Ventanas al Mar
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel(Cozumel)
View Hotel
All reviewsget away from it allwaves crashing on the rocksheart shaped poolhatching seasonorder ahead of timehuevos rancherosno electricityruebenfacing the seabreakfasts were wonderfulcross breezewild riceamazing locationhighly recommend renting a carair conditioningwi ficold shower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My children and I loved this place, the staff is like family especially Don Coco. We went out one night to watch the huge turtles lay their eggs one of the many higlights of staying in this hotel. The only thing that would make this the perfect spot would be AC.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Luz R
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Well I put off writing the review because I wanted to make sure I didn't forget anything and I had so many great things to say about this place. Of course, now, 2 months later, I still don't think I can capture how amazing this place is in words. My boyfriend and I enjoyed Cozumel, but Ventanas al Mar is the only reason we plan to return.

Gary and Lupita were just wonderful. They were extremely pleasant to talk to and made us feel completely welcome. I feel as though they would go out of their way to accommodate their guests and try to be as helpful as they could for any questions or concerns one might have.

The hotel was very quiet, I think one night we were the only couple there. For me, this is part of the appeal...though I feel if more people knew about this gem, it would fill up nicely. The location is absolutely breathtaking. There is no ac, but we were never overly warm as the ocean breeze was enough to keep us cool at night. We did have internet access in the lobby, which was nice to keep in contact with our family back home. Breakfast each morning was so delicious and there was a nice variety on the menu. There is no fridge, but a cooler was provided and we could purchase bags of ice on site for just 20 pesos (same as you would pay in town). We went to the Mega on the other side of town and purchased enough to make sandwiches for lunch throughout the week, and went out to dinner most nights. We rented a cute lil bug from Isis, which was perfect for getting around. As others mentioned, the road is closed in the evening, but show your room key and you will be sent on your way without hassle.

It is not a 5 star luxurious hotel, but it is clean, well kept, and perfect for those who really just want to get away from it all.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank djenah79
Reviewed June 22, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night and had the greatest time!

The service was great! Our bags were carried to our room and the gentleman recommended the restaurant next door for a quick drink before sunset.

The rooms are large and very nice. The upstairs rooms have these great balconies that overlook the ocean. We sat on the balcony listening to our iPod and the waves crashing until the early morning. It was a truly wonderful evening. I also slept amazing... we slept with the sliding glass doors wide open to catch that wonderful ocean breeze.

In the morning, breakfast is included in the price of the room. They have a menu that has about 5 different choices for eggs, fresh fruit, choice of drinks, etc. The food was great!

I recommend this hotel to everyone I know! I can't wait to stay here again!

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on the top floor.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ams1906
Reviewed May 13, 2011

The Ventanas al Mar is a great place to relax and get away from it all.

The key to the hotel is its location. It is the only hotel on the entire east side of the island, situated on a small cliff overlooking the ocean, with wide-open expanses of gorgeous, sandy beach stretching off to each side. Every room has a double-doored balcony or terrace that opens onto a stunning view of the ocean. You can spend days relaxing in the ocean-breeze and watching the waves lapping against the shore.

This alone makes it a rare, special place. But the Ventanas offers even more than it's location. The managers, Lupita and Gary, are friendly, helpful and dedicated to making your stay enjoyable. The staff are also wonderful and do a splendid job looking after the grounds and providing the delicious, ample breakfasts that come with your stay.

The hotel it self is charmingly decorated. The beach is lovely and the ocean, when the waves are not too big, offers wonderful opportunities to swim and play in the waves. There are warnings about rip currents and undertows on the east side of Cozumel, but when the waves aren't too big that doesn't seem to be a problem.

The hotel would appeal to those with particular tastes. It is very simple - there is no air conditioning (Not often needed with the steady breeze), no television, no refrigerator (a cooler is provided that your can fill with ice for 2 pesos) and the hot water comes and goes. This is because the hotel generates its own electricity via solar panels and a generator. Also, if wide open oceans, sweeping beaches and tranquility are not your thing then you might want to look somewhere else because there's almost nothing else around the Ventanas. Indeed the road on the east side of the island is closed by the police every night at 6:00 (though hotel guests can still access the road with proof of their stay). So it is very remote. I would strongly advise anyone staying at the Ventanas rent a car or a scooter to get around and load up on groceries before you go. Downtown San Miguel is only a 15 minute ride away. There are a couple of restaurants up and down the beach, including Coconuts right beside the hotel, but the pickings are slim and the prices are very high, about double what you would pay in town. Relaxing at the hotel is wonderful, but it is nice to have the option to drive to town for dinner or hop in your car and go for an explore.

I highly recommend the Ventanas al Mar - it is a unique experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor room for a private balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VgabndHapy
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We just returned from spending an entire week at Ventanas al Mar. It was absolutely the best vacation I have ever been on. Ventanas manager Lupita and her husband Gary felt like family by the end of the trip, we will be back as soon as we can.

The isolation of the hotel may not be for everyone...for us, it felt like we were on our own island. The waves crashing on the rocks every night, brilliant moonlight, stars that I can't remember ever seeing so bright.

The rooms are comfortable, clean, and simple. We knew before we got there that there would be no fridge or coffee makers in the room. Breakfast served by Coco every morning on the patio overlooking the ocean more than made up for that. Breakfast consisted of a perfect plate of fruit served with yogurt and granola followed by eggs/bread of your choice. I had Huevos Rancheros every single morning though, because it was prepared with an awesome homemade salsa every day. They do provide large coolers to use in your rooms for drinks and ice which can be purchased from Coco for $2USD a bag or 20 pesos.

We would suggest making a big run to the grocery store on your first day to stock up on snacks and supplies as they are not easy to come by on the east side of the island. Coconuts is open for dinner until 7P and has excellent food...but if you don't make it in time for dinner you may want to have something in the room. We made our own guacamole a few nights and ate fresh fruit and beers on our patio instead of going out--it was all perfect.

As you will read in the other reviews the water was not always hot and it does run out very occasionally until the pumps are manually adjusted on the roof but none of this could deter us from returning for the incredible views and Lupita and Gary's hospitality. It truly was a perfect vacation.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple