“Independent Scuba Trip in Cozumel (and Mayin Ruins) - On Cruise”

Deep Blue Scuba Diving
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I did not scuba dived for six years and on the cruise ship they had one referesher class held on the evening of boarding.
Rule 1 - check if there is a refresher and when the minute you board. I waited for the next morning and missed it.
So I did not want to go with the cruise options (Oasis of the Seas, Royal Caribbean)
Once we got to Cuzumel I was happy to find at the end of the doc right off the boat a store for
Dive with Martin. Because you don't wan to waste time we got on their boat in 20 minutes. They offered to give all of us (me and two sons 11 and 14) 2 shallow intro dives (which was my refresher) and then a deep dive for me for $115 per person which is a very fair price.

The good news is when you go with the Cruise ship scuba trip, they take to a pier very close to the ship and you are scubadiving where others are snorkling. We got on a speed boat and rode all the way to Palancar reserve where the scuba is much better and we had one amazing guide Ruben Perez who is a 3 time Cozumel Iron Man finisher. This guy is great and the cptain of the boat was super professional.

On the way to the dive spot Ruben explained to the boys the basics of diving and was great with them. we were back on the international dock in a few hours and took a taxi to San Gervasio, Mayan ruins. The list price is $75 or so, we haggled a bit and got a great guy to take us there for $50. entrance cost there is approx $16 but your pay $8 dollars twice I think one is to the Mexican Government and once to the village or ??? we got a guide for $20 who was funny and easy going. San Gervasio is the most advanced Mayan ruins on Cozumel but still there is not amazing temples to look at. Just a few houses and paved roads.
Bring water and hats.
Stay on path, there are snakes all around you.
We made it on time to the boat (you want to be early). There are traffic jams on the back and the captain is not going to wait for you. we even stopped on the way back to have tacos in a taco stand which are nothing like the ones sold in Taco Bell.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"the reefs"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed April 24, 2013

The people at the shop are helpful, fun and friendly! The dive masters and boat captains are also knowledgeable and friendly!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I just returned from a trip to Cozumel where I had 10 2-tank dives and 1 night dive with Deep Blue. I could not be happier with my choice of Dive Blue. If the weather looked as tho the dives would be cancelled, I got a call If the time of departure was changed, I got a call. If there was any question about a dive, (night dive) I got a call. The organization was what you would want it to be. The Dive Masters, which most are Instructors, are top notch and have a great knowledge of the reefs. If you wanted to see a Sea Horse, they would find you one. I've been diving for many years in many countries around the world and have a Padi MSDT certification so I have a pretty good idea of how a dive company should run and how good the employees should be to be successful. Dive Blue has all of this along with good pricing. If your going to be diving in Cozumel and are looking for a good company, Deep Blue is a your choice.

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I did two dives today with deep blue, both were fantastic other than ear problems. The price was more than right, a lot cheaper than what I'm used to in cozumel. If I wasnt near the end of my 2 month vacation and low on funds I would dive with them again, you should. I would recomend to anyone and after your dive you will say the same. oh dive master was great too.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked five days of diving on Cozumel with Deep Blue Diving and they were such a mixed bag I found it quite difficult to rate them. After some thought I settled for 'poor' because they fell far short of what I've become accustomed to whilst diving with many other organisations around the world. This isn't to say they don't have good points, but too often I felt let down by their service, or rather lack of.

Specific points of concern were as follows :

Punctuality. This was a major issue causing a great deal of dissatisfaction on my part. I was staying at a hotel with a jetty where I was supposed to be picked up each morning at a specified hour. Not once was I picked up on time, and I never received any explanation as to why this was the case. This was not a case of being a few minutes late either. On one occasion the boat was an hour late.

Communication. Again this was poor. I was told more than once by Deep Blue Diving that they would telephone the hotel to leave messages for me regarding pick up times etc which varied from day to day. They regularly failed to do so and I was forced on more than one occasion to repeatedly ring them until they answered to phone to find out what was going on.

Choice of dive sites. I originally contacted Deep Blue Diving due to their supposed commitment to cater to the diver's requests. My request was that I wanted to spend some time having a bit of fun with my very amateur but enjoyable efforts at photographing marine life. I was told that this would be fine. Imagine my surprise when, after two days of nothing but diving through swim throughs and in the 'exciting' currents, I reminded a member of staff at the office of my request and was bluntly told 'Well, drift diving and photography just don't mix' as if I was some sort of fool who wasn't aware of Cozumel's dive conditions. No effort at all was made to allow me even one dive at a site with even a degree of shelter.

So, as you can see the customer service side of Deep Blue was friendly but disorganised at best and downright rude at worst.

On the positive side I had two different dive guides and both were good. They were clearly well educated about the reef and had a good rapport with the guests. Unfortunately the diving itself is not great right now as fish numbers are low and the reef is still recovering from the hurricane damage previously sustained. There were still some nice things to see though - plenty of green morays, nurse sharks and some accommodating seahorses to name a few. The splendid toadfish was the star of the show though - very cool.

As the reef continues to recuperate and fish numbers increase I'm sure Cozumel will steadily improve as a dive destination. If I ever go back will I choose Deep Blue Diving again? The guides were good and the hire gear was serviceable so if they sort out their organisational issues I'd consider giving them another go. Let's see what future reviewers have to say first.

2  Thank Leono