“Excellent authentic mexican meals on the isle”

Restaurant Brisa Mexicana
Ranked #167 of 228 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Cuisines: Barbecue, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Mexican Restaurant with a variety of traditional dishes such as Salads, Pizzas, Pastas, Burgers, Chicken, Grilled Whole Fish and Fish fillet, Seafood, Steakhouse, Beef. Surf and Turf, Big Steak Grill Plate and Big Sea Food Plate.Especialidades; Enchiladas, Fajitas, Tacos, Burritos, Stuf Chiles, Molcajete Steak, Quesadillas. National and International drinks. Wines Cava From Mexico, Chile, Itali and Argentina.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My partner and I had several wonderful experiences at Brisa Mexicana, over multiple visits to the restaurant in January 2012 and again in January 2013 during two wonderful visits to the isle. Recommend the spicy, tasteful shrimp skewers, and other seafood meals, any of the soups, or any of the other authentic mexican dishes. The waiter staff will point out the favorites on the menu if you ask. The meals were excellent, the atmosphere was fun and relaxed, and the staff attentive with their customers. Brisa enjoys a wonderful location on a corner of the main street on the isle. If you like people watching this is one of the better restaurants for that. If you stop, please say "hi" to Oscar for us, one of the waiters we enjoyed many conversations with as he shared a bit about his life on the isle. enjoy the laid back relaxing atmosphere... we miss it already...

1  Thank RK10

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We went there our first night on Isla. The food was ok but when the bill came there was an extra 10% added. When I asked what it was they said it was a tax. I told them I thought there was no tax in Mexico. He insisted it was a tax so I left a 15% tip on top of it. I talked to other restaurant owners and waiters and told them about the 10 %. They told me there was no tax and that we basically tipped them 25 % for an average meal and very mediocre service. We will never eat there again.

1  Thank Erin D
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We went to Brisa twice as we had a fantastic meal the first time.
I had the whole grilled red snapper and my husband had a Rib Eye steak ... both were absolutely delicious! The service was great. Very friendly and there was nothing at all we could complaint about. The margaritas were very nice. The second time I had Mayan Fish - which was a fillet of Grouper - that was great too. My husband had beef tacos and the meat was not as soft, but still tasty. If you go for tacos we have learnt that the best choice is generally the fish tacos - you can't go wrong.
They have a good deal on the drinks too. I loved the salsa they serve as an appetiser with tortilla chips. Will definitely try to make it at home now.
The highlight of the restaurant is - fish and steak.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was our first night on Isla; we were tired and hungry. The taxi dropped us off outside Brisa Mexicana and we just stayed. I ordered a Chelada and my husband ordered a Sol. The waiter asked if we wanted red or green sauce and I told him green. What a surprise I had when I got Enchilada Suiza rather than a glass of lime juice, ice, salt and beer. I told him we did not order Enchilada's and he said we did. We obviously had two waiters because the other had brought me a Chelada, so I was confused. I didn't want to argue, and I do like Enchilada Suiza, so I kept them. I must say, they were delicious!

We also ordered Quesa Fundido con Chorizo and it is our new favorite. Our local Mexican place had something similar, but definitely not as good as what you can get on Isla. We got it every night we were someplace that had it the rest of the trip.

I had the Fish Mayan and it was the best I had all week (and I had it three places!) My husband had been and it was ok, but not terrific. Although, Isla isn't really known for their beef, so he had no one to blame by himself!

Overall, service was good, food was good, atmosphere was good. It was good. If you are in Centro and just want to sit, it's as good a place as any.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Definitely try the Hungarian potatoes, like scalloped potatoes but better! Also had the Cobb salad which was huge, definitely more than enough to share with someone else