“Nothing Special”
Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed July 9, 2011

To start with I should say that the staff where mostly friendly and helpful, the girl on reception Roxanna (I think that how she spelt it) was wonderful to deal with and Jesus also.

The hotel itself was as the title says, nothing special, Decent size rooms and bathroom, We were in the Superior w/ hot tub. The views were awful from Block 1, see attached photo's. If your planning a romantic evening on your balcanoy and a dip in your hot tub Dont expect any type of privacy!!! You will be overlooked from nearly every angel.

The breakfasts were lovely, nice selection of foods and all fresh. The dining room was laid out well too, If you sit near the windows overlooking the beach make sure to check your table for little bugs before you sit down.

The attached thai/Oriental restaurant doesnt have a wide selection to choose from and the food portions are tiny, I had the mixed satay and you get 2 pieces of chicken, pork, shrimp and beef on skewers. I have seen more meat on a cocktail sausage at the end of a tootpick before. I was still hungry when we left.

The beach cafe bar has live music nearly every night and all i can say is that its loud and the music is awful, the amount of classic songs that were killed by that band was shocking, I should have called the cops to report some murders!!!

If you do stay at this hotel here are some tips i would give from my experience:

1. Every night make sure not to forget to put the do not disturb sign on your door or at 8.45 housekeeping will be knocking to clean your room.

2. If your room has a conecting door to the room next to you then make sure its locked!! We had the do not disturb sign on our door and a guy walks in thru the connecting door while i'm lying on the bed. Also seen the handle being tried 3 more time during my stay.

3. Use the free safe, dont get lazy, See point 2!!!!!!

4. As another user here said, the stairway up and down to your room can be very noisy both in the morning and evenings.

5. The last ferry from Puerto Jueraz to the Island is 11.30pm, if you miss it hard luck, the next one is 6.30am. Also traffic around the clubs is very heavy at night time so give yourself lots of time to get back to the ferry. An hour at least.

6. The bar across the road "Jakks" does lovely well priced food the drink is cheap too. A buckect of corona was 60peso. that 6 USD or 4 Euro for 5 bottles. But it closes early like most of the bars on the island.

7. Take a trip to the hotel zone and see how your 5stars compare to the 5 stars in there, dont be shy, most of the hotels have sports bars and restaurants open to the public.

So overall it was a decent hotel but with nothing amazing or special that makes it stand out. There is no major flaws with the hotel but I wouldnt give it 5 stars,

1  Thank IrishTourist79

Reviewed July 8, 2011

Just got back today from staying at the Privilege Aluxes. Very easy check-in, room wasn't ready, we arrived at 1:00 and as check in isn't till 3, we weren't surprised but we were able to go have lunch and go to the beach. We had booked (with BOOKIT.COM) a superior double room but they gave us a Junior Suite! WOW!! Can't say enough about the suite, it was GORGEOUS! There is no lunch buffet, which at first surprised us but then we appreciated the nice meal we had. Incredible service and presentation! Beach is beautiful, lots of chairs and palapas but as mentioned in another post, there are boats going by and the party boat is right next to the Privilege's beach. Pools looked nice, we didn't go, spent time either on the beach or in our fabulous room! Had supper at Satai (I think that's the name, Thai restaurant) it was FABULOUS!! Delicious (was a bit worried because of the reviews) and the food presentation was incredible!! All in all, we had a great stay. My husband said he'ld go back. We were only there for 2 nites. I'm not sure that I wouldn't get tired of the food since for suppers there is 1 restaurant that's a buffet, 1 Thai restaurant and 1 other. I would like to have a greater choice if I was there longer. I would go back for a 2 or 3 day visit. Great in-room wi-fi :)

1  Thank tammyMontreal
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Privilege Aluxes is in the perfect location-very close to ferry, downtown, and gorgeous beaches. The island is small and laid back, but you will notice the locals working very hard. The hotel staff is exceptional: very kind and helpful. The front desk staff goes out of their way to assist in planning excursions, and even just giving helpful advice about the island. One morning they called down to the yoga studio at NaBalam hotel to get the schedule for me. (side note, if you enjoy ashtanga yoga, there are some very good classes at NaBalam in a beautiful raised palapa-worth it!)
The food at the hotel was pretty ordinary, with breakfast being the best choice. Lovely espressos each morning and delicious fruit and breads. Many hot choices and made to order items as well. We ordered some lunches by the pool to aid in digestion-so many delicious beachy drinks, as well as endless beer and cocktails. I loved the caipirinha drinks on the beach!
We tried the beach restaurant one night, very disappointed with the fish and sauce served with it. The sauce was firecracker red, white and blue and tasteless. We tried the main hotel for dinner and that was not memorable either. We didn't try the Asian restaurant as we soon discovered the endless possibilities on restaurant row a short walk from the hotel. We ate at many delicious restaurants, but sorry the names escape me, except for Olivia's (Mediterranean) which I recommend. If you go there, you will want a reservation for the courtyard, so call or stop by early. Even though we didn't enjoy the hotel dinners, we still felt that it was worth it for the breakfast and drinks alone. (We like a few espressos apiece in the morn, plus one in the late afternoon, so that alone tipped it in our favor, plus it was a nice touch not having to leave the hotel for a good espresso).
Overall, the look of the hotel is modern and clean and only felt busy while a huge Portuguese (or Brazilian?) family was in for a wedding. The men in the group were very spunky and took up a large portion of the beach...this was so not a deal breaker, but left us discussing the pros and cons of traveling with a large family! Needless to say, if I had to do it over again, I would consider getting married on this island!
We traveled in March and the weather was sunny and 80s everyday on the island. It did rain the evening of our last day, but not until we were walking home from Olivia's and it wasn't too far; however I did wish I had an umbrella at that moment. I hope that the hotel continues to maintain its property as I would love to travel back here year after year!

Room Tip: Book for a junior sweet-AI and upgrade for rooftop pool suite when you get there if available-totall...
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank afedmccormick
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed in a deluxe ocean-view suite and have no complaints about anything, the suite was huge and had a fantastic ocean view.
The food and service was outstanding at all of the restaurants,all of the hotel staff was great.
This was our second trip to Isla Mujeres and definitely won't be our last. We loved the hotel and am certain that we will be back soon.
The hotel location was perfect and close to everything we wanted. The hotel is compact and small, only around 125 rooms. We prefer smaller properties and this one was just right. It had a very laid back atmosphere and was very quiet, which we liked since we are old folks.
We made a special request about room location since I have difficulty walking long distances and they put us in the perfect room.
I'm trying to think of some negatives, but I can't!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ronfromramer
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My Husband and I stayed here last week and it was nothing nothing but wonderful. We are a young couple (mid-late 20s) that wanted a relaxing vacation and this was it! The staff is great and the property is well kept. Breakfast was great! Make sure you get an omlet at least once along with a glass of green juice or honey dew juice. There was never a problem finding a place to lounge on the beach and vendors walking along the beach did not hassle us. Everyone was pleasant and there was only one slight mix up that was handle quickly and with a smile. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who asks! If you get the chance, upgrade your room on the last night or two. It's worth it!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KLHUNT10
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband & I just got back from Isla Mujeres and had an amazing time. I'll break down my review into two parts - the hotel and the island itself.

The hotel: Privilege Aluxes was great overall. When we went it was nearly empty for some reason (the last day - July 4 - it started to get busy, however, and the pool filled up quickly). The facilities are clean, modern, and beautiful. The pool was warm (probably just because it was so hot outside) and the swim-up bar was great and not busy at all. The beach was superb. The hotel is located on a great part of the island - the water was the most beautiful turquoise and so calm! The roped-in area kept vendors away, but even when you left the roped-in area no one bothered you if you just said no thanks. Service was excellent everywhere - from front desk to the bars to the restaurants. One thing we had to get used to was waiting a long time to sign our check at each meal and after each round of drinks. That was a negative - we were all-inclusive so it got old having to wait around to sign our $0 check after everything. And at times the wait was excessive.

We had a standard room which was completely fine. Small and nothing fancy, but it was modern, clean, and functional. We were surprised it had a large balcony with Jacuzzi (but ended up not using it). We had room 411 and our view consisted of the school across the street and a small corner of ocean. It was fine. We kind of enjoyed seeing the cultural aspect of what was going on at the school. We knew we wouldn't be spending much time in the room so we didn't care to upgrade. One tiny complaint: the mattress was extremely hard! However, we slept like rocks, so I guess it didn't really matter. There were cards in the room stating you could request a softer mattress so that's an option. The fridge was well-stocked with Corona, sodas, water, juices, and snacks. We left one of our room key cards in the a/c unit so our room would stay cool all the time. Supposedly you have to pay to use Wi-fi in the room (we didn't try it) but there are two computers in the lobby with free access. You can even print for free.

The drinks at the bars and restaurants were pretty good and service was quick and friendly. The waiters at the pool and beach bars took good care of us and we certainly weren't big tippers (just a dollar or two here or there).

Now the down side...the food! I'm not at all a picky eater and can always find something I like wherever I go. We ended up not getting our money's worth at all because once we discovered that there were delicious little authentic restaurants nearby we ate away from the hotel several times. There were actually two times that we tried to go the "free" route and eat at the hotel, only to go straight across the street to another restaurant after finding the food to be terrible. At best, the food we ate at any of the hotel eateries (excluding Satay which we didn't try due to not getting reservations) was decent. The options they offered were strange at times. Even breakfast, which I think is hard to mess up, was substandard. I recommend not doing the all inclusive at PA because of the food, especially since there are SO MANY restaurants within short walking distance. Jax across the street, for example, has delicious chicken fajitas and coconut shrimp. Pick up a map from mapchick.com and scope them all out!

Island: The island, not the hotel, is what made this trip truly memorable! I didn't know if we would feel comfortable or safe leaving the resort, but we felt completely safe and at ease walking around the island. The locals were friendly and no one bothered us a bit. I definitely recommend renting a golf cart (you can rent at the hotel for $55/day or cheaper elsewhere) and just going to site-see. Again, get a map from mapchick.com and explore! I recommend the sea turtle conservancy and you MUST go to Punta Sur for amazing views!!

Airport shuttle: We went through Best Day Travel for our "airport to hotel" shuttle and were disappointed that it actually turned out to be "airport to ferry" which left us to pay for our ferry rides and to look for a way to get to the hotel from the ferry. Luckily, the ferry ride was only about $7/person each way and the hotel is only about a 5 min safe walk from the ferry. It still peeved me that the transport service was not complete, because at the time I didn't know the island would be safe to walk around it or how to get to the hotel. It turned out to be fine. Maybe I just read the description wrong for Best Day's services. Other than that, we had no complaints with them and would probably do so again.

Overall, an amazing vacation!!! I highly recommend the hotel - IF you don't go all-inclusive, though it sure was nice to have all those yummy drinks included! Will definitely return to Isla Mujeres though may not return to this hotel.

2  Thank hflyer06
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Service is hands down the most important thing for me and you will definitely feel at home at this resort. I did run into an issue at check-in, but Roxanne (head concierge) was nice enough to waive an extra fee for me due to some miscommunication with Orbitz, which was greatly appreciated. Everyone at the hotel was super nice and had a sincere smile on their face. You can tell they enjoy their jobs. Every morning at the breakfast Buffet in Sabor I would have the same waiter, Eddie, who always greated me like a ray of sunshine and was always very helpful. The hotel itself is beautiful, with walking distance from the ferry. I must say that the people of Isla Mujeres are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. It was kind if shocking to see that the natives even sleep with their doors open, which coming from NYC is a rare sight. I was hesitant about traveling to Mexico at first because of safety issues, but Isla has a wonderful atmosphere that makes you feel safe and at home.

• Stayed: June 2011