“Resort is nice but has a few problems that need resolved”

Secrets Aura Cozumel
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I just stayed at Secrets Aura from April 6th-12th. Overall property is very nice. Everything is clean with friendly staff. Beach is also very nice. I believe there a water pressure problem at this resort. I had read reviews before my trip about losing pressure during showers. This happened to me twice. During the middle of a shower all of sudden cold and hot water completely stopped. When I called about problem I was told they would call maintenance but I believe that is standard answer they give. Also when exhaust fan was running in bathroom, it seemed to omit a foul oder. Unfortunately during vacation these are not the problems you want to encounter but if they can be resolved this is a very nice resort and you should be able to have a great vacation.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Hi Rich C,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed; it is a pleasure to us that our guest enjoyed their stay with us, we are all the time trying to please to our guest, We appreciate your objectivity and I can assure you that we take our customer feedback very seriously and we have made changes for a more positive customer experience.

Please accept our apologies it is certainly not our intention to disappoint our guests.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed at Secrets Aura for 3 nights in one of their basic king bed rooms. While not amazing, I think this is one of the better hotels in Cozumel. Here's the thing, though: It's Cozumel, and you have to adjust your expectations accordingly. This won't be as nice as other Secrets properties in the Caribbean or other resorts of the same caliber. Cozumel is an older tourist destination and the hotel shows the age accordingly. It's nicer than other places I've stayed on the island and I think the beach area and multiple pools offer something for everyone. (Some of the pools are more of a party atmosphere, others were more laid-back) Like other reviewers mentioned, we had some problems with our water pressure during peak hours and calls to the front desk were ignored. We had to beg a little to get our minibar filled (eventually just going to a bartender and giving him a tip to give us plenty of beers and waters to fill it up) and room service was slow and not at all great. We enjoyed the fish tacos and ceviche at Windows/Oceania (they have the same menu) for lunch -- it tasted like real fresh Mexican and not Tex-mex made for gringos. We ate dinner one night at Bordeaux and found it underwhelming to say the least. The rest of the nights, we took a rental car and went into town for some hole-in-the-wall authentic food. A lot of people paying for an all-inclusive don't want to do that, but we felt like it was worth it and got pretty sick of the food after 24 hours there. The bartenders were all friendly and did their best to make us whatever we ask for, top shelf included. All in all, we got maybe slightly less than what we expected: The photos make the resort seem a little nicer than it is, but we knew what to expect when considering all inclusive resorts at this price point.

Room Tip: We were in the very back of the hotel and it was a pain to go grab something from the room when at t...

Hi Sara78412,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Secrets Aura. As a hotel company we will continue to create wonderful guest experiences.

Thank you for your suggestions on how we can make our hotel even better, I have passed these comments along to Management for further review.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 4-night stay at Secreta aura Cozumel and we could not have been more impressed with the resort. The service was incredible the staff was super friendly and accommodating and really made the vacation. The room was clean and had so many amenities. We were upgraded from a pool view room to an ocean view room with a rooftop deck and private pool which was a great surprise. We loved having cocktails at the sky bar each night as well as dinif at Oceana and Bordeux. We will absolutely be going to a secrets resort on our next Caribbean vacation!

• Stayed: April 2014

Hi Valerie1016,

Thank you for choosing Secrets Aura Cozumel as your host and taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are thrilled to hear that your vacation was wonderful and that you were pleased with the service of our relaxing atmosphere, service, cleanliness of rooms. Our team is always trying to ensure that we surpass the expectations of each guest so your review served as our reward. To this end, it was encouraging to hear you acknowledge those aspects of our product.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Just returned from a wonderful trip to Aura on April 4-9. We were supposed to arrive on the 3rd but had travel problems, resort gladly extended our stay until the 9th at no charge so that we would get our entire booked stay. We stayed in room 222 in the preferred section and found it to be wonderful, no complaints. We found the staff to be friendly and attentive ( although slightly understaffed, it was not a problem ). The beach and the pools were very good, easy to get drinks, all in all they were great. While I have read all the negative reviews on the food ( I guess everyone has different taste ) we found the food to be quite good, and you could get as much as you wanted so how could you complain about portion sizes being to small. We also went to dinner at several different times in the evening ,from 6:00 to as late as 9:00 and only had to wait once for about 10 minutes. Service was good and the wait time for the food was not that long. For the most part we went, ate, and were back in our room sooner than a lot of these reviewers reported was the wait for a table. Some people you can just not please. So in closing ( while I to was concerned about all the bad reviews before coming) we found them to be completely unfounded. We would come back to this resort in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it to anyone. Thanks, and if you go to Aura, I'm sure you will have a great time!!

Room Tip: Newer preferred club rooms all appear to have very nice ocean views.
4  Thank Jeff P

Hi Jeff P,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

I was delighted that you’ve enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. As are our regular practice, we’ve been happy to share your lovely remarks to our team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests only receive the very best in service.

We look forward to have the pleasure of having you back home in the near future.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

First of all I want to start this review by saying that I have traveled quite a bit in Mexico and the Caribbean. I have been to other secrets resorts, including Secrets Maroma Beach. I was very nervous about going to this resort because of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor. I get to go on one vacation and I try to make sure I choose wisely. I am so happy I didn't go to another resort. I was at Aura from March 30th through April 5th. I went with another teacher friend and after a horrible Chicago winter this resort really hit a home run! We stayed in preferred room 812 which had a great view of the pool and was just a few steps from the beach. We were treated like royalty from the minute we arrived. The room was drop dead gorgeous, with plenty of room. The air conditioning was great, always nice and cool. Our room was cleaned daily and our mini bar was also stocked daily. We made sure to leave a couple of dollars daily for housekeeping and the mini bar guy. Believe me people these people work hard! One day our room wasn't cleaned until about 3:00 but who cares, we were out at the pool or beach anyway! You're on vacation!

We never had a bad meal. One day our lunch service was a bit slow, but once again, you are in Mexico, on an island, no worries. We usually ate lunch in Oceana, either off the menu, or from whatever they were cooking on the beach. Thursdays catch of the day was exceptionally good, as we're the fish tacos. We also enjoyed the grilled salmon at Windows and the Salmon and beef at Bordeaux. Room service was quick and every night we enjoyed the caprese salad along with some ice cream. We went into town Saturday night and ate at Casa Mission which was good as well. Saturday night in San Miguel is lots of fun and completely safe.

We did a water lily wrap at the spa that was really relaxing and hydrating. There are daily specials and we used our coupons, which we received at checkin. No sales pitch at all! The spa is really first class.

I think one reason that I really enjoyed this resort was because of the enthusiastic staff. They work hard and they always have a smile on their face. I would like to thank Cynthia at the front desk, Beatrice at the Market Cafe, Fernando at the front (he always ready with the golf cart to take us were we wanted to go), Jose and Elena at the preferred pool, and Marco, the manager who always took the time to talk and ask how things were going. I will say I always had dollar bills handy, once again the people at the resorts work really hard trying to please a variety of different people.

Finally, another reason that I really enjoyed this trip was that there were people of all ages, from 20's to 70's. if you wanted more excitement you could go to the activity pool. I enjoyed just laying at the pool or beach. We met many wonderful people who were fun and easy to talk to. There wasn't a lot of loud music or drunk teenagers walking around. You just got to look at the beautiful sea, enjoy the sun, recharge and relax.

I am already planning a return trip to this resort. If you are a laid back person who enjoys water, sun and food I think Secrets Aura is a perfect fit. If you are someone who has to constantly be entertained, be on your phone, and are hard to please, don't wreck it for others.

Room Tip: Preferred is all remodeled and very Zen like.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Travelgal2015
SusczeConcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Hi Travelgal2015,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to our destination. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our service. We have strived to deliver the most memorable experience to our valued guest. We highly appreciate your gracious comments here and have shared it with our team.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Just got back from a seven day Vacation at Secrets in Cozumel. Room 4111 and 1124. Two middle aged couples that are young for thier age with average income. We are from Illinois and take a vacation every 6 months to a warmer climate usually with a beach. We have been to Cozumel many times on Cruise ships but have never spent the night. Here is my opinion.
I believe there are 2 kinds of people, glass half full, glass half empty. We are glass half full kinda people, which is why I am taking the time to write this review because I think some of the harsh comments are undeserved. Some people buy the ticket to get into the zoo and are upset the whole time because they can't control the animals. We all agreed we got more than we paid for.
Yes the shower water screwed up sometimes. It depends when you showered during the high volume time or not. We run into this nearly everywhere (in mexico). Things broke, sometimes we didn't get something we asked for, sometimes service was slow. We find this everywhere we go for this amount of money. It all depended on time of day you needed your wish granted.
Here is the reality; Food was good. Room service menu was one of the best i've seen. Everything was open at the advertised times. Our room was nice. Drinks were excellent. Beer choices were Dos Equis Lager Draft/can/bottle, Dos Equis Amber bottle, Tecate can, Tecate Light can, Sol Can. Not all of these were available everywhere, depends where you were at. Most of the time they would run an get you whatever you desire. The beer thing was important to me, is why I elaborated. As far as service was concerned... I have never seen an entire staff of people more concerned for our happiness in my entire life, period. The front desk, room service, your maid, the guy that fills your fridge, the cooks, waiters, entertainment crew, maintenance, the scooter rental guy, the guy that pours the water, EVERYONE is concerned for your happiness at all times! Sometimes they are busier than others and sometimes mistakes are made... they are human.
Would we go back? Absolutely!
I hope this helps you decide.

Room Tip: In our opinion, the "preferred" option, didn't appear to be worth the money. The only...
4  Thank Jay B

Hi Jay B,

We were really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel and that you were particularly pleased with the service, staff, the restaurants and rooms Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Secrets Aura Cozumel and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed at Secrets Aura from 3/31-4/6 and had a great time at a beautiful resort.
We arrived at the hotel and were immediately greeted with chilled cloths and glasses of
champagne (they certainly know the way to my heart!).
The check-in process was very easy, our room was not ready yet but they took our bags
and my husband & I took a stroll around, got a margarita (best ever!) and then lunch...
by the time we finished the room was ready... we were in the 4121... great corner room overlooking the pool. We loved our room, very clean and spacious with a nice porch and hammock. Our stay was great... the service was always friendly and although sometimes there
was a wait for dinner in the restaurants, once seated we were always fed very promptly. The food is good, not great, but in my experience it was normal for a resort of that size. We stayed mostly by the swim up bar pool and each day the staff would put out a lunch buffet by the pool...it was usually either burgers or fajitas but just enough that we didn't have to leave the pool area... very convenient . The resort is beautiful and the staff are very accommodating... If you need anything at all just ask. We did smell the sewage but it seemed to be just in the area towards the preferred rooms. This is a tropical island and I'm sure Secrets is doing the best they can to work on it. We were worried after reading so many mixed reviews but we didn't have any negative experiences at all. My only suggestion is that Secrets monitors the pool floats ...LOL.. we noticed hotel guests would hold on to them all day even when they weren't using them and at the end of the day they would actually take them back to their rooms.. there aren't too many of them so it would be nice if guests would be considerate of other guests or Secrets should start charging a daily fee. The other suggestion is having a cafe near the coco cafe that has pizza or sandwiches available all day/late night for people who don't necessarily want a formal dinner. We had a great dinner at El Patio at Sabor next door... I highly recommend it! Sky Bar is nice but seems like it is still not finished... not enough seats and tables up there, but a nice atmosphere. We had some great activities... the beach party the first night was the best!!! The foam party at the pool was a lot of fun. We tried to make it through Karaoke but it was hard to stay up that late. Ohhh... and Bingo at the pool bar was fun too. We would certainly recommend this resort THANKS SECRETS... Hopefully we will be back soon.

Room Tip: Everyone has their own opinion of the best room... it seems like everyone liked "their" ro...
1  Thank HappyCampah