“Noooooo Reservations”

Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Cochrane, Canada
“Noooooo Reservations”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I'll keep it simple, no F'n around with the bed changes, filling up my fridge, the portions are too small, come on I have read so many negative reviews about this place it makes me wonder about the integrity of the people who are posting. I understand if you are 6/7 figure earners and the nose is in the air and expect Sven to do everything, but us, we are just simple folk that appreciate the smiles and the dedication of all the people of Secrets. That is what I see !! It is not about me, but all of us at the resort. Please embrace the People, Sun, Sand, Ocean, Birds, Mexican Food, and of course the Premium booze. That's my rant, being Canadian we tend to appreciate everyone and that is a very good thing. Secrets Aura Cozumel is a great resort that has everything you want, 5 min to check in, drinky and a cool down towel, swim up room, food, and booze. Only thing missing was a camp fire. Maybe next time. Go World !!!!!

12 Thank HortonCoc
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear HortonCoc,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are delighted to receive such positive comments. We have shared them with our team and we are all very proud to have exceeded your expectations.We appreciate your mention of the highlights of your trip in our hotel: scenic property, facilities, top shelf liquor, nature, Mexican food, friendly staff and beautiful ocean. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to a sunny, relaxing and peaceful stay at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

I really hope we can welcome you back again for a romantic getaway, we will do our best to make your stay was as enjoyable as this one.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,390)
  • Hebrew first
Nokomis, Florida
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at Secrets Aura Cozumel April 21-28th, 2013, and as the title of the review reads, our room and locked safe were broken into by an employee of Secrets.

We have been staying with the Secrets/Dreams chain for several years, and have been to many of their locations. We enjoy their high standards in all departments, and we tend to stay at their new or newly purchased resorts, so we do allow for some growing pains. Also we are 'members' of their Unlimited Vacation Club or UVC, which , has its own set of growing pains that need worked out.

Our initial room was in the rear of the resort, 3rd floor, pool view, decent room, but not too much bathroom privacy. However, because we were UVC members, we got an outstanding upgrade on day to to an oceanfront suite, living/dining room, bedroom, huge closet and nice bathroom, wooden spiral staircase to the huge 3rd floor with a rooftop terrace, no additional charge.....WOW, great room, great view, Thank you, Pepe, makes us feel much better about being UVC members.

The alcohol flows freely everyewhere througout the resort, and the food in every restaurant is above average, with some exceptional entrees at a few places (Chicken Parm special at Windows was absolutely outstanding) and Salmon and grouper at Oceana were great as well. The manager , Roger, was always on his game, probabaly the best at his job at most any resort i've been a guest, his servers were the best by far, and he does not let your drink go empty. Breakfast is a weak point, but the coffee is strong and the servers are quick and friendly, Angel was probably the most personable, great job to the restaurant service staff throughout. The only adults only restaurants are the Oceana, Windows and Bordeaux, all located in Aura, The Patio, Portofino, and Seaside grill are on the Sabor side, which is kid friendly:(, so we tried, but were very annoyed by several obnoxious children......so, we just stayed on the Aura side.

The beaches are nice, however, there are 0 palapas, only palm trees for shade, they need to install at least a dozen palapas( Hope somebody at Secrets is listening!!) The beach servers are friendly, and there are no beach gypsies trying to sell their junk:)

Finally, the break in:(
Friday April 26, we left our room after breakfast for the pool/beach area around 9am, we did our normal procedure, locked our safe and room and off to enjoy the resort. We returned to our room about 3pm, to find we could not access our room safe. We called the front desk and they sent an employee to override our safe and reset our code. Soon thereafter, i went to get some more tip money out of our envelope, to find that approx. three hundred dollars had been stolen from both of our wallets and our 'tip' envelope. The theif had left $60 usd in my wallet, my wifes wallet and a handful of ones in our 'tip' envelope. (I guess he figured we wouldn't notice if he left us a little....wrong!!) We contacted security, and the hotel concierge(Miguel), who began an investigation. They found, an employee of the hotel had accessed our room, and used his override code to open our safe, however, he could not reprogram our code, therefore the lockout(BE AWARE, IF YOU GET LOCKED OUT OF YOUR SAFE THAT IS A RED FLAG THAT YOU'VE BEEN ROBBED TOO!!)
The security staff, confirmed the situation, and even though our Friday at the resort was ruined, by Sat morning, the employee that committed the crime had been detained by staff and was being arrested by local Police for theft, breaking and entering, as well as trespassing. He admitted to the crime but showed nor remorse.
The resort refunded our stolen cash, offered us a a Spa package , and were very, very apologetic. The manager, Daniel, was very professional, and even though the situation had occured, they were quick to have it resolved. They do need to increase the security measures, but that is for them to figure out. We may return to the Secrets/Dreams chain, but we will not return to Aura, Sorry:(

We spoke with other guests about what happened to us, and they had been locked out of their safe too, after a recount, some thought they were victimized as well, were you??

In conclusion, Don't be fooled, the safe in your room is not safe, no matter which resort you choose. Hide your money, and be careful, thieves can be anywhere, even hiding behind a fake smile and a Hola!

3 Thank Jon P
Dear Jon P,

We sincerely apologize about the incident regarding the theft of your safe which we handled with immediate effect. We tried to improve your experience with us after this unfortunate situation but unfortunately we could not reach our main objective of guest satisfaction. However, regarding the employee in question he was detained immediately and your money was returned but as you stated no matter where you go there can always be a breach of security. We understand that you are loyal customer to the AMRESORTS hotels but I do hope we are going to be able to restore your confidence into our brand in your next stay.We appreciate your feedback as it provides us with information that is helpful in identifying those areas of opportunity we may be overlooking.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Dear Sir or Madam,

My husband and I just returned from a vacation in Cozumel Mexico at Secrets Aura Resort from April 23 to April 29. We have had a previous vacation at a secrets in Montego Bay which we totally enjoyed, so we decided to book at another Secrets for my husband's 50th birthday.

We called a week prior to the vacation to the resort in Cozumel confirming our room and clearly stating I need an easy access room due to ankle injury and walking problem. They assured us it was not problem and all is taken care of. I also e mailed the resort just to make sure there was no misunderstandings.

Arriving at the hotel we checked in to what we thought was going to be our easy access beautiful pool view junior suite swim up room. To my dismay it was the opposite to easy access with no beautiful pool view. We was given a room on the upper level with a slide down to the pool and the view was blocked by large palm trees. I could not use the slide to get down to the pool so the only way was to leave my room and walk down a long slope and the same way back to the room. We decided not to make a fuss and make the best of the situation.

Once unpacked we started a slow walk down to find the beach and restaurants. While walking along the beach along the property line by the restaurants I felt something sharp under my left foot and stopped to see what it was to my surprise it was bleeding badly and a large piece of skin was hanging . I sat down while my husband went for help. Somebody from the dive shop kindly gave me a chair and water to place my foot in while he sent for the first aid assistant. When first aid help arrived he said I needed to go with him to the office for treatment. After hobbling with my foot bleeding NO suggestion of a wheelchair, he administered treatment, I had to have the skin hanging cut away, then the hole which I had in my foot cleaned. He told me I would need to go on Cipro, an antibiotic for six days because there was a possibility for infection. He made a call to a Doctor and a taxi was sent to pick up the medication which I paid for in cash. I left the first aid office with my foot wrapped up and no extra dressings because he said he had none to give me. My husband went to buy dressing at the resort shop but they didn't have any not even Band-Aids so once again a taxi was sent to get some from a local store.

The injury left me barely able to walk and that made our room even more of a problem. My husband went to the front desk and explained what had happened and asked for a room on lower level, ( which we had booked and paid for) we told them we wasn't worried about swim up just an easy access room, after all now with the injury and possibilities of infection I couldn't swim but the only way they would move us was if we paid more money which I think was another $100 each per night. We asked to speak to someone in management and they said they would send someone to talk to us. About an hour later someone came but it was one of the entertainment employees not management. We was informed they would not do anything because the beach belongs to the Mexican Government not Secrets. I was in total disbelief. We declined to spend the extra money and I spent the next 3 days using room service and an upset stomach from the Cipro in tears in the room.

On the Saturday April 27th my husband had had enough and he went to the front desk and said he would pay to move us and we got a beach view non swim up room for the last two days with easier access to the amenities.

After spending a week at a Secrets Resort previously and was completely satisfied with the staff and amenities I just couldn't understand this kind of treatment and non compassion from this Secrets Aura. I understand it has just been taken over by Secrets, but in my opinion it clearly is NOT up to Secrets standards and not an upscale resort. After experiencing Secrets Resort in Montego Bay and its outstanding entertainment and amenities that was why this vacation was booked for my husband's 50th. From this vacation we have just been left with such a huge disappointment and an extremely large waste of money. We don't feel like we had a vacation at all and that is disheartening after working and saving over the past two years for.

2 Thank teresa5802
Dear teresa5802,

On behalf of Management we are extremely apologetic that we have not had the honor to meet you while you were on property during your recent vacation.We very much regret that we could not meet your expectations in various areas. We understand that there were exceptional lapses in communication which obviously do not reflect our usual high service standards which you can rightfully expect at our property. We have already taken corrective actions with the team and intensified our internal control procedures. I do hope we are going to be able to restore your confidence into our Secrets Resorts brand in your next stay as I will reach out to you via email.

Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I'll start off by saying... between my wife and I, this is by far our favorite AI in Mexican Riviera. We stayed April 18-25 and have been to Mexico several times at other AI's. We were there last year and really loved the experience so we booked again under the Secrets brand and we were not disappointed. Although they have made some changes, they are pretty subtle and didn't affect our vacation. We stayed on the 2nd floor of the preferred club building with a ocean view room. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. They always kept the fridge stocked with beer,soft drinks, juice and a complementary bottle of Champagne. They also supplied us with small booze bottles, Pringles and M&M's for being in the preferred club...nice touch. We also had our own concierge but didn't bother. We had a descent amount of American tv channels which comes in handy while waiting for the wife to get ready:) Drinks were excellent and they offered good choices for an AI (Absolute,Crown,1800,Baileys,Captain to name a few). As the other reviewer wrote, the preferred club bar was not well attended to... we were not bold enough to pour our own drinks, although we did think about it. As an added bonus at the pool bar the Dolphin Cheerleaders stopped in for a bit and did a few dance numbers which we thought was pretty cool. That's what they call- being in the right spot at the right moment..if you know what I mean. Restaurants tended to be slower in the evening but that doesn't bother us... we have no where else to be, have a cocktail and relax, you're on island time. Not making reservations at the restaurants is the best part as other frequent AI guests would agree too. The beach is fine and the water is beautiful. It is rocky getting into the water so we just jump off of the pier. The snorkeling is great with all kinds of aquatic life to be seen. We love the fact that you don't get beat up by large waves like you do on the mainland, the water is much more tranquil in Cozumel which provides for better water recreation. So don't worry, you didn't waste your money by booking here. Besides, we all know why we travel to AI's in Mexico...Bingo! To get the most for our $'s. So you travel snobs out there... get off your high horses and quit whining and pretending, we know you would rather be in the South Pacific at the Ritz but you can't afford it. So sit back, relax and enjoy the exceptional service that Secrets Aura provides.

Room Tip: Get a Ocean View room.... It's well worth the extra money. It was nice watching the sun go down...
8 Thank beechbumz4life
Dear beechbumz4life,

We appreciate that you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: scenic property, amenities, top shelf drinks friendly staff and beautiful beach and aquatic life. Your words with regards to our facilities and services are greatly appreciated as well of your constructive comments especially because you are a returning guest. We are certain your review will prove invaluable to other travelers.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again the near future.

east vail
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Cozumel April 20 - 27th and had a fantastic time. We had read the reviews prior to traveling and did have some concerns, especially regarding rooms that were paid for and not received. We did have some of those problems, however the staff (Daniel and Sandy) fixed the problem quickly and we were on our way to a wonderful vacation. We both are divers and used a different Dive operator (Sea Robin) than the one offered at the resort (which is good if you want to have 10 - 15 divers on your boat, cattle boats at their finest) and there was no problem using the pier on site for our pickups. This is nice especially when other resorts make you pay for the use of the pier if not using the in house dive shop. The food at the restaurants was probably the best we have had at an all inclusive, (I should know food I am a GM for a 4 star in a resort area). Also the best part about the restaurants is your are not limited to 1 visit to each and stuck with a buffet the rest of the time (which is available next door if that is what you prefer and is very good). I also like the no reservation aspect, but will warn you that if you are wanting to eat at 7:30 you will have a wait, so just have a cocktail and enjoy the people or person you are with. On our last day we had a massage at the spa and it was fantastic. The service at the resort was very friendly, a little slow, but that is anywhere in Mexico. We did take the opportunity to see other rooms (swim up garden view and Ocean Front which we stayed in) at the resort and are all wonderful and have been updated.
Overall we were very happy here and as I stated in the title finally a hotel in Cozumel we want to stay at again

6 Thank scubafreak68
Dear scubafreak68,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks as a hotelier are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are very pleased to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to thank you for letting us know how satisfied you were with the service you received.Your compliments of the hotel facilities, rooms, food and staff members are very much appreciated. We have shared your kind words with the team here at the hotel.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Chose this hotel for our group of 7 couples who have been vacationing in Cozumel every 2 years for about 10 years. Our group includes scuba divers and non-divers. Used to stay at the Occidental Grand, but decided to try Aura in search of better restaurant experience. At Aura, the restaurants offer sit-down, rather than buffet service. No reservations--just show up when you like. We had no problems getting tables within 5-10 minutes between 7-8pm. Unlike many all-inclusives, It was easy to get tables for 6 or 8 people. Food and presentation were fantastic at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

ROOM: We stayed in a swim-up pool suite in building 42. Buildings 42 and 44 surround one pool and are furthest from the ocean. I believe the buildings closest to the ocean are the preferred club rooms. Our room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. No "moisture" issues from the swim-up feature as the pool is well separated from the room by a good sized patio. Steps off the patio make it easy to step into the pool. (Incidentally, swim-up rooms do not really connect with all the other swim-up rooms, and the 3 swimming pools are not connected, so it was a little misleading in the website photos.) A/C in our room worked well most of the time, but twice it didn't seem to be cooling. We contacted the front desk and within minutes the problem was corrected.

STAFF: All the staff were polite, friendly, and eager to help us have a great time. Waitresses that serviced the pool and beach areas and many hostesses and waiters in the restaurants remembered our names. We usually tip $1 for each drink and left about the same per person at the restaurants. Many of the restaurant staff did not speak a lot of English but this was never a problem for us.

SCUBA DIVING: Dive Palancar is the best dive operator on Cozumel. Their boats and rental equipment are well-maintained. I can't say enough good things about the dive staff. They are professional, safety conscious, great at finding cool stuff in the ocean, and always a lot of fun. Many divers in our group have 300-500+ dives. Dive Palancar staff have been wonderful at working with some of our brand new divers over the years and have been great at mentoring our less-experienced friends. Aura is close to Palancar reef and most dive sites are less than a 15 minute boat ride.

SPA: The spa is located at the Sabor--the sister hotel next door. Guests at Aura can use all the facilities at Sabor. My friends and I had 6 spa services and we all agreed they were excellent. Spa concierge came around the pool at Aura and could book services for you that day or for future dates. There were "free" discount coupons that gave you $40 off 50 and 80 minute massages. I paid $129 (not-including tip) for an 80 minute Swedish massage. Was so good I returned later in the week and had another--just as good--with another therapist.

Overall loved the vacation and would stay at Aura again.

Room Tip: Preferred club rooms are closest to the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nowork2017
Dear Nowork2017,

We appreciate your mention of the highlights of your trip in our hotel: room comfort, great dive facilities, amenities, delicious food, friendly staff and beautiful beach.We are delighted to receive such positive comments. We have shared them with our team and we are all very proud to have exceeded your expectations. We hope that we will be able to welcome you and your group back to sunny Cozumel for another relaxing vacation.

Bedford, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Every vacation is what you make it. Our recent visit to Secrets Aura (April 13-20) was very relaxing and we came home rejuvenated. This is an honest review from the perspective of a travel agent who is well travelled.

We passed through immigration quickly but had to wait for the drug sniffing dogs to do their thing. There wasn’t too much of a hold up and we managed to get a shuttle right away…perhaps 45 minutes in total. We ignored the time share people and went straight to the shuttle counter to get our tickets.

We were one of two arrivals at the hotel so check in was quick and smooth. The only issue encountered was the inability to process American Express since the Amex machine was down…it was down during our entire stay. Luckily we have several credit cards but this could be a deal breaker for those that want to accumulate points attached to an Amex card.

Room:

We were given a penthouse suite 1430 with a fairly large rooftop pool, second bathroom and lovely ocean view. I have no complaints about the room or décor but the addition of a full length mirror and outdoor sun bed on the upper deck would be a good enhancement. There is a lot of wasted space on the rooftop deck and I couldn’t help feel that they could really make that the wow factor of the living space with some improvements. The bed was the most comfortable I’ve slept in while on holiday. I looked at two other rooms types – Ocean view junior suite preferred section (not swim up) but literally you open your door and you are on the beach. I also looked at one of the Junior Suites at the back of the resort. They have been completely remodeled and are very nicely decorated. I cannot vouch for the comfort of the bed but the room was nice with full length mirror, separate vanity table, small table and chairs on the deck along with a hammock. The maid service was consistent and we had no issues with our mini bar being refilled.

I will break this review down into the 1st half of our stay and the 2nd half.

1st half – Saturday to Wednesday

Meals:

This is not 5-star cuisine, but very good by all inclusive standards. We ate dinner at the Oceana, Bordeaux, Beach Party, Windows and Oceana the first 5 nights of our stay. Overall, we enjoyed our dinners with the exception of Bordeaux being underwhelming...the service was very mechanical…no refill of wine, no interaction with the wait staff and the food was passable. The food at the beach party was not great but I’ve been to many events like this that tend to have standard fare in mass quantities buffet style. We enjoyed breakfast. The eggs benedict were served on an uncooked hamburger bun which turned quite mushy. I must commend Angel and Francisco for their exceptional service. We took turns at Windows and Oceana for lunch. There were some hits and misses with lunch but overall the food and service were very good. We did not encounter any excessive wait times for any of our meals in the first 5 days of our trip. We found the wait staff to be friendly and hard working. We are not heavy drinkers and had no issues by the pool or beach acquiring a drink when we wanted one. We tried room service only once and it was so bad on that occasion that we were afraid to try it again. I ordered Margarita Pizza and my husband beef pasta. The pizza dough was flat bread (uncooked) with no pizza sauce…a few tomatoes and melted cheese...I’ve never encountered a pizza that I could not stomach until now. The one lunch we had at the Market buffet next door at Sabor was equally bad. I’m not sure how the guests cope there for a week.

Drinks:

Most of the top shelf brands that we enjoy were available. The house wine was drinkable if you’re not a wine Connoisseur…we heard several people commenting on how bad it was…I’ve had much worse at other all inclusive resorts. The blended drinks were ok. We served ourselves at the preferred club when the bar tender was absent…and a few other guests that were waiting for drinks. No one seemed to mind as it appears unattended during the daytime hours.

Beach:

The beach is lovely to look at. We brought water shoes knowing full well that it would be a little tricky to get in or out of the ocean by walking in. I didn’t think this would be such an issue for me but it was. I love swimming in the ocean and missed being able to walk in without stumbling around. I went off the wharf mostly but the boat traffic hampered my enjoyment a little. Walking the beach is a painful experience without water shoes. I broke my toe on a rock that was unexposed on my second last day walking back from the water sports centre next door. The snorkeling off the beach next door is not too bad on a clear calm day…two out of four attempts we were satisfied with the fish we saw. I would recommend a snorkel trip for better exposure to a real reef unless it is your first time snorkeling otherwise you may be disappointed. This really is a dive destination with dive boats coming and going all day. They have some fantastic sites offshore.

Pool:

We spent all of our time at the beach area and beach pool as it was fairly quiet. The water in the pool was warmer than the ocean and we enjoyed the lazy river when you could manage to get a float. Some people hogged these even when they weren’t using them. There appeared to be no issue getting chairs at the beach or pool as long as you were up by 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. We are early risers so no problem for us. Some people put towels on the chairs and they would only use them for an hour or two in the afternoon…very inconsiderate. Do not use your float to go down the slides…there was a very serious accident just before we arrived. Some people are not thinking straight about personal safety when they attempt these silly child maneuvers.

Resort:

The resort is very well kept and the grounds are lovely. The only beef I have is they allow smoking everywhere except the restaurants so there are cigarette butts strewn along the beach…sad since there appears to be more than enough ash trays around for use. I would prefer that they designate a smoking area as most resorts now do.

Activities:

We were in full relaxation mode and did not partake in many activities. We enjoyed the guitar player and the sax player the two nights near Oceana. We also enjoyed the fire show from our seat while dining at Windows. We went to the Sky Bar once and it wasn’t our thing…we had the same view from our room and tended to watch the sunset from there. We dine fairly early, take a walk around the resort, have a nightcap and are usually ready to retire by 10:00 p.m. so no issue for us that there isn’t any later entertainment. We attended the cooking class which really isn’t a cooking class…they made guacamole served with chips. It was good but we had hoped to learn how to cook a Mexican dish.

Tours:

We had considered a jeep tour but 8 hours seemed like an excessive duration. We also looked at renting a jeep but didn’t want the worry of finding our way around the island, gas fill up and driving a stick when my husband is used to automatic. We also wanted to stop for drinks at Coconuts on the east side of the island. We asked the tour desk and they indicated that hiring a taxi would be more than double cost of a tour. After talking to some other guests that hired a driver, we decided to approach the concierge on the preferred side to ask about this option. He knew of a relative of a co-worker that worked as a cab driver. We came to the agreement of US110.00 for 4 hours with the option to extend if needed. He took us to a tequila shop in town that offers a commentary, the ruins at San Gervasio, 2 stops on the east coast including Coconuts bar and the light house at Punta Sur on the southern tip. It was very hot and exhausting to walk the ruins in 36 degree weather. The ruins almost ruined me! I saw a very nice pair of earrings there but my Mastercard could not be processed so I had to pass…take lots of cash. I’ve never had so many issues with credit card payment. The cab driver only took cash and we had limited funds with us which we wanted to reserve for tipping the staff at Secrets. Finally, the cab driver charged us an extra 30.00 for the hour after he quoted 15.00 but we weren’t going to haggle so gladly paid him the US140.00 for 5 hours. I feel we were also overcharged for our cab back to the airport. Agree on a price before getting into the cab.

Last 2 days of our trip:

We had read reviews before we left about the slow service and we had thought that the reviewers must have been whiners or very hard to please. We had no indication of these issues in the first 5 days of our trip. Unfortunately, Thursday arrived and the hotel appeared to be at full capacity. It seemed very crowded around the pool, beach and restaurants. Wait service at the beach was almost nonexistent and drinks were forgotten on several occasions. Not a big deal for us…we can get up and get our own. Thursday evening we dined at Windows and the service was terrible (for us). There was a VIP sitting two tables ahead of us receiving personal service from the head waiter. The waiter was at their table no less than 25 times. We sat with empty water glasses and it took a long time for our food to come so our wine glass needed refilling. After 25 minutes, I got up and went to the bar in the lobby to get us wine. We did not see the waiter for another 15 minutes after that with our food and no apology for the delay.

The next day breakfast service was not quite as good as it had been but not terrible. We decided to give Bordeaux a second chance for our last night. The service started out very impersonal…no real greeting…menus given and no one returned to take a drink order or give us water. We ordered our food and wine at the same time. 20 minutes later our first course came out and we still didn’t have wine or water. I asked if we could please have some wine and water and a few minutes later they came to fill our glasses. We ate the first few courses and no one bothered to check on us to see if we needed anything else…water glass empty…wine glass empty. We waited about 25 minutes after our main course before getting up to leave since I think they forgot about us. The thing that compelled us to complain to the hostess on our way out, since we did not want to cause a scene in the restaurant was the wonderful service other people seem to be experiencing. We came dressed elegantly…we are polite Canadians…Gracia…por favor etc. and we were treated as if we were invisible. Other waiters were introducing themselves…can I get you something from the bar or wine?…Is there anything else I can get you for now?…how are you enjoying your meal?...can I interest you in desert?...we had none of that. We didn’t find out about the nightly special until we overheard another waiter telling someone else about it…after we finished our meal. Our waiter saw that we left and were talking to the hostess. He came out to see what was wrong. When he found out I was a Master Agent and would be writing a report to the hotel regarding my stay there…he was very sorry and wondered what he could do. It was our last night and it was a missed opportunity for Bordeaux to redeem my opinion. We went to Oceana for dessert where they welcomed us with open arms and gave us exceptional service. I will say that when we got back to the room there was sparkling wine and desserts waiting for us. It was a nice gesture but we can’t help feeling that it was a nice meal and good service that we deserved in the first place…rather than a dessert and wine that we could not enjoy at 10:00 p.m. prior to getting in bed.

I would say that I saw the staff working very hard and no one sits around idle doing nothing. I think it is a matter of being short staffed when at full capacity. Most of the staff was very friendly and we found that tipping certainly helped but did not seem to be expected. The resort has some improvements to make before I am ready to give my full stamp of approval to send our elite clientele to this location. They seem to be trying so I think it’s only a matter of time before it will be up to Secrets standards.

Room Tip: We had room 1430 which had one of the largest private pools. Swim up rooms looked like fun. Choose...
6 Thank Crazyfourtravel
Dear Crazyfourtravel,

We are very happy to learn that you had an enjoyable vacation and that you were pleased with our overall product as another person in the travel industry. Unfortunately I can see that you did not enjoy all the services we provided to you and I do apologize for any shortcomings from our side. We are disappointed to read about your experience with service in our restaurants and food quality. This is of course is not the kind of memory we want our guests to keep. We have already taken corrective actions with the team by offering more intense guest service training and implemented better internal control procedures.We appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team and your review is very motivating as it reflects that we continuously exceed our guests’ high expectations.