“Cozy little place”

Hotel La Casona Real
Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in February from the 9th to the 19th and we thought it was a nice place for the money. Our room was small but had a large walk-in shower we had a king size bed that wasn't to hard by mexican standards. There wasn't a lot of room for storage but we made do, if the closet had some extra hangers and more shelves that would alleviate the storage problem. The A.C. worked great and we didn't have any of the noise problems or hot water problems reported by other post on this sight. It has a great location if you want to be where the entertainment is it's only a 4 block walk to the main plaza.There is a full grocery store right around the corner where you can get just about anything you need it also has an ATM, also there is a money exchange and a Pemex gas station just down the street and vehicle parking right out front of the hotel. I guess my only disappointment with the hotel was the pool and I don't know if it was because of the time of year or if it just never gets enough sunlight but the water was so cold you couldn't get in it. Everyone that worked there made us feel right at home and were very friendly they also have a small resturant and bar but we didn't use it, probably would have if we could have used the pool. All in all it's a great place to stay if you like traveling on a budget as far as a place for kids I I'm not sure about that because of the pool situation because there's not much to do during the day except shopping so with out the pool the kids might be bored or the cold water might not bother them.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mriles-Iowa

Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

If you're used to independent travel, this is a great value hotel. Easy 10min walk straight up from the ferry terminal. Half the rooms are pool side and half street side - which may be noisy. We had a pool side room which was clean, quiet and comfortable. My advice is check in as early as possible so you have a chance of changing your room if you get the one other travellers have complained about. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel is a con waiting to happen! I had booked my room through Hotels.Com, had it reserved and prepaid, yet when I arrived at the lobby to check in, they told me there was no availability. The woman at the front desk did not speak english, and in what I could understand, she was trying to tell me we were on our own and that there were more hotels down the road. I presented her the prepaid invoice, yet it did not seem to change her demeanor any. She finally made a call and we were led to a room...if you want to call it a room! The room reeked of mold and mildew, and the windows were barricaded with bars, making us feel like we were in a jail cell...we will NEVER consider this dump again and I urge all travellers to do the same...this hotel staff lies and cheats people, as they tried to do us!

Room Tip: If you go down the road to where the water taxi's leave for Playa Del Carmen, you'll have mu...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Hassan R
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel was a decent value. I stayed here with two friends for 4 nights December 7-10.
Pros:
--hot water
--decent beds
--great location (especially convenient to the supermarket "san francisco" and the delicious taqueria "El Pique"
--inexpensive for Cozumel when splitting the cost
--wifi
--pool
--friendly staff (very little English spoken though)
--very clean rooms
--A/C included
Cons:
--hot water was hot! and the shower was very testy
--couldn't get a wifi signal in the room (we were upstairs and the first room on the left)
--cockroaches running around at night
--room didn't have adequate ventilation
--restaurant attached to the hotel is sometimes open and sometimes not and the staff doesn't know when it opens. Don't count on being able to eat at the hotel.
--No shared kitchen

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank letitia2004
Reviewed November 23, 2012

we booked this hotel for two nights based on good reviews from tripadvisor and other sites. Our first room reeked of mold and mildew and I asked to switch rooms so we got an extremelly noisy second floor room (closest to the street), which also smelled musky. We had to sleep with the window open due to the airconditioner making the smell worse. I am highly sensitive to mold and mildew. Also at some point our water stopped working for several hours. We did not get a wink of sleep due to the street noise. Checked out a day early.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank valleylily
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Great value. Small clean hotel in town. Just walk straight off the ferry pier for 4-5 blocks. If your on a budget but still want a nice clean room then you should consider La Casona Real. It is close to the ferry dock and all of the water related activities.

Room Tip: Close to main Plaza. Hotel has a small pool and small restaurant for casual breakfast or lunch.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TEXASJLH
Reviewed September 22, 2012

A wonderful experience! Thanks for the great service and attention! Great location and prices! Highly recommended! The hotel is perfectly located near all the great shops and restaurants! When we come back to cozumel we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012