35 US dollars and you can charge it to your room to use up the $200.00 US deposit they ask for when you check in... The museum was interesting, but my favorite part was the 1st snorkel site they take you to.. AMAZING! Moses and Pedro were our guides and captain and they were alot of fun! Lunch is included after your trip also..Just be aware they say 3 hr snorkel but the entire trip was a little longer just in case you have other things arranged at a certain time afterwards, because they do make a stop or two before coming back in to the dock for bathroom breaks and such.. OH.. i also read review about beds being hard and no hot water? I for one wanted to take my bed home with me and when showering at home we both said we missed our long hot showers at the resort..so Im not sure if these people that complained are used to sleeping on clouds on what ! haha... just remember when you read the reviews that alot depends on peoples expectations..and what they are accustomed to.. There isnt alot of resort based activities or parties so if you are looking for that , this isnt the place for you.. but relax and enjoy your beautiful surroundings..go here!

Room Tip: choose a higher floor for best views!
3  Thank ANDREA U
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Privilege Aluxes on Isla Mujeres for 5 nights (6 days). Our stay was one of our more enjoyable visits to an all-inclusive in Mexico (we've been to almost 30). To us, it felt more like a nice, centrally-located, reasonably-sized hotel with a great beach and an all-inclusive option than an actual mega-resort like others in the Riviera Maya. And I say that in a good way (details to follow).

Hotel location: The hotel is located on the main street that runs along the west side of the island. Centro (downtown) starts right across the street and the main shopping street (Hidalgo) is 2 blocks away. The hotel is an easy 10-minute walk, even with rolling luggage, from the ferry dock (it's 511 yards from the dock, according to the hotel website). It backs up to cemetery and is across the street from a school.

Check-in: Check-in was very quick and pleasant. We were offered champagne or a cold bottle of water at check-in. Juan was very friendly and accommodating. I asked if there was anything that he could do for us in the way of a better room (we had booked a standard room – even though our receipt from the online travel agent said “deluxe room”). He explained that “deluxe” was just a general description of all of their rooms. As far as an upgrade, he asked (wink, wink) if it was our honeymoon. I answered with a smile that of course it was! So we were put in the honeymoon room (not suite) where we found a bottle of champagne, a fruit plate with chocolate sauce, and towel kissing swans and rose petals on the bed. He bellboy who took our bags to our room pointed out the location of restaurants, bars, etc. and quickly recited their hours. He showed us how to use the safe, thermostat, etc.

Room: The room was small by all-inclusive resort standards, but it was adequate (how much time do you really spend in the room?). It was furnished with a king bed, 2 nightstands and a desk and chair. It also had a closet with a safe big enough for a laptop. There was one luggage rack and not a lot of floor space for our second suitcase. The bathroom was large and had a wet room with a good-sized shower and a tub. The shower had good pressure and plenty of warm water but the hand-held shower head was mounted at about waist height so you had to always hold it in one hand to use it. There was a vertical bar that it could have been mounted on, but it was missing the clip that would allow that. The counter around the sink was large and the toilet (reasonable height, not almost on the floor) was in a separate walled-off space. Both the room and the bathroom had good lighting. The minibar was refilled daily (when we arrived we found a special tape seal on it to monitor use by guests who weren't on the all-inclusive plan so we checked with the front desk to make doubly sure that it was included with our plan). Everything was very clean when we arrived and kept that way by housekeeping throughout our stay. Our room did face the school, which could be a bit loud in the morning and again in the evening, but it was apparently our only option without paying for an upgrade. We were in building 5 (second closest to the beach and the restaurants after building 6). I would recommend building 5 or 6 as the most convenient.

Staff: All of the employees we encountered were very friendly, helpful, attentive, and bent over backwards to make our stay pleasant. Many even remembered our drink orders or favorite table in the restaurant from day to day. Although tipping is certainly not required, we made sure to reward those whose service was exceptional (and there were many).

Pools/Beach: The pools and the area surrounding them were never crowded (in fact, almost empty) the whole time we were there. I saw employees checking the chemicals on many occasions and the pools looked very clean. There was plenty of shade in the pool area. The towels (that you get by the pool area with your towel card for use at the pool and beach) were large and thick. The beach was across a narrow sand road from the main hotel grounds (a much shorter walk from our room than at most resorts we've been to). The beach was deep (approximately 30 yards from the water's edge to the back of the beach). It felt very uncrowded and there was plenty of shade (41 palapas – they're numbered – and 4 beach beds). Each palapa had its own table and even a hook from which to hang a beach bag. The palapas were spaced relatively far apart – no wall-to-wall lounge chairs. Speaking of lounge chairs, they were padded and very comfortable. The sand was some of the best we've ever experienced – soft, fine and white. The water entry was easy – soft sand, no rocks – and it dropped off quickly (chest deep 12-15 feet out). The beach waiters (Sergio, David, Luis, Raul) were on top of things - our glasses were never empty – and they were all genuinely friendly. I brought a large insulated mug and they had no problem keeping it full of Pepsi Light for me. My husband had his fill of Negra Modelo (after he tried a few mixed drinks and found them to be not so great). There was no animation/activity team, no water volleyball, water aerobics, beach volleyball, etc. - and no pounding, throbbing music by the pool or at the beach. It was very relaxing. There were vendors but they stayed on the public part of the beach (near the water) and never came up among the palapas so they were easy to ignore. One vendor was even selling snorkeling trips for $30, $20 if you had your own gear. There were plenty of hotel security people everywhere.

Food/Restaurants: If the hotel has one shortcoming, it is in the area of restaurants and food. Sabor serves a buffet breakfast and dinner and an a la carte lunch. Breakfast had about 1/2 the choices of other all-inclusives we've been to. For example, there was an omelet station, but not a waffle or smoothie station. There were enough food choices (sausage, chicken, potatoes, chilaquiles, cereal, French toast, yogurt, etc.) that we certainly didn't go hungry. One type of food that was lacking was fresh fruit. There were a few thin slices of a different kind of fruit on each of 3 plates in a refrigerated case where they tended to freeze to the plates at times, making them impossible to serve. The dinner buffet had a different Mexican regional theme every night and was OK but again the choices were limited. One night the buffet was closed for a seafood BBQ on the beach (a couple of grilled seafood choices – no shrimp, several side dishes, salads and desserts). Again it was just average – nothing great. The a la carte lunch menu had about 8-10 entree choices that varied in serving size from snack-size to very large. You never knew how much you were going to get so it was hard to decide whether to order an appetizer or soup as a starter.

The Cafe del Mar, an outdoor a la carte restaurant by the beach, served lunch and dinner. The lunch menu had a variety of choices including appetizers, sandwiches, a burger, tacos, several entrees and desserts. The shrimp cocktail was huge and included diced red bell peppers and a bit of cilantro and was very good. The burger and the club sandwich were fine but the fries were quite greasy. The beach waiters will bring you a lunch menu from Cafe del Mar and then deliver your food right to your palapa. There are 2 different dinner menus (one mostly seafood and one Mexican – not tacos, but beef, pork, chicken, seafood entrees cooked with a Mexican influence). Both menus also include pasta dishes and each runs for one week straight, changing every Monday night. The food here was pretty good, but serving size was generally quite small except for the pasta dishes. Enrique was a great waiter here.

We used room service once and the food was decent and arrived within 20 minutes.

We never tried Satay, the Thai/Asian/sushi restaurant that requires reservations and has a dress code.

At every meal, every group (even those who were on the all-inclusive plan) had to sign a check (it had a zero balance for AI guests). We couldn't just get up and leave when we were done with a meal because we had to wait for our bill. Sometimes the quickest way to get it was to start walking out.

Bars/drinks: Negra Modelo and Modelo Especial were on tap along with Corona and possibly others. The mixed drinks were weak and strange. My husband's tequila sunrise seemed to have mostly grenadine, no orange juice and very little tequila. There were 3 bars (pool, Sabor Restaurant and Cafe del Mar Restaurant).

Evening entertainment: There was live music by the Cafe del Mar every evening starting at about 8:00.

Check-out: Maria was pleasant and business-like as she helped us check out. It took less that 3 minutes.

Miscellaneous: There are 2 different colors of wristbands – blue for all-inclusive and white for breakfast-only plan. Depending on the price difference, I would consider the breakfast-only plan the next time we come here (and we do plan to return – something we don't often say about all-inclusives we visit because we like to try new places). If we did that, we would bring our soft-sided cooler and buy beer, soda and snacks at the local market for our days on the beach and then go out for dinner every night. There were many restaurants within walking distance.

It would have been helpful to have a printed schedule of the restaurant and bar hours. We had trouble remembering the quick oral rundown we received at check-in.

We loved the fact that there were no sneaky salesmen/”concierges” trying to sell time-shares.

There is free wifi and the connection was very good in the room.

A couple of things to consider doing: rent a golf cart in town (cheaper than at the hotel) to drive all over the island. While you have it, stop in at Garrafon de Castilla to snorkel ($5 admission, $2 locker, $7 equipment rental if you don't have your own). It's about 1/10 the price of Garrafon National Park next door.

Summary: Privilege Aluxes provides a very relaxing experience, better for adults than kids, although we did see a few children there. It is perfect if you want to lie on the beach, swim in the ocean, walk into town and just chill out. It is not for you if you're looking for nightly shows, a disco, organized beach and pool activities and throbbing music. Of course you can get most of that (minus the beach and pool activities) by walking into town at night. We got a great price on this trip and would definitely return if we come across a similar deal.

Room Tip: Building 6 is closest to the beach and restaurants, followed by building 5, then 4, etc.
9  Thank frugaltravelerDenver