“Great cozy hotel, perfect for divers”
Review of Mi Casa en Cozumel

Mi Casa en Cozumel
Ranked #4 of 25 Cozumel B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great cozy hotel, perfect for divers”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed in Mi Casa en Cozumel hotel as part of the dive package I got through my dive operator in Cozumel. This was my 2nd stay there and I think I like it even more than the first.
The hotel is a small, cozy bed and breakfast type hotel, perfect for people that use it as "base of operations" for different activities in and around Cozumel. It offers very tasty, traditional breakfasts that serve as a great source for energy for later daily endeavors. The hotel has beautiful architecture - mix of traditional Mexican with modern touch.
It's perfect to rest, cool down and rejuvenate between and after diving, hiking, sight seeing and eating too much in nearby restaurants :-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MemoLopezMX, Owner at Mi Casa en Cozumel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
It is great to hear that you liked our place even better the second time you stay with us.
We always try to improve small details and not sure if guests liked them or not. Hope to have you soon on your third stay and we wish that you will like us even better again.
Memo Lopez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
martinez
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Mi Casa in Cozumel is a real gem. Custom architecture, a safe location and delicious breakfast. The best bed and breakfast in all of Cozumel. I do recommend you stay on one of the top floors.
Within walking distance from everything you need. Try the restaurant next door, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank freezkoh
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed at the Mi Casa en Cozumel at the end of March 2013. We loved the place. We like funky and this place is funky. To see how we travel and decide if this review is appropriate for you go to our NON-commercial blog and read about our travels at: http://havecarryonwilltravel. One of the owners is an architect and the design of the hotel reflects this fact. The hotel is on a small lot and the rooms are put together in a very imaginative fashion.
When we arrived we were met by the lady that cleans the rooms and makes breakfast every morning. She does not speak English and we speak very little Spanish but we got the necessary information and were settled very quickly.
The beds are very comfy but are short. I am only 5’8” and bed was just long enough for me. If you are tall it is possible to sleep at an angle but if your partner is also tall it may be something to consider. The hot water was hit and miss. I think the tank is small so after a few days we started to time our showers about a ½ hour apart and everyone got a hot shower. This was not too much of a problem as even the cold water is warm to us so the worst was our showers were a bit quicker.
All the rooms have air conditioning but we did not turn ours on once. The place is set up so the cross ventilation provides sufficient air movement and at night we left the overhead fans running. Our room was on the ground level and I think the ventilation would be better in the rooms above grade. We were more than comfortable. I do not know if this would provide enough cool air in the midst of summer but it is fine for the first of April.
The rooms are very clean and were that way for our entire stay. Edma cleaned our room daily, made the bed and changed the towels.
The entire place is in good repair. Not the usual case in Mexico. One of our party had trouble with the toilet flushing and it was repaired by the time we arrived back from diving that day.
Memo is one of the owners and he spends a good amount of time on the premises. We had several long conversations with him and he seemed to enjoy the company of the guests. If we had any questions about the locale, he provided us with guidance from the point of view of a San Miguel citizen. One day he directed us to a ‘local’ quesadilla shop far from the tourist area and with our slightly expanded Spanish we had one of the best meals we encountered at a shockingly low price. (Chilango’s on 30 ave. Sur between 3 & 5)
The Mi Casa en Cozumel is located a short walk from downtown. (5 blocks) (We always walked so I cannot say what the cab fare would be.) To us this is a big plus. The entire city is accessible and we had easy access to a variety of restaurants.
Stay here you will not regret it.

Room Tip: The rooms above grade level would probably have better natural cross ventalation.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MurTheExplorer
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed at Mi Casa for 10 weeks and I loved my time there. The building is spectacularly beautiful, Memo and the staff do everything they can to make every minute of your stay at this oasis of tranquility a wonderful time.

The location is perfect for walking to everything in town, Mega (the large supermarket) is close by and some of the best restaurants on the island are close by.

Don't forget to keep an eye out for the emerald hummingbirds (endemic to Cozumel) that flit in and around the tropical flowers on the premises.

The neighbourhood has some dogs that sometimes get to barking, after a couple of days, I didn't notice them, but bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: I like Tamarindo, on the lower level and has two patios, one with a hammock that faces a garden.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 7, 2013

After booking a room online prior to the trip, I was offered a more expensive room at no extra cost so another guest wouldn't have to move. When I arrived I was impressed by the unique building that is beautifully decorated and clean. It is close to restaurants and the plaza yet far enough to be quiet at night. The lovely housekeeper made us great breakfasts and the owner let us check out a hour or two later at no extra cost because of our snorkelling trip. Our apartment did feel like home with a fully equipped kitchen and plenty of places to sit and relax in the complex. Would definitely stay here again if I go back to Cozumel. One point I would suggest is to get to the place - it is easiest to go one block in from the ferry straightaway and then walk towards the hotel. Walking along coast & then turning is more difficult as not many street signs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MemoLopezMX, Owner at Mi Casa en Cozumel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Hola, Thank you for letting us know you enjoyed your stay at Mi Casa en Cozumel and that you like the design and architecture of our hotel (that makes us very proud). I know you live very far from Mexico, but if you come back to this area we would be honored to have you again as our guests.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My fiance and I just returned from our stay in Mi Casa -- what a beautiful place! We are so grateful to Memo, the owner, who was exceptionally helpful and responsive in the e-mail communications leading up to our visit. Mi Casa has stunning exterior architecture and a gorgeous open air lobby. The rooms are spacious and clean, and each is decorated differently lending to a very homey atmosphere. Also, the location can't be beat. Tucked away on a quiet neighborhood street, it's still very central to the downtown area and only a short walk away to restaurants and shopping. I highly recommend this place for anyone looking for a low-key, at home feel. Can't wait to go back with family and friends! Thanks Memo!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MemoLopezMX, Owner at Mi Casa en Cozumel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay at Mi Casa en Cozumel, and it always makes me very proud of the design and architecture when guest like it, thank you.
Hope you can return soon with your family or friends, Memo Lopez
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

If you are looking for a beautiful, clean and centrally located room minutes from the Market, Ocean and main square this is the place for you. The building's architecture is absolutely beautiful, rooms are very clean and the breakfast is delicious- with great coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice, definitely a great way to start the day! Memo is a fabulous host- he helped us get a car rental delivered right to the B&B.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple