“Really 2.5 Stars, definitely not a 4!”

Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Richmond, Virginia
“Really 2.5 Stars, definitely not a 4!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had a 7 day/6 Night stay (5/28-6/3) at Secrets Aura. As someone else mentioned, this was our first trip to Mexico and our first stay at a Secrets property. Even with the mixed reviews, we decided to give the place a shot. We were celebrating our 3rd anniversary. Check in was quick. We upgraded from a Pool View to and Ocean View since other reviews said the pool area was noisy. It cost us an extra $100 a night and we should have stayed poolside. The first thing we noticed was a musty smell, but it was not overpowering and only noticeable close to the door. The hair dryer was broken, but replaced immediately. Our first shower we noticed two things. The was not enough hot water for two people to take a reasonable length shower (let alone a "resort shower"), and the hand held shower head was cracked and not useable. We reported both problems and nothing happened. We reported it again the next day and the fixed shower head (which worked) was replaced, but not the hand held. We reported it again and the hand held was finally replaced, but when the shower was turned on, the overhead shower didn't work and the replaced hand held didn't have enough pressure to rinse the soap out of our hair. We had the Manager on Call come up to the room and we showed her the problem. She offered to have it looked at immediately (it was 10 pm) or we could tell her when we left in the morning. We chose the morning. When we tried to brush our teeth, the sink spurted and turned to a trickle that couldn't rinse the tooth brush. The next day, both shower heads worked, but still could not be used independently; they both stayed on all the time no matter what position the button was in. We informed the on call Manager how upset we were and upon checking with the Finance Officer told us that they would refund one half of our upgrade costs. At no time during our stay was the hot water problem resolved and we were told, "We know we have a problem with the hot water".
The view was fabulous. Unfortunately our "balcony" was all open, more of a second floor patio. When it rained it was not useable. You could not even have an umbrella (safety reasons, but a room two doors down had one we were told would be removed but stayed our entire visit.)

I don't drink and my wife doesn't eat much, so one thing we generally enjoy is the planned entertainment at the all-inclusive resorts. Unfortunately, it didn't really exist here. During the six nights we were here, I believe one-half of one event was actually conducted as scheduled. It was a casino night. There was supposed to be a fire show, which happened, but an hour late. The entertainment that was supposed to happen one night at the Sky Bar, actually took place the following night because the scheduled entertainment was cancelled. There was no rhyme or reason. We had a couple of days of rain, not the resort's fault, but when it rained, there was absolutely nothing to do and no place to go except a restaurant to eat, or your room. In your room, the TV was out due to satellite failure during much of the rain.
The swim up pool was green and not useable for the first three days of our trip. It was pretty much clear by the fourth day but we didn't spend any time there.

So obviously there were a couple of positives. Our bed was exceptionally comfortable and the air conditioning worked perfectly! We were treated to champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries on our anniversary, the next day we had a banner on our door and were greeted with rose petals in the shape of hearts leading us from our door to the bed with "I Love You" spelled out in rose petals on the bench in front of the bed. It was very nice. The beach is beautiful, the water is beautiful, and there are more than enough lounge chairs. They recommend water shoes due to the rocks, but most people won't need them, We found the food/drink service by the pool to be good and pretty quick. We also tipped the staff that provided this service. They never asked, but they are appreciative and service is even faster the next time. We spent our pool time at the front pool "the Relaxing Pool" which was quiet and a great place to get to know our fellow guests. It was always clear blue and comfortable. However, there is no place near to deposit used towels so many of the guests just piled them on one chair and eventually someone came and collected them.

The food is good at Oceans and Windows and excellent at Bordeaux. All of their restaurants are a la carte, but Windows has a selection of cereal, breads, and fruit for breakfast. A buffet is available at the resort next door if that's what you want, but it's "okay" at best. The only drawback is that the weekly menus never changed. I'm used to resorts changing the menu weekly. We heard of guests having to wait for service, but that was a problem we never experienced.

The number one thing this resort has going for it is its front-line employees. They work non-stop, are always friendly, and do whatever they can to make your stay enjoyable. Even though tipping is optional, tip! A buck for pool/beach service, a couple for breakfast/lunch, a five for dinner, a five for housekeeping, at the very least. I took tip money and used it because they deserved a tip!

We got the beginning of the sales pitch and I shut it down by stating that this was the first time I'd been to a Secrets and I certainly wasn't interested anything until the end of my stay and I could make a more informed decision.
Bottom line, we won't be back. Advertising it as the newest member of the Secrets resort, makes me doubt very seriously if we'll ever book at another Secrets, or AMResorts property. The resort needs work. At the very least we expected large quantities of hot water, but I agree that the resort is not as luxurious as it claims to be. It has a long way to go to reach what I was told was "Secrets" standards. It should have been closed, at least a section at a time, refurbished, then reopened. If you've never been to a good or better all inclusive, this might be a good place for you, but in my opinion, we did not get what we paid for. Two and a half stars, definitely not a Four!

Room Tip: Double edged sword- front rooms are quieter but have very limited supply of hot water. Rear rooms ar...
3 Thank phil753
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear phil753,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We were disappointed to learn that your stay with us was unsatisfactory. As you pointed out, our lack of hot water, maintenance issues and lack of entertainment offered at the resort were below standard. I have mentioned your displeasure to the relevant Department Heads, who are are looking at addressing your concerns in a proactive manner. Please be assured that this is not the typical experience of our guests.

We appreciate that you were able to itemize some positives about your stay, namely the Staff, beach and food and cleanliness. It would be an honor if we were able to restore your confidence in our brand in your next stay.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,372)
  • Hebrew first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed at this resort June 2-6, 2013. Upon arrival in the lobby it was obvious to me that this location was not going to meet the standards of the "Secrets" chain. The lobby was much much smaller than others I have visited. After checking in, we were told at the desk to have a bellboy take us to our room. After talking to the bellboy, we found out that the golf carts were not working - so that we would be walking to our room instead (this was not a major inconvenience, as the resort is on the smaller side, but still - was an expected luxury with Secrets). After getting settled in, we went back to the lobby to inquire about the spa location/services - where they told us that it is at the sister resort Sunscape - and that to have a bellboy take us by golfcart since it was further away. Again, after being told to use the golf carts, we were informed by the bellboys that they are not in service right now. Also important to note: the employees in the lobby (concierge, specifically - and mind you, this is a very small lobby so no where to run!) are very pushy and trying to sell you experiences, sign up for extras, etc. We did not appreciate the constant "push" for talking to them about trips we were not interested in doing. We were also told that Secrets only had three restaurants (Bordeaux, Windows and Oceana), not as many as we expected, especially being a Secrets resort. El Patio, Portofino, etc. were all a part of the sister resort (family resort), so the atmosphere, feel, etc. were not what we were looking for. However, that being said, the food at the limited restaurants was EXCELLENT. I have been to El Dorado resorts (only similar chain to Secrets in my opinion) that specialize in gourmet all inclusive, and the food at Secrets Aura surpassed El Dorado. The beef filet, beef wellington, mandarin duck, etc. were delicious and we could always stop by the coffee shop (this was a new feature to me, and very popular!) to have a mocha, etc. on our way to the beach or room.

This is not Secrets Aura's fault, but it rained the ENTIRE time there, and everything was flooded. Walking the resort paths, you would find your feet completely submerged in murky waters and sometimes unpleasant smells...not the best feeling in the world. As a result of the rain, the theater was flooded for nightly entertainment - so ALL shows/activities were cancelled during our stay. So, we did a lot of reading in the hammocks, room service, etc.

The beach is a nice size, clean and easy to access for snorkeling (lobsters, fish, etc.) and we did an afternoon of snorkeling on a boat (saw sea turtles, stingrays, etc.) - so Cozumel lived up to it's reputation for snorkeling, even if the waters were stirred up from tropical storm Andrea.

The room was not anything to be excited about - it mirrored our room from our Radisson hotel from our sleep and fly the day before leaving for our trip. I have stayed at many other Secrets locations, where the rooms are amazing and jacuzzi are a standard part of EVERY room at the resort. This is not the case here. No jacuzzi in our room, just a king size bed and bathroom. Perhaps this would have made the trip more enjoyable (being trapped inside due to weather) if we had a more enjoyable room.

Very limited bars (the swim up bar barely had a bartender present), and only two other bars in the resort (one in a restaurant and one on roof). The one in the restaurant was awkward and the other was open on a roof top - so with the thunderstorms, was not ideal. Otherwise, you had to walk over to the Sunscape resort to use their bars - which again, does not have the same atmosphere.

The pools were again, limited (I would stress that this resort is much smaller and not as many amenities as other Secrets) - and were quite dirty. I understand this to a degree - it was storming so this makes it harder to keep clean. However, there was little to no effort in trying to clean them while there. Dirt on the bottoms of the pools and I was SHOCKED at the brown water directly below our room for the swim-out rooms. I would be extremely disappointed if I paid the extra money for a swim-out/up room and the water was in this condition, I would insist on a refund of some sort and a new room if I were placed in these rooms.

The drinks had top-shelf alcohol and were pretty tasty (not consistent, but we still enjoyed them).

Bottom line, I was not impressed. For someone who has not traveled much and this is a new experience, they may have another opinion. However, from my perspective as a frequent adults-only all-inclusive traveler, I will not be returning. I will not hesitate to stay at another Secret's (they are one of my favorite's) but will 100% not be returning to this location. They fell short of a lot of the "luxuries" that the Secrets chain holds, as I had read on my other reviews, and agree that although we still enjoyed our "vacation", it was a disappointment overall (except for the amazing food, did I mention this?!).

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on a swim-up! I was disgusted looking at the water in those pools - brow...
2 Thank love2travel506
Dear love2travel506,

Thank you for your very complete and constructive feedback as it provides us with information that is helpful in identifying those areas of opportunity we may be overlooking .Unfortunately I can see that you did not enjoy all the services we provided to you, and I do apologize for any shortcomings from our side. The areas you have raised are under review with the Department Heads.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We just got back from 7 day/6 Night stay at Secrets Aura. This was our first trip to Mexico and our first stay at a Secrets property. After reading a ton of mixed reviews, we decided we would come with an open mind and hope to have an unforgettable time. Upon arrival we were given cool towels and champagne (not gonna lie, it was kinda awkward, not all luxurious like I imagined this gesture would be) and sat down at the check in desk. The check in process was very fast and we were sent to our room immediately. We were not given a description of the property, directions to anything, or any sort of explanation, we were just kinda dropped off and pushed aside. Our review is as follows:

THE ROOM: Ocean-View, Swim-Up

PROS-Great View, Great bed, Nice shower, Bed on terrace, Swim-out feature
CONS-Musty smell (due to weather I believe), dampness of everything, slightly dirty, furniture stained, not comparable to pictures advertised on website, VERY slippery floors when wet, dim lighting.

BEACH-

PROS-Snorkeling is excellent, water beautiful, plenty of lounge chairs, cleaned daily, food/drink service pretty quick/good

CONS- None

POOLS-

PROS-Clean, variety, food/drink service, lots of chairs

CONS-Ran out of towels

FOOD-

PROS-Bordeaux amazing for dinner, great selection for breakfast, no buffets, room-service was pretty good and real quick.

CONS-Weekly menus never changed, for picky eaters (my fiance) not enough selection of more "normal" items, no snacks, sweets are hard to come by

ENTERTAINMENT- I do not even need pros/cons here. Why? Because there is absolutely zero. That is actually one of our largest complaints about the resort. While there, it rained almost everyday. When I say rain, I mean, you can't see ten feet in front of you rain. The resort obviously cannot control the weather, they could however offer something to do in these situations. They had nothing, except eating. So for the better part of our vacation we were stuck in our room, with nothing to do, including no TV due to satellite failure during the rain. The one night it wasn't raining we went up the sky bar where there was music playing and one bartender and two other guests. It was boring, and I like laid back/ low key.

SERVICE-

My favorite part about this review. I cannot stress enough how great we think the staff at this resort is. They work non-stop. They are always so friendly (us Americans could take a few lessons from them). We did occasionally run into a few employees who did not speak English. We didn't see this as an issue, because we are in their country. I know this resort is all inclusive and tipping is optional but come on people, TIP!!!! They work so hard and are so friendly. They bring you anything you could possibly want with a smile on their face. They deserve tips! One minor complaint we have about the service is the staff in the lobby area. Beware if you ask a question, it WILL turn into a sales pitch. No way around it, I tried. Our suggestion is to either not ask, or deal with the endless sales pitch. That being said, we wanted to take time to mention our absolute favorite staff member, Miguel from Bordeaux. This resort is so lucky to have him. We were just so impressed by him. He was excellent at his job, and took it very seriously. We were fortunate enough to talk to him a couple times while we dined and found him to be a very funny, hard working, young man with great ambition and a kind soul. We could go on and on about how great we thought he was. So kudos to Secrets for having such a great employee! Thank you Miguel for making both nights at Bordeaux memorable!!

OVERALL-

I will end this review by saying, we personally won't be back. The resort itself, did not impress us. It was not the fault of the staff, they were excellent, best I have ever dealt with on any vacation. The resort itself is not as luxurious or nice as it claims to be. It definitely has a long ways to go before it reaches the standards that I expected from their website. We may stay in a different Secrets resort in the future, but definitely not this one. Its not horrible, just not great.

Room Tip: Ask for front of the resort!!! Back half is a whole other world.
3 Thank Miss_Ashley_25
Dear Miss_Ashley_25,

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us and that you were satisfied with our staff, swim-up suite, snorkeling, efficient beach service and cleanliness. We would also like to point out that we have taken note of your concerns and suggestions and they will be forwarded to the respective manager for their deliberation.

We hope to welcome you home again in the near future to Secrets Aura Cozumel so that we can provide you with another wonderful vacation in Cozumel.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We recently (5/25-6/1) stayed at Secrets Aura and had an excellent time! After reading a slew of negative reviews I was quite nervous about our trip but hoped for the best and set out with realistic expectations. We arrived on Saturday afternoon and were warmly greeted with cool towels and a glass of sparkling wine and given our room keys. Our Room -1022 was clean with absolutely gorgeous views. The beach was fantastic and though we brought water shoes we used them one time. We spent every day at the beach although the pools looked lovely. The pools definitely had more of a party crowd and not our scene even though we were by far the youngest people there. We never had any issues getting beach lounges as there are many available on both sides of the pier. I highly recommend walking along the beach when the tide is out because the tide pools are so full of life and interesting things to look at. We brought our own snorkel gear but I saw many people just use the resort provided gear which seemed fine. They also have kayaks available to use which we had a great time doing. It was so nice to be able to snorkel right off of the resort beach. There is lots of life there but it not the best snorkeling we have ever done. The highlight of the trip was going scuba diving with Dive Palancar and Victor our instructor. My boyfriend is certified but I am not so I received a 5 minute crash course and since I am a pretty good swimmer and have no fear of the ocean we had no issue. It was absolutely incredible down there; we swam with sea turtles and several types’ exotic fish. We had massages on the beach the next day and they were great as well! As far as the resort goes, the staff is absolutely the hardest working group of people and quite eager to please. I cannot emphasize enough that these people work for their tips!! Please tip accordingly! Much to our dismay and unfortunately the type of people that largely occupied the resort we did not see much of this so we ended up over tipping because we felt bad for them. We brought and spent $200 of ones and fives just for tips and we were glad we did as the resort did not have change. The restaurant service was always quick and our food was always hot. Bordeaux was a favorite of ours but all restaurants had decent food. We recommend doing the lobster dinner and getting a bottle of wine it gave us a break from the regular menus and the view from Oceana was the best! Overall we had a great trip, the resort was lovely, the people were definitely of a lower caliber but we kept to ourselves, the staff was excellent, and the beach beautiful.

3 Thank kristellclear
Dear kristellclear,

We are glad to hear that we met your overall expectations during your vacation and that you were particularly pleased with the service, staff, the quality of the restaurants and beauty of the property. Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Secrets Aura and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We went to Secrets Aura Cozumel May 27th-June 2. I will give you an overview of the good and the bad :)

Got there on our first day. Had reserved a jr. swim up suite, which are located in the back of the resort. There are 5 buildings in the back and the one building that currently had slides under construction was the one they had placed us in :( which meant we didnt have direct pool access from our room. We said something to the front desk and they next day we got moved to another room that had direct pool access :) We were happy to know that they acknowledged the problem and fixed it to our satisfaction!

Before we traveled I had sent some emails to the resort asking simple questions regarding what was in included in the luxury all inclusive. I had asked what beers served were included and was given a list of 3 that included Dos XX, Coors Light, and another (i cant remember which) My hubby is a coors light man so this was happy info!! Got to the resort and no coors light to be found at any of the bars or restaurants :( after about 4 days we managed to get like 4 through the housekeeping staff in our room but that was all. Only other we could find on the resort was in the SUnscape Sabor side (the neighboring resort that we had full access to that is also owned by the Secrets chain) so we made due.

Beds were very comfortable! Rooms were very nice, though we did have a minor ant problem in our bathroom.

The beach was very well maintained and had many options for free snorkeling, kayaking and catamaran right on the resort. This reef area that we were on did make it a requirement to wear water shoes since there were many rocks along the shoreline and in the water! They fed the fish off the dock and had tons of sea life right off the beach. Rays, different types of fish were plentiful! There were crabs all around the resort and iguanas!

The swim up bar was nice and we loved the bartender Jesus! was a little more difficult to get drinks while in the pool since the swim up side wasn't manned (as I knew from other posts from here) but if you made your presence known and tipped Jesus, he took care of you very well :)

Food was excellent in all the restaurants and beachside as well as pool side. Lots of options! Loved the Portabella Hamburger (portabella mushroom cap with salmon lettuce and tomato and onion) on the room service menu! yummy! We even ate at Sabor a few times. Tried to go to 2 of the restaurants on the Sabor side (El Patio and Portafino) multiple nights and they were always closed so we never did get to eat at them. Bourdaux the french restaurant at aura was amazing when we ate there, so much so that we wanted to go back, but the next time we tried to go it was closed for what I found out later was a group from a travel agency they were wooing which also closed off the back pool area for the evening. :( no bueno...

Lots of activities throughout the day such as bingo or volleyball in the pool and on the beach. The sky bar has a great view but the theme nights are touch and go. 3 out of the 4 nights we went up to the bar for themes (country night, retro night, etc.) they had nothing not even music playing. We did go up our last night there for karaoke and that was happening and people even sang :)

My hubby was there for a birthday trip and his one wish was to go fishing but didnt want to spend $350 to fish alone, since I don't really enjoy that type of thing, so we spoke to the dive shack and within half an hour they found another person who was looking to fish as well and they split the cost! Worked out very well. Ask for Chewy he is great.

The themes on the beach each night were nice, jazz on the beach, casino night, etc. Even managed to win a free parasail trip and a bottle of tequila at casino night! :) The entertainment staff was fun and somewhat sarcastic as well as a little perverted but enough to our liking that we enjoyed it!

The resort was small enough to be quaint and personable, but big enough to provide options with a little variety. Loved the tropical feel to it...didnt look like a high rise on the beach which was exactly what we were looking for. We had never been to Mexico before and this was a nice place for our first visit. Close to downtown, right on the beach.

We rented a car as well and saw the other side of the island, which was recommended by all the staff. It was beautiful!! All recommendations that the staff gave us were great and nothing that was just trying to take our money. When we wanted to go ATVing on a very short time frame, the excursions desk called the usual suspects and they were not able to get us in. They then said to give them a half and hour and they would see what they could do. We came back and they hooked us up with a less expensive option with less site seeing and more down and dirty ATV time which was AWESOME! Loved that all the staff was willing to find things that worked for us and made our trip great!

Would definitely come back, and recommend this to any couple looking for a relaxing getaway with a lot of options!!

Room Tip: Jr. Swim ups were great and have a hammock on all the patios! The ocean view swim ups looked nice a...
1 Thank livingbrown
Dear livingbrown,

It is gratifying to hear that you had a great holiday with us and that you were quite pleased with our staff, food, facilities and atmosphere. We would also like to point out that we have taken note of your tips and suggestions as future guests will them helpful as has respective management team for their deliberation.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to offer you an even more gratifying service experience.

idaho
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We got a screaming deal booking this Secrets in December before they opened. For Cozumel it is a very nice all inclusive; remember this is Mexico and not yet Secretized. They are located near the dive sites and their onsite dive op Dive Palancar was easy to work with and has great prices they will offer package prices. They service Occidental and Secrets and have all of their tanks at Occidental which makes for a nice beach stop between dives. They have both big and small fast boats and break up their groups into about 6 people per dive master. The diving was fabulous and we could do a two tank dive in about 3 hours from the onsite pier. The hobie cats (included) are in great shape and we would sail every day to Occidental and check out the beach along the way. The ocean in front of the hotel is Mexico sand but walkable for miles barefoot (which we did), we had no problem getting in the ocean in front of the resort and the snorkeling is very good with lots of fish, rays, ect.. Many times we would use the pier to access the ocean; jumping off was fun. We brought swim shoes but never used them. The service was friendly and fast for island time. We spent a total of 9 nights and the food got boring. They only have 3 restaurants which serve the same thing over and over mainly steak and fish. The Mexican food was really good and well prepared. The quality of the food was also very good. They bring over the Mexican and Italian menus from Sunscape next door once a week in the Windows restaurant....but by the end we were very sick of the food because there was a lack of variety. You would order the same menu items three times and it was always prepared a little differently; nothing was consistent. We did not have luck with room service (our food was cold and not good) but other guests raved about it. They do not have nightly specials so I would say 6 night is max for an enjoyable dinning experience. There is a drink of the day or they will make any drink you want at the bar. Beer selection is limited to one type. Beach/pool service was good. There was entertainment listed in a newsletter everyday but many times they did not follow through with the entertainment on the newsletter. The guests mostly come from CO, OK, TX and are not the most sophisticated bunch. The guests who have been coming to this Aura for years were a rough party bunch. The pool folks drank like fish and were pretty loud by the end of the day. Bring a float and use it in the ocean and pool for relaxing! Sit under the palm trees and enjoy the amazing ocean view. We brought lots of ones and tipped. The average employee is paid about $200 a month so tipping is very helpful to them.

Room Tip: We stayed in a for 3 nights in a Remodeled 2nd floor Pool View (cheapest room) it was clean, quiet...
2 Thank mtnspirit
Dear mtnspirit,

We are certainly pleased to understand from your wonderful comments that you had an overall experience with us and enjoyed the resort staff and accommodating experience at Secrets. We sincerely appreciate your comments about your dining experience as it has given us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our ability to continually improve on our services with regards to becoming a highly regarded resort in Cozumel.

LOs Angeles
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This has really been the worst experience of scores of vacations. Partly not the fault of the hotel. Day 3 of a huge storm with no end in sight.

Hotel is small and needs lots of TLC. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like before the so called renovation by Secrets. There is one palapa covered outdoor restaurant open during the day in the middle of a huge storm. One could theoretically go to dismal buffet at the neighboring Sunscape. Another story in itself, that looks like a third world motel 6. There is no place to go and no activities of any sort, with the bad weather. We have the highest class of room , the solarium suite, which is unusable in the storm. The room is dingy, sadly in need of painting and the furniture is something that should be put out on the curb for trash pickup. The exception is a very comfortable bed.

The pool area is nice enough, but very small ( that is for the one afternoon we weren't risking death in a lightning storm). The pool restroom is a stinking horrible morass. It is beyond me to understand why some renovation didn't occur in that area.

The staff tries hard to do their best and definitely are the highlight here. They are severely understaffed. Room service is fast. Generally ok.
All but one of the restaurants have been closed at night with the weather. Probably, there is something open at Sunscape, if you felt like risking it. The food we have had has been fine, but often cold and the orders wrong, even though we are ordering in Spanish and repeating.

Once again, not particularly the fault of the hotel, but the vibe of guests is one of general drunken ugly American type behavior. If you are looking for an upscale experience,go elsewhere. If you like screaming, drunk, rowdy, shouting profanity in fellow guests, you will feel at home.

On the good side we had no roaches, or in fact any bugs in our room, as a few people complained of. Our view was nice when we could see more than 20 feet thru the rain.

The back section looks even worse. Weird barriers set up to keep people from using the slides, made out scrape wood with wire and nails sticking out. Yellow tape and rope everywhere.

One can see there might be some hope for the original Aura ocean front section.
It would take a big infusion of cash and labor. The back section seems like it needs to be bulldozed and rebuilt.

It seems like pure opportunism and greed to put a well know corporate brand name on this place. I feel sad for anyone that pays the exorbitant Secrets rates expecting "unlimited luxury". The main focus of the "renovation" seems to be a small shopping area, with hugely overpriced merchandise, and a fancy preferred club, used each time we passed by one couple.

As is we are leaving in day 4 of a 8 day vacation. Since I prepaid a very low rate before the Secrets takeover, I don't expect a refund of any sort and just feel ecstatic to get out.

My experience may have been better, had the weather been nicer,still the general rundown conditions of Secrets Aura would not have changed. I would not return to this hotel, or recommend it.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
2 Thank judi666
Dear judi666,

With that being said, we genuinely regret hearing that you were disappointed with your stay at the Secrets but however guarantee that this is definitely not a true depiction of our standards of operation and certainly not the typical experience of our guests. We nonetheless apologize for any dissatisfaction and we will certainly share your comments with all the respective department managers in order to avoid any other negative opinions.

We are sincerely sorry the hear that you do not intend to return to our resort but nevertheless hope that we will once again have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel so that we can redeem ourselves and offer you the service that you deserve.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cozumel
Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Cozumel Palace
#3 of 51 in Cozumel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,629 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Secrets Aura Cozumel? Share your experiences!