“Given the other choices on the island, this could be one of the best.”
Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was not a large property however do to and small number of visitors it was not croWDED. We stayed 6 nights but I think that 4 or 5 nights is an optimal stay. The room was kind of small but it did have a nice view. If the resort isn't that busy ask for an upgrade for a view of the pool or the beach.

The food was OK. We decided NOT to do the all inclusive option and were happy that we did so. The food for the breakfast buffet was the same everyday With limited choices. there were a couple of flies near the food and dessert continuously flying around. Drinks weren't that good and they were kind of expensive.

We chose not to eat dinner and lunch at the hotel. You do not need an all inclusive options because there are many little restaurants and stores nearby within walking distance. All menus are compatible e Price During our stay the power went out for I would say 5 hours.

A fun part of our stay was that we rented a golf cart for 2 days to explore the island and that was definitely worth it!! For about 40 to 50 dollars per day you would be able to do to do this And you do not need to rent it for more than 2 days because the whole island you Can explorein 2 days.

If you want to snorkel for free at very nice place within walking distance of the hotel maybe 10 minutes there is a hotel call the Avalon Reef Club. It is free and there a lot of fish to say and very shallow water.

If you're into diving or snorkeling at a reasonable price consider going to sea hawk drivers on the way to the Avalon Reef Club it's a small shop located on the way.

The souvenirs at some of the shops were a bit overpriced. I would suggest waiting to get to the airport on your way home to pick up some souvenirs there.

Not sure that we would return to the same island because be saw everything there is to see perhaps we would go to a different place in Mexico.

If you're looking for an all inclusive vacation resort this is not the place. There are no activities or night life whatsoever so you have to Entertain yourself. The island is very safe we drove around late at night because we have nothing else to do.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Taliabella

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Towards the end of our trip we knew we'd want to splurge a bit on comfort rather than sleep in economic hostels. Based on recommendations from friends we reserved a room for three nights in Privilege.
The price was kinda high (all compared to the rest of our trip of-course, I don't know how it compares to 4-5 stars hotels in the area), but as I said - we were willing to spend a bit for the luxury.
And boy - it was worth it.

The hotel itself is found very near to Playa Norte - the north beach everyone raves about, and is a 5-7 minute walking distance from the Ultramar ferry.
It has a very impressive lobby, with water flowing through, free internet stations for guests' use, and Wi-Fi.

We arrived at the hotel a few hours before our reservation, and the guy who greeted us at the front desk was professional, though we got a rather unpleasant vibe from him, as though we were annoying him. We were told to come back at 3pm, because that's when our room would be ready. We left our bags in the hotel's storage and came back a bit before 3pm. This time, while waiting for the clock to chime, the bellboy saw us waiting and jumped to help us - he checked and found our room was ready, took both of our Muchillas (!!!) on his shoulder and led us to our room. (later we saw that bellboy and he gave us two glasses of champagne... so tip your bellboy! :) )

Entering the room for the first time was an experience on and of itself. The room had a King size bed (it was huge), a flat screen tv with cable, a rather large balcony facing the pool area, a big shower and bath (that had a jacuzzi option) lots of towels and some gratuitous kits f in the bathroom.

Furthermore there was a coffee corner with a coffee machine, tea, sugar and more, gratuitous bottled water, a minibar stocked with, supposedly expensive things, a rack for drying out wet clothes, two robes and - and that was my favorite of the bunch because of the thoughtfulness - an Umbrella. (Seeing as it was the 'wet' season, and every day had a chance for rains, it was rather ingenious putting one in the cupboard for the guests to use).

*The room was cleaned and tidied every day.

The hotel price included a buffet breakfast - which was rather nice and varied. Even had Cappuccino, an omelet bar and more.

The pool area was ok - beach chairs and a bar. Also a Jacuzzi.
Behind the pool - A Spa and a Gym.

Also part of the hotel premises was a beach bar and chairs - facing the sea, on the far side of which you could see Cancun.
On that part of the beach you could buy drinks and even get massages from the hotel's spa staff.

Privilege was one of the, if not the most luxurious hotel we've stayed in this trip, and I dare say - worth the price.

Room Tip: *I heard Higher floors and suites have Jacuzzi's inside the room. *The Hotel has an option for...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dominuss
PrivFD, Reception at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel.

We would love to have you as a regular guest. Waiting to have a new opportunity to welcome you again to Privilege Aluxes and the desire to give the best of our attention.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We absolutely love this place. We love it so much that we have been there 4 times within a year. Service was fantastic, the staff were very friendly and the rooms were clean and beautiful. There are many excursions available to you right from the hotel lobby at reasonable prices..ie..swimming with whale sharks (seasonal, but absolutely amazing), Mayan ruins tour, underwater museum, and so much more....you won't be disappointed...have fun!!

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank cliffy1972
PrivFD, Reception at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Firstly thank you for your preference at Privilege Aluxes.
Client’s satisfaction is our ultimate commitment and we would like to thank you again for your comments.
It is a honour to know that you have had an incredible experience with us, because our staff and our service reached your expectations.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We booked our air fair,transfers and Hotel thru Expedia and our trip was perfect,the price we paid was so low that I couldn`t believe it was the correct price.

Room We had a Superior room and it suited our needs perfectly we stayed in room 444 which backed up to the school.We could see the water on both sides of the island and most of Centro and everything south.The Bathroom is huge and the best part of the whole room was being able to open the door from the shower to the balcony.It was almost like showering outdoors.Balcony also was huge and we never used the Jacuzzi. The room was kept spotless throughout our stay,we called and requested extra pillows and they were there when we returned.As far as the Beds go,ours had a foam topper on it and it was awesome no complaints.I used my Laptop in our room everyday at all hours and my wife used her I pad and phone in our room and at the beach with no WiFi issues the whole week.We toured the Suite next door to our room and it was quite spacious and may upgrade to a suite next trip.

Location The PA is in one of the best locations on island,just around the bend from Playa Norte and on the N/w edge of Centro everything you could want is within easy walking distance.If you don`t eat or drink on site you will a plethora of eating,drinking&shopping opportunities close by.

Food/Beverage Excellent.....We went with the all inclusive plan.If plan on spending time at the PA`s beach this will pay for itself right there.We ate breakfast on site at Sabor every morning..There is a made to order egg station,plus several entree options,fresh fruit,cold meat & cheeses,pastries,bread,juice, potatoes,sausages,granola, yogurt,cereal breads,and other options.You can order any type of beverage or coffee you want,I enjoyed Cafe Americana,Espresso and Cappuccinos,all were excellent.We did not dine at Sabor for lunch or dinner.Cafe Del Mar the PA`s beach restaurant is excellent.We had their food for lunch on the almost every day and Dinner there many nights.It is beautifully set outdoors on the beach and is just gorgeous. Every meal our group of 3 had there was great not a complaint about anything from appetizers,entrees,salads,deserts,be it Beef,Chicken or Seafood all were beautifully presented and were quite good.We ordered room service one time it was good not great My Beef Filet was Great came as ordered Med-Rare.My wife's Pizza was not to her liking,the deserts were good,did not get my Espresso the waiter sad the machine was broke so he substituted a 7up. We ate at the beach for lunch almost every day and the food was awesome,served right at your Palapa.The Shrimp cocktail,Shrimp Tacos,Ceviche and Guacamole are all highly recommended.Satay,We had dinner their one evening and it was pretty good both our appetizers were great,My Tuna entree was excellent,my wife's Pad Thai left much to be desired.I believe they use a Tamarind sauce in there's which is not true thai and it makes it sweet.This was one of the few bad dishes we had over the course of our stay.Deserts were great and the ambiance of the Restaurant is beautiful.

Beverage Starting with Espresso,Cappuccino and juice for breakfast moving to the beach and Having a bucket of Ice Cold bottled water at your palapa. Then moving on to cold draft Coronas and moving on to frozen Tropical drinks in the afternoon and on through the evening.The drinks were all great and I NEVER had a problem getting one the whole week we were there.Some people complain about the beer selection.I didn`t drink many so I was fine with it.The Mixed drinks were Tasty and plenty strong and plentiful.I tried several new drinks and new shots recommended by the staff.

Service I read many reviews about the service here and I did not have a problem the whole time I was here.We were welcomed at the curb by Jaime who grabbed our bags and brought them from the cab and to our room.The front desk welcome with cold Rose in champagne flutes was fine.I had several other interactions with the front desk and all were flawless.The maid service was excellent.Everyone associated with food & beverage service was great.Enrique, & Raul at Cafe Del Mar went above & beyond the call of duty in serving us.We spent all day on the beach and had most of our meals there and we never wanted for ANYTHING! They consistently had drinks for us before we finished what we had.Almost every meal we had we had interaction with management making sure everything was up to par.The staff was always friendly and smiling.I think it`s kind of like the golden rule you treat people nice and they do the same with you.

Hotel property I have been to Mexico 5 times and this is the best place I have stayed at,I`m sure there are nicer places but the PA is great.Lots of hot water,Ice cold A/C,Gorgeous bathrooms, Impeccably clean grounds constantly maintained by staff.Security always seen and never needed.Pool and Pool bar great,Restaurants,Beach,lobby and Public Bathrooms all excellent.Ahhh here is a gripe...Between the Hotel and Cafe Del Mar is a sand cart path that has eroded from the rain,this is one area the hotel could shore up.

Summery This is one of the best values for the money that I have ever received from a vacation.If you plan on spending time at the beach and having drinks,you will pay for your A.I . fee several times over.Our bill for our days at the beach would have been over $100 a day easy.We will be returning to the PA the only question is how soon.We truly loved the Hotel,it`s staff and Facilities.If anybody has any question feel free to contact me.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank kevolution_12
PrivFD, Reception at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

We want to tell you how grateful we are for your reviews
We are very pleased to know that you had a nice stay with us and your recommendations will improve our staff motivation to work better day to day.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

If you read PA reviews like I did, this one wont surprise you. We had a wonderful time and for the right price would go back to Aluxes. The hotel is beautiful, the grounds are imaculate, the pool, rooms, spa, etc...are all four star. However, the person training the staff does not understand four star treatment of guests. The reason I blame it on the manager is because it is universally absent throughout the hotel. There are pockets of excellence, Jamie(bellman) understands four star hospitality! Most of the staff are just there doing thier job and dont really engage with guests. Not many smiles, no glad your here welcome, my wife described our check-in pretty well. "I felt like I was checking in to the Days Inn at midnight!" This isnt a reflection on the property, its really nice. Just the staff, they are not being trained properly! I know it can be done , weve been to several resorts in Mexico, some really have the first impression down to an art! Other than that, we had a great time. We are not the type to spend alot of time in the hotel anyway. We met lots of wonderful locals and snorkled every day. We did not buy the all inclusive and ate at many great places. Your have to try Olivia's and Mininos. The island has a cool laid back feel. and we will go back. I would recomend the hotel to a friend with the understanding that its a nice place to come back to after a day of enjoying the island. But dont pay too much $ thinking your going to get pampered.

Room Tip: 524 has a quite a bit of privacy for au'natural hot tubbing.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2Travelingforfun
PrivilegeIslaMujeres, Quality Control at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

We would like to thank you for reviewing Privilege Aluxes. On behalf of our management we apologize for not being able to exceed your expectations. We take notes of your remarks that are of tremendous assistance to improve our work. We definitely look forward to have you back visiting and give us the opportunity to pamper and provide you with excellence services. Thanks for sharing.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed on this property from 9/28/12-10/05/12. We arrived on the property at 5 in the evening. We went ahead and did the AI plan for convenience and the price was too good. We hardly left the property. Have stayed on the island twice before and have visited often. We were given a room looking out to the cemetery which we did not mind. However we wanted to be on a higher floor. They told us to come back in the morn and they would accommodate us. Next morn we went out for a walk on Hidalgo after breakfast. Did some strolling for a good while. It got warm so we decided to get some refreshments. Had a few and went back to PA. When we got back rm. 141 was waiting for us. We moved and from the balcony had an awesome view of the beach and ocean. Did the jacuzzi a few times which was nice and relaxing. Crew was awesome. Always on their toes and their feet. For what we asked they delivered. Food was good. Breakfast was always made with a smile. Jose at the omelet station did a great job. Did Cafe del Mar for most of our lunches and dinners. Never did Satay. Seafood buffet is not to be missed. Bar service was great but beer products were only Corona. I am not a big fan of Corona but made the best of it. We had a Superior rm. which was fine and accommodating for our needs and clean. Property is beautiful. Will be glad to return if possible in May.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of Superior rm. If you're like us, you only nap or sleep there. Ask for up...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HoleinoneDr

Thank you very much for your comments, we are very happy to know that you had received the best service.

We would love to have you as a regular guest. Waiting to have a new opportunity to welcome you to Privilege Aluxes

Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

We love privilige aluxes and are here often.. Would not recommend all inclusive unless u are big drinkers. The food has gone downhill. We eat in town most the time. The bar staff is amazing especially Ponce, miguel,jaime,idaieas, jorge, pedro. They always make us feel so welcome and like family. And they always remember us as soon as we walk in. The rooms are great from the standard 1 bedroom to the suites. Most amazing views and great place for pictures. And the BEST white sandy beach and crystall clear blue water

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank harlieman1

We are grateful for your preference in Privilege Aluxes and for sharing your experience with us.

We will take into consideration your comments in order to improve our work and we look forward to seeing you again soon.