“Try the "Ella rus" sandwich.”
Review of Qubano Restaurant

Qubano Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 218 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Unique food on a street without cars and noise. Mt wife had a Cuban sandwich, which was too much for her to finish, while I had an "Ella Rus," which was honey baked ham, roast turkey, pickles, cheese, cream cheese and strawberry jelly on a warm hoagie roll. Really good.
Tried the watermelon water, which was a bit too sweet for me, but not my wife. Owner was personable.

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch while on a day trip from Cancun. Good food. Vivian the owner is all New York - so if you're ok with that - its all good. She took our orders, forgot to put in my wife's cordon bleu sandwich and chewed me out for driving my rented golf cart down the street. Having grown up in Jersey I felt right at home! She was great with the kids and easy to talk to. The food is very good. We had the trio of mini sandwiches. The Cuban is wonderful. One of my kids had the "sliders". Delicious. Goat cheese stuffed inside the burger. Awesome. Girls had the sweet frozen lemonade. My 4 year old had the off- menu chicken fingers. Flattened chicken breast that was breaded and fried and then sliced. Fit for an adult. The meal for the five of us with cokes and lemonsdex and a beer for me after starting with the Hungarian potatoes was 630 pesos. I'd go back.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

This restaurant brings the cuban culture to Mexico and has an amazing sense of flavor and style. Vivian the owner is someone of not the norm with her quirky style and openly conversations. It is a sense of relief to sit with someone as knowledgeable and willing to talk about Anything!!! The Cuban sandwich with its pulled pork is to DIE for I have NEVER had a sandwich as juicy just the thought of it makes me want more. You would have to be crazy to pass this up... Come to isle this is a must stop!!!

Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

We happened on Qubano while we were wandering around the island looking for lunch. We checked the menu and were intrigued by the burger. We started off with an order of of the papas frites (french fries) and they were amazing! I order the burger that was stuffed with goat cheese-delicious! My partner ordered the sliders; one stuffed with goat cheese, one with blue cheese & the third with Gouda. Everything was amazing and fairly priced. Great mojitos as well. Vivian, the owner was a delight! Thanks for a great lunch. We will definitely stop back when we return to Isla Mujeres.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

It's hard to tell which we love more--the great food at Qubano or the owner, Vivian, who is one of our favorite people on Isla. We first met Vivian at her old location two years ago. We had a very pleasant visit and liked her dry sense of humor from the very beginning. Vivian is “our kind of people.” Now that she's moved into larger digs, Qubano is open for dinner, but we prefer to visit for lunch when Vivian is there.

Naturally, we started with a round of watermelon water and the Hungarian Potatoes (50 pesos), a family heirloom recipe that we’ve attempted at home but messed up. We ordered two Vivian’s Salads (90 pesos each) to split. I couldn’t believe the salads that were put in front of us were half portions. I further couldn’t believe that the salad had thin strips of beets, my all-time least favorite food, but I ate every morsel. There were also tomatoes, cucumbers, carrot shavings, radishes and cheese. On top of all this, My wife and I split both a Cuban sandwich (a pressed combination of ham, roast pork, Swiss cheese and pickles, 80 pesos) and a Toston (grilled chicken and caramelized onion served between fried plantains instead of bread, 95 pesos). My parents shared a trio of mini-sandwiches: the Cubano, Toston and pulled pork (90 pesos). Stuffed to the gunwales, we protested that we could eat no more. I presume we were presented with a bill and that my father paid it. Otherwise, we owe Vivian for lunch. Hey V—we’re good for it.