“Hard not to have a great time”

Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Hard not to have a great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

We visited this Secrets the week of April 20th and all I can say is what a great vacation! Some may say it isn’t up the Secrets name but We had a great time. The resort is fantastic in almost ever aspect, the people are great the food was fantastic and rooms very nice. We had a swim up room with a slide to the main pool, I would ask for on of the lower rooms next time, just to save the climb. We ate at all the restaurants and have a hard time picking our favorite; I think Windows gets that honor because of the view. We did go to the buffet next door for one breakfast, the omelets were good but they had the same things and more at Secrets so we stayed on our side. Lunch was also great at Windows but we found pool service for a sandwich or two and some chips kept us right in the fun. All dinners were great, we even had room service for dinner one night to take it easy, quick service and good food. The activitys staff kept things fun without being overpowering so pool time could be quiet or a little crazy depending on what you like.

As with anyplace I can offer things I would change. Bar staffing could have been a little better, not that I ever had to wait more than a moment or two if I wanted a drink. An activities board or something to keep you up to day would also be nice.
All in all we plan to go back for another week as soon as we can. Concierge Justine was available on facebook before our trip and made sure we had a good time. If you don’t have something you want at this resort, just ask they will do anything they can to make sure you have a good time

Room Tip: Swim up is nice but try and get one without the water slide, keeps you closer to the fun!
5 Thank MrHammy
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear David Hamburg,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services and that it was a positive experience. It is very pleasing to read wonderful comments especially from new guests like you, We are thankful for your attention and we will make sure to share your kind words with the above mentioned staff members, so they know they did a good job in providing you with an wonderful holiday. It was also encouraging to hear that you enjoyed your room, restaurants, beach/pool and general hotel facilities. We have also noted the inconsistencies which you observed whilst in-house regarding having more staff and consistent entertainment. I assure you that we will be looking into ways to improve on those areas as I have notified the relevant department heads.Your feedback provided us with an insight of our brand and perception of the services we offer.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,349)
  • Hebrew first
Remsen, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

my husband and i made our first trip to cozumel 4-23-13. we also were leary upon reading earlier reviews. They could not of been more wrong in our opinion. We NEVER had to wait for service of any kind. Meals were good and always a selection of meat or fish. Our waiters Joseph at Windows and multiple waiters at Oceania always made sure we were satisfied with our meals. We will never understand how people had a hard time getting full. Portions were not large but the food was so rich it was all you needed. We always came away from every meal totally satisfied.Water was rocky but with water shoes no problem plus you could basically snorkel out from shore. The 2 girls that served the beach,Arelly and Eugenia were amazing. They served all day up and down the beach making sure everyone had drinks and or food and always with a smile. I sure hope Secrets know what they have with them as employees. Would we go again-hope to next year

8 Thank Deb B
Dear Deb B,

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services, and that your first visit to Cozumel was a positive experience. It is very pleasing to read wonderful comments especially from new guests like you, We are thankful for your attention and we will make sure to share your kind words with the above mentioned staff members, so they know they did a good job in providing you with an wonderful holiday. Your feedback provided us with an insight of our brand and perception of the services we offer.

Locust Grove, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

This vacation has been in the making since 09 when my daddy was sick and we didnt make it dad passed 10/29/2009. we started planning this trip in sept 2012 my hopes and dreams of this vacation was in the making and Daddy was overseeing it,thats why my title heaven from heaven...the first thing I want to say is a big thank you to Justine for making a wish and a request come true I just love floating around the lazy river ,because we spent alot of time in our suite we had a ocean view swim up suite 1214 I cant tell how great it was and yes a great ocean view,the biggest problem we had was the length of time is was going to take to eat at the resturants we went to el patio one night it was going to be an hour to get seated and the resturant next to it 45 mins to get seating so back to the room and room service in 20 min a great meal,,we never ate at the resturants for the fact I take a meds that I have to eat in a timely mannor and waiting that long just wasnt going to work so room service was at great we didnt have to worry and could depend on that,,,so all my packing of pretty dresses and jewerly to match and taking pictures after dinner just didnt happen...so I cant tell about the meals other than the room service is great,but I will tell you the grounds a breath taking our room was very clean I will tell you this the floor in our room was very slick we found out when the celing fan is on and the patio door in open it pulls moisture in so we told the front desk and they put towels down from the patio to the door so I would not be black and blue,,(plafix) I sure can tell are hard workers and are very friendly I feel they would go out of there way for you one day walking the grounds we came across a very sweet lady I told my husband I was not feeling well she was concerned and asked if we needed a medic sure wished I knew her name,,(my short term memory is not good),,so for the most part the beach the pools side was what made our vacation and the workers that come around and the beach and pool asking if you needed any thing was so great full .Now because of my medical issue my husband I really wished could of had a better time he watched over me so much one night a very sweet couple was kind enough to take me to the sky bar and watch me so my husband could just relax in the room ,,so the friends you make at the resort are one of the best memories you can take home the friends you make on facebook are your family to have forever.one day.my health issue happen on the pool side and friends were there helping my dear husband, a big thanks to Jeff and pam,,I really wished I could tell you more but we loved this place but and quiet relaxing time if you dont want do anything but just relax you will still have a great time and be wanting to come back,,my hopes that out next time we can do more and do the things that I had planned but that all fine cause the Richmonds will be back.. Justine and Daniel we love you and thank you for every thing..god bless you

7 Thank oceangal07
Dear Sherry Crisp Richmond,

We are honored to have been able to meet all your needs and expectations at Secrets Aura Cozumel. Our hotel takes great pride in the quality of our service and relaxing ambiance, so it was most encouraging to see that you had only positive comments to share. It was inspiring to hear you praise the quality of our rooms, room service, ambiance and friendly staff. Our team works assiduously to ensure the satisfaction of all our guests so it is also encouraging to hear your positive comments.

Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I've come to realize all-inclusive typically lends itself to food & drinks prepared for the masses and terribly slow service. Secrets Cozumel reaffirmed this expectation.

In all fairness, I'm in my mid-40's and am well traveled with discriminating tastes so please keep that in mind as you read this. I went to Secrets because I host a group of about 20 on an annual excursion and we always pick all-inclusive because most of our guests are younger and it's easier to just pay one price for them.

The Beach: Water is beautiful but you get that all over the Caribbean. The sand at this resort, and perhaps all of Cozumel?, is coarse and tough on the feet. The Beach is also very narrow here and the sea floor is covered in rock. By far my least favorite beach I've experienced anywhere.

The Food: Lunch on the first day was horrible. Food quality unacceptable. Stay away from fried fish and shrimp of any kind. The grouper isn't really grouper. Seriously. That said, breakfast each day was terrific. Dinner was hit or miss. Never great but not awful. If you're a foodie this isn't your place. Even when the food was better it was often served warm at best, never hot.

The Service: Slow and all too often you'd order something and just never get it. Overall the workers were pleasant enough but they just failed to get things done.

My room was an upgraded ocean view in the main building. It was directly outside the housekeepers closet so it was very loud in the morning. No sleeping in. Also, this room type uses an in-room, very small, water heater. As such, we had, at best, 2-3 minutes of hot water for showers. We complained every day and were eventually told it's just the size of the water heater and nothing could be done about it. I expect cold air conditioning and hot water. The AC was great but not having long hot showers really disappointed.

Water in the room had a strong smell of sulfur so at times it was really unpleasant.

The Spa was the highlight. Excellent service and delightful experience.

Overall, I rated Average and that may be generous. It' average for an all inclusive of comparable rates. If you want real luxury with great food and drink options, a wonderful beach, and good service keep looking.

Room Tip: My room was 1021 which put us near the end of the hall next to the housekeepers closet. It's te...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WaltG677
Dear WaltG677,

We are glad that you enjoyed the service of our beautiful Spa, but we apologize for not being able to fully meet your needs especially with regards to the fact that our food and service fell below your expectations. We are sorry that you did not have the chance to speak with our Food and Beverage Manager who would have been only too happy to listen and to offer to make you something special.

We are sincerely sorry the hear that you think we are average and would not return to our resort but nevertheless hope that we will once again have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel so that we can redeem ourselves and offer you the service that you deserve.

Swansea, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had room 1116 which was nice. (except for leaking sink faucet needed towel wrapped around it at all times) Pool entrance was pretty private. That was the best part of our vacation. Beach was unusable for swimming being there are too many rocks for my liking.
Service isn't good. There is no organization at all. Leave you at a dinner table without water glasses and don't ask if you want another drink. (And YES we tipped well)
There is only one person serving the pool area and beach so your better off getting it yourself.
The swim up bar in the activity pool is only attended on the walk up side so service in that pool was close to non existent. Be careful using the water slide the paint is peeling and scrapes your butt.
Food was ok but they need to change up the menu same main courses everyday.
Resort is very quiet maybe a plus if that is what your looking for.
Room service is very quick most of the time. Food was not bad but be careful when ordering sandwiches what is turkey today is ham tomorrow and will insist that it is!
Needless to say they have some work to do if they want to be 5 star.

1 Thank Donna B
Dear DONNAB555,

With that being said, we genuinely regret hearing that you were disappointed with your stay at Secrets with regards to the overall service offered but however we can guarantee that this is definitely not a true depiction of our standards of operation and certainly not the typical experience of our guests. We nonetheless apologize for any dissatisfaction and we will certainly share your comments with all the respective department managers in order to avoid any other negative opinions.

We are sincerely sorry the hear that you do not intend to return to our resort but nevertheless hope that we will once again have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel so that we can redeem ourselves and offer you the service that you deserve.

Warm regards,

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Loved the pools! The lazy river pool was just what we needed to relax and the slides are fun. The two far slides by building 42 are so slow you have to scoot down them. But the slide in the next building is great. Read reviews of people flying off/hurting themselves, not sure how that can happen unless you are acting a fool! The location was great. The beach/ocean is amazing. Not too far from town, 15 min. Although everytime we did go to town, the cabbie charged us a different price. The room was very nice looking, spacious. It was always clean. Have read some people complaining about not getting new towels or sheets, but there are signs stating to leave towels on floor if you want new ones or leave the card on the bed for new sheets. First resort we have stayed at where you can actually get english stations! Yes, we like a little tv before bed. The bed was horrible! It was like sleeping on concrete. We had to continuously ask to have the fridge stocked with water. One day we had to ask three times. The food is good, but not a big selection, Had much better at other resorts. The staff was a big disappointment. They acted like making a drink, serving the food was a bother to them. No smiles, friendly chatter like have experienced at other places. One night we tried to get a table for 5 and waited for an hour and half before just giving up. The staff continued to sit 2, 3 tops while we waited and refused to put two tables for us. They told us three times we should just sit separately. The activities, when they had them, were fun. You get a resort newsletter every evening with the next days activities, but sometimes what was supposed to be going on didn't happen. they sky bar was cool, fun for late nighters. still not sure if i would come here again.....if the service had been better i wouldn't even think twice. but for the money, i expected better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smile1108
Dear smile1108,

We are so glad to see that you enjoyed our lazy pool, water slides feature and other amenities provided at the resort .With that being said, we genuinely regret hearing that you were disappointed with the attitude of our staff and entertainment at the Secrets but however guarantee that this is definitely not a true depiction of our standards of operation and certainly not the typical experience of our guests. We nonetheless apologize for any dissatisfaction and we will certainly share your comments with all the respective department managers in order to avoid any other negative opinions.

We are sincerely sorry the hear that you do not know if you would not return to our resort but nevertheless hope that we will once again have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel so that we can redeem ourselves and offer you value for the service that you deserve.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Hotel itself is ok. We chose Aura for our Honeymoon because the Palace had no ocean view available and Aura did. I can't say we didn't have ocean view cause you could see a little through Palm Trees. Room 1127 :( There was sewage odor in bathroom. We were told we could get another room the next day but it didn't happen. The bed was comfortable but we did notice same sheets were left on the bed. The slippers and robes offered are used by others. The room & bathroom was cleaned by housekeeping everyday just no fresh sheets. The food is good. We ate at oceanna,windows & bourdeaux. Our first afternoon & into the evening was great. You show your a tipper and they are at your service. The drinks kept coming and when we were hungry that was not a problem. We told the young lady what we wanted and she brought it to us. Dinner was set up on the beach with a variety of choices and it was right up my alley considering I was in Mexico and wanted to feast on Mexican dishes. Excellent. Second day my husband and I had the spa treatment along with massage right on the beach. Well worth it. Excellent. After that we did a snorkeling excursion. Fantastic. Albertos. They were very friendly and wanted to be sure they showed you all the beautiful reefs and tropical fish. We were booked with albertos the next day for our deep sea fishing as well. It was suppose to be a four HR trip but turned into a six cause they wanted everyone to try to catch a fish. I was the only one who caught one and there was four in our group. They tried but that's how fishing goes sometimes. After we had arrived back to beach my husband discovered that other fishing excursions who went towards Cancun caught a lot of fish. They also clean & fillet the fish for you. We know for next time. We joined My sister at the swing bar for a drink and she told us about the grill next to us if we were hungry. Ok but YUCK. We ordered burgers and the parties was just awful. Quesadillas weren't any good either. We decided to go back to room to shower and nap and get ready for dinner. Bourdeaux if you like French. All portions are small but you can order as many entrée as you like. This is for all restaurants. If you don't want the same thing the next evening. You definitely have to eat at a different restaurant and men don't forget to wear pants and shirts with sleeves but women can go in with there Daisy dukes and spaghetti straps shirts. Ok. Whatever. After dinner we went for a night stroll around hotel and YUCK we almost lost our dinner. Found sewage smell behind aura hotel and going into savor. Horrible just horrible. Restaurants, excursion trips, beach dinner & spa treatment plus our cocktail waitress made our Honeymoon good but we both agreed the hotel is overrated especially for the price and don't see them improving like others mention. We will not return here. Pay attention to reviews and don't do like us and say well we'll see for ourselves. First trip to Cozumel and for all inclusive but last time for Aura. It shouldn't remain a SECRET!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank ericaaspears
Dear ericaaspears,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon based on our Restaurants, excursion trips, beach dinner, spa treatments and cocktail staff. With that being said, we genuinely regret hearing that you were disappointed with your stay at Secrets but however guarantee that this is definitely not a true depiction of our standards of operation and certainly not the typical experience of our guests. With regards to the smell and housekeeping we apologize for any dissatisfaction and will certainly share your comments with all the respective department managers in order to avoid any other negative opinions.

Warm regards,

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cozumel
Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Cozumel Palace
#2 of 51 in Cozumel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,602 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Secrets Aura Cozumel? Share your experiences!