“Not horrible ... but a big disappointment.”

Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Not horrible ... but a big disappointment.”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

If this is your first time to an all-inclusive resort such as this, you’ll probably think it is awesome. If you’ve been to several in your lifetime, it’ll be a disappointment. We’ve not been to a Secrets resort, so can’t compare it to any of those.

My husband and I have been to over 35 all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico, 90% of them “couples/adults only”. All have pros and cons, whether it’s food, beach, rooms, customer service, etc. We have not yet found the “perfect” one, but a couple of them have come pretty close. We are in our 50’s and look for someplace quiet where we can just relax and enjoy the ocean, beach, and warm weather. We don’t care for a loud party atmosphere … been there, done that. We also enjoy a good meal.

We’d never been to Cozumel and wanted to try it. There were two “adult-only” resorts on the island, so options were limited. When we booked our trip last June, those resorts were the Sabor (based on reviews, we were not at all interested) and the Aura Wyndham Cozumel (before it became Secrets). The Aura was advertised as a boutique hotel with only 86 rooms. We read the reviews for Aura on Trip Advisor and found that the positives outweighed the negatives about 50 to 1, so we booked a ground floor ocean view room (a category available at that time) … we wanted to be able to walk out of our room onto the beach.

As time went by, we read more reviews and learned that the property had changed ownership, becoming a Secrets resort, and they were acquiring the former adults-only buildings from the Sabor property next door, thus doubling the number of people for the same property. They were undergoing a lot of construction/renovations, and the reviews had increasingly become more negative. My husband and I were debating whether we should keep our reservation or cancel and go elsewhere. Gradually, reviews started to become more positive, so we decided to keep an open mind and stick it out. We learned prior to arrival that the room category we booked was no longer available, and they had us in a 2nd floor ocean view room in the old Aura section … apparently the beachfront walkouts had been changed to “preferred club” rooms, and it cost extra to upgrade; none were available during our stay, however.

We were at Secrets for 10 days in February, and the following is our experience:

Arrival/Check-in: Our taxi arrived at the resort around noon. The entrance to the resort wasn’t anything grand or spectacular, but clean and well kept. There was no bellboy to assist with our luggage; we dragged our suitcases up the stairs ourselves to the reception area (that’s never happened to us before). No welcoming drinks or cool towels were offered (though, we noticed that a group arriving shortly after us was welcomed with a tray of drinks). The lobby was small, unimpressive, just a couple desks. The check-in experience was chaotic. Sandy, the woman assisting us, interrupted our conversation several times by taking or making phone calls … we didn’t feel like we were important; nearby staff were constantly shouting over each other. Sandy told us our room was being cleaned, gave us a beeper, and said we could go have lunch. She handed us a Sundial (daily activities sheet) and a resort map and sent us on our way.
We went to the Barefoot Grill for lunch. There were only 3 other couples in the place, but it took at least 20 minutes before a waiter came to take our order. We ordered the shrimp enchiladas (which were actually quesadillas) and a couple drinks. We waited and waited for our food. The hostess saw that we’d been there awhile and went back to the service window. Apparently, our order had been sitting there quite some time, unforgotten, and when she brought it to us, it was cold.

Room: Our room was finally ready. The bellboy brought our luggage and left. No showing us around the room, no telling us how the AC worked, etc. Apparently, we got an upgrade to a swim-up suite, ocean view, but I wouldn’t call it an upgrade. First of all, it was much smaller than the rooms we had seen on the web site, looking nothing like any of the pictures. It was right off the lobby and seemed to be cut in half diagonally; there was a kitchen area right next door that serviced the two restaurants on the beach. It was clean, but definitely not a renovated room. There were no drawers in which to put clothes, other than a small drawer in each of the bedside tables, and a long narrow drawer in a vanity-type table. There were two small cubby-holes in the closet, and a narrow closet with only six hangers. We asked for more hangers, twice, and never got them, so we ended up stacking our clothes on long tables along one wall. The bathroom was old and definitely not renovated. The vanity was only about 28” high. The lighting was dim. There were no drawers in the bathroom, as shown in pictures on the web site. A makeup mirror was mounted behind the door, but at a height for a 6-foot tall person to use … I’m 5’4”. There was no separate toilet area; it was squeezed between the vanity and shower. There was no tub, just a walk-in rain shower with no door or curtain, so when using the shower, water would get everywhere. We ended up having to use a beach towel to put on the bathroom and hall floors so that we wouldn’t slip and break our necks. We had no issues with hot water … there was plenty for my husband and I to use one right after the other. Several toiletries were provided and replenished as they were used. My husband noticed that there was no running water in the bathroom sink. He went out to the lobby and talked to someone about it. Immediately, a couple of maintenance men showed up, and they had the sink and pipes torn apart for several hours. They found sediment/rocks in the pipes, and that took quite awhile to clean out. The only lighting in the living area was a couple bedside lamps, again with very dim lights (glad I brought my Kindle clip-on light so that I could read in the evenings). There were a couple overhead lights, one in the entryway, and one in the corner by the patio door. There was a very low sectional in the room, not very comfortable or functional, with a coffee table in front of it. A flat-screen TV was mounted on the wall across from the bed. We couldn’t adjust the AC to the temperature we wanted, so it got very cold in the room. We turned it off at night and turned on the ceiling fan (we had to remove the light bulbs, as you couldn’t run the fan without the lights shining). It’s too bad the patio doors don’t have screens on them so that you could have the doors open at night and let in the cool air and listen to the ocean waves.

Also, our room location was very noisy. It was right off the lobby, so you could hear all the people talking, the phones ringing. Hallways were noisy, everything echoing, people talking and yelling right outside the door, carts going up and down the hall. There was a kitchen area right next door, and you could hear silverware and dishes clattering all night long, things banging and dropping, a blender or juicer going early mornings. One night, I was awakened around 2:00 a.m. to the sound of hammering and drilling … not sure where that was coming from. Earplugs work to an extent, but they don’t block out everything.

Patio: We had the swim-up suite at the very end of the lazy river, near the beach-side restaurants. There was a walkway off the patio that took you a few steps down to the pool, beach, and restaurant areas. A problem was that guests in the room next to us, or those using the lazy river, would exit the pool right onto our patio to get drinks at the nearby bar. Sometimes it felt like grand central station … very annoying. You couldn’t relax on your patio or be in the room without the curtains drawn, because people were passing back and forth onto your patio all the time … no privacy whatsoever. The Barefoot Grill/Oceana Restaurant were directly in front of us, and the service window and bar were right there, as well, so it got to be noisy in the evenings…you could even hear the conversations of dinner guests at the restaurant. The swim-up suites had a “bed” on the patio. There was also a small table and a couple small teak chairs, though not very comfortable if you wanted to sit out and read.

Beach/Ocean/Pools: The pools were cold. There were a few pool floats provided, but noticed that several were stashed on guest’s patios, making them unavailable for others to use. A lot of people had their own and left them behind for others to use when they went home, which was nice. The pools at the back of the property (junior suites) were busy and very noisy … more of a party atmosphere, so we avoided that area. The pool at the front of the property near the beach was quieter, though there were a couple days when we thought we were among a bunch of spring breakers. People were playing their own music very loudly, some had been drinking heavily and diving into the pool off the bridges, one girl whipping off her swimsuit top and doing belly flops into the pool. Since the beach is right near the pool, some guests were trying to find other spots farther down just to get away from all the noise.

My husband and I prefer relaxing on the beach rather than by the pool. The sand on the beach wasn’t powdery soft, but you could walk on it without beach shoes. We did need to wear water shoes going into the ocean, however … very gravelly and rocky from the coral. Workers were out every morning raking the beach, but a big turn-off for me was all the cigarette butts lying around. Some resorts ban smoking on the beach or the pool areas … I wish more were like that, as several guys were smoking cigars on their patios, around the pool, or on the beach. The smell nauseates me, and since everything is so close, it’s hard to get away from it.

There was a line of palm trees between the beach and pool area that provided shade during most of the day, but by late afternoon people were scrambling to find some shady areas. The beach loungers were some of the nicest we’ve ever had at a resort … adjustable teak chairs with thick pads. There were some beach beds, as well. During the first half of our stay, we found that, if you didn’t get a pool or beach chair by 7:00 a.m., you were out of luck. Some people were taking chairs from near the pool and carrying them down to the beach. I’m thinking it was because there were a couple very large groups staying there during that time. During our last few days, we pretty much had our pick of chairs. One of my pet peeves is that some people were claiming a beach bed and a chair, as well as a pool chair, then trade on and off during the day. Not cool, people! We also noticed that guests from the Sabor next door were coming onto the Secrets property and using the beach chairs (most likely traveling with people who were staying at Secrets).

Plenty of beach towels were provided. You would find them rolled up on the chairs in the morning, and you could help yourself to a fresh one throughout the day from a chest near the pool area. There was no “checking towels”, but we haven’t had to do that anywhere in about 15 years.

Housekeeping/Turn-down Service: You could request that your room be made up at a certain time every day. We requested ours be cleaned between 9:00 and 11:00, as we were always out of the room during that time. We usually like to go back up around 3:00 or so to relax, get cleaned up for dinner, etc. The first couple days, the room was cleaned by 10:00; after that, it got later and later. The last few days, when it hadn’t been made up by 2:00, by husband called to request it be done …they didn’t get to it until 3:30 or 4:00. Even so, they did a good job of cleaning the room. Someone came in during the day, as well, to replenish the items we used in the refrigerator. We don’t drink beer, so they just left more water and the sodas that we wanted.

In other resorts where we’ve stayed, turn-down service was done while we were at dinner. Here, they didn’t come to our room until around 10:00 (way too late!), so we ended up putting the “do not disturb” sign on our door. As a result, we didn’t get a Sundial activities sheet, though they could have slipped one under the door.

Grounds/Maintenance: The property isn’t all that big, taking only a few minutes to walk the beach from one end of the property to the other. Everything is close together, so it only takes a few minutes to walk from your room to the beach, pool, restaurants (unless you had one of the suites at the back of the property). There are pools and a swim-up bar back there … you just had to walk a little farther to the beach or the beachside restaurants. The beach is right in front of the main pool area. There are several little bridges/walkways over the main pool and lazy river. Two restaurants (Windows and Oceana/Barefoot Grill) are right next to each other along the beach. There’s a bar inside the Barefoot Grill, and another (Rendezvous) that is right off Windows restaurant. The Rendezvous had a foul odor every time we were there (smelled like boiled cabbage or cauliflower). The French restaurant (Bordeaux) is behind the Aura building and new shopping area that is under construction … it’s right next to the junior pool suites that used to be Sabor. The shopping area wasn’t finished. There’s a daily activities board back there, along with a coffee shop and wedding events office. They had just finished opening a gift store when we were there and were in the process of bring items into a jewelry store next door. It appeared that they were constructing a fountain/sculpture area in the middle of the shopping area.
Grounds were well maintained, for the most part … lots of shrubbery and flowers. I did notice a lot of soda cans and straws thrown into the shrubbery that weren’t cleaned out for several days, and all the cigarette butts on the beach were disgusting, even though someone was raking the beach every morning. There were iguanas/lizards roaming the property (one alongside my table during lunch), but we’ve seen those at several resorts. We noticed a foul sewer smell on and off during the day during a couple days, but it wasn’t a regular everyday thing. Someone tried to tell me it was seaweed … I know what seaweed smells like, and that wasn’t it.

They should provide extra bathrooms near the beach/pool areas. The bathrooms under the Windows restaurant were disgusting … lights burned out, doors wouldn’t close, toilet seats broken. Good thing our room was only a few steps away from the beach/pool area!

The entire time we were there, it was evident that they were continuing to improve the resort … making new signage for the grounds, moving furniture into rooms, finishing the shopping area, providing covered chests for the beach towels, etc.

Entertainment: Daily activities were shown on the activities board near the shopping area, as well as in the “Sundial” that guests received in their rooms daily. We never received one in our room, even though we brought it to the attention of the reception staff at least twice. Entertainment was limited, though I think they’re working on improving that, not that my husband and I cared all that much. We’re early risers and go to bed early. We’d just as soon read in the evenings or sit on the beach.

There were bands in the Sky Bar and instrumentalists playing in one of the restaurants during dinner. There was “movie on the beach” around 8:00 some nights. The problem with that was it was right next to the Windows restaurant. If you were watching the movie, you had all the background noise of the restaurant. If you were trying to have a relaxing dinner at the restaurant, you had all the noise from the movie. Nice concept, but they’re going to have to find a different place for it. There was beach volleyball. There was yoga (but kept changing the times, or cancelling at the last minute). You could also go next door to the Sabor for their entertainment. After our vacation ended, we learned that they started having dinners on the beach. The guest services directory indicated there was a weekly manager’s cocktail party for guests, but we never saw one or were invited to one.

Food/Drinks: We found the drinks to be very inconsistent. I had a banana daiquiri and it was really good; the next one I had tasted completely different, very sour, no banana taste. Same with margaritas … I think I had one decent one the entire 10 days. A couple waiters provided service to the pools/beach throughout the day, though they could have used a lot more waiters. Those guys were really hustling. Most days, we got completely bypassed because they seemed to focus on a couple large groups that were monopolizing their time … so we just went and got our own drinks ... not a big deal. We always take our own large, insulated mugs … they will fill them without any problem. If you want top shelf liquor, just ask … otherwise, you’ll get the cheap stuff.

There is a coffee shop, Coco’s, in the shopping area. They served pastries and doughnuts in the morning, and in the evening there were sandwiches, cakes, cheesecakes, brownies, etc. My husband usually went after dinner to get coffee. I’m not a coffee drinker, but the couple times I ordered some flavored drink off the menu board, I was told “not have” … that was annoying. The young man who worked in the evenings spoke little English … he just nodded and smiled, so it was difficult to communicate with him.

The house wine at dinner was really bad … I couldn’t drink it, but I refused to pay an additional $30-$50 for a bottle from their wine list just to have one glass.

Breakfast: the menu was the same for each restaurant … all ala carte, though at Windows, there was a small room off to the side where you could get fresh fruit (the pineapple was the sweetest and best I’ve ever had), yogurt, cereals, pastries (these were always dry), fresh squeezed juice, meats, smoked fish, and cheeses. The couple times we ordered off the menu, we never had a wait time of more than 10-15 minutes after placing our order; though, we always got there when they first opened at 7:00 am. Their omelets were not fluffy the way I like them … they were very thin, like crepes … but they were good, though they used canned mushrooms instead of fresh. Once, I ordered the American Breakfast, which the menu said comes with a fresh fruit plate and juice. When my eggs and sausages came, I asked about the fruit and juice … the waiter looked at me like I was crazy. I heard him arguing with someone in the back about whether my breakfast was supposed to come with those items … I told him “never mind, I’ll get it myself.” On our second to last day, the new International Market Café buffet opened next door at the Sabor, so we decided to try that for breakfast. It was basic, nothing extensive like at other resorts we’ve been to. The setup was weird, so there were a lot of “traffic jams”. At Secrets, I did miss the option of having a breakfast and lunch buffet … quick and easy, with more choices. Though, I don’t know where they would have put a buffet on this property.

Lunch: we usually ate at Barefoot Grill, very casual … this place was the busiest and sometimes very chaotic. Sometimes we got waited on right away, other times there was quite a wait. Once, our burgers and fries were cold when we got them, the next time they were piping hot. The grilled fish with rice and veggies was excellent, and we had that several times. One of the waiters at this restaurant … Margarito … was a gem! … our favorite staff person on the whole property. Windows restaurant was a little more formal. One day, we decided to just have guacamole and chips on the beach, as we weren’t all that hungry.

Room Service: We only used this twice. One evening, we didn’t feel like dressing for dinner, so we ordered a couple pizzas and salads. They told us 45 minutes, we got them in 40 … both were very good. Another time, we were hungry for ice cream late at night … it came in 5 minutes, but they forgot to put on the chocolate sauce that we asked for.

Dinner: We eat early, so there was never a wait for a table or to take our orders. I’m not sure what all the complaints are about regarding time and small portions. Maybe people aren’t used to eating ala carte, I don’t know. It’s not buffet or family style where you can pile your plate with food. It’s meant for you to order an item from each of the courses. My husband and I usually ordered an appetizer, soup and/or salad, entrée, and maybe dessert. Depending on the number of courses, it took anywhere from an hour to 1-1/2 hours to finish our meals. This has been the norm at any resort we’ve been to, even back in the states when eating at fine dining establishments. Only on one night was there a lull between courses; a couple times, they brought another course before we were even finished with the one we were eating, so we felt rushed.

There was one waiter at Oceana who was rude and abrupt. When I was giving him my drink order, he cut me off and turned to my husband for his order. Needless to say, my drink wasn’t what I wanted. He wasn’t any friendlier the second time we ate there, either. I never saw him smile at any of the guests.

If you are there for 10 days, you’ll find the menus to be somewhat limited. Some resorts rotate their menus. I don’t eat red meat, duck, veal … so I was limited to the fish and chicken. One night, I had the chicken special. The flavor was good, but the meat was tough and chewy. My husband had the seafood special and said it was the best meal he’d had the entire time we were there. You had to ask what the special was, or they wouldn’t remember to tell you.

At Bordeaux, the scallops gratin was excellent. I had a salmon in puff pastry entrée. Puff pastry should be golden brown … mine was charred, and the salmon very dry and inedible. The next time, I had the shrimp and fish casserole, and it was excellent. My husband ordered the duck; when he asked for it medium rare, the waiter looked confused. When he came back from the kitchen, he told my husband the duck was already cooked. When it was served to him, it was overcooked and dry … he couldn’t eat it, so I gave him half my entrée.

One evening, I had a pastry with spinach and cheese … excellent. The second time I ordered, it was topped with some kind of pizza sauce, which completely ruined it.

One thing I noticed at all the restaurants … no one ever came back to check on you to see if everything was okay, or if you needed anything, a drink refill, etc.

We never ate at any of the restaurants at the Sabor property, other than the breakfast buffet. After talking to others who had been over there, we weren’t the least bit interested.

Miscellaneous: After checking in, no one ever contacted us to see if everything was okay or if we needed anything.

When we booked the room, we had indicated we would be celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary. There was never any acknowledgement of that, even though we saw several rooms with anniversary banners on their doors as we walked around the property … disappointing.

We didn’t bring our laptop with us, so we used the “Business Center” computers to check e-mails, etc. This was a small room behind the reception area, no A/C, very hot and stuffy, with a couple computers for guests to use. After a few days, everything in that room was gone … we were told they were moving it to the shopping center area. The next day, we were told they were getting rid of it completely, so they no longer have a “Business Center” with computers for guests to use.

In Summary: It was obvious that this place is going through some growing pains. They are seriously understaffed and it’s hard to find good workers … they don’t have the unemployment problems that we have in the states. Every day, we could see improvements being made, but they still have a long way to go. Most of the staff worked hard to please their guests.
Would we go back? I know that if they continue to attract the spring-break type crowd that was there when we were, we definitely would not. We’ll keep up with the reviews and see what happens.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank beachy452
SeaczEconcierge, at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear beachy452,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent vacation with us. While we have experienced some growing pains due to our recent opening we regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations for service and quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our accommodations. We are always happy to hear from our guests, as comments such as yours help us determine whether or not we are on the right path.

We are always looking for ways to improve our resort to exceed the expectations of our clients. Due to the fact that are currently under a constant state of change at this point I will be sure to send your feedback to the General Manager and relevant Department Heads. We are always striving to ensure that we provide the highest standard of luxury and comfort, unfortunately this process is an on-going one. We encourage you to visit us again in the near future at Secrets Aura Cozumel and experience our new features and upgrades once our standardization project has been completed.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,374)
  • Hebrew first
Elkridge, Maryland
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were at this resort in Feb 2012... and LOVED it. This time (Jan 2013)..not so much. Check in was a disaster and they tried to put us in a room that was in desperate need of remodeling, despite my many communications with the resort prior. When we finally were assigned a new room, 2 days later... we walked in to a room occupied by guests. come on..... We literally spent a total of 6-8, maybe 9 hours total over our first s days of our vacation hours dealing with room assignments!!

We travel to the Caribbean and Mexico on average 4 times a year, AM Resorts..being our first choice of lodging in our travels. 6 weeks prior to this vacation, we'd been at their Wild Orchid Resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica...ahhhmazing! (our 3rd time there)

The food.... they are trying. They really need to develop some kind of system for reservations or something... their other resorts get this straight, they should too. If there is a 75 or 90 minute wait, let your guests know this! The food was not consistent, period!

The timeshare people.........ughh, no excuse for this. Hounding is putting it lightly and everyday at the Aura side pool, many conversations had and overheard about the "vacation club" sellers. It's too much and became annoying and frustrating after a few days. Even after we'd told them, we know you are here.... if we want to talk, we'll come ask for you. Most guests we spoke with that had listened to the presentation weren't in favor. We'd actually considered the club, since we travel so much to their resorts ..but from what we were hearing, it wasn't that great. Their sales people were...everywhere, in every restaurant and constantly walking. It's just a turn off to sit each morning and afternoon next to another presentation in all the restaurants.

We were there for 2 wknd football games, playoff time... If you publish that you will broadcast games and you are aware it's a priority for your guests...FOLLOW THROUGH ! Football, especially, during the playoffs...is a big deal to many travelers. We are Ravens Fans..enough said.
We arrived on a Sunday, 3 couples... service at the pool was wonderful sun- tuesday. Wednesday, we noticed "management" people present in the Aura side restaurants...and thats when we noticed a big change in service. Our normal server, was pulled from the pool and told to attend to the beach. Until the evening servers came for that restaurant about 3 or 4pm... no pool service! Lunch service suffered too.

The beach is beautiful ...but rocky to enter, water shoes highly recommended. Scuba divers are picked up right at the dock. Snorkeling is plentiful right off the dock but the ladder is steep to climb back up upon exiting the water...just take your time.

My general feeling is that this place is experiencing growing pains and a lack of good solid management, because of this...in many ways, our vacation suffered and put a damper on a few of those days.

I hope in time.... this will become the gem we once found. It will never again be that small, intimate ... couples resort where you feel you are in your own little piece of paradise...since Secrets is combining the neighboring resort to form one large one, including children in some parts. But for now..... I wish them luck with having their left hand find it's right hand...if you know what I mean. It has a ways to go..to become a "secrets" in our book!

Room Tip: DO NOT let them put you in a room on the far (reception) side unless it's been renovated. Be ed...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank atrin
Marco S, Director General at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for your recent review about your January stay at Secrets Aura Cozumel. While indeed we have gone through growing pains as you rightly pointed out, we are today completely funcional with all the entertainment in place and the rooms completely renovated. In the last two months our whole operation, also helped by the valuable guests´ feed back, drammatically improved and kindly ask you to give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us directly at your earliest convenience

Marco Soria
GM
Tecumseh, Ontario
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed at Secrets Aura Cozumel from Mar 2 to 9 with friends. Had a great week - the room and the view were beautiful, the food was awesome, top shelf liquor, (Chocolate martini's were very nice!). Staff tried very hard and were very pleasant but they are a bit short staffed - especially at the bar(s). We never waited more than 20 minutes for dinner and the food was nice. We have no complaints. The beds were so comfortable! The pool was beautiful, albiet a bit cold, and yes there can be a sewer smell here and there, but you are on an island not in a large city! The resort is quiet which is what we were looking for (except for some of the Sabor crowd what shuffled over and used the pool - Secrets has to do something about controlling that) - the snorkling out on the pier was awesome - we saw angel fish, rays, puffer fish, etc. - I'm sure once Secrets finishes all of the renovations it will be even nicer. We would definitely return.

4 Thank TravelMexico4
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear TravelMexico4,

Thank you for your kind and positive review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the facilities and services offered at Secrets Aura Cozumel. Your comments about our food, rooms, beds and cleanliness were duly noted and we expect our team will be motivated by your words.We are grateful for the opportunity to serve you and look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

eConcierge/ Social Media Coordinator
Big Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have been coming to this resort since 2007 and just got back from our 6th time. We have seen all the changes from Reef Club to Wyndham to Sabor and now to Secrets. We stayed on the Secrets Aura side and it was amazing! The food is wonderful (check out my picture of the lobster!) It was the best lobster my husband and I have ever had, we both ordered it twice during our stay.

The views are beautiful and the staff, simply amazing!! Jesus is my favorite bartender and all you have to do is meet Jordan from the entertainment staff and you will instantly love him! Manuel and Christian and Juan, all wonderful staff members as well!

We spent 11 days there and can't wait for next year to spend 11 more! The town, San Miguel, is completely safe, even at night. And the Dichbe'h tequila shop downtown and in the mall is the best tequila you will ever have, guaranteed!! They will give you free samples of all sorts of flavors. If you go, say hi to Alvaro and Susy, the owners are the sweetest people you will meet!

I just can't say enough of how highly I recommend this place. Of course you will have the negative nancy's out there that will have something to complain about but I am laid back and when I'm there, I'm on Island time and just like to lay around with a drink in my hand and socialize with all the wonderful people we meet while there.

The resort is smaller than a mega resort so you don't feel like it is very crowded. Check out my pictures, we were there during spring break and the resort was fully booked and it doesn't feel like it at all. Till next year Secrets Aura and all your wonderful staff!!

**Every single picture was taken at the resort and/or on their private beach.

Room Tip: The Jr swim up suites are located away from the beach but have either pool views or a pool room. Poo...
6 Thank mommyof3_75
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Mommyof3_75,

On behalf of Management at Secrets Aura Cozumel I want to thank you for your kind review. I bet you did not think any thing could top your past experiences with us! We are so happy to read that your sixth stay was even more incredible than your first and we are even more pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your room, food, our staff and enjoyable activities offered both on and off-property.We always strive to create memorable experiences the first time then exceed your expectations time and time again. I will be sure to let Jesus, Jordan and the other staff members know of your kind words.

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you again next year for another great stay!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

They should have CLOSED DOWN and then remodled before allowing guests to stay. We have been to several Secret Resorts and loved them. I suggested Secrets Aura to another couple that we vacation with (who are Sandal Resort people) and they agreed to try it with us....what a huge mistake!!!! We did not get the room we paid for (a pool top suite) but were told that we would like the room they changed it with better. The view was amazing...but no so of the room.We were there 7 days, two of which I consider travel days, and of the say five true days there we had a leak in our bathroom ceiling four of them. It would take hours to get someone there only to have thm leave without fixing anything. of the 5 days there, we had turn down service once. we had to ask that the room be cleaned 2 of the 5 days...just so we could clean up before dinner. The musty smell was overwelming when we first arrived but seamed to lessen as we stayed....maybe we just got used to it!
The beach was raked only once in 7 days so it was littered with trash, i.e. cigarette buts, beer cans , etc for most of the time.
ON A POSITIVE NOTE.... The food was very good on the property especially breakfast......dinner not so much, and the staff was wonderful!! Joseph the breakfast waiter,and Louis the bartender mad our trip much better. The staff even made the comment that changes should have been made to the property before allowing guests.
I will not try this resort again and I will be trying Sandals next year. This was our 5th time to Mexico and the very worst....will not be back for a very long time.

7 Thank Rende L
Dear Rende L,

I apologize on behalf of the Management at Secrets Aura Cozumel as we are most disappointed to hear that your recent stay with us fell below your expectations. We apologize for the inconveniences caused by our shortcomings with regards to maintenance and housekeeping. Please be assured that incidents such as these are not the norm and steps are being taken to ensure that this does not happen to future guests. Your concerns regarding the quality of the food at dinner has also been passed on to the Executive Chef for his attention.

I am extremely sorry that I did not get an opportunity to meet you in person. I do hope we are going to be able to restore your confidence in Secrets Resorts in the future so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

WI
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Wonderful room (ocean view) opened right on the beach. Very comfortable bed, patio and sitting room furniture. Great snorkeling right in front of the hotel. Bring beach shoes for coral. deposits. Wide variety of food.choices. The French Restaurant is a good pick for breakfast and dinner. The chocolate dessert.is not to be missed for chocolate lovers. If you are looking for a lively night life, this is probably not the spot. The resort had a few remodeling projects going on but they did not interfere with anything. Staff were very helpful. We were very pleased with the hotel. Pools were great but bring your own float as the supply is limited.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are perfect.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Prairie2
Dear Prairie2,

Thank you for your insightful review of Secrets Aura Cozumel. We're thrilled to read that you had such an amazing stay with us and that you enjoyed your Ocean View Suite. We love to exceed the expectations of our guests and ensure that they leave with memorable experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for an even better stay with us in beautiful Cozumel.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We really enjoy this resort it is clean neat and the staff at club preferred the best specially carlos the concierge at club preferred he make our vacations so special he took care of us and come every single day with a new detail he provided full information on everything and make our stay more pleasant.The food at Bordeux its exellent and need no reservation for any restaurant The Spa its small but complete with a great staff and besides if you get bored you can enjoy unscape as well

Room Tip: If you like to get the best stay at club preferred and look for carlos the concierge at club preferr...
1 Thank Travelion l
Dear Travelion,

On behalf of the staff at Secrets Aura Cozumel we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your wonderful vacation in Cozumel. We love to hear our guests boast about our luxurious preferred club accommodations, our staff and our delectable dining options that we offer. We found your review encouraging and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to your new "home away from home".

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cozumel
Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Cozumel Palace
#2 of 51 in Cozumel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,630 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Secrets Aura Cozumel? Share your experiences!