“Wonderfully relaxing vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Austin, TX
“Wonderfully relaxing vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

This was my second stay at the Aura. The improvements in the last year are impressive. I realize that they have a problem with sufficient staff due to the popularity of the island, the many hotels there and the availability of English speaking staff. The Aura does an amazing job, not only in the appearance of the hotel but their staff has to be the best on the island. You are constantly being cheerily greeted even by the young men cleaning the beach! One particular waiter has to be mentioned - Margarito Santos. He is so good he remembered us from last year, remembered who drank coffee, tea and Diet Coke for breakfast. An extremely good ambassador for the Aura. But, everyone there has come a long way since the takeover. The new Market Cafe buffet is a good idea but the food can be hit and miss. I had no problems but a few in my group did. Best hamburger on the beach!!!! Love, love, love this hotel and staff!!! Hope we can return next year!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank DeeDeeAustin_TX
SusczeConcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Hi Darlene Derosier Sierra Robertson,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We were really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel and that you were particularly pleased with the service and staff. Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Secrets Aura Cozumel and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,325)
  • Hebrew first
Butler, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I have stayed at Secrets in Jamaica and Punta Cana and love the Secrets resorts. This resort will be a great place if they work to get it to the same level as the other Secrets resorts. Let me first thank Antonio Padilla in reservations for arranging our room upgrade and helping us get our party of 10 together in the same building. He is an asset to Secrets! I loved the Jr Swim up room and the room was clean, did not smell and the bed was pretty comfy. I loved being able to open my sliding door and take a few steps to the water! I loved the water slides and the way the 4000 rooms could get in the pool and take the waterslide to the pool bar for a drink. The service at the bar was awesome and they work really hard to get you everything you need. We even got to order club sandwiches and they were not on the menu for the pool bar! The sky bar was awesome, nice place to relax. Desires lounge is a great place to go. Some of the reviews were saying it is "disco", which was not true! We went every night and they did play some of the same songs, but one night it was mostly older rock like Journey & Seger, ACDC , music that you could sing and dance to. The other night it was most new dance music. Another night it was a mix. The bartenders, Jesus and Izzy were awesome. Izzy was the most entertaining employee at Secrets. He would sing and make jokes and made us laugh. The lobby bar had some great tequila, one day it was cinnamon and another strawberry. I was disappointed that you could not get Dos Equis cans unless you ordered room service. I don't drink draft beer so thank god I took a cooler and called room service everytime I need restocked. They did have 2 other kinds of can beer, but I did not care for those. I recommend having cans of Dos Equis at the bars. Now as for the food, well, it was not the same as other Secrets. After looking at things, our recommendation is that they need more staff, it took forever to get every course of every meal. We waited in the Bourdeaux for a menu for half an hour. The food itself was so so, the Bourdeaux being the best in our book. This resort needs more seating in every restaurant and should take reservations. Our group of 10 never got to eat together the entire week. When seated, we would see tables for 6 with 4 people at them and so on. If reservations are taken, they can prepare for the amount of people. Also, the buffet needs major improvement. It needs to be open for dinner every night since the ala carte can not handle all the people. There was always a line for omelets and they had 2 grills to make them, but only one person on one grill was making them. They need to keep bacon on the buffet all the time, we had to ask for it everyday except one! Again, I attribute this to lack of staff. My suggestion is go to the RIU palace Riviera Maya, they had the best food we ever had and the buffet was the best! I was disappointed that our room was never cleaned until between 4-6 pm and that is the time you are getting showered and ready for dinner. One night it was not cleaned at all. Clean towels were come and go, sometimes we got them, sometimes I would have to go out and take them from the cart. The maid could not speak a word of English so she did not understand what I needed. We had turn down service a few nights and then some nights we didn't. As for the mini fridge. I asked that they stock it with water and beer, we don't drink soda. They took the soda, stocked it with beer the day I asked them and from then on, it was the normal. I asked the guy stocking for extra beer, he said "only allowed 5" wait, I thought this was all inclusive..
The beach is more for snorkeling so if you want to walk in the water from the beach, wear shoes.
Please don't take this as me complaining, I am providing information so that the resort can improve. I knew going in to this vacation that it would not be the same as the other ones.
All in all, if the feedback provided by the guest is taken into account, this resort would be a 5 star, as of now, it is a 3. I would go back, but only if improvements are made. There are so many great Secret's resort's in other places that I will go to those. I can only hope that the one lady that told us that Secrets was opening a resort in Aruba and Hawaii is correct! I can't wait for next year's vacation...

Room Tip: Loved the JR swim up room in the 4000 area! worth the extra money!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Beth H
SusczeConcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Hi Beth H,

Please be confident that we’ve shared your kind comments with our team as motivation to keep up with our commitment to offer a great experiences in our guests. We thank you on behalf of our team and Management.

We appreciate your objectivity and I can assure you that we take our customer feedback very seriously and we have made changes for a more positive customer experience.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience.

Lovell, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I just returned from a 10 day trip to Cozumel. A Friend of mine booked a Mystery Trip through CheapCarib.com. We didn't find out which resort we would be put in until 5 days before we left. It was a wonderful place. Everyone was so helpful. The food was good and the service was always good. We did a lot of snorkeling and really enjoyed the excursions we went on. The bad reviews must come from people who shouldn't even go on vacation. We couldn't have asked for a better place. Our room number was 1222, and it had a great view of the ocean and the lazy river pool. It was nice to slowly drift around the pool. I would love to go back to Secrets. Doing nothing for 10 whole days is awesome in itself. Go and don't listen to the negative.

Room Tip: The rooms around the lazy river pool are really nice and big! The second or third floor are best vie...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Carol B
Hi Carol B,

We were really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel and that you were particularly pleased with the service, staff, and food. Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Secrets Aura Cozumel and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Czumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

My wife and I were at Secrets Aura from the 2/8-15/14. We had a wonderful time. Erick was very helpful, as was Alma in guest services and Adrian in entertainment. The property was excellent, the restaurants awesome, and all the help very friendly. We like it so much we are making plans to bring our children to a Secrets in Cancun in May. Also, my wife and I will be visiting Secrets in Jamaica next November. You can't go wrong!

4 Thank al w
SusczeConcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Hi al w,

We appreciate you have taken the time to share your review about your recent visit to Secrets Aura Cozumel. We are read that you’ve enjoyed your stay, specially staff, restaurants and service.

Please be confident that we’ve shared your kind comments with our team as motivation to keep up with our commitment to offer truly remarkable experiences in our guests. We thank you on behalf of our team and Management.

We sincerely hope we can have the honor of being your hopes in not too distant future.

United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

We just returned from a seven day stay at Secrets. This was our first stay at a Secrets and would stay again in a heartbeat. Our arrival was seamless. We were greeted with champagne and a cool towel, after minimal time, our group of 4 couples were whisked away to our rooms. We were placed in the new Premium area around the swim up bar. The rooms were unbelievably spacious with a fully stacked mini bar, which was re-stocked every day. The room was very clean and the maid service was stupendous. We had one problem with our safe and within minutes of calling the front desk we had maintenance knocking on our door.

Our group are beach and swim up bar people, which we spent predominantly in the Premium area. The service we experienced from Elana and Yared was especially memorable. They were very attentive and always had a smile for us. Not only serving us drinks but we did on occasion order food. the quesadillas were very good.

We ate at the restaurants Oceans and Windows, no complaints at all from any members of our group.(Angel was a very sweet waiter that we had at Windows on our first night). I can honestly say the Portobello mushroom Ravioli at Windows was one of the best meals I have ever had. We ate breakfast every day and 2 dinners at Marketplace Café. .Beatriz greeted us every morning with her beautiful smile.Omelets were awesome and the thick French toast to die for. The Café was decorated for Valentines day and they served prime rib and grilled food like salmon and shrimp. Also very good.

Every night we attended the Sky bar to catch the sunsets. very nice with friendly bartenders and loved the saxophone player.

We did go over to Sunscape next door for a Mexican buffet, good food and decorated very nicely. The Swing bar was the place to go late in the evening, since the only bar open late at Secrets is Desires(Disco). Also we enjoyed the Broadway show that was at shown at Sunscape.

I am not a snorkeler, but others in our group were very pleased with the snorkeling right off the beach. The beach is rocky, so water shoes are a necessity. The sailors in the group took out the Hobie cats a few times and never had to wait.

Our group of 8 have been to Jamaica, Punta Cana, and now Cozumel. We all agreed we will definitely back

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Julie M
Hi Julie M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Secrets Aura that you enjoyed the resort staff, hotel and accommodating service experience. As a hotel company we will continue to create wonderful guest experiences where personalized service is concerned in an effort to become a highly regarded resort in Cozumel.

Thank you for your suggestions on how we can make our hotel even better, I have passed these comments along to Management for further review.

Grapevine, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

This is our first time to stay at an all inclusive resort and we have discovered it is not for us. All the restaurants serve nasty food and choices are very limited there is only 1 type of beer and the mix drinks are awful, activities are very limited . I can say we will never stay at another all inclusive property. for the money it's not worth it!!!! If you are looking for a place to get hammered and eat hotel food it's for you . The staff was excellent all over the resort and it was clean and pretty well kept,We did have an amazing time with scuba diving Dive With Martin !!!! They are Awesome and beautiful underwater scenery !!!!!!! We had the best time when we rented a Jeep and drove to the different beaches and experienced authentic Mexican food away from the main drag as it is set up for tourists in port we ventured off near 30 th street to find amazing food. Next time we will stay in town on the north end !!!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Comforttech
Hi Comforttech,

Thank you for sharing your feedback through this mean. Your comments are truly valuable for us, as this allow us to improve our service levels and product.

As with any hotel, there can be unexpected issues, but we agree with you that how it is dealt with makes a big difference to the guest. It is unfortunate that we did not have the chance to change your negative perception of our property before you left.

We have taken note in our opportunity areas kindly mentioned on your overview. Please feel confident that we will take the proper measures to prevent reoccurrences like this in the future.

Andover, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I vacationed here from Feb 7-Feb 14. This was our first trip to Mexico, and to a Secrets resort. We had an amazing time and plan to return. Upon arrival we were greeted with champagne and a cool towel. Check-in was a simple process, and the room was ready in the time specified. A quick golf cart ride to our room, bags delivered, and we were ready to relax!
We had a Jr. Swim up Suite that was extremely clean and modern. This room was near the back of the resort which was very quiet and private. Loved having the pool right outside our patio door, easy access to the swim-up bar!
Housekeeping staff was excellent! Room was restocked with clean towels, sheets, beverages early every day.
Window, Oceana and Bordeaux restaurants all offered a wide variety of dinner options. The staff was friendly and the food was great. Market Buffet offered made to order omelets, eggs, waffles and French toast. This area got backed up at times as the premade breakfast foods are set-up in the same area as the omelet station. A separate section for the premade breakfast options would eliminate this back-up situation.
The beach was beautiful and there were plenty of chairs. Swim-up bartenders and the beach wait staff were excellent, as were the cocktails!
Amazing sunsets! Can’t wait to return.

Room Tip: Loved the swim up suite, private and away from the beach traffic!
3 Thank Joanne K
Hi Joanne K,

We were really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel and that you were particularly pleased with the service, staff, the restaurants, rooms and the island Cozumel. Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Secrets Aura Cozumel and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.