“A Tourist Trap, but one with DOLPHINS!”

Dolphinaris Cozumel
Ranked #10 of 159 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphinaris Cozumel has a privileged location within the pristine waters of the Mexican Caribbean's heart; you will be able to enjoy a magical dolphin swimming with a tailor made ALL-INCLUSIVE service. The architecture of this dolphinarium is inspired in a fishermen village and has a design that, aside of being one of the most beautiful around the world, provides an ample home for dolphins where they can spaciously unwind during their dolphin encounter with our visitors. Visit us and experience the thrill of being propelled by a dolphin on top of the water surface and observe how they communicate; have magical moments in one of the most beautiful natural locations that only the Mexican Caribbean can offer! Swim with dolphins and enjoy in Dolphinaris Cozumel this lifetime experience that you can share with family and friends!
Oregon
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“A Tourist Trap, but one with DOLPHINS!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Here I am, happy as a clam...er, um, as a dolphin.

As you may have read in my Cozumel Adventure posts on my blog, my friend and I had a dolphin swim experience at Dolphinaris Cozumel (there are Dolphinaris in other areas too). The option we booked was the "Interactive Program". You can read up about it on the website.

We checked the reviews before booking and there were opinions all over the map. Mostly positive. I think the negative experiences ended up having more to do with being unprepared and having a different expectation than what was being offered. I read a LOT of reviews, I read the entire website, I had more than one lengthy online chat with a representative. By the time I booked I think I understood what to expect and adjusted accordingly.

It was a fantastic experience despite being very touristy and photo-sales-focused. They are wonderful creatures and I am so glad that I went. They are warm. Despite being wet and looking slick, they are like a rubber suit that doesn't even feel wet. We had no problems with the dolphins. They are wild animals, so do as you're told and pay attention to the instructions of the trainers. There's nothing more annoying to the trainers or the tourists, than a know-it-all tourist who does what they want and doesn't listen. That's how accidents happen.

Our trainer gave us a run-down of rules, and how we may touch the dolphins and when. He gave us some anatomy and behavior education about dolphins in general. You stand on a sandy ledge so you don't have to tread water. You are provided with a life jacket to borrow as part of your admission fee. You pretty much stand in a line with about 6-8 others in a group and the dolphin will swim by and let you touch it. Then one at a time, they begin to work on posing everyone with the dolphin to get the photos. It lasts about an hour with 40 minutes of interactive time in the water. It sure doesn't feel like that long. I could have stayed all day. It goes by QUICK.

The Mexico dolphin swims are WAY less expensive than those you can book in the states. They are also highly centered on selling the photograph packages which are truly, breathtakingly expensive. The smallest pkg you can buy is a $29 5x7 printed photo. The range can end up to nearly $500 in a quick hurry. For photos. So be ready for that. They spend much of your in-water time, setting up the poses for photos. That's a disappointment, but you're STILL in the water, with a dolphin!

So I tried to readjust my brain to just add whatever photos I purchased onto the price of the swim. The swim we chose was $79 per person. The photos, like many purchases in Mexico, are negotiable. Know that ahead of time. My friend and I negotiated a single pkg with photos of both of us, it contained about 33 photos on a CD, two printed photos, and a DVD of our swim (which is more of a promotional video for Dolphinaris). It was valued at over $400. We negotiated not only the combined single pkg, but got what I mentioned above for $158 and we were permitted to split it up so she paid half and I paid half. Still freaking expensive but it is sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity, and they know it. DON'T PAY FULL PRICE for the photos. If they are not working with you on a price you like, just get the $29 printed photo and walk away. Honestly, one great photo will be fine.

You can rent towels, and lockers. Do so. Well, we brought our own towels, but you'll need a locker for your valuables. You cannot take anything but your flip flops and your locker key to the water area with you, and even those are stowed in a seat compartment before you go to the water's edge. The lockers are small and will vary according to which Dolphinaris you book with. In Cozumel, they locker was square and large enough to hold both of our beach bags (I noticed at some other Dolphinaris areas, locker size will vary so ask ahead based on which facility you're visiting). We minimized what we brought with us because we knew space would be limited. We locked up stuff in our hotel safe. They have outdoor showers (cool water only), and the dressing rooms are private and fine for our purposes.

I will encourage you again, to read, read, read everything about the process from other reviewers and from the website, and ask any and all questions you have before you book so you'll be prepared.

You may not wear ANY jewelery in with the dolphins (so we locked ours in the in-room safe at our hotel). This will include any specialty piercings (if they are visible outside your suit). This is for the safety of the dolphins (so they don't get scratched or injured) and for the liability of Dolphinaris. They don't want to have to deal with issues of jewelry falling off or breaking and ending up somewhere in the bottom of a dolphin pool. I have a nose piercing and I used a clear spacer and that was not noticed.

You may not wear any perfumes, creams, lotions, sunscreen etc in the water. This is so as not to pollute the water and harm the dolphins. So we showered before we left, left all of those items off, and I braided my hair to keep it back and out of the way. If you wear anything on your skin, they are going to make you shower it off.

There will not be any cameras allowed down near the water's edge and many experienced being told that NO photos could be taken inside. Once the swims are underway, they want to sell you photos so they don't let you take your own. Disappointing, but if you know ahead, there will be less hard feelings.

They encourage you to eat in their restaurant. I read in the reviews that the food wasn't very good so we didn't eat there. Besides, we paid for all-inclusive at our hotel, so we ate there.

I read in the reviews that getting there early or booking the first swim of the day (you pretty much need reservations ahead) is a quieter, less busy time. We went in the off season (August), but still, we booked the first swim of the day. We arrived by Taxi before they even opened and just waited outside and snapped some photos of the surrounding area. Apparently, ruise ships dock and bring lots of passengers as the day wears on.

For a first experience, this was great. I needed/wanted something "tame" and controlled. I was not prepared to go into the open ocean for a dolphin experience. It had its down sides but once I was prepared ahead of time, there really weren't any surprises and I was satisfied with my experience.

Yes, these are captive dolphins. So if you have strong, negative feelings about that, this isn't the option for you. These dolphins were captured before the laws were passed making it illegal to capture them. It is my understanding that these are those original dolphins or their offspring. They would not be prepared to live in the wild, and if nobody patronized the Dolphinaris, they might either turn them loose or kill them...there would be no reason to keep them and they would be a liability. The trainers seem to truly love the dolphins, and the dolphins seem to be content and willing. I know it's hard to say for sure, but I got the feeling they enjoy the appreciation and awe they receive. They are ambassadors and teachers. I have stronger feelings about some of SeaWorld's underhanded practices than I do about Dolphinaris. It's a personal choice you'll have to make for yourself.

All we took with us was our passports, a credit card, a little cash. We had our suits on under a sundress, and brought towels and underwear for after. We were then able to leave Dolphinaris and do some shopping in the area before returning to our hotel. Our beach bags were waterproof, our suits were wrapped in our towels, and we just used our beach bags as our shopping purses.

Visited August 2012
11 Thank Cherthejoy

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“fun experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

seriously one of the best experience ive ever had! its a little expensive to swim with the dolphins but its so worth it. at first you have to go to and take a seat while the trainers explain some rules so once your in the water you dont panic or do rough movements because sometimes that scares the dolphins. you do belly rides kiss the dolphin then they kiss you and you even dance with them and meanwhile your doing all this theres people taking pictures of you and recording. then you also interact with the dolphins you give them some fish to eat and we where with the older dolphins because they have a section where the little dolphins stay.overrall it was one of the best moments i could of had in cozumel. i will defenetly do this again and again and againn

Visited October 2011
Appleton, Wisconsin
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Dolphinaris”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Went to Dolphinaris and enjoyed it very much. The trainers were great with the dolphins. I went to Dolphin Discovery a couple of years ago. I highly recommend going to Dolphinaris.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank 4Scoopy
Columbus, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Do it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Awesome experience! The staff breaks you into groups of 4-15 and each group is assigned a trainer and a dolphin. Our trainer was funny and had the answers to all our questions. There is a ledge that those less excited about swimming can stand in and still be involved, however, everyone gets fitted with a lifevest that keeps you afloat and your head above water Recommend for all age groups.

Visited September 2012
Mesquite, Texas
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

It was one of the greatest experiences I have ever had. I had been told I could not wear a hat but after explaining to the trainers, they allowed me to wear my hat. They said it would be a good teaching tool for the dolphins. In fact the first time the dolphin came by to see me, she passed me by. The trainer talked to her and she came back and did everything she should. The lunch was light but good and it did not cost us a thing to ride to and from. I had plenty of time for shopping and was able to meet up with my group.

Visited August 2012