Secrets Aura Cozumel
Sunscape Sabor Cozumel(Cozumel)
Allegro Cozumel(Cozumel)
  • Pool
View Hotel
El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel(Cozumel)
  • Pool
4,065 results
All reviewssky barpreferred clubpreferred poolswim up roompreferred arearoom servicemarket cafebarefoot grillpreferred roomcoco cafemanatee barocean viewpool conciergefoam partysister resortfishportions are small
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed at Secrets Aura April 6-13 in a preferred ocean view room (831). The room was very aesthetically pleasing, but believe me you will find issues once you turn on the water. My wife tried to take a bath on the first night only to find the water to be a dark yellow color. I can assume it was hard water, but who knows. It was gross. Overall, the room was nice. The bed was comfortable. They offered several american channels and 2 TVs.
The resort itself has issues. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly is the problem but I think it starts with management. A Secrets employee put it best the resort is "a little bit disorganized especially the restaurants." We have stayed at several all inclusives around the world and this resort had by far the worst service.
I will end by saying it's not horrible, but not great.

2  Thank Cole_45
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Hi Cole_45,

Thank you for sharing your feedback through this mean. Your comments are truly valuable for us, as this allow us to improve our service levels and product.

We have taken your comments very seriously and you can be assured that the necessary re-training measures are being instituted to prevent recurrences in the future.

With this said, we look forward to have the opportunity of hosting you back on a renewed opportunity to redeem your confidence our resort and service.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed there from 3/31/2014-4/7/2014. Overall, it was a great experience. Here is my breakdown on everything:
1. Hotel Room: 2.5-3 stars. We booked standard room; preferred rooms (beach front) are exceptional since those are the newer rooms. our room was very clean.
2. Landscape and cleanliness: 4-5 stars
3. Services: 5 stars - people are amazing. They take your drink orders at the beach!
4. Restaurants/food/drinks: 4 stars. Food is quite Americanized. Bordeaux French Restaurant was exceptional. We enjoyed fresh squeezed juices at Market Cafe and fresh fruit. Cocktail drinks were the best!
I like to let management know they have an amazing staff. We enjoyed being served by our personal favorites: Joseph at Bordeaux (extremely professional and better service compared to any 5 star restaurants), Marcos (breakfast at Oceania - he makes us smile every morning we see him. he adds such a personal touch by making fresh habenero salsa for me), and Adrian/Humberto from Market Cafe (breakfast buffet). Thank you gentlemen!

Others:
- Beach: always clean! there are huge rocks once you enter the water so bring swim shoes.
- Scuba Diving: the hotel has good staff to book your dives.
- transportation: car rental for a week is cheap near airport (approx $125-$150) or daily scooter for $35+insurance=$58 at Sunscape hotel. Make sure you drive around the island - worth it.

It is not a place to go wild like Cancun (night clubs and bars galore). It's much more laid back - very relaxing and that was what I was looking for.

Room Tip: If you have the money, upgrade to beach front preferred rooms. If not, standard room is very clean and is fine too but don't expect beach front view. Swim lap rooms cost extra as well. Call hotel asap to get the rooms you want (swim lap, beach front, preferred, etc.) otherwise they will put you wherever.

Hi z-dumonde,

We appreciate you have taken the time to share such an enthusiastic review about your recent visit to Secrets Aura Cozumel. We are overjoyed to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay, specially cleanliness, rooms, services and staff.

Please be confident that we’ve shared your kind comments with our team as motivation to keep up with our commitment to offer truly remarkable experiences in our guests. We thank you on behalf of our team and Management.

We sincerely hope we can have the honor of being your hopes in not too distant future.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We spent a week at Secrets Aura in March and enjoyed everything except the food.

We are in our early 50's and have traveled extensively through the United States, Europe, Caribbean, Hawaii and South America.

We were so happy to be upgraded to a beachfront room in the preferred section upon a quick easy check in. The room was clean and right on the beach - second story, one room away from looking straight into the open air restaurant. So we had some privacy and beautiful views of the ocean which was great.

We did a great deal of research and read tons of reviews before deciding on this property, and felt that it was a good bet. My travel agent also said everyone loved it and we would too. I know that other travelers reading reviews want concise helpful info, so here it is....

pros: Great views, nice beach, good snorkeling from beach, great service and very, very nice friendly people. There is a wonderful woman named "Dena" who works at one of the concierge desks in the lobby. Dena is sweet, helpful and so knowledgeable...on her recommendations, we found a favorite snorkeling spot about 10 minutes up the coast and went to "Alfredo's" for our last evening's dinner. Alfredo's is a short taxi ride from the hotel and is a really fun restaurant with tables right on the sand by the water. They had amazing food, live music and very friendly waiters who took tons of pics for diners and made you feel so happy to be there. (We both wish we had known about Alfredo's earlier!) We got to watch a beautiful sunset and enjoy fantastic delicious food with the waves lapping a few feet away!

cons: food.
I mean - disgusting and inedible! Well presented on the plate, pretty and very nicely plated, but terrible tasting. We tried every restaurant on the property, and the Portofino Italian on the sister property next door and they were all awful! The second to last night of our stay, we went to Portofino out of desperation, thinking that there must be an edible meal somewhere.
We were so so hungry by this point (I lost 7 lbs in 5 days, not by choice), we were hopeful...but, no. The zucchini was literally all spotted and brown, and the broccoli was very pale anemic light yellow green and brown, there was a container of "meat" with pieces about as big as your hand, all a sickening light gray with strange pock marks throughout. We decided to try the 'fresh' pasta bar and ordered plain spaghetti with red sauce. Suffice it to say, a can of Spaghetti-o's would have tasted like a 5 star meal by comparison. This meal tasted like they combined ketchup and water and poured it over mushy over cooked over greased pasta.
We even tried room service one night after reading some good reviews on that. Tried to keep it simple. I ordered a cheese pizza and my husband ordered a grilled chicken breast - both were horrible/inedible.
We noticed that whether we ordered a lovely steak dinner at the french restaurant (awful onion soup and cream brulee that looked like dog food), or a burger on the beach, the meat involved was always some kind of grayish 1/4" 'thing' folded in half to appear like a real steak. Or hamburger. Huge disappointment across the board, especially since all food was pre-paid as all inclusive and it was about $30 taxi ride to town if you wanted to find edible food.
Also, as some other reviews mentioned, this property does not have any type of all day buffet available so unless you want to order room service, you basically go hungry and have no snacks or fruit or anything (except drinks, and we are not big drinkers) available until a scheduled mealtime.
By about day 5, I walked over to the lobby in the late afternoon and asked if I could just get some fresh fruit as I was totally starving out of my mind. They said no, it wasn't mealtime. I told them how disgusting the food was and that we were hardly able to eat anything at mealtimes anyway. I don't think they liked the fact that people just checking in were listening to our conversation, so they agreed to send some fruit to the room. They did, and it was delicious...but, hey, you can't live on nothing but fruit for a whole week, right?!

I must add that the one saving grace was the breakfast buffet. There were delicious fresh tropical fruit and juices. Good coffee. There was a yummy waffle bar and a beautiful lady with a fabulous smile that made me a couple of eggs over easy.

The last thing I want to say is about the partying vs quiet and relaxing aspects of the property.
We were looking for a relatively quiet romantic atmosphere. That's what you will find in the preferred section out by the beach. If you want constantly blaring music, 24/7 partying and foam parties etc.(think Cancun on spring break) head for the rooms toward the back of the place. Back by the rooms that have the water slide right into the pool with the bar. Loud, crazy and kind of wild - so if that's what you're looking for, that's where to find it.

What a split - fantastic on every count....except for the food, which was some of the worst I've ever tasted - anywhere!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Azurebluesea

Hi Azurebluesea,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Secrets Aura that you enjoyed the resort staff, hotel and accommodating service experience. As a hotel company we will continue to create wonderful guest experiences where personalized service is concerned in an effort to become a highly regarded resort in Cozumel.

We have taken your comments about the food very seriously and you can be assured that the necessary re-training measures are being instituted to prevent recurrences in the future.

Warm regards

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Let me start by saying we were married and spent our honeymoon at Secrets Capri. It was amazing and it was in 2006. Fast forward to 2014, several other trips to the Caribbean, Mexico, Italy and US destinations. We are foodies and craft drink hunters. In 2006 at Capri, we were amazed at the quality and variety for a Caribbean/Mexican resort. I booked this trip as a surprise birthday gift for my wife who has been in need of a beach/relaxation vacation. And with my memory of Secrets Capri, I knew it to be a no-brainer to not even think twice about booking another Secrets resort….well, maybe not such a no-brainer. I will break it down in groups and offer my commentary:

Check in-
Went smoothly, although our room not ready, so the front desk manager promised me she was giving me an upgrade to the preferred section if I could please wait. Of course, no problem, she even said she would transfer our bags and find us on the beach in a few hours and escort us to our room. This worked out great, as we had what I am guessing is the oldest part of the preferred section, as it was not painted as all the other new preferred section was. Room was fine, bathroom small and not well lit, a soft spot in the tub/shower floor, but all in all great, we are never really in our room on vacation anyway, so we were more than happy. Plus it was facing the beach and in the middle of the entire resort.

Beach-
Is nice, water is crystal clear. However do not look past the other comments about needing water shoes. I am a confident swimmer and water worshipper, so none of this affected me until the last day when we had rougher water. You DO need to walk through rocks and coral to get to the sandy areas. My wife not being so eager to get in the water had to wear my sneakers to come in with me. This includes the awesome idea of the hammocks in the water, you need shoes to get to them and to get back to the beach from them. A fun option is to jump off the pier and swim back, this way you only have to “accomplish” the rocks once. I do love the idea of not interrupting nature and I do not care that I was hanging out with all sorts of fish and sting rays, you a lazy beach goer (like my wife) will not appreciate this. Also it was nice for me, because I had the sea to myself for most of the day with the addition of a few snorkelers here and there.

Property-
Is nice, not Secrets Capri nice, but old and a work in progress. If you are not overly critical (like me) it is fine, just relaxing and great to be away and on the beach!

Bars/bartenders-
Here it starts…a disaster. (Preface-I am relaxed and easy going, I never let servers anywhere know my disappointment and always thank people, just how I was raised) They have all “the top shelf” liquor you can expect. You can ask for it. Funny thing is, the bartenders try to hide from you the idea that although you asked for Don Julio, he is pouring in your glass the house tequila. I truly do not understand this. If you are working in the service industry, why not give the customer what they ask for? A tip will come your way. (Although it is all inclusive-they are still looking for tips) Also, when a bottle was empty, they would just say no more. Instead of calling or running for another bottle. (Which I seem to remember at other resorts, including Capri.) By the second night the bartender in the preferred bar settled down and would actually make my drink the way I asked and was happy to learn. Problem is, unless you want to sit around by yourself and watch TV or play chess, there is no atmosphere in there, so it was typically one good cocktail before dinner and then deal all the other BAD bartenders everywhere else. Another ok bartender was at the Sky Bar. Great idea, up top to watch the sunset. Problem is, he is alone, and he has one bottle of everything, most were never full bottles and again he would run out every night and there was no way for him to get any more before tomorrow!!!! Beside those two, there is not a bartender worth employing on the resort.

Restaurants/servers-
Even worse. A lack of enthusiasm and fun loving character (same as the bartenders) that makes me constantly tell people to visit Mexico. I love the people, that is half the reason I have spent more than half of my life’s vacations in Mexico. The people are awesome, love to have a good time, love to serve you, and until now I believed loved life. I seriously felt like they imported people from some other place to work this resort). In Windows, Marcos and Zitaly were good. Done!!!! The rest should NOT be in the service industry, especially an all-inclusive “Luxury” resort! They NEVER get you what you order. We saw people every day in every venue get mad, make a scene and then leave after waited for food (or drinks) that they order which never came. My fun example was at breakfast one morning, I ordered yogurt, granola and fruit. Out came yogurt, 20 minutes later, now warm yogurt, came a fruit plate with a “dusting” of soggy granola on it. We flagged down a running server and ask for a touch more granola, she said sure, never came, 15 min later asked again, sure she said, never came. I was there for the beach and water, so I could not wait another hour. The variety is horrible. Same menu at the same 2 restaurants day after day again. We had to leave the resort and go to Kondesa and Kinta. (Which we highly recommend-best Mexican meals ever). Additionally, we do not eat buffets. That was an option, but we would rather spend money on quality and proper local food than eat a buffet. Why serve salmon in the Caribbean? It is on the menu, it is not local or fresh for that matter. PLEASE just have local fresh fish of any type. A word of advice, go to the sister property to El Patio and meet Rolando. He is BY FAR the best employee on both properties combined! He could run circles around all the other servers and bartenders at both resorts. I could go on and on.

All in all, I loved being on the beach and in the water. I think we are grounded enough to know what to expect and having a 2006 trip to Secrets Capri may have set expectations that this resort cannot hold. Maybe our food, drink and service expectations are too high, maybe travelling around to some of the best restaurants in the US and Italy have spoiled us. Not sure why, but this was clearly a huge disappointment for us and I really wish it was not. I think a few little things like better service, quality drinks and a varied menu, more local fish could have made this better for us.
If you have any questions please contact me, I would be happy to explain anything to you.

Room Tip: New preferred section
2  Thank JOHN_a_2626

Hi JOHN_a_2626,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed,however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at resort.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed ay Aura swim up room just to say that we had a wonderful time staff was great and the food was very good and the Mexican Flag drinks where very good will be going back.we had booked a ocean view room and got upgrade to a preferred room swim up which was great

Room Tip: the swim up rooms are the best
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Bill R

Hi Bill R,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to our destination. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our service. We have strived to deliver the most memorable experience to our valued guest. We highly appreciate your gracious comments here and have shared it with our team.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.