“Not sure where some of you were.....”

Secrets Aura Cozumel
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Just returned from a wonderful trip to Aura on April 4-9. We were supposed to arrive on the 3rd but had travel problems, resort gladly extended our stay until the 9th at no charge so that we would get our entire booked stay. We stayed in room 222 in the preferred section and found it to be wonderful, no complaints. We found the staff to be friendly and attentive ( although slightly understaffed, it was not a problem ). The beach and the pools were very good, easy to get drinks, all in all they were great. While I have read all the negative reviews on the food ( I guess everyone has different taste ) we found the food to be quite good, and you could get as much as you wanted so how could you complain about portion sizes being to small. We also went to dinner at several different times in the evening ,from 6:00 to as late as 9:00 and only had to wait once for about 10 minutes. Service was good and the wait time for the food was not that long. For the most part we went, ate, and were back in our room sooner than a lot of these reviewers reported was the wait for a table. Some people you can just not please. So in closing ( while I to was concerned about all the bad reviews before coming) we found them to be completely unfounded. We would come back to this resort in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it to anyone. Thanks, and if you go to Aura, I'm sure you will have a great time!!

Room Tip: Newer preferred club rooms all appear to have very nice ocean views.
4  Thank Jeff P
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Hi Jeff P,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

I was delighted that you’ve enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. As are our regular practice, we’ve been happy to share your lovely remarks to our team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests only receive the very best in service.

We look forward to have the pleasure of having you back home in the near future.

Warm regards

There are newer reviews for Secrets Aura Cozumel

Reviewed April 13, 2014

First of all I want to start this review by saying that I have traveled quite a bit in Mexico and the Caribbean. I have been to other secrets resorts, including Secrets Maroma Beach. I was very nervous about going to this resort because of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor. I get to go on one vacation and I try to make sure I choose wisely. I am so happy I didn't go to another resort. I was at Aura from March 30th through April 5th. I went with another teacher friend and after a horrible Chicago winter this resort really hit a home run! We stayed in preferred room 812 which had a great view of the pool and was just a few steps from the beach. We were treated like royalty from the minute we arrived. The room was drop dead gorgeous, with plenty of room. The air conditioning was great, always nice and cool. Our room was cleaned daily and our mini bar was also stocked daily. We made sure to leave a couple of dollars daily for housekeeping and the mini bar guy. Believe me people these people work hard! One day our room wasn't cleaned until about 3:00 but who cares, we were out at the pool or beach anyway! You're on vacation!

We never had a bad meal. One day our lunch service was a bit slow, but once again, you are in Mexico, on an island, no worries. We usually ate lunch in Oceana, either off the menu, or from whatever they were cooking on the beach. Thursdays catch of the day was exceptionally good, as we're the fish tacos. We also enjoyed the grilled salmon at Windows and the Salmon and beef at Bordeaux. Room service was quick and every night we enjoyed the caprese salad along with some ice cream. We went into town Saturday night and ate at Casa Mission which was good as well. Saturday night in San Miguel is lots of fun and completely safe.

We did a water lily wrap at the spa that was really relaxing and hydrating. There are daily specials and we used our coupons, which we received at checkin. No sales pitch at all! The spa is really first class.

I think one reason that I really enjoyed this resort was because of the enthusiastic staff. They work hard and they always have a smile on their face. I would like to thank Cynthia at the front desk, Beatrice at the Market Cafe, Fernando at the front (he always ready with the golf cart to take us were we wanted to go), Jose and Elena at the preferred pool, and Marco, the manager who always took the time to talk and ask how things were going. I will say I always had dollar bills handy, once again the people at the resorts work really hard trying to please a variety of different people.

Finally, another reason that I really enjoyed this trip was that there were people of all ages, from 20's to 70's. if you wanted more excitement you could go to the activity pool. I enjoyed just laying at the pool or beach. We met many wonderful people who were fun and easy to talk to. There wasn't a lot of loud music or drunk teenagers walking around. You just got to look at the beautiful sea, enjoy the sun, recharge and relax.

I am already planning a return trip to this resort. If you are a laid back person who enjoys water, sun and food I think Secrets Aura is a perfect fit. If you are someone who has to constantly be entertained, be on your phone, and are hard to please, don't wreck it for others.

Room Tip: Preferred is all remodeled and very Zen like.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Travelgal2015
SusczeConcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Hi Travelgal2015,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to our destination. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our service. We have strived to deliver the most memorable experience to our valued guest. We highly appreciate your gracious comments here and have shared it with our team.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Just got back from a seven day Vacation at Secrets in Cozumel. Room 4111 and 1124. Two middle aged couples that are young for thier age with average income. We are from Illinois and take a vacation every 6 months to a warmer climate usually with a beach. We have been to Cozumel many times on Cruise ships but have never spent the night. Here is my opinion.
I believe there are 2 kinds of people, glass half full, glass half empty. We are glass half full kinda people, which is why I am taking the time to write this review because I think some of the harsh comments are undeserved. Some people buy the ticket to get into the zoo and are upset the whole time because they can't control the animals. We all agreed we got more than we paid for.
Yes the shower water screwed up sometimes. It depends when you showered during the high volume time or not. We run into this nearly everywhere (in mexico). Things broke, sometimes we didn't get something we asked for, sometimes service was slow. We find this everywhere we go for this amount of money. It all depended on time of day you needed your wish granted.
Here is the reality; Food was good. Room service menu was one of the best i've seen. Everything was open at the advertised times. Our room was nice. Drinks were excellent. Beer choices were Dos Equis Lager Draft/can/bottle, Dos Equis Amber bottle, Tecate can, Tecate Light can, Sol Can. Not all of these were available everywhere, depends where you were at. Most of the time they would run an get you whatever you desire. The beer thing was important to me, is why I elaborated. As far as service was concerned... I have never seen an entire staff of people more concerned for our happiness in my entire life, period. The front desk, room service, your maid, the guy that fills your fridge, the cooks, waiters, entertainment crew, maintenance, the scooter rental guy, the guy that pours the water, EVERYONE is concerned for your happiness at all times! Sometimes they are busier than others and sometimes mistakes are made... they are human.
Would we go back? Absolutely!
I hope this helps you decide.

Room Tip: In our opinion, the "preferred" option, didn't appear to be worth the money. The only...
4  Thank Jay B

Hi Jay B,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We were really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel and that you were particularly pleased with the service, staff, the restaurants and rooms Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Secrets Aura Cozumel and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed at Secrets Aura from 3/31-4/6 and had a great time at a beautiful resort.
We arrived at the hotel and were immediately greeted with chilled cloths and glasses of
champagne (they certainly know the way to my heart!).
The check-in process was very easy, our room was not ready yet but they took our bags
and my husband & I took a stroll around, got a margarita (best ever!) and then lunch...
by the time we finished the room was ready... we were in the 4121... great corner room overlooking the pool. We loved our room, very clean and spacious with a nice porch and hammock. Our stay was great... the service was always friendly and although sometimes there
was a wait for dinner in the restaurants, once seated we were always fed very promptly. The food is good, not great, but in my experience it was normal for a resort of that size. We stayed mostly by the swim up bar pool and each day the staff would put out a lunch buffet by the pool...it was usually either burgers or fajitas but just enough that we didn't have to leave the pool area... very convenient . The resort is beautiful and the staff are very accommodating... If you need anything at all just ask. We did smell the sewage but it seemed to be just in the area towards the preferred rooms. This is a tropical island and I'm sure Secrets is doing the best they can to work on it. We were worried after reading so many mixed reviews but we didn't have any negative experiences at all. My only suggestion is that Secrets monitors the pool floats ...LOL.. we noticed hotel guests would hold on to them all day even when they weren't using them and at the end of the day they would actually take them back to their rooms.. there aren't too many of them so it would be nice if guests would be considerate of other guests or Secrets should start charging a daily fee. The other suggestion is having a cafe near the coco cafe that has pizza or sandwiches available all day/late night for people who don't necessarily want a formal dinner. We had a great dinner at El Patio at Sabor next door... I highly recommend it! Sky Bar is nice but seems like it is still not finished... not enough seats and tables up there, but a nice atmosphere. We had some great activities... the beach party the first night was the best!!! The foam party at the pool was a lot of fun. We tried to make it through Karaoke but it was hard to stay up that late. Ohhh... and Bingo at the pool bar was fun too. We would certainly recommend this resort THANKS SECRETS... Hopefully we will be back soon.

Room Tip: Everyone has their own opinion of the best room... it seems like everyone liked "their" ro...
1  Thank HappyCampah
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Just returned from Cozumel on th 9th April, and I must say we had a great time. My Partner and I were please with this resort. We don't ask for much besides a nice room and friendly staff..well we got them both. We stayed in the preferred area which was awesome. We got a new bottle of tequila every day, along with a restock of the mini bar...no charge. The swim up bar was cool...very relaxing. I was a little worried from reading some of the bad reviews, but not here.
They even decorated my room for my b-day..very nice touch. And if you get bored on the resort grounds, you can take the taxi to downtown. The ferry to Playa del Carmen is only 25min away. Thanks again Secrets. Bryant.

Room Tip: Use the preferred side and Spa.
1  Thank Bryant S

Hi Bryant S,

Thank you for choosing Secrets Aura Cozumel as your host and taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are thrilled to hear that your vacation was wonderful and that you were pleased with our staff and accommodation .Our team is always trying to ensure that we surpass the expectations of each guest so your review served as our reward. To this end, it was encouraging to hear you acknowledge those aspects of our product.

Warm regards

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful, relaxing stay with breath taking views of the ocean. Quaint, smaller resort (60+ rooms) which lends itself to a more personalized feel from the staff. Still within walking distance of great restaurants and a spa.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Sully1200

Hi Sully1200,

We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you. Your comments about our services, room and staff.

We look forward to welcoming you home again soon and hope you will not hesitate to spend another wonderful vacation in paradise at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We were booked to stay at Sunscape Sabor next door to Secrets Aura. We kept reading bad review after bad review. We went with an open mind and determination to have a great trip. With that in mind, we get to the resort on March 29th and they could not find our reservation but after a few minutes, we were told they did not have a room for us, but would be transferring us next door to Secrets Aura. We were excited. We had a huge room with a great bed and a balcony overlooking a pool and the beach. We had great service from Vicki the waitress around the pool area, Hector, Jesus, Sergio, and I know I am going to spell his name wrong, but he never stood still long enough for me to jot it down - Margarino??? the waiters, Lewis (???) at the lobby bar, and Brandon the towel boy. I almost forgot to mention our maid Martha. I lost one of my diamond earrings. We looked everywhere. We went down to the pool and when we came up at the end of the day, there laid my earring by the bathroom sink. Not sure where she found it, but we made sure the front desk, her supervisor, and Martha were aware of her good deed. These people always went out of their way with a smiling face and comments. The food was a complaint in many other reviews, not sure what people were complaining about. The guys in our group would have liked to have been given more food but it was all very good. Since we were at Secrets, we could venture next door to Sunscape. Their eating establishments were very good. Loved the buffet breakfast. If you go to Secrets Aura, be sure to go up to the Skye Bar and experience the beautiful sunsets. I only have two wishes: we had such a great time last year at Secrets the Vine with their awesome entertainment crew and activities, we wish this resort would look at doing some of the same activities. My other issue, there were not enough bathrooms near the pools and people would come off the beach and wash their feet off in the pool - that is WRONG.

Room Tip: We were in room 1027. Awesome
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cmonks59

Hi cmonks59,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Secrets Aura that you enjoyed the resort staff, hotel and accommodating service experience. As a hotel company we will continue to create wonderful guest experiences where personalized service is concerned in an effort to become a highly regarded resort in Cozumel.

Thank you for your suggestions on how we can make our hotel even better, I have passed these comments along to Management for further review.