“What a wonderful secret you were!”

Secrets Aura Cozumel
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Sydney, Australia
“What a wonderful secret you were!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our experience here was fantastic and I can't believe we only stayed 7 days. My husband and I had such a great time we were loathe to leave. We stayed there in October over Halloween and had such a great time. Please don't underestimate me though there were some drawbacks.........Ladies the spa is amongst the best I've been to, however do not have any waxing done.

As for our room we were right on the beach next to the construction but had no issues at all. The staff were fantastic and so funny at times, especially entertaining me when my husband was diving and I wasn't having at the spa. I would like to see the French restaurant used a little more but loved the ya when my husband forgot his long pants his long cotton PJ Alexander's were acceptable. It's this sort of adaptability that will go a long way to making you a favourite with visitors.

The location was fantastic and the sunsets gorgeous. From a diving perspective my husband wished he had done more and was sad to leave. We will definitely revisit and might add this to our few repeat hotels list. We are very particular and so I was very surprised.

Thank you for a relaxing and fun holiday

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the beach, the road side can be a little isolating but the watersides from yo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kitty_OConnor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,376)
  • Hebrew first
Dallas, United States
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I read some reviews on Secrets Aura Resort that made me question this resort prior to arrival on December 7, 2013, but was very pleasantly surprised. Check in was fast, our swim up ocean front room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The food at all the restaurants was good although I would have like more variety at breakfast instead of the same thing every day. The desserts were lacking but I don't go to Mexico expecting good desserts.

Drink service on the beach was a little slow as there was only on person working the beach and front pool area. Other than that, service was excellent and everyone was really friendly and helpful. The best thing about this hotel is the entertainment crew. Julio and Adrian got everyone involved in activities from morning to night. Beach volleyball, kayaking, pool volleyball, beach parties, dancing in the club....there was always something going on and Julio and Adrian made sure everyone was involved and having a good time!

The big negative while I was there was the construction between Secrets Aura and SunScape next door. It went on from morning til past 10 pm. Good thing we were hardly in the room and you couldn't really hear it on the beach or in the pool. Just meant we had to take our naps on the beach!

Room Tip: We had a swim up ocean view room which was excellent. It was spacious and very comfortable.
1 Thank Wendy H
NYC
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Just got back from 5 nights and 6 days at Secrets. The hotel is right on the beach which was great. The rooms were clean and spacious. The staff was lovely but it was sometimes difficult to communicate with them which was frustrating. Unfortunately the biggest problem was the food. We dined at all of the restaurants at the resort and were constantly disappointed. The best meal was breakfast and everything else that we ate was terrible. Probably the worst food I have ever had at a hotel. All the restaurant served the same thing, non of which was edible. I basically ate chips & bread for 5 days. Luckily, we rented a car and were able to go into town 3 out of 5 of the nights for great meals. We will be retuning to Cozumel but will NOT be returning to this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rgshine18
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2014

After the deaths of 2 parents this past year, 1 being 2 weeks prior to planning this last minute trip, my husband and I decided we needed to get away someplace quiet, 18+, and close enough to a location where I could stand up paddleboard. Immediately after booking, I contacted Justine, the e-concierge, notifying of our somewhat unusual situation, and my sensitive state of mind. That if at all possible, we wanted to have the smoothest check in possible and I wanted a "point person's" name on the property if I had any issues during my stay. I immediately heard back from Justine, that this wouldn't be a problem. As well as to contact her if I had any issues.

When we arrived, our check in was smooth, which was great. We were also told we had a $200 credit we could use while there. We were never informed there were restrictions on that credit, as in,my out couldn't use it to buy a bottle of wine, as you might be able to do if you were on a cruise. However, after we got to our room, I wish I could say the next 3 days of the week we stayed were easy. For the next 3 days, we had issues with the water in our room. When we went to shower, either in the early morning or late afternoon, there was very cold water, very little water, or no water at all. There were times we couldn't flush the toilet due to the no water situation. Usually, like Murphy's Law, I was the one in the shower for about 2 minutes, shampoo in hair, razor half way up my leg, when the water would turn ice cold and then just disappear.

We complained to the desk the first time this happened and they said "ok, we will write your complaint in the book and see what we can do about it". The book? This concerned me. But, ok. I began thinking right about then that maybe I should have mentioned to Justine prior to my arrival that I was a travel agent. I hadn't done this as I didn't want "special treatment". Now I was wondering if "special treatment" may have been a better idea. Over the course of the next several days, the water situation didn't improve. I sent several emails, of escalating importance to Justine, which were never returned or even acknowledged. This, too, was disappointing. I felt that now that I was on the property as a "captive audience"? The management didn't truly care about my experience.

Another disappointment for me, was that by the last email I sent to Justine, I made it quite clear that I was a travel agent, who I worked for, and, I inquired if it would be at all possible to arrange for a full tour of some of the vacant rooms on the property. After all, we had been told the resort was only at 40% capacity that week. Again, no response. And, adding insult to injury, there was an event for travel agents staying at the resort over the course of the week we were there -- I was not invited.

As other reports have stated. Wifi is spotty, but you do get it. I travel with my iPad for work & use social media to post pics in real time. Having the wifi & being able to take the pics with my iPad & post immediately was a plus for me.

Most of the staff are wonderful. Some that still stand out are Isabel from the activities staff. As well as Zitlaly, one of the cocktail servers at the pool by the beach/on the beach. That said, I found the hostesses in Oceana to be stuck up & uninterested in the guests. They seemed to only want to talk amongst themselves or to guests that were spending on high priced bottles of wine. The servers in Oceana were lovely. The menu never changed. Which was disappointing. We dined in the French restaurant twice. This restaurant is an underutilized gem that could be put to far better use as a wowed burning oven piazza, Italian Trattoria, specialty wines by the glass type of place. The room is great and the service is terrific. French food just seemed sort of out of place here.

Nightlife the week we were there was spotty on property. We met a few other couples and had our own fun. But, for the most part, the carpets roll up there around 10 p.m. We ended up going into town a few nights just to escape boredom.

I want to stress that I think this place has potential, but it is in no way a 4-5 star property that I would feel comfortable referring to my clients as that way in the current condition. Service is inconsistent. Management seems to be absent, and the "cooks seem to be running the kitchen" so to speak, at this point.

I love Cozumel. I can't wait to return. And have plans to do so again within the next few months, just can't say whether or not I would reconsider staying here unless things change drastically.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get an oceanfront suite, if you can. Those are generally the newer or upg...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sunworshiprskibum
Ajax
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband and I paid a lot for this Christmas Time vacation, and we were not disappointed. We have stayed at many resort over the last ten years, and have never gone back to the same one twice. This is a resort that we would return to. The staff was very friendly and even started to know us by name (especially room service). We always felt safe and looked after. Towards the end of our stay we rented a car from a company stationed at the resort for 24 hours and drove along the east side of the island, stopping at Coconuts for lunch (expensive but delicious). After, we drove downtown to do some shopping. The car rental probably cost us close to $100, however a cab in to town costs about $20 one way, so we thought we would go outside our comfort zone, and really enjoyed having the rental.

Cons/Minor issues - not enough to ruin a great vacation by any means
-construction (closer to the units near the beach); annoying I'm sure if your room was beside it, but not enough to ruin your vacation otherwise
-Christmas Eve Buffet - not the greatest food choice
-Minimal night life or activities in the evenings; there were no shows except for the fire show on the beach which was well done; we never made it to the disco so I can't comment on that; however it is a smaller resort so that could account for the lack of shows
-communication in regards to activities/shows/gala dinners was very lacking; most of the time the activity page on the board was either non-existent or two days old
-we had some issues with our air conditioner (no remote or ability to control it, and then rattling); the first issue was not solved quickly (but was made up for by management), the second issue was solved very quickly
-although our room was clean, and nicely decorated, you can tell the rooms are older, and could benefit from a face lift (cracks and space aroundair conditioner unit, rusty hinges in bathroom); we had a Junior Swim Up room (Building 42) and no issues with musty or mildew smells
-Oceana Restaurant - we ate their twice (dinner and lunch), and although the menu seemed impressive, as was the presentation, I did not enjoy the food; I ordered a seafood casserole and it presented as a soup; we followed up our lunch with french fries; ate dinner there and then went to the bordeaux after :)
-only one beer selection - dos E - we did not enjoy this beer ; although there was heineken offered at the beach grill for two days)
-lack of drink menus as Oceana - we asked for one and told there weren't any
-Shops- the one shop really didn't seem to have very much variety; don't rely on buying souveniers at the resort
-No Wireless in the rooms; although we did have a connection periodically from our patio, we weren't really expecting wireless in our rooms anyway (concrete buildings); occasionally it was difficult to connect or would drop the connection but I was satisfied with the overall speed
-One evening there was a lack of hot water (around supper time when everyone was getting ready)

Pros
-no towel cards
-no bracelets
-adults only
-no signing up or limits for a la cartes (3 dinner choices as well as the sister resort which has several more - although we didn't take advantage of those ones)
-Bordeaux restaurant was amazing; we ate there 3 times and enjoyed our meal everytime
-Room Service - we ordered room service about 6 times, and it was always delivered within 30 minutes, and was actually really good
-water slides from the junior swim up rooms to the bar pool
-we celebrated our anniversary and upon arrival our door was decorated nicely; and we received a complimentary fruit tray and large bottle of champagne
-mimosas for breakfast
-snorkeling off pier; unfortunately we waited towards the end of our trip and snorkelled in the pouring rain which as amazing
-Spa ; My husband and I enjoyed a couples massage at the Spa,which included sauna, steam room, and hot tub usage
-Cafe Coco; we enjoyed regular hot and frozen specialty coffees here; great atmosphere; wireless internet as well as two desktop computers
-Wireless internet near the lobby, restaurants, and on the beach and FREE - most resorts we have been to did not have wireless at all, let alone free wireless and free desktop internet
-hard working staff and always very friendly
-walk the beach and towards the south end there is a beach party place, that sells some SOL, and other brands of beer, rents sea doos, etc.
-small resort; we really enjoyed this aspect as we usually stay at larger resorts

4 Thank JDHAjax
Marina del Rey, California, United States
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I'm currently writing this review right now from our balcony for 2 reasons: 1. the wifi in the room doesn't work and 2. our "luxury" loft suite (room 1133 - and yes, we're unfortunately here another day to "celebrate" NYE) with solarium and private lap pool has been filtering for 2 hours (it's 6am right now) and it sounds like someone is taking some
Olympic-esque laps across our roof. Last night, it was filtering at 3:45am and I had to call the front desk not once, but twice to have someone come look at it. Apparently that didn't fix the problem today and I haven't slept in 2 days. Worst part is that we don't even use the solarium or lap pool. The pool looks moldy, old and creepy.

We've stayed at some amazing hotels from Puerto Vallarta (Garza Blanca) to Lake Como (Villa D'Este), St Maarten, St Barths, Paris, London and more. I have no idea why we paid over $4,000 for a 5 night stay at this resort.

First off, the room has a musty, moldy smell so much so that I wake up every morning with a sore throat. It was so bad last night, I couldn't even talk. Everything also just needs a touch of paint to disguise the obvious age and wear and tear.

Secondly, the food. I'm a huge foodie but I'm too tired to get into all the details but this all inclusive luxury resort has 3 restaurants on property. 2 of the restaurants serve the exact same food!!!!! And Bordeaux? Give me a break, these guys wouldn't know French food if it hit them over the head with a baguette. And talk about the servers-the hostess had no idea what she was doing. The restaurant was half empty and she made us and another couple wait for 15 minutes. The best thing I ate was the chips/guac/pico de gallo and a bite of my boyfriends CHEESEBURGER. Cmon, this is a 5 star resort??? It's obviously trading off the reputation of other Secrets locations.

After 5 days, I'm tired of eating the same food (same menu every day). We tried the Italian restaurant at the "sister property" next door - Portofino. And while that resort looked much more lively and had a more impressive lounge (not to mention you still have to walk over there to use the gym and spa even though you're staying at the more "exclusive" property). The Italian food was a joke. My boyfriend, who orders take out in NYC every night can make pasta out of a jar that would blow Portofino away. We ordered a pizza for room service one night and fell asleep because it took so long. I wasn't even sure who was knocking at our door and then to find out it was a mushy microwaveable pizza was another blow.

Finally, I'm just bored here. We did the snorkeling tour which was $30 pp for 2 hours and that was fun but of course it's all run out of a separate business affiliated with the hotel, not Secrets itself.

But in terms of all the entertainment they promise you, I saw one half assed show at dinner time on the beach the entire week. The "entertainment team" - yes they have a staff dedicated to entertainment - set up the same things every day. Stretching in the morning, snorkeling at the pier and pool volleyball. Every. Single. Day. They're supposedly setting up a stage for NYE celebrations but I can only imagine it will disappoint. We've been so discouraged, we just go back to our room every night and watch DVDs of The Wire that we brought with us because there's nothing else on and some of the channels are just "stuck". The 32 inch TV is also laughable in a room this size. The sectional couch is also old, faded and stained and I haven't had the nerve to even touch it. The blinds in the bathroom don't work so we had to manually close them with our fingers just so you can have some privacy. We also met another couple at the Sky Bar one evening that had been waiting for hot water to start working in their rooms! Oh and all those other comments about construction are true although we're lucky to hear a minimal amount of it, it still looks unpleasant and depending on where you set up for your beach day, you can hear them. I think they're building timeshares and you have to walk around that mess to get to the other resort/gym/spa. The spa is overpriced too $180 for a hot stone massage - laughable.

I wish I had taken the negative reviews on trip advisor more seriously but I guess I learned an expensive lesson.

I do have to mention most of the severs at windows, oceana and the pool are great. And Agustin at the sky bar and desires night club was wonderful. I'm just still scratching my head at what we paid for?! I'm guessing its management or corporate that's just slow to make the improvements this resort drastically needs.

We were practically forced to book this hotel as it mostly had to do with Expedia - they cancelled our other hotel reservation at Sandals Caracol in Playa del Carmen (which was less than HALF the price for all inclusive ~&2000 for 5 nights) and every other place was sold out except for this exhorbitantly priced hotel.

I would just suggest you thoroughly do your research before booking and don't say you weren't warned. Apparently they give you vouchers for. Ride to the hotel from the airport but we didn't see that and had to pay $12pp and made several stops at Cozumel Palace and the Intercontinental, which both looked pleasant as we drove past.

Ok now I have to call the front desk again because the pool filtering for the past hour is still driving me nuts.

Best of luck if you plan on staying here!

• Stayed December 2013
6 Thank Camille L
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We are actually still at the Secrets resort in Cozumel, staying in room 4324, if you are blessed with this room you can expect virtually no WiFi for your entire stay, no hot water for at least the first few days. The TV works very inconsistently, to help pass time as you are waiting for your WiFi to connect. If you order room service expect an hour and a half wait. My wife was ill for a day after eating in the Bordeaux restaurant and the table beside is captured a roach during supper.
The staff are friendly and try very hard however I stress we paid for the "Secrets" experience and this has been VERY far from. Very disappointing for the amount of money we paid to come for our honeymoon. If you have ever stayed at a Secrets resort before and we have this is nothing at all like what you may have experienced before and if you are looking to try Secrets DO NOT come here.

Room Tip: Do not come here now. Maybe later after they have fixed this place up.
3 Thank Dwight S
SeaczEconcierge, Sales Manager at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear valued guest,
on behalf of our hotel staff I apologize for not meeting your expectations, I am truly disappointed about the inconveniences you are having.
The issues described in your review are unacceptable and not in the line of our standards, your comment was discussed in our meeting today and our Management will be contacting you shortly.

Once again our sincerest apologies

Milton Ocampo
Sales Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cozumel
Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Cozumel Palace
#2 of 51 in Cozumel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,630 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Secrets Aura Cozumel? Share your experiences!