“Good first-time snorkel experience”
Review of Playa Uvas

Playa Uvas Open Bar Exclusive Pass
$125.00*
Baja 1000 Combo Lunch and Snorkel Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Our shore snorkel, resort & certified diving and catamaran snorkel trip are some of the examples of experiences you can live while you are visiting us. Or if you feel like relaxing, enjoy a massage in our lounge area by the pool, where under palm trees you will feel the breeze of the Caribbean Ocean. If you feel like shopping you can browse in our store of typical Mexican crafts.Our specialties restaurant and our bar will complement and excellent day of sun, sea and sand. But above all, let us transmit the pride of serving you in our beach, located in a privileged area of Cozumel, by the marine park of Chankanaab.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was a day excursion for my family on the Celebrity Constellation cruise ship, and one of the reasons we signed up for it was the clear kayaks. Unfortunately, when we landed, we were informed by Luis that the waters were too rough for the kayaking part, but that we could still take a taxi over to Playa Uvas and go snorkeling. We were very disappointed, but ended up agreeing to do that. The weather seemed perfectly fine that day, so I'm not sure why it was judged too rough. But Luis did give us a discount on the excursion we got.

We were met by Mario, who was our guide and took us out snorkeling. I have to say, even though there were very people who had ever snorkeling in our group, including some ladies much older than I, I was the biggest wimp! I couldn't get used to the idea of breathing through a tube under water. And I wasn't familiar with how to walk in flippers, especially over the rocky reef from the beach into the water. But from the start, Mario was as nice as could be; he had me hold onto a boogie board and he dragged me around with him, the whole time! It really helped to make me feel more comfortable, and I finally relaxed and could enjoy seeing the aquatic sights below.

There weren't as many sights as I'd assumed I see, but near the end we did see an octopus, a sting ray, and several angel fish. The fish were not shy to come near us!

After snorkeling for about an 45 minutes (?) we came back and got a coupon for a free drink; I had a pina colada. And we had some delicious guacamole and chips. I have to say, having visited Cozumel in college, years ago, and having gotten Montezuma's revenge then, I was very wary of eating or drinking anything, but the cruise officials assured me that all approved excursion sights had food that would not be a problem for Americans. And that ended up being true.

Other than the disappointment of missing the clear kayak experience, we had a great time.

UvasVago, Guest Relations Manager at Playa Uvas, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thanks very much for your review! We are glad that you had a great time at playa Uvas! We are sorry that you weren´t able to do the clear kayaks as you had planned. We do hope that you will be able to come back again sometime and visit us! Saludos

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Warning: there is no dock. To board the catamaran, you will have to walk in chest high surf across rocky and uneven bottom to board the boat. Wear aqua socks as it is very easy to injure your feet. If you have any expectation of the sails being hoisted and skimming across the azure Caribbean waters, forget it. Two outboard motors will be puttering the entire trip, ruining any aesthetic surroundings. The 3-hour snorkeling adventure, which costs $500.00 (USD) is not what you'd expect. After a taxi ride down the shore for about a mile, the boat comes right back up the shore and puts you in the water right next to the cruise ships. Then, a guide will lead you on a tour of a "reef" and will drop watermelon in the water so as to attract fish. You cannot snorkel on your own, you're always in a group, bumping up against everyone else. Then, after about 20 minutes or so, you'll reboard the cat and motor back down the coast on the OTHER side of the cruise ships. So, whatever they're doing to the water, you're swimming in that and breathing the air from the exhaust of 3-5 ships. Instead of SAILING your catamaran to some picturesque location that is free from the tourist traffic, you're right off the main and very unsightly Cozumel tourist traps and will have a never ending view of broken down concrete structures and other brick-a-brack littering the shore; more reminiscent of Juarez or Tijuana vs. a "resort". If you've never snorkeled before, you'll ooh and ahh about the tropical fish in the beautiful water. Experienced snorkelers will want to avoid this excursion and, in fact, may want to avoid Cozumel altogether. One other warning: the little señorita serving fresh fruit to you after you come out of the water is not familiar with proper food prep and handling. You'll crave the sweet sugary fruit after your exhausting swim, but may want to pass. With no hand washing whatsoever, she touches everything on the boat before handling the fruit. Nothing but a recipe for disaster.

The irony of this entire trip is that people were entering the water from a shop on the shore and snorkeling over to the same spot that we paid a catamaran $500 bucks to putter to. And , our THREE HOUR excursion only lasted 2:20. As it turns out, that was the only bright spot.

1  Thank W F
UvasVago, Guest Relations Manager at Playa Uvas, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for your comments while we appreciate your comments and will take them into consideration as I have already passed them on to captain of the vessel. Cozumel is one of the number one dive and snorkel sites in the world and everybody usually loves Cozumel and the water clarity and so forth. The concrete structures that you likely saw along the way are buildings that were destroyed back in 2005 after Hurricane Wilma rolled through which was the biggest hurricane the island has ever seen. We do visit picturesque sites on the tour such as el cielo. As far as boarding the catamaran the water is not chest high to board but no there is no as we are not allowed to construct one within the marine park area. Thanks again and we hope that you will give our island a chance again sometime.

Kind Regards

Reviewed January 19, 2013

After doing an excursion, there was time left over so we were taken to Uvas for 1 hour. Had I known about this place I would have preferred this over the excursion any day!! We were greeted so kindly. My sons swam in the ocean and I got a deep massage on back, neck and arms ($50.00). Niceeeee. It was to bad we were there only 1 hr but I know I will go back without a doubt. Since we were there on a cruise line, the uvas personnel took us to the cruise terminal in plenty of time to catch our ship (free).

Thanks very much for your review! We are glad that even though you were only able to stay an hour, you enjoyed your time with us even so. Thanks again and we do hope to see you again now you do know about us and we hope to see you again maybe on your next trip to Cozumel. Saludos;)

Reviewed January 13, 2013

For the cost, this was definitely a great choice! We opted for the beach pass with lunch and unlimited drinks. We received use of a beach chair and umbrella, took a 30 minute guided snorkeling tour, and chose a delicious lunch from a list of options. Taxi ride was only $12 each way. I definitely recommend this to anyone spending the day in Cozumel!

1  Thank aumphress14
UvasVago, Guest Relations Manager at Playa Uvas, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Thanks for your review we are glad that you were able to come and enjoy our facilities and that the staff took good care of you we do hope that you will visit us again. Thanks again Saludos;)

Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I'm so glad we allowed our taxi driver pick out our destination while in the Cozumel port for a Carnival cruise! My first time snorkeling in Mexico was awesome!

For $12 each, we received beach chairs, umbrella and use of snorkeling gear. Plus, the club gives you 12-$1 bar tickets that we used for bottled water and Cokes, so it was basically free admission. We ordered fajitas and a side a guacamole for lunch, both were delicious and reasonably priced.

The lady who runs the gift shop was terrific as was the test of the staff. They offered to let me tag along on their snorkeling tour from a Royal Caribbean excursion for free and also had glass bottom kayaks available for use.

Will definitely stop here again next time we're in Cozumel.

Thanks very much for your review we are glad that you had such a great day with us at Uvas and that you also enjoyed the snorkeling. Thanks again and we do hope to see you again. Saludos;)