“Visit # 2”

Ranked #30 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Ottawa
“Visit # 2”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

We’ve been tardy in reviewing Occ Grand R C from last spring but essentially it would be a rehash of our review from the year before. The only things to add are as follows: flying Air Canada out of Toronto cost an extra $500 to fly first class which gave us extra luggage, airport lounge, very nice flight and best of all we and our luggage were off first so I think we were unpacking when there were still people going thru customs. Highly recommended.

The “not so goods” are as follows: no longer are beach towels provided in the rooms, towel cards only. The quiet pool bar is no longer staffed, which is a shame because my wife really enjoyed the quiet area and a very attentive bartender. The royal club hot tub is no longer hot, no matter how often you ask for the heat to be turned on. The beach buffet has downsized but is still more than adequate.

If you are considering cenote diving on the mainland for one day and have a rental, we’d recommend Mexico Blue Dream. We have all our own gear so Jacques met us at the ferry and after a breakfast stop we were the first in the water at 8:30 for two dives. Done and back in Playa by noon. Lunch was on them at a roadside taco stand.

If you attend the Carnival be sure to park at the outskirts of town (by the mall) since there is only one way out of town and hard to find. And talk about gridlock. We even tried to go around the island but the coast road was closed at night for turtle breeding.

We may be back in a few years but are now diving in Roatan. Not as classy but the beach and diving is great and restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed at the Royal Club of the Occidental Grand in Cozumel from november 12 to november 19.

When we arrived at the hotel, we had a long walk to go to the separate reception of the Royal Club. We were greeted with a nice glass of champagne and we receive our keys with the written confirmations that our demands had been respected.

The room was a good size and the bathroom was very nice (beautiful and big shower with plenty of hot water). There was a small fridge with beers, soft drinks and plenty of water bottles. A small balcony with a small table and two confortable chairs. Like it was mentionned in many artcles the walls are not soundproof, the air conditionning is noisy and it's pretty humid. Also there is no room with a view of the ocean (you're in the middle of a small jungle!). For us it was small inconvenients and not a big deal.

The food and the drinks (including the wine and the champagne) were great in the exclusive restaurant of the Royal Club. The service is perfect, staff is friendly and place is cozy. You feel like a VIP without paying the full price. The beach iis more than ok and it's a paradise for diving. You have servers at the beah for your drinks and the barttenders know their craft. The restaurant at the beach is good but it shouldn't be the only restaurant open at lunch time. (excluding the Royal Club restaurant). The food at the restaurants "à la carte" is good but the included wines are not that great. The air conditionnig works great at the disco but it's almost the only place that you have it. The lobby bar as an extensive list of quality drinks and a good ambiance.

Nelly Baas, general manager of the Royal Club, is very efficient and my wife and I were delighted about how we were treated.

5 stars for the people working there and the Royal Club, 4 stars for the Occidental Grand, so 4.5 stars overall.

Thanks again for a great week

M.R.

Room Tip: To have a memorable experience, you should pay the extra to be in the Royal Club (if the price is ri...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank propoker
Cincinnati
Reviewed November 27, 2011

My husband and I just returned from spending Thanksgiving week at the Occidental Grand in the Royal Club. This was our first stay at the Occidental and it was a nice vacation. The Royal Club is a small gated area with three buildings and a private jacuzzi pool and separate restaurant that is open for breakfast and dinner (with reservations). For some reason, I thought staying in the Royal Club would be a quieter area. This was not true during our stay and found the private pool often taking over by kids. The room was comfortable and clean on the surface. By that I mean the room could use a deep cleaning, like getting the ceiling fan blades clean. I don't expect the daily maid service to hit these areas and the daily service was very good. However, a monthly deep cleaning would be good. The bathroom was a very nice size and they did a good job keeping you in clean towels. The one thing really lacking for an area that is a diving destination is a some sort of clothing line or rack to dry out wetsuits and gear. We just laid ours over the bathtub.

With one exception in the RC concierge office, we found all staff members at the resort to be friendly and hard working. There were some upkeep areas of the resort that needed work, like cracked sidewalks and paint peeling buildings. On the plus side, we did also see repairs and work being done on these types of issues. The layout of the resort works well and the lush green areas, pools and beach are lovely.

Like many folks who come to Cozumel, we were there for the diving. We like to use small dive operators over the larger (cattle boat) dive shops. The Occidental Grand allows local dive shops to pick up guest at the hotel pier. This is a great benefit of staying at this resort and one of the reasons we picked the Occidental Grand.

As for food, this is the biggest miss at the Occidental Grand and we would rate the restaurants as mediocre overall. There were some very good dishes, but they were not the norm. I was disappointed in the lack of Mexican food as I find that local dishes usually are the best. Pasta seemed to be the most common dish at every meal. In all of the restaurants we sampled (the Royal Club, the buffet, the beach restaurant and the private Sonora steakhouse and La Pizzeria), the restaurant staffs seemed to be overwhelmed. They were all trying their best and working hard, but just seemed to be understaffed. So, you had to ask repeatedly for drinks or to get refills of water. I ended up just getting my own water refills most nights.

Overall, we had a nice vacation at the Occidental Grand. However, I was not so taken with the resort that I would return without trying out some of the other options on Cozumel first.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrhc
Temecula
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My husband and I recently returned from a short trip to Cozumel. We had the pleasure of staying at the Occidental Grand. The resort it self was beautiful the grounds were amazing, it was like being in the middle of the jungle. That's where you don't want to forget your bug spray (you will need it) When we checked in to the hotel they had upgraded us to the Royal Club which was a nice surprise. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, the beds on the other hand were what to expect in Mexico and really need to be updated they were very hard.. The staff there were great and would do what ever possible to make your stay an enjoyable one. The beach area was beautiful. We have stayed in Cozumel several times before but always choose to stay closer to town and if you are familiar with Cozumel then you know its all semi man made beaches so this was a pleasent surprise to acutally have a streach of white sand beach to walk on. Since this was a very quick stay for both my husband and I, we choose not to dive this time around. (Mistake) We did snorkel in front of the hotel which was so so. I guess it is because we both have dove Cozumel before and know what it has to offer underwater. If you are not divers then you will love the snorkeling. My only complaint was the lack of food. Unfortunately, when we were there no on else was. The resort was empty which brings me back to the food, because it was off season the resort only had 1 restaurant open which was on the beach, searving breakfast, lunch and dinner. There was not much variety to chose from and it was avarge. I'm just glad that our trip was short, because there would have been no way I could have ate there every meal for a week. The highlight to our stay was when we rented a car to drive around the island (highly recommened) about 15 mins. up from the Grand on the other side of the island we came across some locals digging in the sand and being the nosey person I'm told my husband to pull over and to our surprise they were digging up baby sea turtles releasing them into the ocean we both just stood back for a bit watching and before we knew it we were being handed baby turtles to release ourselves. What a GREAT experience.. All in all our short trip was great!!! Next time we go to Cozumel I would stay at the Occidental Grand without a doubt. But next time around will be packing my dive gear and making sure that more then 1 restaurant is open.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Newfielover
Keller
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I recently returned from a diving trip and stay at the Occidental Grand Royal Club. My experience was excellent! My room was comfortable and very clean. Every member of the staff was helpful and willing to accommodate any need. The resort has never looked better and they were doing some painting and repairing in areas without interrupting guests. Nelly, Andrea, Nallally at the Royal Club office were very attentive. I took this trip by myself and felt very safe in all areas of the resort.
I have stayed at Occidental Grand 8 times, but this was my first stay in the Royal Club and it was excellent.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank 1ScubamomKeller
OccidentalCozumel, General Manager at Royal Level at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear 1Scubamomkeller,
Thank you for your eight stay and for your continuously loyalty. I appreciate you taking the time to write your recent experience. I am pleased to read we provided a flawless experience at our Royal Club.
Thank you also for mentioning one of our employees by name; we will recognize Nelly, Nallely, and Andrea for providing this excellent service as you mentioned.
Again thank you and we hope to host you again in this you second home in Cozumel.
Yours Sincerely,
Reviewed August 6, 2011

In short, my wife and I have vacationed here 8 times since 2003 with and without our young kids. Our kids are now 2,4 & 6 and we just got back from Herr yesterday. The service is great amongst all other aspects of the facility. Our kids live the Kids Club and we feel safer there than we do at home in US. We are not real high maintenance people and love the differences between Mexico and home. It's great for our kids to experience and we have recommended this location to many if our friends. Hope you go and have a great time.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank Poonhabib
Dear Poonhabib,
Thank you for your eighth stay and for taking the time to write your recent experience at the Royal Club. I am glad to read you had a good stay again.
We look forward to welcoming you on your 9th visit, and once again THANK YOU for being such a loyal guest..
Yours Sincerely
Deer Park, Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This was my 5th trip to Cozumel and my 5th stay at the Occidental Grand Cozumel Royal Club! This was my best stay and vacation by far. All the managers and staff at the Royal Club went above and beyond the normal to make sure our accomodations were met. Our room was perfect! The staff was friendly! The beach here is breath-taking! The weather was perfect! Our 8 days flew by and I can't wait to get back!!
The property and grounds are very clean and well maintained! Just a beautiful place to be! I want to thank Marcela, Nelly, Yamile and everyone who made this a fabulous trip!
Also want to thank Antonio, Arturo and Krystal for your prompt and courteous service. You all are the best!
We will definitely be back next July! Can't wait!

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend upgrading to the Royal Club.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
OccidentalCozumel, General Manager at Royal Level at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Dear lorispink,
Thank you for your stay and for your continuously loyalty. We also thank you for taking the time to write your recent experience at the Royal Club and for mentioning one of our employees by name; we will recognize Marcela, Nelly, Yamile, Antonio, Crystal, Arturo for providing this excellent service as you mentioned.
Again thank you and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.
Yours Sincerely,