“Out of the way beach club, and that's a good thing”
Review of Playa Palancar

Cozumel Shore Excursion: 5-Hour Sightseeing Tour with Private Driver
More Info
$51.25*
and up
Private Tour: 5-Hour Cozumel Sightseeing with Private Driver and Tequila Tasting
Ranked #19 of 159 things to do in Cozumel
Reviewed February 27, 2011

The water entrance is rocky, and the wooden beach loungers desperately need cushions. Now that I have the minuses out of the way, let me tell you why I keep going back to Playa Palancar. On a day with 7 or more cruise ships in port, Palancar wasn't crowded. By the middle of the day many of the chairs were taken, but there were still 10 or more available. It didn't "feel" crowded at all.

The food was great, try the Mayan fish platter. They had gringo food on the menu if any of your party need burger and fries to survive.

Dalila Divers is onsite offering snorkel and/or dive trips every 60 yo 90 minutes. We dove on the Palancar reef after a 5 minute boat ride. There were a lot of other boats out there that needed a 20 to 40 minute ride just to get to the spot right off the beach here. Our dive master did a great job of helping my inexperienced diving daughter navigate her first ocean dive. The reef is incredible, in 20 to 35 feet of water we saw turtles, giant grouper, lobsters, eagle rays, tons of colorful fish and coral.

Don't let the low-tech website fool you, this is a great spot.

13  Thank UnaMicheladaPorFavor

Reviewed February 17, 2011

We were staying on the Island and were looking for a quiet beach to hang out at for the afternoon. Playa Palancer had no admission fee (bonus) and a beautiful sandy beach with peacocks and roosters mingling with the guests.
There is also a wetland adjacent to the beach with crocodiles, storks, flamingos, duck, and more to look at.
We did not use any of the services offered as we were just looking for a quiet place to relax but we were not pressured to buy anything.

4  Thank Rob4562
Reviewed February 1, 2011

The beach was quiet and the staff was friendly. The chairs were a little uncomfortable, but the well poored margaritas made up for it. Very nice.

6  Thank moutainsandrivers
Reviewed January 30, 2011

We spent the day here during a day trip to Cozumel. We really enjoyed ourselves here, and we thought it was better than the beach clubs in Playa because it was much smaller and we were right next to the water. We did the snorkel tour that goes out to Columbia shallows and another reef and that was really worth the money. We also snorkeled off the shore, which I thought was really fun as there were some fish, but this was my first time so I don't have anything to compare it to. The shore was really rocky and you have to have hard soled water shoes to make it in and out without falling or cutting your feet. The food was average, but the view and beach made up for it. We will definitely come back on our next trip.

5  Thank mcbitb
Reviewed January 29, 2011

So I read the other reviews on Palancar, and based my decision to go to that beach on them. It was suggested by others that for $30 or $35 you could do 3 reefs and about 2 or 2.5 hours of snorkeling. Well, they would not come close to that for us. We paid $30.00 each for 2 reefs and only 1 hour of snorkeling time. Granted there was about a 15 minute boat ride out to the reef so I guess you could consider the entire trip as a 1.5 hour trip.

The rest of the review is positive. The guide was very friendly and helpful. We saw 2 stingrays, 1 baracuda (sp?) and 2 sea turtles. Not to mention the normal smaller fish.

Also, the reef itself was very impressive. Not super colorful, but so large. The crevices were huge and one part of the reef dropped off into the deep ocean and you couldn't see to the bottom. It was very cool.

So bottom line is that it was a fun experience, but we were disappointed that we did not get a better value for our money.

Oh, also the cab ride was suppose to be $20.00 each way. I talked them down to $16.00 for the way out and would have paid the $20.00 for the return trip but hitched a free ride with some folks we met from Arkansas (our home state) who had a car.

The water was cool, but could have been done without a shorty.

Stew