“Best in Cozumel”

Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Scottsdale
“Best in Cozumel”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We are picky. We went with a group of 14 this past week. All I can say, is if you go with an open mind and realize this is Mexico, you will be fine. The place is working very hard to please its guests. I have stayed at most of the hotels on the island and have been to Cozumel 20+ times. I was worried upon reading the reviews ahead of time, don't be. If you are looking for perfection, then forget Cozumel, and I am a perfectionist, so you have to work with where you are at. End of day, the staff will do whatever they can to make you happy. Also, food/drink is great, and you can drink and eat all you want, order as much food/drink you want. The beach is the best on the island. Cozumel is not the mainland (Cancun/Akumal/Playa), so they don't have white sand smooth beaches anywhere on the west coast where the hotels are. So this beach is a bonus, and yes you need water shoes. If you walk up the beach either direction, you will see how fortunate you are at this resort.

Room Tip: Room service is the best. Order 24 hrs. They deliver in 10 - 15 min, and the food is better, hotte...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
13 Thank JeffF75
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Jeff F,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product. We are all pleased and honored to receive comments like yours. It is very gratifying for us to know that we could meet your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay here with us in Cozumel.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience in the near future.

Kind regards,

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,390)
  • Hebrew first
Amherstburg, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We travelled from March 9 - 16 and it's taken me a while to write my review because I wasn't sure how to do it. It was going to be really wordy but then I figured I'll just write as short a review as I can and if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them just send me a message. We did lots of research before booking and were really excited about Aura until we found out about the changes and read recent reviews before our trip. We ended up having a great vacation at a fantastic resort that needs some small fixes.

Check in: was a bit confusing and it wasn't busy when we arrived. I guess I'm used to standing in line at a counter and checking in but here you sit in chairs and I wasn't sure who was next and I don't think the staff knew either. This was the worst part of our vacation (check in and waiting for our room). We got mixed messages about our room being ready, first it was then it wasn't so we waited a few hours.

Room: we had requested ocean view and were given what I call "palm tree" view. Open the curtain and there are the palm trees (literally in your face). I could see the ocean if I crouched really low and went to the right on our balcony. Anyway the rest of the room was great! Clean and large!! We were given an opportunity to change rooms and ended up in the perferred club in a spectacular room! It was amazing (1420). Great service from cleaning to turndown service!

Food: breakfast and lunch were good. We ate at the buffet next door a few times for breakfast beacuse there was just more of a variety and of course it was faster. When we ate breakfast on our resort we ate at Oceana (good chilaquilles) not sure how to spell it. My husband and I love authentic Mexican food and unfortunately this was hard to come by on the resort (strange but true). Dinner was difficult for me because they offered lots of seafood and I'm not a big fan of fish. They had chicken options but I eat chicken all the time at home and wanted something different. Sometimes I would order 2 appetizers and dessert. I made due. My husband enjoyed most of the food but said some of it tasted as though it had been frozen. We did not enjoy Bourdeax at all! We didn't eat at Windows although I heard good things. We never waited long for food. Menu seemed to be the same every day (options would've been great). My husband loved the beach dinner. It was his favourite meal. My favourite was off the resort in town when we went shopping (really good Mexican food).

Entertainment: lacking but I think they try. We went to Sky bar every night to see what was going on but there was always a small crowd. I think the lack of seating in an area like that makes it difficult for people to socialize. Bar stools would have been great. Other resorts usually have seating where people can hang out and be social.

Staff: hard working!!!!!! They aim to please!

Pools: cold but nice to look at and sit around during the day. Couldn't get in to the pool because it was cold. We didn't go to the pool with the slides so I can't comment on that one. I preferred the view at the main pool.

Beach/ocean: nice, clean, many loungers, comfortable. Yes you need water shoes to enter from the beach or you can jump off the dock. Don't forget it's a snorkelers/divers island.

Drinks: not bad (I didn't like the bar lime they used). My husband always found something. You really don't need your own oversized mug. The glasses are a nice normal size. Order 2 if your that thirsty.

This was our third time to Cozumel (we love it) and this was by far the nicest resort we've been to. Great service on the beach and pool (yes it took awhile but we had time to wait), beautiful view and room (after we moved), and we met lots of nice people. We came home relaxed and tanned and wanting to return.

Thank you to Justine for finding me the view I had wanted when we booked the resort!!!!
We will return to Cozumel and Secrets Aura.

Oh I almost forgot about the spa! Very nice! We loved it!

Room Tip: Loved our corner room in the perferred club (1420). Great views from there. Others seemed to really...
5 Thank newflyer00
Dear newflyer00,

We appreciate your feedback as it provides us with information that is helpful in identifying those areas of opportunity we may be overlooking. We are committed to listening to our guests as we did and made sure that you got the view of your choice so that you could enjoy your vacation with us. We constantly try to improve our services so that in the future we can ensure total guest satisfaction. We will share your review with the relevant department heads so that we can exercise better control regarding check in and activities.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience.

East Moline
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We have been staying in this location for 10 years from Reef Club to Wyndham to Sabor to Secrets-different owners. We stayed in Islander Suites, formerly Sabor, now Secrets. Unknown to us prior to arrival, we received access to every restaurant with excellent food, great towel service, an excellent guitarist 2 evenings and many other amenities. Staff is friendly and efficient. Just say no to the time share talk and everything is great!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 27thave
Dear 27thave,

The best reward that we can have is your compliments.We are very delighted to know that you had an enjoyable experience and that our staff members have provided you with an excellent service.

West Charlton,NY
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have stayed in Silver Sands in Cancun and absolutely loved it (Feb 2011)! It was because of that experience that we joined UVC. We were looking forward to our first vacation using our membership and chose Secrets Aura. We did read some reviews prior to booking our Mar 2013 vacation but peoples opinions as normal were all over the place from hated it to loved it so we just stopped reading and decided we would go with an open mind.
Let me start by saying the resort is extremely understaffed but what staff they do have are wonderful and if they can clone them they will be well on their way to meeting or exceeding Secrets standards. I have since read many reviews about Aura and we experienced many of the same ups and downs with exception of getting chairs at the pool or beach. We are not ones to get up at 5:00 am and go save chairs so when we finally did get to the beach there was obviously no open chairs. Not once did we have to wait more than maybe 10 minutes before one of the staff would bring chairs right to us on the beach. The drink service at the beach and pool was routinely very slow but that is because it was usually one person waiting on both and let me tell you they didn't slow down and take a breath. I commend them for their hard work and great attitude. The food was ok but if you are a big eater make sure you order one of everything. The room service is wonderful and the menu has some meals that you don't find in the restaurants. The beach is clean and good snorkeling right near the pier. Some of the rooms still need to be updated but they are kept clean and the housekeeping staff does a great job. We are looking forward to making another visit to Secrets Aura to see the results of all of their hard work and commitment to making this a high class resort.

Room Tip: Suggest you do not get rooms near the Sky bar or the Windows restaurant lounge because it is very no...
1 Thank TravelBiz213
Dear TravelBiz213,

We are pleased to know that you had a great time at our property but on the other hand we are concerned that some of your expectations were not fulfilled. Feedback is very valuable to us since it gives us a chance and indication of where we still have areas for improvement; the entire satisfaction of our guests is really important to us as it will help us to improve so that we can achieve the "Secrets Brand Standard".

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Jenison, Michigan
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We just got back literally 3 hours ago. I started reading reviews of this place only after we had already booked in January, and I was getting pretty nervous about it after reading a lot of negative things. I worried for nothing. While not everything is 100%, nothing really ever is. We landed in the a.m., and got thru immigration and customs within 30-45 minutes. Once we got to the resort we checked in and were taken right to our rooms. No wait at all. Once there we checked out our rooms (jr. swim up's, pool view...rooms 4011, 4112, and 4115) then headed to lunch. No wait there either and were seated right way. In fact in all our meals we never once waited for a table. While we did have to wait in between courses, it wasn't a big deal (for us). We were in "vacation mode", so sitting there waiting and having good conversation was no big deal for us. The quickest we were finished was about an hour, and the longest (for dinner) was about 3 hours, and that was because our little group met some other people and we all went to dinner together one night so it took a little longer than usual. Again, no big deal because we were getting to know our new friends. The resort is beautiful. When we first got there the air conditioner wasn't working, so we called the front desk and someone came up and fixed it within 30 minutes. The only other issues were (and pretty minor to us) was that room service was a major hit or miss. My husband and I ordered room service one night (we had already eaten earlier in the night, but I wanted to see how it was) and the food came with 30 minutes, pretty warm, and had everything we ordered. Another night my brother and his partner ordered pizza, 4 glassed of wine and some sandwiches. They for it about an hour later, and everything was cold...and no wine. Instead they got 4 waters. Another morning another person in our party ordered breakfast, and it came in about 30 minutes and was hot. We tried one more time and ordered 2 steak dinners, 2 glasses of wine, and 2 diet cokes, and 2 pizzas. We got 2 steak dinners, 2 glasses of wine, no sodas, and no pizza. It really wasn't a big deal to us, but know others would take that as an issue. I just want to be honest in this review, so that's why I'm mentioning it. Also it says that the rooms mini-frigs are restocked everyday. Ours was restocked only twice in the week we were there. All you have to do is call room service, and they'll bring you what you need. The down side to that was we usually just wanted diet soda, and it came to us warm (with no ice included in case you wanted to drink it right away) so you had to wait for it to chill. If you find yourself out of soda and have to call for a couple of them, just ask for some ice in case it comes to you warm.

The food in the restaurants was great! Small portions, but since we knew that already from reviews, we ordered extra of whatever (appetizer, entrees, etc.). We never walked away from the table hungry. We usually had burgers pool side and those were fantastic! Thick and juicy! Fries were usually cold, but again for us it was no big deal. We were there to have fun and to enjoy the company of family and friends, and never stopped us from eating them anyway!

We were in the jr. swim up suites pool view (4011, 4112, 4115). As some have already mentioned, this is the "party" place of the resort. Our group ages were from 46-66 and we found this was the place we wanted to be. Loud music, lots of noise, but a lot of fun. We did try the beach and pools by the beach, but it was really quiet. We felt we had to talk quietly because when we talked in our normal voices people looked at us. I would say it was more of a laid back location. Not that our group was loud, rough and tumble, but we wanted to be where the fun was. The waiters we had were the best ever. We had both Luis and Emberto (sp?) and they hustled. Secrets Aura should be proud to have them on staff.

All in all the resort was fabulous. The few glitches are what you make of them. They didn't make our trip, nor did they break it. We rolled with the punches, and even joked about them. The staff was amazing. I forgot to mention probably the best thing. The 66 year old lady in our group has a bad leg, and walks with a cane. Walking around the resort would get to her leg, and she sometimes didn't want to venture out much because of that. My husband went to ask about getting a wheelchair for her to use during our stay. He was told they had none at the resort, but would look into it. Within an hour, someone came up with one that they got somewhere off the premises. The thing was beat to crap...but the point is, they accommodated her. They went out of their way to do this for her, and we really appreciated it. I would recommend though that they do keep one or 2 available on site for such situations.

We would definitely go back to Secrets Aura, and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Jr. Swim-ups pool views were a lot of fun. Not for those that want a quiet vacation. This area can g...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Debi D
Dear Debi D,

Your feedback is much appreciated and has been shared with all our staff, comments like yours help us to improve our customer service and stay focused on our main goal, which is 100% guest satisfaction.

We look forward to having the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience in the near future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Relaxing!! The best spot on the island. Been on the mexican caribbean for at 30 times and this was among the best three experiences we have had. Romantic, very laid back, cortusey and good vibes all over the place

A gem!!!

• Stayed March 2013
6 Thank thelastoneon
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear thelastoneon,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are happy to learn that you had an outstanding experience at the hotel. It was our pleasure to have been of service to you.

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had never been to any all-inclusive hotel/resort before our stay at Secrets, but here’s my review.

The food was good. Yes, portions are small, but we knew that prior to arriving, so we’d order something from every part of the menu and sometimes even two entrees.. Service was fine. We never had to wait overly long to be served or seated. Room service was perfect. The food would often arrive before they estimated it would. Yes, they’d sometimes forget certain special requests, but that didn’t bother me.

Drinks were fine. You have to request “top shelf” otherwise they serve you the cheaper option. I think they each bar is given a certain amount of “top shelf” alcohol each day. Sometimes at the end of the day, they’d run out of Bailey’s or other alcohol. You do not need to bring your own cups, as theirs are fine at 16(ish) ounces. They have straws. You could even request drinks via room service.

The beach is nice; decent snorkeling right at the pier. You don’t need water shoes unless you want to go into the water. The pools at Secrets are a few degrees too cool, in my opinion. It’d be nice if at least one of the pools was heated.

We had a solarium suite, number 1131. It was a nice room, even if it was a bit “run down.” It was great to have an ocean view and a private lap pool. This room was worth the relatively small extra amount we paid for it.

The organized entertainment was never really well attended, but we had enough to do without needing to rely on the pre organized activities. We enjoyed spending time at SkyBar, snorkeling, eating, walking around, the Hobie Cats, slides, etc. We were in bed by ten or eleven each night, which was fine by me. There were very few people out and about past nine each night.

The staff is great. I never saw any staff member not working. In other words, they have plenty of work to keep them busy.

Some people can find something wrong with anything. If you have realistic expectations and understand you are on vacation and in Mexico, you’ll have a fantastic time like we did!

5 Thank lori0914
Dear lori0914,

We would like to thank you for your kind review. Your generous words are greatly appreciated as we are certain your review will prove invaluable to other travelers.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services. We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you. We appreciate your feedback as it provides us with information that is helpful in identifying those areas of opportunity we maybe overlooking.