“Paradise in the making”

Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed October 27, 2013

After a flight cancellation, airport change and lots of phone calls, we finally arrived at Secrets Aura. It was 8:30 pm; we were greeted with the familiar cool towel and glass of champagne. We were “home”. We like to travel 2-4 times a year and have found the Secrets resorts to be both and excellent value and stress free vacation from the moment we step on site. We were ready for 5 days in paradise.

Secrets Aura caught our eyes as we had been to Cozumel for a tour and thought it would be awesome to stay on the island. Secrets must have heard because they purchased property and started the transformation. The setting is so beautiful. We knew that the resort was still new to the Secrets brand but we were able to get a great deal as an opening special. We opted for the Solarium suite with rooftop lap pool, a splurge for us (room 1135). It was beautiful and comfortable, Luisa our maid kept our room spotless. The only complaint I have was there wasn’t enough places to put all our clothes away; it really could have used a bureau or chest of drawers. The lap pool was inviting. It was wonderful to sit in our private pool enjoying some wines and the gorgeous view.

Each morning we were greeted by Bertriz at Windows. There was a buffet; although smaller then what we’ve come to expect it was very good. Marco, Jorge and Adrian were our servers, I asked for toast and cinnamon one morning. It was brought to me and each and every morning after.
We wandered over to the Sunscape side for dinner one night at the Portofino. Santos was our server. Although the Portofino is located on the family side, it was a nice quiet, relaxing dinner. The food was very good. There is a golf cart that will take you to and from so you don’t have to worry about the walk.

We had a special private dinner on the pier. Fabiola was our hostess and Oscar made sure our needs were taken care of. The food was phenomenal. It was mostly seafood, I’m not really crazy about seafood but I make it a point to try new things, I’m very glad it did. The cream of clam soup was so creamy. Chef Luis really out did himself!
My husband won at bingo one day. The prize was a certificate for a free dinner (value$10) and a t-shirt for Alberto’s, located 3 km down the road. So that was one of our dinners. Very good, worth the trip!

The Entertainment staff (Jordan, Julio, Oscar and Marco) could be found during the course of the day, either running activities or chatting with the guest. There are activities ranging from pool volleyball, kayaking and snorkeling. Although they would ask everyone was no pressure to join if you didn’t want to
We took a walk up to the Sky Bar one night. I found a back way up as the elevator was down the whole time we were there. The pictures on the site made it look like a fun place to be but in actuality it was deserted. There weren’t any bar stools, only a couple of smaller table and chair sets. As we walked around looking out over the water, a bartender appeared. We ordered our drinks and went over to the front to listen to the Rock Concert (the night’s entertainment), the bartender disappeared again. We decided to go downstairs and enjoy the music up close.

One of the things that caught my eyes was the water slides down to the pool bar. Yes I had to try them. Two of the 4 went so slow you had to shimmy your way down. The others were pretty fun though. It seems that they were working on them because one day the right one was off, the next it would be the center one. I’m sure once they’ve finished with all the up-grades they all will be working fine.

We never had a problem finding a seat at the pool. They were very clean. We didn’t find any floats but again, I believe that with time this will straighten itself out.
The beach was beautiful. The colors of the sea are so bright and clear. There were plenty of chairs to be had. One thing you should know is that when entering the water from the beach, you may want to have water shoes on. It’s is rocky but that is to be expected as it’s right on the edge of a coral reef.

We love stopping into the Coco Café for an afternoon snack/coffee. It was also one of the areas that the internet worked well. Other parts of the resort it was hit or miss. It’s nice to sit and catch up on everyone at home while enjoying a coffee or latte.

We finally got to met Justine the e-concierge; it was great after chatting with her so long. She had been teasing us with her posts and pictures of Aura on the their Facebook site for quite a while. She knew that we were there for my husband’s birthday and had a three milk cake (his favorite) put in our room for it 

Our stay was very enjoyable. The problems we ran across were very minor and quickly resolved. This resort will definitely be a 5 star resort when all the improvements are complete. I believe that the most important part is already in place: the staff. Everyone we met at Aura was friendly and helpful. They truly made you feel welcome. I really cannot wait to return to this beautiful resort.

I

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Dalyce
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Dalyce,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are delighted to have been able to host you and meet your expectations as loyal Secrets Resorts customers. It was particularly encouraging to learn that you enjoyed our resort amenities, beach, service and pleasant staff. Our property takes great pride in providing a good service, and are confident in the fact that this is what makes Secrets Resorts stand out from the myriad of other all-inclusive properties.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,788)

Reviewed October 24, 2013

As mother of the bride I can tell you this is the way to organize a wedding; just show up and everything is done for you by the hotel staff with such graciousness. Our wedding planner Patricia put together a beautiful ceremony under the gazebo on the pier and organized a sunset cruise for after the ceremony. On return to shore after witnessing an amazing sunset, a beautifully decorated table awaited the wedding party and guests, the food was good and so was the liquor and music provided. I would recommend Secrets to anyone who is looking for a laid back relaxing vacation, you don't have to wait till you have to pay for a wedding. LOL.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank mummyinja
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear mummyinja,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are so excited that you enjoyed the destination wedding and that you felt our coordinator Patricia did an excellent job in taking care of all the details on behalf of your wedding party.Your positive comments about our friendly staff, service, and relaxing atmosphere were also inspiring to prospective guests and staff. Our team remains committed to the total satisfaction of our guests, so reviews like yours remind us that we are on the right track.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I staied at Secrets Aura over the this past weekend, Oct 18-21, and had such a great time! The property is absolutely breathtaking with its beach views! I could have literally laid by the pool looking out on the beach the netire time. The property is extremely clean and well kept. There was some construction going on by one of the pools which was a bit noisy, however there are a number of pools to choose from - so we simply moved to a different one.

The staff were exceptionally well mannered and very welcoming. The check in process was quick and easy. Our room did have a slight smell when we first checked in but as soon as we made the front desk aware of this it was dealt with immediately.

I would definitely stay at this hotel on my next visit to Cozumel. Even though I was only there for a short time, I left feeling very relaxed. Take the time to take a look at their Instagram and Facebook accounts and you'll see the pictures and how breath-taking the beach is! Great amenities as well - including beach volleyball and snorkling. A group of us went snorkling while their and saw a Barracuda, an Eel and a Nurse Shark! Overall I had a fantatstic time and would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank KimiT34

Dear KimiT34,

Your comments about our property being the breathtaking means so much to us and your additional compliments about our relaxing atmosphere, friendly staff, and enjoyable time spent on our beach and snorkeling was certainly encouraging to our team. We recognize that there are other hotels from which you could have chosen to spend your vacation and the fact that you chose our property means a lot to us. However, it was even more rewarding to hear that you had a positively memorable stay.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at Secrets Aura – Cozumel from October 13–19 for a wedding. We had a large group (16) and the resort staff went above and beyond to accommodate us at every restaurant, activity, and so on. The resort has exceptional food, service, and staff. The resort itself is very beautiful and our room was always clean and the mini fridge stocked. As others have mentioned, there was some construction going on that was a little distracting when laying on the beach, so we just headed over to the Secrets pool. That’s where we met the activities team (Julio, Isabel, and Oscar). They were amazing! They always had an activity planned and kept our group engaged. They would do everything they could to make sure we were having a great time, including snorkeling with us, playing pool volleyball, and leading other special presentations each night – fire show, karaoke, etc. We also stopped at the Desires club a couple nights. It was dead during the week but towards the weekend when other groups showed up, it was a blast! The bartenders at each place made sure we had a great time. The service from other staff at the resort (waiters, repairmen, housekeeping) was also top-notch. Miguel at Bordeaux was the best waiter I have ever had at any restaurant in the world. He waited on our large group at each of the different restaurants and had great recommendations, got us exactly what we wanted (he even ran to another restaurant for a certain ice cream!), and was very outgoing and congenial. He made each dinner very memorable. I hope to see him managing the restaurants and wait staff when we come back to visit! The food at each restaurant was great. The Caesar salad with shrimp at Windows was the best salad I’ve ever had. The portions are small, which is to be expected at an all-inclusive, so we just ordered a few different things.

Overall, we had a great time! You can tell that the resort is in the middle of some improvements, but in terms of staff, service, and food, I thought it was one of the best resorts I’ve been to.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Noel M

Dear Noel M,

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our exceptional food, staff and services, and that your first visit to Cozumel was a positive experience for both you and your wedding group. It is very pleasing to read wonderful comments especially from guests like you, We are thankful for your attention and we will make sure to share your kind words with the above mentioned staff, so they know they did a good job in providing you with an wonderful holiday. Your feedback provided us with an insight of our brand and perception of the services we offer.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

After reading all the negative reviews I was very leery to continue with my reservations and planning of my wedding at Secrets. But I'm glad I didn't listen! The staff was over the top and made everything worth while!!! Enjoyed my stay, loved the staff and you get what you out in!! Go in with a bad attitude, you're going to get a bad outcome!! It's vacation, let's loose, relax and enjoy your surrounding!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
7  Thank Tiffany N

Dear Tiffany N,

We are happy to have been your chosen wedding destination and that we were able to meet your expectations. It was particularly encouraging to learn that you enjoyed our wonderful staff, service and relaxing atmosphere. Our property takes great pride in providing a good service, and are confident in the fact that this is what makes Secrets Resorts stand out from the myriad of other all-inclusive properties.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I were staying in puerto Morelos oct. 13-20. We have always wanted to go to Cozumel and stay at the aura.so for my birthday we thought we would go and check it out for one night. We have stayed at sandals and a number of secrets which were fabulous.

When we arrived we were met with cold towels and a glass of champagne. Very nice. Check in was fast and we were off to our Jr. Suite swim out. We were in suite 4414. It was nice. Needed some updating but all in all a nice room. The pool is need of a good cleaning. Cigarette butts and plastic wrappers float and linger on the bottom of the pool. I went to the swim up bar to order a few drinks and the bartender was talking to a co-worker. He came over and looked at me like I have some nerve asking him for drinks while he is talking to his buddy. I tipped him thinking this might help me get better service,but it didn't. We ordered room service and it was good. The beach is rocky and hard to walk on. And due to the coral you couldn't really go in the ocean, but the view is beautiful. We went for dinner at Oceana's and here is where the fun began. We ordered drinks. About 15 minutes later we received them. We ordered our meal. It seemed like forever to get our salad and then our main course. Food was tasteless and cold. It's then we realized that they were short staffed. There was a hostess, 2 waiters, and what seemed to me only one cook. The waiter explained they only had 16 people the night before for dinner as the resort was not very full. But on the night we went for dinner, roughly 50-60 people checked in that day. This is a management error as you should know how many people are staying at the resort on each day. The waiter was running back and forth frantically and sweating like he was in a sauna. My wife had told the waiter it was my birthday and he brought us desert. I had cheesecake and it had a message written nicely on the plate.( see photo ) my wife and I laughed and went back to our room. The next we went to the buffet for breakfast. The buffet was very small and didn't offer much for variety. We left hungry. Before check out we went for lunch. My wife ordered the burger and I chose the seafood medley. My wife's burger had Moldy cheese on it and min was like rubber. Once again we left hungry. We brought this up with management and they said they are working very hard to improve there service and food quality. We only stayed one night and got a very good rate. I would have been irate if we had payed the big bucks they are asking for a week or two. I feel sorry for those who did. We will not be back anytime soon. But we still would go to other secrets resorts.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank 5star8

Dear 5star8,

We apologize that you thought your stay was below expectations at Secrets Aura Cozumel. As is customary with most hotels in Cozumel during the low season, things tend to be a bit slower due to the occupancy levels. However, we are disappointed that we did not meet your discerning taste in terms of the overall facility, service and standards. Your comments have been noted and we assure you that we intend to look into your suggestions as your concerns are not the norm. It was unfortunate that you had not requested to speak with a member of our Management team who would have been more than happy to address your concerns. We apologize wholeheartedly for this experience and have passed on your comments to the Management and Staff which has led us to implement more intensive training's in trying to improve the overall guest service.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in Nov last year and late Sept this year. Overall, we are big fans, but I can understand the broad range of opinions voiced in these reviews. Secrets Aura is evolving into what it will eventually be; in the meantime the staff work hard to help guests make the most of their stay. Our room was fantastic - just above the lobby and Windows restaurant with wondrous views of the beach, sunsets, and night sky. We were there during the slow season, and nightlife was fairly non-existent. However there was an awe- inspiring fire show on the beach at night that was as impressive as it was unexpected. If this is important to you, this may not be your dream destination. The restaurants were fairly solid I thought - Bordeaux (French), Portofino (Italian), El Patio (Mex, natch), Windows (more American), and Oceana. A shout-out here to Gabriel, a fantastic waiter. We had the pleasure of having him as our server on 3 different occasions - friendly, informative, a real credit to Aura. Portions are small, so order all servings if you have any appetite at all. The bars were inconsistent. The beach bars were underwhelming, the servers often bored and drink quality iffy. Find a good bartender and ride him! Jesus was very skilled at the pool bar near Bordeaux, and the bartender at the Seaside Grill was also worth looking up.

The beach is beautiful. There are enough complimentary water sports to keep you busy for a few days. We rented a scooter from the stand near the gym...riding along the beaches on the quiet side of the island was one of the highlights of our stay....just lovely.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank James M

Dear James M,

It is a great pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay among us and that we met your expectations. Thank you for your positive words regarding our resort amenities, our relaxing atmosphere and hard working staff. We can assure you that your review will serve to motivate other travelers to visit and encourage our employees to continue to work with diligence, and most importantly to know that you have the intention to visit us again.