“A big thank you to all of the staff and management at Secrets Aura!”

Secrets Aura Cozumel
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at Secrets Aura Cozumel from Jan 25 to Feb 1, 2013 and had a great time.
Your vacation truly is what you make of it!
My husband and I shared our Anniversary trip with my parents this year and we all had an amazing experience at Secrets Aura.
When we booked the hotel was “Aura Grand”. I booked based on photos and TA reports as I do for every vacation. I was aware at the time that the hotel would indeed be going through a name change to Secrets on Dec 15, 2012 and followed the reviews obsessively. I expected that there would be some negative reviews but what I saw made me think that there are a lot of people that booked at the lower Aura Grand prices and expected that they would instantly be receiving the higher quality Secrets amenities and then tore the resort to shreds based on what they expected not based on fact. Any change is just that it’s a “change” which requires a process to get from where they are to where they expect to be. Growing pains are NORMAL.
There are also some things that the resort can’t be held responsible for such the obnoxiously loud people who choose to congregate at the hot tub, nor for the inconsiderate people who reserve chairs for themselves at both the pool and at the beach early in the morning by leaving towels and personal effects at both locations. Also of note: the resort supplies towels in the lobby. Just pick one up on the way to the beach or pool when you have finished with them remove them from the chaises and drop them off at one of the baskets provided . Do not leave them on the chairs so that others don’t have a chance to use them. After all this is an “Adults Only” resort you would assume adults would know better.
The only things we found lacking at the resort were that there were only a few chairs available around tables outside at the Sky Bar. The other is that there are only two public washroom locations and both are near the lobby making it difficult for someone with physical limitations to get to from the beach.
It was evident the management and the staff were working very hard to achieve the Secrets standards as quickly as possible. They were working diligently and making ground very fast. We found the service for the most part to be excellent in all of the restaurants on the Secrets side and the food was good. The people who found the service on the beach slow must need a waiter attached to their hip. Between Margarito and Angel flying around the beach taking orders, we never wanted for anything whether be food or drink at any time. Sandy at the front desk will do whatever she can to help make your vacation great. The bellmen always had smiles on their faces and were at the ready to call a cab or the golf cart drivers for a trip around the properties. The golf cart drivers are very personable, informative and great for a laugh while you take a trip over to the Sunscape Sabor side.
Our rooms were outstanding they were side by side and had large balconies with views of the pool and the beach. Thanks to Isabel and Antonio in reservations who worked hard to meet our needs when it came to our accommodations. Lupita, the sweetest maid, was quick, efficient and always smiling.
The staff does more than their part to make your stay enjoyable. If you choose to make this a negative experience it will be. While there we heard a couple of people complaining including two “gentlemen” tearing a strip off the GM in front of other staff members and some guests. The manager maintained his cool and listened to the whole tirade then apologised at the end. If you ask me the “gentlemen” showed very little regard for the resort, staff or anyone else in earshot and the GM came out the winner through patience and class. I have noted some other reviews that indicated that the managers were not present but I found them to be checking and monitoring constantly during our stay.
To sum it up: Although the resort was experiencing some minor difficulties when we were there we could see the changes taking place almost before our eyes. This place is on an upward swing and will be up to Secrets standards in no time. Have a little patience for the hardworking staff who are always smiling while trying to get used to new menu’s, training new staff and working with new management.
We have stayed on the main land a few times over the last few years and taken the ferry to Cozumel. We loved the island and decided to stay and enjoy the island charm. We arrived in paradise and soaked in every single moment of it. Thanks Secrets Aura!

Room Tip: We stayed in 1123 and 1124 and loved the rooms and the view from these Ocean View Junior Suites
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank AnniversaryTravels1

Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Secrets Aura Cozumel at the end of January and were a little worried based on the recent reviews. Here is our review of various parts of our vacation:

Check-in: We arrived around noon (3 hours earlier than the check-in time). Our room was not ready but we were told that they would put a rush on the room clean. We then went to one of the restaurants for lunch. They give you one of those devices that they give out at restaurants to let you know that your table is ready. It was lighting up within 10 minutes. Our bags were delivered to our room with no problems.

Room: We stayed in a pool-view junior suite. Our room was on the 3rd floor. The room was decent. I found the bed to be comfortable but my husband thought that it was little too firm. There was a Sony Bravia flatscreen in the room as well as a DVD player. We were able to hook up our iPad to it in the evenings to watch movies. The furnishings in the room are definitely outdated but it didn't bother us much. The bathroom was updated though. There was a large shower and double sinks. Our room was very quiet. The pool closes at 8PM I think so there is no pool noise at night. When our A/C wasn't running we could clearly hear our neighbors talking in the room next door, but we did not have loud neighbors so this wasn't a issue for us. It looked like about 1/2 of the balconies had hammocks. Ours did not, we didn't ask to have one put up though.

Wireless connection: They give you the username and password to access the wireless connection from your room. We tried several times the first day and could not ever get it to connect. After that we saw someone using an iPad in the lobby, so we tried ours in the lobby and were able to connect with no problem. After it connected that initial time in the lobby, we were able to use it in our room, too. There's also a business center if you need it. FYI, the Skype connection was awful, we had a lot more success using Facetime to talk to our daughter.

Beach: The beach was clean and I thought that the drink service on the beach was fine. I've seen some complaints about it being slow, but I didn't think it was that bad. All of the lounge chairs are claimed by 8:30 or 9AM. We were there during peak season though. Several people have commented about how great the snorkeling is off the beach. I don't know what they are talking about. There is some sealife...we saw a school of fish and I saw a small ray, but you will not see brightly colored tropical fish unless you are taken by boat out to the reefs in front of the resort. I don't think it would be safe to try to swim out there or take a kayak because there is A LOT of boat traffic in front of the resort.

Restaurants: We dined at each of the restaurants and found most places to be pretty good with no wait time to get a table. We ate pretty early though...6:30 or 7PM. The first night we ate Bordeaux. My husband had the chateaubriand and it was very tender and tasty. I had the other beef dish on the menu and half of the meat was very tough. That was really the only less than acceptable meal that I had on the trip...definitely not 5-star restaurant quality, but we were happy with it. At all of the restaurants the course sizes are small so I would recommend ordering appetizer, salad/soup, entree, dessert. Service time is not as fast as it is in the US but I didn't think that it unacceptable. We're pretty laid-back so it didn't bother us at all. We walked over to Sabor one day to try their buffet- do not make the walk, it is not worth it, so glad we didn't stay there. Sabor looks really run-down and the buffet at Golden Corral is about 10 times better than their buffet.

Activities: We didn't participate in any of the resort-sponsored activities, but we did take a snorkeling trip with Loes from Cozumel H2O...would highly recommend her, small group and knowledgeable guide.

Room Tip: We didn't stay in one, but the beach-view swim-up suites looked awesome! Had a bed on the patio...
10  Thank PinkCorgi
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We visited this resort from 1/27/13 to 2/3/13, booked through Apple Vacations, realizing it had just become a Secrets 12/15/12. We had a long wait to even check-in, the entire process was quite slow, we were not offered a welcome drink, during this time. At check-in the concierge encouraged us to go through their 90-minute presentation. We declined this offer. We had booked an oceanview suite & were assigned to 1030, on the 2nd floor, just off the lobby. The bellhop did not show us anything in the room, dropped our luggage, took his tip & left. It was not the room we had booked, we informed our Apple rep & the next evening changed rooms to 1025, above the lobby. Rooms 1030 & 1025 have not yet been renovated. Our new room 1025, had a bit of an oceanview. Loved the pool bed & table & chairs on the balcony. The mini-fridge had soft drinks, bottled water & beer. We were told NOT to drink the tap water in our room. Enjoyed the 24-hour room service numerous times. We ate at most of the restaurants on the Aura & Sabor side of this resort. Loved the shrimp burger from the Barefoot Grill. Appreciated the drinks at CoCo Cafe. The resort was full at the time of our stay & it was sometimes difficult to get a beach or pool chair. Although, the beach is beautiful, the water is not for swimming, but, great for snorkeling, boats came into our pier throughout the day for snorkeling tours. Also, we discovered for $80 a day, cruisers can spend their day on the island at this resort. I appreciated not having to make dinner reservations, we never had to wait to eat. We visited the (Italian) Portofino restaurant on the Sabor side twice, definitely our favorite. Instead of walking, we would have the bellhop take us in a golf cart. The maids did a great job. The evening turn down service allowed you to have clean towels, they gave you a card with the weather forecast & a sheet with resort info for the next day. We went to the spa & had massages, used the $20 coupons given to us at check-in to get a discount. Since we do not snorkel, we do not plan to return to this resort.

Room Tip: It appears the rooms around the oceanfront pool had the best view.
6  Thank BradnCheryl
Reviewed February 8, 2013

These people that are complaining need to stop thinking they are royality. I just came back on Wednesday and had a great time. Remember you are on vacation. All of the resturants are great. This place is very quite, a few people at the night club but I did not see or heard anyone doing anything not appropriate. People complained about the opposite it was too quite. Food was great, room service was just funny remember you are in Mexico the language barrier will always be there. When you go out order ever course - the food is so good - high end food and high end liquor. My only complaint, they only serve Solo draft at the bars, bring a small cooler for the beach cans in rooms. - Everyone was laughing at the people on this site complaining.

Go and have a great time - the Scuba is amazing - Alfranso is a great instructor, if you need to get certified (trust me I tried before and no luck this time he gave me the skills not to be scared).

Room Tip: Bring cup for your drinks (2 of them for some reason you lose them easy after a day of drinking..lol...
14  Thank Kim5995
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The basics: The new Secrets and its sister Sunscape are the old Sabor and Aura Cozumel. Unlike other Secrets, AmResort/Apple decided to buy the two and revamp the structure. The old Aura had 68 rooms but have taken the adults section of the old Sabor and added to their side. If you have been to other Secrets you may be disappointed. The grounds are wonderful and well maintained. The two resorts are touching each other and it a maze to find your way around. See more under restaurants. The rooms are OK but dated. Many people changed rooms while there because of not getting what they had booked and mechanical problems in their rooms.

The Rooms: mostly jr suites, suites and a couple of high end suites. Make sure that if you want ocean view you book it. There is a front part of Secrets right near the beach and another section (Old Sabor) behind the first. The walk-out to the river leads to a pool. There is not a swim-up bar at the pool near the beach and while there the one in the back was not open. Rooms clean, maid service great, mini bar refilled every day - had no problems. They do not have "Secrets Boxes" like the other secrets. Beer in room was Dos Equis and pop was the coke line.

Check-in and out: Went smooth but was stressed as we checked in with MANY others. Check-out was great. Again - no problems.

Bars: two in the front section but very limited seating - more of a grab-an-go. More bars on the Sunscape side to sit at but they do not have the "good stuff" like the bars at Secrets. Good drinks with plenty of booze. Beer on tap at Secrets is Dos Equis and at Sunscape Sol (very good!!!) The only real sit-down bar is on the top floor on the main building. Sky Bar has two luke warm (if not cold) "hot tubs" and a view that is not to be missed. A gathering place right before a beautiful sunset!!!!!!!!!!

Restaurants: First off let me say that the food was much better than other reviews had posted.
I was impressed and rate it at or above other Secrets we have stayed at. Limited choices and menu did not change. There is no buffet at the Secrets and the World Market at the Sunscape is under reconstruction. Yes, meals do take a while. We had great service getting drinks and taking our order but I think the kitchens are very small and not able to keep up with demand - thus the slow dinner. Average of 1 1/2 hours. Portions small but don't be afraid or shy about ordering two of something. One night went to eat at the Italian which is all the way across the complex on the Sunscape side and was told an hour. Grab a drink (drinks??) and sat and waited. After 50 minutes was told it would be 1 1/2 hours more. Back we went to the Secrets side and got right in. They will take you by golf cart to the other places - just ask. And yes, men are required to wear long pants to dinner but they don't seem to say anything about your partner wearing shorts - go figure!!!

Room Service: WONDERFUL!! They must have read past reviews. Better menu than other Secrets. ordered 6 times and not late once. Quality of food was OK but sometimes not as hot as we would like it. They will deliver pop and beer also.

Pool: Wonderful again and well maintained. A bit on the cool side and the beachfront pool is less used than the back one. Yes, save those pool chairs early if the resort is packed - but please don't be a chair hog like many we saw.

Beach: Nice beach but water access tough because of rocks. Pack those water shoes. They did bring drinks to the beach but it was busy (kept saying it was overbooked - HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN WITH ALL THOSE COMPUTERS!!!!) Remember my comments about chair hogs??
Same on the beach.

The Staff: Great people wanting to make you feel at home. Can't say enough about the wonderful staff. Sandy at the front desk was very helpful as was the staff at the Preferred Club.
Also a big thank-you to the front desk manager Mr. Cazarin (I hope that's right).

Nightlife - Nada or shall I say very little. What they had was not impressive and was often at the resort next door. Mexican Fiesta was not held becasue of the threat of rain.

Sports/Activities - Yes, there is beach volleyball, pool volleyball and many other to choose from if you have the desire. Many dive books pick up right from their pier at Secrets.

So to put it in a nutshell - If you have been to other Secrets you may be in for a letdown. BUT
after a while the place grows on you and it's nice and I believe that AmResort and Apple will do their best to make it a great place!!! They sure to have the right location!!!!!!! How bad can it be on the beach with a drink in your hands??????

Room Tip: Watch what rooms you book??? Ask for exact locations. Some ocean view rooms have the view blocked...
4  Thank DDGone
Reviewed February 6, 2013

First experience with a Secrets - Disappointed. I have stayed at other hotels in Mexico (Iberostar) which are far more luxurious than Aura. I was looking forward to the ultimate experience that Secrets has to offer and all of the hype associated with Secrets but found none. This hotel is a 3 star at best. Perhaps it will get better but it has a long way to go.
Rooms
• Room temperature was very inconsistent – it was either really cold or really stuffy
• The lighting was terrible – unless it was daylight and the curtains were completely drawn, it was very difficult to see
• No closet space or dresser drawers – there was a very small drawer in each of the night stands and another small drawer in one of the decorative tables. No actual dresser with drawers. The closet was extremely small with just a handful of hangers. There were a few very small shelves on the side of the closet but as I mentioned, the lighting was so poor you could hardly see what was in there. Lived out of suitcases because it was just easier.
• The room temperature, no matter what it was set to in the evening, around 4:am it became extremely warm and very stuffy.
• Also around 4 or 5am each morning there were noises you could hear. Never quite figured out what they were but it sounded like a very loud washing machine or dryer. Not to mention the rolling of food carts very early each morning.
• Ocean view should be called ocean glimpse because that is about all you can see between the palm trees.
• There was no consistency to the type of room. I paid the same price for our ocean view room as another couple traveling with us; ours was a lot smaller in all areas - sitting area, bathroom (ours was tiny theirs was very spacious), closet, etc. If I am paying the same amount, I expect the same type of room.
• Very slow. I know that Mexico is slower in general but there is a lot of improvement that needs to be made in order for this to be considered a high end hotel. Lobby area is very small and has a small desk for both check-in and check-out with usually just one person working it. That person also answers phones and takes care of people who had questions or additional requests.
• It was difficult to find good quality food. The Sabor actually had better restaurants than Aura. Thankfully we were able to use that facility or it really would have been bad. The portions are beyond small – a salad consisted of literally 2 pieces of lettuce, no dressing, very bland. I know you could order more than 1 entree but that becomes a pain and very confusing for the staff. After a while we figured out where the food was a little better and stuck to just those locations. The lunch grill on the beach was good but not available every day.
Pools
• Although the pools were nice, they were VERY cold. Never went in. The ocean water was warmer than the pools.

Overall I was disappointed and will not be returning to this location.

Room Tip: If you are assigned room 1120 - ask to be switched!
4  Thank RCT53
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Well to start I was was a little Aprehensive about staying here after all the bad reviews on Food Accomidations and the like, First was accomidations when I booked this resort in April 2012 we booked a two ebroom suite, Saw in several reviews that 2bedrooms were no longer available, Contacted resort and travel agent was assured we would have ocean view rooms and connecting upon arrival was shown asigned room on first floor of skybar building wet paint on door painting in hallway and view was of unlandscaped sand and infrustructre for property and is behind the small pool off the lobby, Told bellman these two rooms were unacceptable and was given choices of two other sets of rooms we took the second rooms shown on the second floor just above the 1st rooms we were taken to with the understanding we would be moved to an available oceanview room or a swimuproom the next morning. Which we were to a swimup room near the Cafe and shops, The property is very nice and I was not the onlyone not getting what was booked but I fond that if you are reasonable with your requests and willing to work with them they are accomidating and reasonable. Food can be slow but I dont know where all the unsmiling faces are of staff the other reviewer gave, The food is spoty ranges from fair to excellent and inconsistant we are on day 4 of 7 night stay and you may order the same thing on two different days and get two versions of the same dish, Service can be slow but we've quickly learned that going to dinner at 8:30-8:45 to be seeted cuts down on times between courses as staff wants to go home but quality still remains the same. We have eaten at windows Oceana and Bruedox and like all three. We have also used room service with good to excellent food and fast service but we are just accross from Kitchen I believe. All in all If they can be this good in six weeks with new food items and updating and fixing faciliy they will done fine, Grounds are well maintained and they are still upgrading and remodeling to bring to secret standards. I will be back, Well time to get back to vacation will rewritr review when we get back. But felt I needed to give different opinion of staff reviews and food. I am still glad we came and glad I didn't change resorts.

2  Thank Mike_Sapp