“Aura has some work to do, but WILL be GREAT!”

Secrets Aura Cozumel
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
SE Michigan
“Aura has some work to do, but WILL be GREAT!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

For those who do not wish to read on... The current iteration of Secrets Aura has some work to do to reach the level of quality of a 5 star/6 Golden Apple resort. The good part? On site management is well aware of the shortcomings and is working diligently, daily, to resolve them, and provide the level of quality and service those who travel with Secrets/AMR expect and deserve.

For those that wish to read as I drone on... Enjoy!
I kept a blog on TA forums during our stay.Much of what your read here can be found there:
Pics can be found in my profile.

Our stay was January 13-20 2013
My wife and I booked Secrets Aura Cozumel, (SAC), through our local Apple Vacations Rep. We like to use Apple and mainly travel to Secrets, or AMR, (parent company), resorts. This was our 6th in the AMR brand, and 5th Secrets in the past three years. Needless to say, we have been quite pleased with Secrets and will continue to travel with them and Apple.

SAC is a new resort in the brand as of Dec 15th 2012. It, and it’s neighboring, sister resort, Sabor, were Windham properties. The official Sabor rebrand is expected later this year to the AMR, Sunscape. The former Aura used to be 90+ rooms with an ocean view. The Secrets rebrand, added the former Sabor Villas, “behind” these rooms. Thereby, doubling SAC capacity instantly. The doubled capacity for a resort designed around 90ish rooms is really the cause for most of the reviewed issues. SAC management is working to resolve this.

ARRIVAL:
We arrived around 2pm and were not greeted with the normal Secrets welcome of a cold towel, and drink of the day. We were told our room was not ready. In the two weeks previous to our arrival, I was emailing the “econcierge”, (Eleazar from Facebook), and on site concierge, (Miguel), to note our arrival time and hopes of a ready room or, at the very least, a “hospitality” room to freshen up and change after our journey. The front desk associate, when asked for the hospitality room, directed us to the use of one of the bathrooms near the lobby. Not the warm welcome we’ve come to expect. We were given a pager and sent to Windows for lunch, told the room would be ready in 30 minutes. An hour later, we returned to the front desk and were told the room still wasn’t ready. We walked the grounds for about a half hour, pager never going off, and returned to the front desk to find our room was ready. Upgrades were not offered or discussed, (found later the resort was at capacity).

We were celebrating my birthday and our wedding anniversary. We made sure to note the occasions to the front desk associate. We did not receive the complementary celebration offerings until we met with the GM later during our stay.

The Bellman grabbed our bags and threw them into a golf cart. We took a ride to our room in the former Sabor Villas, now SAC pool view Jr. Suites. We arrived at the 43 building and was informed by the bellman that he would take to two large suitcases and I should grab the other two. There is no elevator in the Jr. Suites and our room was on the third floor. Not a big deal, but, again, not the level of service we’ve come to know from Secrets. He showed us the room and hung around, I believe expecting a tip. There’s no way I’m tipping after carrying my own bags up three floors.

ROOM:
The Jr. Suites are newly refurbished and NOT shown on any of the SAC website photos. You can tell some of the furniture was new, (DEFINATELY NOT the mattress), and the room overall, was “refreshed”. Of all the furniture, there were only two drawers in the nightstands. No other drawers to place clothing, only shelves and the closet. There was an odor when we entered. Sort of musty? I attributed it to the new chair and decided it not to be an issue. Although when we returned home, I could still clearly smell the room on our unworn clothing. There was a fridge that was stocked daily with Coke products, water, and the only beer on the resort, Dos X.

We started to unpack, and I remembered a number of reviews stating there was no hot water. I tried and found absolutely no hot water. A call to the front desk had a maintenance man there quickly. I used my best efforts in “resort Spanish” to relay the issue. After a couple hours and two service men, we had “acceptable” warm-very warm water. During this “repair” we called down and requested a room change due to the water issue and odor. We were told they were at capacity and had no rooms to move us to. This was verified by the GM who we met with later in the week.

The mattress in the room was quite old, tattered, and in MUCH need of replacement. I took a pic and you will agree. The mattress was hard, not firm, supportive, or any other words used to describe mattresses. IT WAS HARD, much like a plank of wood. After a week on it, I had a very sore back. I’m certain it’s in management’s plans to replace these worn pieces, but, with most things on an island in Mexico, it takes time.

A few days into our trip and after a couple very windy days, a sewage smell was emanating from the two drains in the bathroom, (one in the shower and one next to the toilet). Other guests in these suites noted to same thing. I called for maintenance twice and was told twice there was no issue found. While my knowledge of Mexican building codes is far from vast, I think it had something to do with the wind and the vent pipe. We decided we’d have to live with it. It was an easy fix. We placed our wet towels over the drains when we left for the day or evening.

The shower spews water outside of the stall, onto the bathroom floor, everywhere. This was the case even after a new shower head was installed. Make sure to have extra towels to cover the floor during your showers.

Maid service was at about the same time everyday and they did a good job. We had several days where the pillowcases were much smaller than the pillows. It took us three days of complaining to the front desk to finally get turndown service. This service is complementary and common in the AMR brands. Another missing normality was delivery of the “Sundial” every evening. The Sundial is a newsletter that is/should be delivered daily to note which restaurants were open, weather, activities and their times, drink of the day, and entertainment planned for the next day. We complained that we were not receiving it daily. We FINALLY received it on our last night. Many other guests in the Jr. Suites did not receive it either. A few guests we spoke to in the Ocean Views were receiving it along with turndown service. While this is not a huge issue to guests, it should be a huge issue to the resort itself. Daily, we’d see the Entertainment staff by themselves, between 9-11am, because no one knew they had activities planned. Thereby wasting hours of their day because most of the guests had no idea what was planned. One improvement we noted to the GM was adding the available restaurants at Sabor, (Secrets guests can use all of the Sabor/Sunscape facilities. Sabor/Sunscape guests cannot use Secrets facilities).There were times we’d ask the front desk about the Sabor restaurants and most of the time, they didn’t know what was available that night.

The balcony view was that of the pools with the slides and pool bar. The hammock in some of the pictures was not installed when we first arrived. However, they had it up within a day and my wife was VERY, VERY happy. We’d spend nights on the balcony reading, talking, or having a few drinks before bed.
We were usually out of the room by 9ish and back around 5-6ish. We never had an issue with noise being by the busy pool.

WiFi was available in the rooms and most other areas around the resort. Including the beach. There was no fee and I don’t know if they plan to charge in the future. AMR has charged for wifi at other resorts we’ve visited. It was usually good signal strength with a top speed of 2 meg down and 2 meg up. The only time we were unable to connect was during a rainstorm. I assumed most guest were hold up in their rooms surfing the net, playing hell with the resort’s router.

We spoke to several guests in the Ocean View Suites that stated the beds were amazing but some of the furniture was dated and in need of repair/replacement.

If you of means, by all means opt for the Ocean View Swimout in a warm season.

LAYOUT:
The resort as stated previously, used to be two. The Jr. Suites are connected to the main areas, (lobby/beach/restaurants), by the main road you enter on, and a path that opens to a new courtyard that contains Coco Cafe, a small shop, and the wedding office. This was being constructed during our stay. The Cafe and store opened the last day of our trip.
*Previous to our arrival, both concierges noted construction was finished, and all bars/restaurants were open. Not true*
From the courtyard, you walk by the Preferred Desk and Lounge, and Bordeaux.

The walk from the Jr.Suites to the lobby is about 3-5 minutes depending on your wife’s footwear ;). The walk from the Jr. Suites to the Sabor/Sunscape lobby is 7-10 minutes. You can call for the golf cart to take you if it is available. We used it once to get to Portofino, which is on the far side of Sabor. It’s not a troublesome walk either way.

The beach extends the length of both resorts, with the dock on the Secrets side.

The lobby area houses Windows and Rendezvous Bar. A short step further to the beach has Oceana, and 3 flights of stairs or a small elevator ride takes you to the Sky Bar.

All paths/walkways/roads were in very good to excellent condition. The landscaping was tended to daily and is beautifully lush. Never obstructive or intrusive. Just right.

BEACH:
The sand is a “crushed coral”, aragonite type that is not soft, but not at all harsh to walk on. It was never too hot to walk on and the sand easily washed or brushed off. I found the beaches at Silversands and Huatulco to be much less forgiving.

The entry to the water is rocky in most areas and rocky throughout. We brought water shoes but I only used them once. The roped off swim area has an amazing amount of fish, large and small, and some small reef areas. You can easily grab a mask and snorkel, (free), from the dive shop on the Sabor side and spend hours floating around. We found the most interesting and clear areas toward the rope and around the dock. Make note that the fish around the dock are used to humans, and humans feeding them. There are several larger species that linger and nip a little too close for some. Me!

During our 7 day stay, we always found a couple of lounge chairs or beds, anytime, at the beach. The resort was at capacity, but, there are a lot of guests going diving/snorkeling, or going into town. We never had an issue finding a spot. The lounges and beds themselves were in good condition. A few missing wheels and one I found that was about to break if a larger guest used it.

Finding shade, if needed, was not an issue either. The sun rises from the back of the resort and there is a mature line of palms where the beach meets the pool area. There was a good amount of clouds this time of year as well. They provided short breaks for those out in the sun. My shoulders and nose got a little too much sun the first day, and I didn’t have any other burns there after.

Drink service was hit or miss. SAC has one waiter for the entire beach and beachfront pool. It took 20-60 minutes for a drink. The waiter was hustling all day! Guests would be better served with an additional waiter. Wasn’t a big deal for us. I brought a “Bubba”mug just in case and had the Oceana Bar fill it with whatever I was drinking that day.

POOLS:
The Beachfront, Ocean View pool was very clean and well kept. However, IT WAS COLD!!!!!!!!!!! The pools are not heated and most of this pool is in the shade during the day. We rarely saw anyone in this pool for an extended period of time. Maybe it warms up later in the they year? SAC management would be doing future guests a GREAT service to invest in heating these pools. We were always able to find two lounge chairs and at least one float.

The Slide Pool with the pool bar is in “back” with the Jr.Suites. This is where most guests were found if not on the beach. The Entertainment staff also hold most of their activities in or near this pool. It too, is not heated, and, yes again, SAC could be doing future guests a great service by heating this pool. On the warmer, sunny days, you could find a lot of guests in the pool for an extended period of time. Most often they entered via one of the slides and exited because of the temperature.

Even at it’s most busy, we were able to find a couple of chairs and a float or two to use on the slides. The chairs and floats are in good to excellent condition. One day they were out of towels, but, a word to the bartender, had towels within 15 minutes.

The slides are quite fun and we devised a few games and ratings. They are best used with a float, however, there are two slides that, if used with a float, will result in you flying off and into, if you're lucky, vegetation. If unlucky, there is a concrete box housing something right in your exit path. It is the slide where two come into one. The other slides are more tame and two or even four up float rides are possible.

Drink service was not bad either. They had one waiter and one bartender and it took him 15-30 minutes to return with drinks. The waiter was also shared with the Preferred Lounge. If there were guests in there, he stayed to serve them. Again, another staff member would better serve the guests. The drinks are served from the “land” side of the bar and nothing from the pool side. Many guests found this strange. If SAC heats this pool and more guests find themselves in the water, longer, they will have to move things around.

The first couple days we noted a strong, sewage smell emanating from the pool side of the bar. Everyone noticed it, but, no one spoke up to get it resolved. I found a “white shirt”, (management), and noted the issue. He came back, took a whiff, made a horrid face, and got on the radio in a heightened tone requesting the area be serviced. He then spoke to the bartender, noting his displeasure for not reporting the issue. The next day, the area was rigorously scrubbed, and I did not smell anything bad for the rest of our stay. The “white shirt” turned out to be the General Manager. He found me the next day to apologize, noting his embarrassment, and assured us the issue would not return.

RESTAURANTS:
Food is always subjective. I can say that all our meals were good and some great. None were bad.

There have been many reviews, noting a long wait for food, especially at Windows for breakfast. This is true. Most Secrets have a Buffet open for breakfast and lunch. Given this resort’s small size and available floor plan, it seems that was not an option. Once seated we regularly waited 15-20 minutes for water and our order to be taken. We regularly experienced one hour plus wait times for our food. Some days were better, and the capacity of the restaurant was never full. The GM is well aware of this and has already taken measures, (after our stay), to help combat the wait. One is opening Bordeaux for breakfast. This should help out. He is desperately searching for staff. Given, this is an island, full of resorts, staff is hard to come by. When we spoke, he noted, SAC had people standing at the ferry docks with signs noting available employment.

The experience at Windows carries through to the rest of the SAC restaurants for the most part. We never experienced worse service, but, for the most part, is was far from on par with the other Secrets we’ve visited.

When we did receive food at Windows it was good. We ate there for lunch a couple times and once for dinner. Each time the food was very good, and the service got better each time. The dinner service and meal was fantastic!

We did have an issue, as some other guests did, with Windows one night. I checked the website for the dress code and it said casual. Just to be safe, I called the front desk and they said casual as well. So, shorts and a nice shirt it was! Arrived at Windows and the hostess refused to seat us as I had shorts on. I noted the website and front desk said casual, but, she held firm ground. Disappointed, I walked all the way back to the room to change and left it at that. The group of guests after did not. They caused a bit of a scene. I would say rightfully so, but, SAC MUST get their staff on the same page!

We had lunch a few times at Oceana and dinner once. Lunch was good with service being better than that of Windows. Oceana at other Secrets was a little more... refined. Here it serves as more of a beach grill. Dinner was okay, not bad, but not good either. Service was good.

We ate at Bordeaux twice. Food was better the first time and service was better the second. We ordered just about the same menu items each time.

Consistency played issue at all times during our stay.

We ate at El Patio twice on the Sabor side. It was our favorite meal of the trip, and the service... The service is what we’ve come to expect from Secrets. We were seated, given menus, water, and had drink orders taken. The “head” server would come by and introduce himself, then our server came by with the drinks and took our food order. Courses were timed perfectly and our server was ever vigilant with more drinks or whatever accoutrement. This level of service was consistent at the Sabor restaurants we visited.

Tried Portofino one night and while this is our second favorite at the other Secrets sites, the one at Sabor seemed lacking. Service was great and as listed above but the food... The food, while not bad, wasn’t great either. My wife really missed the Risotto, usually on the Portofino menus.

Because it was there, and, why not, we tried the “Pizza” place at Sabor one evening. I am a bit of a pizza snob, but, this place... This place right here... Has some explaining to do! I ordered what most Americans consider a Supreme, (pepperoni/onion/green pepper/mushroom/sausage), and what they delivered... Well, there is a pic. The dough is a thin crust, and wasn’t bad. The sauce, while not great, was not bad either. The cheese always tastes different in Mexico. Not bad, just different. Most of you will say, “HEY, this is Mexico, WHY are you ordering pizza?” And, rightfully so, but, to serve a pizza with hot dog slices instead of pepperoni and sausage, is... Well, it’s Sacrilege! And, being a Christian culture, they should know what that is. ;)

We ordered room service a few times. A couple in lieu of waiting at Windows and once VERY early as we left the resort at 5:30AM. Once because we had TOO much fun at Sky Bar and needed a late night snack. Each time it arrived within 30-40 minutes and was good. Not as good as sit down breakfast or lunch, but good. Because this was not a new Secrets build, one thing we missed was the “Secrets” door for room service.

BARS:
One issue to note: Before we arrived, during my emails back and forth with the concierges, I made sure to ask for Jack Daniels and Grey Goose. These have always been available at other Secrets. I was told they were, and when we arrived, they had Jack, but no Goose. My wife was not pleased, but they did have Stoli.

As noted before, Coco Cafe was supposed to be open for our stay. It opened the very last day. While this was not the end all be all... I like to have a couple Espressos in the morning on vacation to get me going. I work a different shift than most and anything before 10am is usually a no go. I try to get up before 9 to enjoy the day on vacation. It was said via the Facebook page that Coco Cafe was closed for a few days due to lack of supplies. That was purely false. The week we were there, they were finishing the actual building and installing the cooler, machines, and tables/chairs.

Rendezvous is next to Windows and was always staffed, with the ability to walk right up and order.

The Oceana bar had little to no wait at any time of day.

The pool bar, considering it’s size, amount of guests, and one bartender had little wait. An issue here as well. I saw the bartender pouring Don Julio and Goose a few times. When I asked for it, he told me they didn’t have it. I argued, noting exactly where it was hidden behind the bar. He was held firm with that. Don’t know why this was, never saw large tips, but may be something to ask the GM next time we correspond.

The Sky Bar was always well serviced. We had a great couple nights up there and it was the spot to watch the sunset. It seemed a little out of hand one night while, my wife and a few other female patrons, were “guest” bartenders. I say “seemed” because the bartender always had the situation under control.
I think everyone had a great time that night. People found us the next two days to ask when she was tending bar again.

They had a pretty well known band from Mexico there one afternoon. I coined their sound, Mexico’s Coldplay.

The Sky Bar has a couple of hot tubs. They are in need of repair or replacement. One hardly has any water coming out of the jets and the other most of the jets missing or broken. You were also covered in a film when you exited. They were used quite heavily, especially during the sunsets.
There was also an enclosed space that didn’t get much use. It had a few little TVs, couches, and tables.

ENTERTAINMENT:
The Entertainment staff does a pretty good job of keeping things going through the day. We had a couple good volleyball games, and there is room for improvement with other games. They were good at leaving you alone if you chose to. We’ve experienced more interaction and better gameplay at other Secrets, but, still not bad. One item they could improve on is making sure the guests were aware of the nightly entertainment, whether SAC or the Sabor side. This was a constant at other Secrets we’ve visited.

We rarely knew what was going on at night. Since we didn’t receive the Sundial, we would have to pick one up from the front desk later in the day. Most of the larger events take place on the Sabor side. There were times the front desk told us incorrect info about the night’s events. My wife was displeased we missed “The Fiesta” due to incorrect info from the front desk and Sundial.

We attended the “Fire Show” one night and it was entertaining. I related it to 3 people dressed up like characters from Mortal Kombat throwing fire sticks around to the Mexican version of KMFDM, (electronic music).

MISC:
Secrets does not have wristbands or towel cards. This is one of the reasons we like the brand. However, on a site with two separate resorts, they may want to look into something. Sabor guests cannot use the Secrets facilities, but, with no true way to designate, many spillover. All you need at the bars or restaurants is a room number. Something you can easily grab in passing. We ran into a few couples on the Sabor side that we saw or talked to on the Secrets side earlier. They knew they weren’t supposed to cross over, but readily admitted the liquor was better, there were no kids, and the pools were less crowded. We had a large, young, group take up territory next to us on the Secrets beach and gave the server a hard time because he questioned their rooms. One messed up and gave a Sabor number, and he asked them to leave, they refused and made a bit of a commotion. They eventually retreated back to Sabor to be served. What’s the solution? Not quite sure. Maybe bands for Sabor/Sunscape?

The Facebook page and Eleazar: Eleazar is not on site. I later found out he is a student in Mexico City that works for Secrets to drive up their Facebook presence and hype the resort. While in speaking with him, he seems to be a good hearted man with the best intentions, his information is sometimes not accurate. This is a miscommunication with him and the resort. One that can be resolved! One that will make for great asset to the resort. Of course, once only factual information is given. He is prompt with answers, and replies. The pictures posted are professional shots taken maybe months, if not years previously and do not reflect the daily look and operation of the resort.

Tipping: Tipping is as the website says, “gratuity included”. However, a couple bucks for good service is always appreciated. This resort, more than other Secrets we’ve visited, seemed tipping was expected. From the bellman to servers, it seemed a little extra was expected from us whether they provided a little extra or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The General Manager, Marco, and I sat down to go over some issues we experienced toward the end of our trip. I can’t urge future guests strongly enough... If you have an issue and are not getting anywhere with the staff, please ask to speak with him. Don’t just “live with it”, only to slam them in a review or to your friends. If they don’t know it’s broken, they can’t fix it. Marco and his staff want to fix it! He is truly open and welcoming to issues, opinions, and suggestions. He was already aware of most of the issues I discussed and took note of those he didn’t. He spoke about consistency, the lack thereof, and moving forward to achieve it. He apologized for some staff members that did not live up to the Secrets brand experience. We’ve been corresponding since our meet.
I firmly believe with a little more time, and a little more manpower, he, and his staff will have this resort running at or above their 5 star/6 Golden Apple rating.

Did the issues we experienced ruin our trip?
No. We had a great time! The resort and Cozumel are beautiful. We were displeased many times, but, still enjoyed our stay.

Am I too critical?
I don’t think so. I tried to give an accurate and descriptive review of our time at SAC. Balanced.
My wife and I love the Secrets Resorts. If anything, our time with them has “trained” us to expect more than we received this time around.

Should their rating be downgraded?
I received a couple IM’s from my thread, and our travel agent asked if she should get me in touch with Apple as to SAC current rating. I’m not going to swing that ax, but, our stay did not live up to 5star/6 Golden Apple ratings.

If I were running the resort, what would I do to resolve some of the issues?
Staff! We had nothing but outstanding service at Sabor. I know you don’t want to “steal” talent from one that’s working correctly, but, this seems to be the quickest, most logical way to shore up SAC’s number one issue.

Would we return?
Absolutely! Given some time for SAC to regroup and make this another gem in the Secrets brand.

Should you go?
Absolutely! Cozumel is beautiful and filled with friendly people. It is the worlds 2nd largest reef and the experience right off the beach and dock at the SAC rivals some excursions we’ve taken at other resorts.

Room Tip: If you are of means, by all means, opt for the Ocean View Swimout.
3 Thank KennyWiz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,374)
  • Hebrew first
Milwaukee
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Have been to other secrets before, and Aura does not meet those standards. I believe they are under staffed in the restaurants. Service is slow at times. Food quality not up to any AM resorts that we have stayed at before. The resort is nice, the beach is great, snorkeling amazing. Just returned yesterday and they were over 100 percent capacity. They were sending people to Capri. knowing what I know now, I would have jumped at that. Talked to many managers, and they agree, not ready to open as Secrets. Talked to a gentleman who had gone to the timeshare, and they even said, this is not what AM resorts is like. They have hopes in a year, it could be a great resort, just not yet...sorry.

3 Thank swestley
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We just returned from a trip to Secrets Aura Cozumel. We spent four nights here. We stayed on the Secrets side and did not go to Sabor although we could have.
The snorkeling was good. You can snorkel off the beach or pier, which is very convenient. The water is beautiful. The sand is okay, but there are rocks leading into the water, so bring water shoes. Pools were clean, but we didn't use them much.
It took a while to be served for food and drink, and they seemed understaffed. The website says that they offer beachside drink service, but they didn't come around very often. The French restaurant (Bordeoux) was well staffed with polite service and great food. They were open for dinner only. Oceana and Windows (breakfast, lunch and dinner) seemed understaffed with mediocre food. The service was very slow and the servers seemed stressed. Room service was fine, took some time to get your order.
Beach chairs go quickly in the morning, so you have to reserve your spot right away. Most chairs were taken by 8:30 am. Beach towels were amazing, didn't need to bring our own.
The rooms were very modest. White walls with little decor. Housekeeping did an okay job of cleaning. Our room, and another couple that we were with had all of two minutes of hot water in the shower which was fustrating. The other couple that we were with were in another building and had no issues with warm water. We didn't have a bath in our room- only a shower. The mini bar in the room included six sodas, two beers, and some water in a mini fridge which was dissapointing. Rooms would be disappointing if you have stayed at other all inclusives.
Overall, the experience was okay. We would try a different resort if going back to Cozumel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DMKS2008
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My fiance and I just got back from 6 days at Secrets Aura Cozumel and had a wonderful time. We did not go to Secrets for an action packed adventure. We just wanted to lay on the beach and relax, which we did & loved every minute of it.

*Random Tips:
Bring an insulated mug! They will fill it for you, regardless of size. I wish we would have known!
The menus are designed for you to order 4-5 courses, you're not going to fill up on an appetizer and an entree here. So induldge and try a little bit of everything!
They only had one guy working all the drink orders on the beach, it's much faster to walk the 30 feet up to the Oceana bar and order one yourself.
Bring water shoes- the beaches are a bit rocky

PROS:
Good food
Nice Beaches
Free snorkel/kayak rentals
Friendly/accomodating staff
Wifi reaches the beach so you can take a picture on your phone and instantly upload it to the internet, making all your friends back home in the winter weather instantly jealous (haha)
Rooms are spacious and clean
Comfortable beds
Beautiful sunset views

CONS:
Restaurant service- it's not that it was bad or that they would get the orders wrong, but it was just disorganized.
Beach chairs- if you don't have your towel on a chair by 8:30am you are SOL. The resort could benefit from having more chairs on the beach.
Slow beachside service for drinks
Shower water pressure- I'm more OCD about this than most, but when I've been in the ocean, sand, and covered in sunscreen I wanted to be blasted with water pressure at the end of the day. The water pressure in our room just left something to be desired and it took me forever to get the shampoo/conditioner out of my hair.

Overall we had a wonderful time here and I would recommend this place to friends looking for a nice get away.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Molly B
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Aura was a beautiful resort. The food was great and so were the drinks. Beautiful view from the rooftop jaquzzis. Everyone was always friendly and helpful. Will always recommed to my friends and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KLP269
Deerfield, Illinois
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We have been going to the Aura, Cozumel every year for the past 4 years for a family vacation with our adult children. There are many reasons we have come back year after year, the main one being the beautiful location and access to the beach. The clean, white sand and turquoise water with an attractive pier jutting out into the ocean is what the word "vacation" defines. The staff has been overall friendly and helpful (there have been exceptions, but not many) and the all-inclusive food is better than your average resort.

This year was different, though. The resort has changed hands 3 times in the past four years, and becoming a Secrets property has not been a positive change yet.

When we checked in, we learned that one of our party (who had arrived an hour ahead of us) had been given a room in the newly annexed area behind the main resort. Not only was the room small with no view, it smelled as though it had not been aired out since they put the furniture in. The manager had told them that there was nothing he could do to remedy the situation because they were booked solid, but he would work on it. In the meantime, we had to wait an hour to be shown our room because they were “working on it." We assumed that they were adding a fruit platter or something because we were such good repeat customers. However, when we were shown our room, there was water leaking from one of the rooftop pools into the room. After several hours of delay, they opened up a couple of rooms (that used to be a 2-bedroom suite, now separated into two one-bedroom rooms) and put us in there. The view was quite nice. We were warned ahead of time that the water in the shower would not stay warm for more than 5 minutes at a time. The showerhead leaked all over and the bathroom floor was constantly wet because of this. Because they had just “opened” the rooms up, there was no furniture to put clothes in or on the balcony to sit on. There was a phone charger in the room, but no phone, so we had no way to communicate with the rest of our parties other than knocking on their doors for the entire stay. The mini-fridge worked and was periodically re-stocked with beverages.

The restaurants were somewhat trying. The food was overall pretty good for an all-inclusive but the wait was long. There was never a meal that took less than 2 hours if you ordered off of the menu. For breakfast you could choose from assorted fruits, cereals and yogurts on a buffet table so a lot of times that’s what we did. Sometimes you would have to ask for a beverage 3 times before you would get it. I attribute that to undertraining, understaffing and adding too many rooms while at the same time cutting back on staff. The biggest problem we had with the dining situation was the fact that half of us (three out of six) got food poisoning from one of the restaurants. In talking to other guests I found at least three who had suffered the same thing. After a couple of days we did see and manager and told him about the food poisoning, which he thanked us for telling him.

The staff is overall friendly and works very hard. But they are overworked, undertrained and understaffed. By reading some of the previous reviews, I understand that other people have had very positive experiences. But this was our fourth time back so we have seen the changes over the years. Hopefully, given the fact that Secrets has doubled the size of the resort, they will add in time the necessary infrastructure and staff to be able to better handle the increased number of guests staying at the resort.

Room Tip: Request ocean front rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank pamzu
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I just returned from another trip to my favorite place in Cozumel. Definetly a few changes but still wonderful. What used to be the Sabor Exclusive area, which I prefer to stay in was accuired by Aura recently when Secrets came in. Gotta admit I was a little uncertain. No need to worry. The service starts the minute you arrive. From the greeting you'll receive upon check-in to the cab door closing on your departure the care and service provided are outstanding.

Having been a guest in the past I found myself doing some comparing. The benefits to this change were the additional restaurants available, also the Sky Bar and Mario your incredible and adorable bartender. I very much enjoyed every meal and or snack I had anywhere. The sunsets from the Sky Bar are fabulous and the hot tubs proved not only quite relaxing but also very entertaining on occasion. I had the chance to enjoy two excellent bands while enjoying beautiful sunsets, hard to beat. Having enjoyed it in the past I will admit I did miss having the restaurant in the old Sabor Exclusive area only open for dinner instead of being available breakfast, lunch and dinner. As a solo traveler I enjoyed the proximity of this as well as the fact that it was usually a little quiter. Also different this visit was the change with regard to the Lounge that used to be available in this area, it is now for Preferred Members only. I had spent many evening enjoying this area in the past with fellow travelers. Don't misunderstand however, I still spent many enjoyable evenings with fellow travelers I just had to walk a little further. I will admit with these two changes I saw far more of the property this year then I ever have in the past, so not all bad. Another change that I did find positive was the lunch service at the pool, nice. Can't forget to mention room service, good choice and quality as well as being very timely. Kudos to all. Special thanks to Bordeaux for all the delicious dinners and extraordinary hospitality.

The rooms as usual I found to be very comforable, loved my hammock. They have replaced alot of the furnishing in the rooms and pool loungers etc... again nice. I also liked the glass patio enclosure instead of the old split railings, adds to the view. House keeping does a great job always and the turn down service and evening freshening of the room was a nice touch. Special thanks to my friend that kept the fridge stocked.

The slides provided great entertainment as usual. Ferman as well as all the other wonderful caretakers around the pool are a delight and the service they provide is awesome. This brings me to the entertainment crew. Wow, these people work their hearts out to keep us entertained and what a job they do. I laughed til my face hurt at some of the antics, can't thank them enough. Word of warning, if Jordan is going down the center slide stand clear and have your camera ready!!! I assure you you'll never think of Bingo the same after a visit here. Then there's blind volleyball use your imagination. Entertainment plus.

If it's the beach you want, you got it. Great for a nice leisurely stroll or just to chill, beautiful. You can even enjoy good snorkeling right off the beach but bring water water shoes the coral reef is what makes the snorkeling so good however, it can be a little hard on the feet.

Short of going on and on I would close by saying. Past quests, no need for concern. For anyone considering a first time stay here, What are You Waiting For? I truly beleive it's the best value in Cozumel.

Many, many thanks to everyone for making my stay awesome. Til next year...

Room Tip: I like the rooms around the slide pool, comfy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank dmehsikomer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cozumel
Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Cozumel Palace
#2 of 51 in Cozumel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,630 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Secrets Aura Cozumel? Share your experiences!