First experience with a Secrets - Disappointed. I have stayed at other hotels in Mexico (Iberostar) which are far more luxurious than Aura. I was looking forward to the ultimate experience that Secrets has to offer and all of the hype associated with Secrets but found none. This hotel is a 3 star at best. Perhaps it will get better but it has a long way to go.
• Room temperature was very inconsistent – it was either really cold or really stuffy
• The lighting was terrible – unless it was daylight and the curtains were completely drawn, it was very difficult to see
• No closet space or dresser drawers – there was a very small drawer in each of the night stands and another small drawer in one of the decorative tables. No actual dresser with drawers. The closet was extremely small with just a handful of hangers. There were a few very small shelves on the side of the closet but as I mentioned, the lighting was so poor you could hardly see what was in there. Lived out of suitcases because it was just easier.
• The room temperature, no matter what it was set to in the evening, around 4:am it became extremely warm and very stuffy.
• Also around 4 or 5am each morning there were noises you could hear. Never quite figured out what they were but it sounded like a very loud washing machine or dryer. Not to mention the rolling of food carts very early each morning.
• Ocean view should be called ocean glimpse because that is about all you can see between the palm trees.
• There was no consistency to the type of room. I paid the same price for our ocean view room as another couple traveling with us; ours was a lot smaller in all areas - sitting area, bathroom (ours was tiny theirs was very spacious), closet, etc. If I am paying the same amount, I expect the same type of room.
• Very slow. I know that Mexico is slower in general but there is a lot of improvement that needs to be made in order for this to be considered a high end hotel. Lobby area is very small and has a small desk for both check-in and check-out with usually just one person working it. That person also answers phones and takes care of people who had questions or additional requests.
• It was difficult to find good quality food. The Sabor actually had better restaurants than Aura. Thankfully we were able to use that facility or it really would have been bad. The portions are beyond small – a salad consisted of literally 2 pieces of lettuce, no dressing, very bland. I know you could order more than 1 entree but that becomes a pain and very confusing for the staff. After a while we figured out where the food was a little better and stuck to just those locations. The lunch grill on the beach was good but not available every day.
• Although the pools were nice, they were VERY cold. Never went in. The ocean water was warmer than the pools.
Overall I was disappointed and will not be returning to this location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In a perfect blend of luxury and excitement, Secrets Aura Cozumel is the ultimate adults-only, all-suite resort located on the island of Cozumel. Sitting just 12 miles off the coast of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula, Secrets Aura has it all. Bask in a world of Unlimited-Luxury® while staying in one of 266 contemporary, stylish non-smoking suites complete with private terraces or swim-up access, stunning views, 24-hour room service, daily refreshed minibar and more. For added luxury, guests can upgrade to the Preferred Club and enjoy additional amenities and inclusions. The experience continues with limitless gourmet dining at gourmet restaurants plus 24-hour dining options allow guests to devour late night bites at the Coco Cafe or stay in and order room service all without reservations and top-shelf spirits at three bars and lounges throughout the resort. Light up the night with live nightly entertainment and activities. Or enjoy land and water sports, three sparkling pools, live entertainment with pool and beach wait service throughout the day. Dive into the Caribbean at nearby world-renowned dive sites; explore the natural wonders of the second largest coral reef system in the world, the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System. Learn to dive deep with the help of the fullservice, on-site dive operator, Dive House. Indulge in specialty treatments at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia®, located right next door at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, the most complete spa on the island, or simply spend time with the ones you love. Secrets Aura Cozumel – Light. Luxury. Love. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your Secrets Aura Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aura Cozumel Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Wyndham Cozumel
- Cozumel Wyndham