“Be aware - poor diving in Cozumel”

Blue Angel Dive Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: The Blue Angel Dive Shop has been in operation since 1987. We are part of the Blue Angel Resort. We are a small 22 room hotel, dive shop and restaurant. We pride ourselves on the high number of repeat customers we have. We have fast boats, great dive masters, fun instructors and overall a very comfortable, happy shop...come see for yourself! You will want to be part of our family.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had heard so many great things about diving off Cozumel and we did a lot of research on Trip Advisor and just walking into the many dive shops in Playa Del Carmen before we decided to go with DIVE MEXICO, they then outsourced the dive to Dive Angel. we were told we would be diving one of the great wall sites in Cozumel.

We took the ferry to Cozumel and were picked up by a rep from BLUE ANGEL dive company, we were put on a board a boat with a family of snorkelers.

We are PADI qualified Rescue Divers and experienced diving in some of the best dive spots in Asia and Australia.

This quickly became THE WORST dive we have ever had. The first dive was at an average of 12m with no wall in sight, in fact for exactly 15 mins of our 45 min dive we were swimming across sand with absolutely nothing to see. After the first dive we asked the dive master what had happened and would the second dive be any better? He said that we could only go to certain areas as we had the snorkels to consider. The second dive was no better.

We expressed our dissatisfaction to the dive master and then to the manager of this third company dive centre. After much discussion the manager said we could return and dive for free the next day or at a later date, we were not going to be able to do this due to our travel plans.

My advise is to be very clear on where you will be diving and what level if dive it is and avoid going on a boat full of snorkelers.

2  Thank Gwynth

Reviewed August 22, 2013

3  Thank Mandy D
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Having only been open water certified a week before our trip to Cozumel, my son and I were certainly the beginners on our afternoon/sleep-over/morning dives (4 dives in all). We had two instructors, Tony in the afternoon, Jorge in the morning. Both were super-duper friendly, and our experience couldn't have been better (sample size of two: certification in murky Monterey, CA, and 4-dive-infinite-visibility-Cozumel).

They made us put our gear together and then checked it all to make sure we had done it right. They showed us tricks with the weight belts to ensure we didn't accidentally lose the bricks upon ascending the ladder after the dive. They really made us feel safe and wanting to come back.

Thanks, Jorge and Tony, for making our Cozumel trip fantastic!!

We will be back!!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great experience. 4 of us went. Everyone had a great dive. Lots of sea life. One of the best dives I've done.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Bear with me, if you are a beginner diving in Cozumel - BE WARNED and read this:

I booked my diving with Scuba Playa in Playa del Carmen, prior to travelling to Mexico last month. I didn't realise at the time that they effectively subcontract the booking to another dive company for Cozumel dives, which wouldn't have been a problem if the dive company they booked me on were any good, which they were not.

It started as soon as we (myself, my partner and 7yr old daughter) boarded the dive boat at Cozumel. The dive instructor (who I cannot name as he never bothered to introduce himself), came across as rude and unfriendly straight away. The boat left the dock and he immediately disappeared onto the roof (helm) of the boat without telling anyone what the itinerary was, what dive sites we were headed for or even what facilities were on board for us. Not a good start.

Once he did re-appear when we were near the first site, he asked each of us that were diving (myself and 3 other divers - my partner and daughter were only snorkelling) what experience we had, to which I replied '9 dives'. To which he literally rolled his eyes! I only certified last December and this was to be my first dive since then, so I was a little nervous as I am still only a beginner, and don't claim to be anything else. His response did not fill me with confidence and made me feel more like a hindrance. Particularly since the other divers had far more experience than me.

He then told us we were diving 'The Wall' which is a steep drop off, where we would dive to approx. 25-30m (I had previously only been to around 22m, and my OW certification only allows me to go to 18m). The site also has a strong current.

We prepared our gear and (again, being a beginner) I asked him to check mine. He did give it a once over, but (and I only realised this later) did not check it properly. So... in we went. (It is worth noting here that there was no safety talk, signal discussions or buddy checks prior to going in).

As soon as I hit the water my reg failed.. no air. so I signalled I was not okay and swam back to the boat and the boat hand checked and sorted this out. The instructor was already away from the boat and did not return to check I was okay. Once sorted, we descended.

In my opinion, we descended fairly quickly and I did not equalise quickly enough, so I signalled to the instructor that I was having a problem with my ear. He did not approach me, but signalled back to equalise and continued with the other divers. I wanted to take my time, ascend and try again, but I was under pressure to keep up with the other divers and not get separated, so I kept descending and kept trying to equalise. I have never had problems with my ears before on a dive.

As we descended to around 25m, I signalled about 5 times, and every time he did the same and at no time did he approach me and guide me through it. So, my ear got worse, until I had terrible pain.

When we finished the dive and got out, my ear was completely blocked, and remained so for 3-4 days. So I couldn't take the 2nd dive that day and had to cancel the Advanced Open Water certification I had booked on a few days later.

Maybe I am mistaken, but my understanding is that dive leaders are there to guide divers and ensure their safety at all times, and being the least experienced of the group, he should have stayed closer to me and made sure I was okay????

I also realised after the dive that I had not fixed one of the BC straps correctly to my tank, which I know is my responsibility, but I did ask him to check this for me! This could have been incredibly dangerous had my gear failed at 30m in a strong current!

His whole attitude right from the start was that he couldn't be bothered, which was actually reinforced when he was asked how long he'd been doing it, to which he replied 'too long'.

On a positive (yes, there was one!) the skipper and boat hand were excellent and looked after my daughter and partner very well while they snorkelled.

6  Thank Kelly F