“The best kept secret in Cozumel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Aldora

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cozumel
Villa Aldora
Dardanelle, Arkansas
“The best kept secret in Cozumel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Background:
I have gone diving all over the world and experienced many different types of accommodations over the years. My last 10 (that's ten) trips in a row alone; have been to Bonaire to stay with Den Laman Condos. I was looking for a smaller intimate villa that would provide a similar experience on Cozumel. We love that place too, but were ready for a change.

So, I went solo this time as a scouting trip prior to bringing my wife this summer - to establish that this was as good as the online reviews portrayed Aldora to be [can it really be that good] and hopefully for a change of scene from Bonaire. My wife has a strict policy to only go where I have already been - to try to prevent bad experiences. Also, this was my third trip to Cozumel so I feel I already had some sense of the island. Prior trips I had stayed at Casa Del Mar.

In a sentence: I have never had every single aspect of a stay EVER go so flawlessly - anywhere in the world!

Nothing was left to chance with Brent and his staff at this location!

I am a firm believer in keeping the customer happy and everything else will just fall into place.
They obviously hold this same belief.

Brent was VERY visible throughout the stay - yet never intrusive. He was there in the morning to make sure people got on the correct boat and helped hand gear down to the boat, as well as in the afternoon to make sure to help getting the people and gear off the boat went flawlessly.

He was always asking what else he could do to make your stay more enjoyable but without getting in the way. This is a true talent. He also genuinely was interested in the fact that you DID have a great time and really did want to help in any way possible.

Upon arrival I was allowed to unpack a bit before being taken to the dive shop to check in there for the next days diving. Following this, Brent then took me to the supermarket to purchase a few items that would make my stay more enjoyable. Again, he was available when you looked for him - but left you to do your shopping. He also assisted in speaking Spanish to the people at the deli so I got the specific cold meat and cheeses that I was requesting. Simply amazing!

During the 5 days I was there, they had complimentary massages for the neck one afternoon and a managers social one afternoon that had a high attendance. While these type of things do not define a villa, they simply added to whole of the experience; which is why I mention them.

I have never before felt like I was part of a family immediately upon check-in and - from here on out.

During my stay, I expressed interest in seeing some of the other rooms as I stayed in Courtyard North. Brent gave me an on-the-spot tour and left the unoccupied rooms unlocked so I could return with my camera and photograph as many details as I wished.

I also never had any worry about security either around the villa or with personal items in my room. Brent tells me that their staff has had a very long tenure which speaks volumes.

Rooms weren't clean. They were SPOTLESS. I was consistently unable to find anything out of place during my entire stay.

Their WIFI was reliable and they had (as others have mentioned) working VoIP phones for guest use with USA based numbers to keep in contact with people at home.

The A/C was quiet, reliable, and as cold as you needed. Ceiling fans were an added nice touch.

It's also worth noting that I had a personal situation that arose that required me to leave mid-stay after only 5 nights. I was concerned that I may not get any kind of refund based on my prepaid diving and villa. Brent took everything in stride, and immediately prepared a written invoice showing what was paid, what was used, and what the refund was and then counted out the bills that same day from both the villa and the dive shop portions. WOW

I also had the absolute pleasure to meet Dave Dillehay and visit with him on many occasions while I was there. Being the owner of both the villa and the dive operation it was very easy to see that he is a friendly and laid back, yet a no-nonsense type of guy. He gives his people the latitude required to meet every customer need. We also spoke of how to "do things right" and he clearly isn't just talk.

I asked Brent to arrange a taxi to the airport and he had followed up with the driver both the night before and also the day of. The taxi arrived 10 minutes early and Brent was there to make sure my final moments of my stay were perfect.

This is the real deal folks!

RELIABLE, CONSISTENT, SERIVICE ATTITUDE, SECURE, VALUE, EXTREMELY FRIENDLY

Bottom line:
================
Would I return? Ah.. Yeah in a heartbeat. I'm booking my return trip for June - this weekend.
(sorry Bonaire)

Did I enjoy every single aspect of the stay? Absolutely!

What would I recommend they change? Absolutely nothing!

Would I recommend to others? Without hesitation!

Greatest fear? That word will get around and they will be sold out 365 days a year and I can't ever return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank Kurt O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Fairbanks, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

Aldora Divers and their hotel Aldora Villa offer the best experience for scuba divers on Cozumel.

About a week before leaving home for Cozumel the hotel manager Brent gave us a phone call to confirm our arrival and ask if there was anything special we needed upon arrival. Very thoughtful.

The twelve room Villa is right on the ocean where the day of diving starts when the boat arrives right out front, about 15 steps from our room. It is nice to have a cup of coffee under the palapa while waiting for the boat.

We were in the roomy Barracuda room which is on the bottom floor with sliding glass doors opening to the front veranda and the ocean beyond. This room has a well equipped kitchen with knives that have actually been sharpened, unlike most hotels and condos I have been in. There is a flat screen tv with cable, complimentary high speed internet, and free long distance phone calls back to the US. The room is kept immaculate and cleaned daily by their friendly and attentive staff.

Hotel management, Brent and Debbie, strive for perfection and bend over backwards for their guests. The first day at the Villa Brent offered to take us to the dive shop to drop off our equipment and to take us to the supermarket to get groceries. Brent was always inquiring if there is anything that we need, and quick to provide any request.

Once you drop off your gear, the crew makes sure it ends up on your boat, sets it up, and rinses it afterwards for every trip. All you have to worry about is your wetsuit, your sunglasses, and your t-shirt. Surface intervals usually take place at one of the beach clubs, making for a nice time to talk with the other divers on the trip over a snack.

Back at the Villa, there is a great sense of community with all guests' names written on a dry erase board in the common area. This place really feels like a land-based live aboard dive boat with its seamless coordination with the dive shop. It's all about the details here. Bicycles are provided if you want to bike the short ride into town. Mosquito repellent, swimmers ear drops, and first aid supplies are readily available if needed. A couple air tanks are stored at the Villa if you want to do a shore dive out front as well as a couple sea kayaks, if you want to stay above the water. Of course these are not rentals, just nice things for the guests to use.

Aldora has multiple dive boats in their operation, and they do a great job of placing divers with similar ability together for very enjoyable dives. All of our dives had six or less divers on board. For a couple of days, there were only three divers on board (most operations would cancel dives if a minimum of six divers weren't on board). Definitely not a 'cattle' boat. Aldora provides 120cuft steel high pressure tanks. Our dives averaged an hour and ten minutes.

This truly is an exceptional operation. This is my fourth time with Aldora over the years, and I won't consider going anywhere else while in Cozumel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Fair Oaks, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Discovered this on Trip Advisor, and it did not disappoint in one way. After booking we decided to extend our stay, no problem. Because we booked late (6 months prior) the only option was for my friend and me to have separate rooms. We felt the prices were reasonable enough that would be fine. And it was.

Our remarkable experience started with a personal phone call from Brent a few days out with helpful advice about transportation, etc. Can you remember EVER getting a phone call from a hotel manager prior to your arrival? Villa Aldora does that.

Brent and Debbie are very hands on, and always around and willing to immediately deal with anything. But they are never intrusive. A very special two people.

After a couple of days in our two rooms, we were asked if we would be willing to move if they could improve our room. Duh??? We were upgraded to the Aldora Suite. At no extra cost. This suite is to die for. Two master bedrooms, 3 TVs, ocean view on 2 floors, incredible kitchen...We won the lottery. That's how thoughtful Brent and Debbie are. If no one is coming in, why not let some people have a remarkable experience!

We would definitely stay here again. We took a taxi to a restaurant even night, and never waited more than a few minutes for one to come by. And it was pretty inexpensive.

We dove with Aldora Divers, and the coordination between the two operations is flawless. Every morning the whiteboard on the plaza would list our names by boat and dive master.

Another white board shows who is here from what state/country. It was another example of the personal touch.

Room Tip: Aldora Suite is the best.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank EEBurm
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

This a a great place to stay. On a clear, calm day, there is nothing better than the views from the Villa.

Debbie works hard to make your stay enjoyable, and is very helpful. She is very organized, and takes great care of the guests.

I love that they pick you up at the dock when you're diving that side of the island.

I'd recommend a larger room, because the smaller rooms are a bit cramped if the weather isn't nice enough to lounge outside.

Also, there is a service to order breakfast from in the morning if you don't have a kitchen in your room, or you don't want to cook on vacation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JWMillertyme
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

I agree with all the other positive comments on both Aldora's dive operation as well as their Villa. Top notch! From "Kay" handling reservations to "Brent and Debbie" managing the Villa....it doesn't get any better than this! Brent drove my wife to the doctor for a minor ear infection (a reasonable $60 doctor bill) and followed us to the airport for our departure because our rental car's tire had a fast leak (as well as filled the tire with air a couple times) The dive shop loaned us a nitrox computer at no charge. My booties were falling apart and they had a pair for me the next day on board the boat ....again at no charge. They were always asking if we needed anything.....even called us before we arrived from California to see if we had any questions. Always there if needed but never obtrusive.

While the trip to the most popular dive sites does take 30-45 minutes from the Villa, the extra time is worth it as they only use "Steel" tanks (80's, 100's & 120's) instead of aluminum. Our dives were all over 70 minutes (100's) and with the optional nitrox....it was awesome diving!

The 2 Dive Masters we used over the week were excellent. Edgar offers a more aggressive dive profile and he is very knowledgeable. He was very patient with both of us. We were very "rusty"as we had not been diving for some time plus we had some new equipment we were not very familiar with. Ali has more of a relaxed style and was great at finding the small critters. She and her boyfriend Juan even joined us for dinner one night. Very personable.

Thank you for a wonderful time! We are looking forward to diving with you for a month in January 2015.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

Villa Aldora is my new favorite for diving in Cozumel. The whole process makes sense -- you first check in at the dive shop, hand them your gears, go to the villa, and next morning the boat comes to the villa with your gears. So easy... I could just get up, wash my face and go diving in the boat coming literally 10 steps away from my room. Every staff at the shop and villa is nice and casual, yet professional. The room is equipped with everything I needed and beyond: a big fridge and full kitchen, plenty of purified water, a phone you can use to call US for free. I cannot imagine a better place to stay for diving. I saw someone mentioned about the cost, but I didn't see that much difference. It actually seems very reasonable for the level of comfort I get from the place.

Room Tip: Stayed at Barracuda room, where I could hear the gentle sound of waves at night. Very peaceful. Ther...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank localhost8
Farmington, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Everyone at the Villa was extremely helpful and they cared if you had a good time. Aldora divers is the same way. Everyone seemed to get the dive site they wanted. The shore diving is excellent also, its like a mini reef with everything in its juvenile state.

Room Tip: its personal preference really, they seem to have a good variety to suit most needs.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo